Page 49 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 980 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
  1. #961  
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    ... Is webos going anywhere in the meantime? .. No. Will there be new hardware? No ...

    Problem with an OS going nowhere is
    a) not stepping forward equals stepping backwards
    b) the only WebOS driven hardware in existence won't stay functional forever
    c) people see greener grass in other yards and are constantly running off, users as well as die hard devs (see how many updates Preware has had in the last weeks i.e.)

    "Time" is one of the major luxuries you don't have in the IT business and therefore "waiting" is something you don't do if you value your business...

    Sad to say, but WebOS has become a dinosaur, and ACL might be too late to become the Jurassic Park of WebOS.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  2. #962  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Well that's only another 13 years to beat my all time favorite Vaporware Duke Nukem Forever: List of vaporware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Optimus Maximus was Vaporware for a long time but got released eventually. Guys (and girls), just sit tight and be patient, trust me on this one
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/09/2013 at 02:41 AM.
  3. #963  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The Optimus Maximus was Vaporware for a long time but got released eventually. Guys (and girls), just sit tight and be patient, trust me on this one
    hehe...I'm sitting on the bandwagon waiting in anticipation -- nearly hyperventilating with gross anticipation.
    Hopefully by then the rickerty wheels of the webos platform does not fall off by then..hehe.. a bit or sarcasm here not targetted at anyone in particular but the morass of a situation webos users are in lol.
  4. #964  
    Something interesting... https://twitter.com/pixiet35/status/387886750883790848



    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byNlLNQV2mQ[/YT]
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/09/2013 at 08:33 AM.
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
  5. #965  
    Waiting is very bad. As each day goes by there are probably less and less TP being used. This app can slow that down. Waiting means less people are going to be buying this app.

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  6. #966  
    For those playing the ACL for webOS trivia game you may have noticed yesterdays facebook post from PIC.
    "This time the recording of the extractions has taken more time due...our marketing guys have updated their HP Touchpad with #ACLforwebOS Pre-Release!!!"
    Watching the video of the TP running Number Generator which is Android software is markedly better than they've ever shown it before. Comments on the post from those inquiring about early backer access to the prerelease have gone unanswered as of yet.
    Watch the video [YT]http://m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1#/watch?v=HRDECJzM3vw[/YT]
    If you haven't seen any of the trivia videos check any of the previous videos to compare the progress. Looks promising to me. This webOS user isn't going anywhere so the "impatient-pants" naysaying, stomping their feet, and whining about the timeline from PIC...ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/09/2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added YT video
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  7. #967  
    For those playing the ACL for webOS trivia game you may have noticed yesterdays facebook post from PIC.
    "This time the recording of the extractions has taken more time due...our marketing guys have updated their HP Touchpad with #ACLforwebOS Pre-Release!!!"
    Watching the video of the TP running Number Generator which is Android software is markedly better than they've ever shown it before. Comments on the post from those inquiring about early backer access to the prerelease have gone unanswered as of yet.
    Watch the video *http://m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&t...?v=HRDECJzM3vw
    If you haven't seen any of the trivia videos check any of the previous videos to compare the progress. Looks promising to me. This webOS user isn't going anywhere so the "impatient-pants" naysaying, stomping their feet, and whining about the timeline from PIC...ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I don't think it is impatient or unreasonable to ask for a response from PIC, since they are 11 days behind THEIR schedule for the release and have not communicated with us. If they would just come out and say they are still a little behind because of problem X, and they should be able to release by day X, that would be better than nothing at all. I don't know about you but I am getting tired of watching videos of ACL running on other people's TouchPad. We have over a dozen videos already. I want to see this running on MY TouchPad. :-(


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/09/2013 at 01:59 PM.
  8. #968  
    What he said⬆
  9. #969  
    This is what happens when you a) make a promise to someone, like give a date, b) miss that date several times, c) don't communicate with the ones you promised for over a week and a half:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...12461#comments

    People are pissed off and rightfully so. I agree with some of the other posters. I don't care if there are minor bugs with the software right now as long as PIC will fix it in the future. Just release the software already. For Pete's sake most of us here run buggy versions of Android on our TouchPads. Minor bugs are expected. If PIC waits around to release a perfect product, it will never get released and PIC/OM might as well close up shop because no one in this community will ever trust them again.

    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/09/2013 at 02:00 PM.
  10. sarlo100's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #970  
    I don't know that rushing is the answer, either. That's kind of what killed off webOS in the first place. Think about it, the Touchpad was originally slaughtered in reviews because it was a buggy beta release. Had it been released at 3.0.2, with triple the apps in the store at launch, history may well have been different. Well, that and a price point $100 less across the board as well.

    Whatever pulse webOS has left is riding on this piece of software. It better be right.
  11. #971  
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlo100 View Post
    I don't know that rushing is the answer, either. That's kind of what killed off webOS in the first place. Think about it, the Touchpad was originally slaughtered in reviews because it was a buggy beta release. Had it been released at 3.0.2, with triple the apps in the store at launch, history may well have been different. Well, that and a price point $100 less across the board as well.

    Whatever pulse webOS has left is riding on this piece of software. It better be right.
    Not to go to far off track but a lot of successful products today had buggy initial releases. The difference between those products and the TouchPad is that their manufacturers did not give up on them. They kept improving them and made them better. I'm not saying release it and walk away. I'm saying release it and continue to improve it.

    In my profession we write orders that effect thousands of lives and billions of dollars worth of equipment. We try to get the orders right the first time, but not a one of us believes that the orders we produce will be perfect. We set a time table to release the initial order and, unless there is an outside force way beyond our control, we release that order on time. We then submit changes to the order as we find mistakes or conditions change.

    I look at the software industry in the same light. If someone expects to recieve software, especially an initial release without bugs, he or she is a damn fool. Same goes for the people issuing the software. Nothing made by man is perfect. Anyone who says they recieved a perfect release of whatever software from whatever company is lying through their teeth. What counts is the support after the release. As long as PIC continues to fix bugs and improve on the software, they will have loyal customers.

    Case in point, IOS7 is buggy. Apple is fixing the bugs. Windows 7/8 are buggy, Microsoft is fixing the bugs. All Linux distros are buggy, several developers are working to fix those bugs. I could go on and on....
  12. #972  
    I have a cheeseburger available for preorder and you just purchased it. This cheeseburger has been around on the web for other people to buy for years but it is finally becoming available for you to eat. The release date is tomorrow. Currently, I have the bun, cheese, raw ground beef smashed into patty form, pickles that aren't sliced, a tomato also not sliced, a head of lettuce from the garden, and a bottle full of ketchup. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will have it delivered to your door by dinner time tomorrow.

    My grill ran out of gas. I had to go to the store to buy more before I could grill the burger.
    My knives are too dull to cut the tomato. I had to sharpen them.
    My knives were so sharp I cut myself slicing the pickles and I had to go to the emergency room, discard the dirty pickles, and start over.
    The lettuce was bad on the inside and I had to go find a new one in the garden.
    The ketchup bottle was clogged so I had to unclog it.
    The buns were moldy so I had to go to the bakery to buy new ones. On the way to the bakery I got a flat tire and had to get a tow truck to come get me.
    I finally get home to finish the burger but I've missed the delivery driver who was coming to pick up the sandwich to deliver it to you tomorrow. Looks like I can't meet my suspense. I tried really hard and tomorrow I'm not going to waste time calling you about the delay but rather I'm going to put all my effort into ensuring this type of thing doesn't happen again.

    You know what I could have done? I could have stacked all that stuff up in between that moldy bread and delivered it to you on time. That way you at least have SOMETHING but I know that's not the type of quality product I would want nor you would expect especially when other people's cheeseburgers they've been eating for years look and taste perfect. Granted, I could have mailed you a better bun the next day, sliced pickles next week, and a grilled patty next month so you could upgrade that original undone/incomplete cheeseburger but I don't want to do that because if I'm putting my name on something it will be great when you do get it and not eventually after you've had it for a while.

    BREAK
    Ok scenario over. The fact is, we have NO idea why PIC hasn't released anything yet. We ASSUME it's because of hardware acceleration but aren't positive. It could be a problem with money between OM and PIC and that's why there's no update available because neither company is going to air dirty laundry like that online. Please, open your mind to possibilities and remain calm.
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/09/2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  13. #973  
    i'm sympathetic to K4ever and others. Phoenix/ACL could deliver a communications update which corrects the one they said earlier that the pre-release candidates would receive a copy last week. They've missed a few deadlines and K4ever and others have been patient throughout.

    That said, the intention of Phoenix at least on the kickstarter page was to deliver the final release pretty quickly after the pre-release , so if the quality is not there yet, I can see why they would drag on the pre-release copies.
  14. #974  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I have a cheeseburger available for preorder and you just purchased it. This cheeseburger has been around on the web for other people to buy for years but it is finally becoming available for you to eat. The release date is tomorrow. Currently, I have the bun, cheese, raw ground beef smashed into patty form, pickles that aren't sliced, a tomato also not sliced, a head of lettuce from the garden, and a bottle full of ketchup. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will have it delivered to your door by dinner time tomorrow.

    My grill ran out of gas. I had to go to the store to buy more before I could grill the burger.
    My knives are too dull to cut the tomato. I had to sharpen them.
    My knives were so sharp I cut myself slicing the pickles and I had to go to the emergency room, discard the dirty pickles, and start over.
    The lettuce was bad on the inside and I had to go find a new one in the garden.
    The ketchup bottle was clogged so I had to unclog it.
    The buns were moldy so I had to go to the bakery to buy new ones. On the way to the bakery I got a flat tire and had to get a tow truck to come get me.
    I finally get home to finish the burger but I've missed the delivery driver who was coming to pick up the sandwich to deliver it to you tomorrow. Looks like I can't meet my suspense. I tried really hard and tomorrow I'm not going to waste time calling you about the delay but rather I'm going to put all my effort into ensuring this type of thing doesn't happen again.

    You know what I could have done? I could have stacked all that stuff up in between that moldy bread and delivered it to you on time. That way you at least have SOMETHING but I know that's not the type of quality product I would want nor you would expect especially when other people's cheeseburgers they've been eating for years look and taste perfect. Granted, I could have mailed you a better bun the next day, sliced pickles next week, and a grilled patty next month so you could upgrade that original undone/incomplete cheeseburger but I don't want to do that because if I'm putting my name on something it will be great when you do get it and not eventually after you've had it for a while.

    BREAK
    Ok scenario over. The fact is, we have NO idea why PIC hasn't released anything yet. We ASSUME it's because of hardware acceleration but aren't positive. It could be a problem with money between OM and PIC and that's why there's no update available because neither company is going to air dirty laundry like that online. Please, open your mind to possibilities and remain calm.
    Luvs me some cheezeburger.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  15. #975  
    I'm following this project with growing interest because it's probably what will determine wheter I'll buy or not a TouchPad on eBay. I hope for some official news and a release in the next... Let's say weeks.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
  16. #976  
    I didn't pay 30 dollars for a cheeseburger.
  17. #977  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    I didn't pay 30 dollars for a cheeseburger.
    There's always a literalist in the group...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  18. sarlo100's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #978  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Case in point, IOS7 is buggy. Apple is fixing the bugs. Windows 7/8 are buggy, Microsoft is fixing the bugs. All Linux distros are buggy, several developers are working to fix those bugs. I could go on and on....
    Apple and Microsoft are each class leaders in their various markets, and as such, they have more leeway. HP and webOS were already playing catch-up, and when you're competing against the big boys, you better have at least one ace in your hand. That Leo panicked and acted like a damn fool is beyond question, but in a situation where you're trying to break into a market with a leader that has set an example of high quality, bringing a buggy, half generation old product in with a premium price tag is a recipe for failure. WebOS itself could have been the ace, but it wasn't presented as one, with fatal consequences for the platform.

    Now, in this case, webOS is really down to its final, ghost of a chance. Normal rules don't apply. If this fails, webOS is certainly doomed. Even if this succeeds, webOS will need to pull several inside straights to recover. There is no slack in the rope, just as there was very little slack in the rope when HP introduced the Touchpad. It had to be a winner, and it wasn't at launch. It got better, but it didn't have the slack in the rope from the market for that to make a difference.

    Whether HP quickly releasing a "Touchpad 2" based on 3.0.5 and advanced hardware would have changed the fortunes enough to matter is an esoteric debate at this point. HP probably should have done it, but the market was already stacked so far against webOS at that point, it's hard to say that would have mattered.

    Sometimes, a first impression means everything.
  19. #979  
    Apple and Microsoft are each class leaders in their various markets, and as such, they have more leeway. HP and webOS were already playing catch-up, and when you're competing against the big boys, you better have at least one ace in your hand. That Leo panicked and acted like a damn fool is beyond question, but in a situation where you're trying to break into a market with a leader that has set an example of high quality, bringing a buggy, half generation old product in with a premium price tag is a recipe for failure. WebOS itself could have been the ace, but it wasn't presented as one, with fatal consequences for the platform.

    Now, in this case, webOS is really down to its final, ghost of a chance. Normal rules don't apply. If this fails, webOS is certainly doomed. Even if this succeeds, webOS will need to pull several inside straights to recover. There is no slack in the rope, just as there was very little slack in the rope when HP introduced the Touchpad. It had to be a winner, and it wasn't at launch. It got better, but it didn't have the slack in the rope from the market for that to make a difference.

    Whether HP quickly releasing a "Touchpad 2" based on 3.0.5 and advanced hardware would have changed the fortunes enough to matter is an esoteric debate at this point. HP probably should have done it, but the market was already stacked so far against webOS at that point, it's hard to say that would have mattered.

    Sometimes, a first impression means everything.
    This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but I have to disagree. Tenacity and commitment (to your product and customers) matters more than anything else in life. Never giving up is the key to success. People tend to forget that. HP had the resources to overcome a few setbacks with webOS, they just didn't have the balls.

    Back on subject, PIC/OM could release a product with a few bugs in it and still be successful. They need to be honest and upfront about the bugs when they release the product. Then they have to be quick and committed to fixing those bugs. Both builds trust with their customers. Bug riddened first releases of Cyanogenmod has not stopped folks from installing it on their devices. The CM team is upfront about the bugs and committed to fixing them in future releases.

    Anyone thinking that ACL is going to be the one and only savior of webOS and a successful launch of it matters that much is not grasping reality. Blackberry OS 10 has Android support and is similar to webOS. Android support did not save that OS or company. ACL might be necessary for the continued survival of webOS in the short term, but its going to take more than ACL for webOS to survive in the long term.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    RumoredNow and eKeith like this.
  20. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #980  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    b) the only WebOS driven hardware in existence won't stay functional forever(
    that is correct, but if the webOS-hardware is not working any longer, you do not need ACL too.

    And ACL will not replace an Android tablet at all, it is only usefull, if you are mostly still using webOS and webOS-apps and there are just some apps that are not available, but would be working with ACL on webOS.

    But if these "some apps" are really important, people have already moved to an other platform ...

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
    By SeiGraph in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10/09/2012, 12:23 PM
  2. Mobile Wallet Roll Out Starts With Small Change
    By ilovedessert in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/20/2011, 11:16 AM
  3. cannot find an app to open a pic??
    By visorhawk in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07/19/2010, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06/03/2010, 05:12 AM
  5. Side Kick 1. Unlock? T-mobile Only
    By SCP_DRUMS in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08/25/2006, 12:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions