Page 46 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647484950515696 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Nope, this was all after Leo, I don't even remember any talk of OM before Leo killed everything in the earnings call.
    OpenMobile Aims to Solve "Apps Problem" for MeeGo (and other OSes) [video] | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more
    OpenMobile working with HP to make Android apps on webOS a reality | webOS Nation

some oldish 2011/2012 ACL/OM related posts/threads etc, theres loads but hard to track after such a long time.

heres an early 2012 post that supposedly shows an OM spokesperson saying they are working with HP
    OpenMobile update!!!

quick snippet from that is.....

Code:
    The Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) will be available from HP and directly from us
     ...it will be as I have been telling a few bloggers sub $10 for ACL...and once thats downloaded
     and installed you will get immediate access to many many free apps from almost all of the
     Android markets..
    whole threads worth reading, thats from 2012, there is/should be one from 2011 somewhere, their annoying to find after all this time.

if people who wonder why theres so much distrust of OM, its worth reading this old thread and the other ones if anyone can find them to see that weve been pulled along by the nose for quite some time which is why a lot are upset with OM, and thats just us, i'd imagine the meego/tizen/etc crowd have just gone glossy eyed and given up.

info in 2nd post of that thread is funny
    OpenMobile update!!!

which states

Code:
    """""To share a bit of background, we are currently considering offering a downloadable version
    of our Application Compatibility Layer (ACL™) technology for webOS consumers.""""
    which is dated feb'2012
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Buddy1969 likes this.
  2. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    PIC has teamed up with Zoopda.com to connect with webOS fans in China
    I wouldn't be surprised if ZooPDA will be one of the first places where illegal copies of "ACL" will appear (if "Phoenix" ever releases it). Though they'd deserve that.
    as far as I can see, this is a chinese PDA news site and if PIC want to expand to the other world it is not the worsed option to work with them.

All of us know, that in countries like China or Russia the "laws" according copyright are different, but to imply PIC/OM that they support a warrez site is quite ... unfair, using friendly words.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    renater likes this.
  4. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Funny, and now it is "confirmed" that ACL will not be available via the App Catalog, they describe how to install ACL via WebOS Quick Install :-)
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    As pointed out by WebOS Internals on Twitter, PIC's app description is quite similar to PHD. Thought this was pretty funny. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Preware Homebrew Documentation
    The official source for information about Preware, WebOS Internals, and Homebrew Applications, Patches and Overclocking Kernels. Rod Whitby (the founder/lead of WebOS Internals, and architect of the Preware webOS homebrew ecosystem) has gathered together an extensive collection of official documentation about the Preware Homebrew Installer and other Homebrew Applications, Patches and Overclocking Kernels. Proceeds from the sale of this application go directly to supporting the development of Preware and other free homebrew applications. Preware Homebrew Documentation includes step-by-step guides with many helpful screenshots for installing Preware, and other Hombrew Applications, Patches and Overclocking Kernels. Don't settle for second-hand information - get your homebrew information directly from the developers who wrote the Preware application & created the homebrew standards and ecosystem. Please tell your friends about this application to help spread awareness of the thousands of safe, high quality, free homebrew applications, patches and kernels that are available in Preware for your webOS device. You can expect regular updates of this application containing the latest homebrew information from WebOS Internals, and please follow @webosinternals on Twitter for up-to-the-minute homebrew news. If you have any problems when installing Preware or any of the other items in this application, just use the official reference documentation and PreCentral.net forum links throughout the application and on the Help page to get direct access to a large community of users and developers who will be happy to help you get the most out of your homebrew journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACL Documentation
    The official source for information about OpenMobile ACL for webOS, and Phoenix International Communications. OpenMobile ACL for webOS makes it possible to run Android apps on webOS HP TouchPad. A powerful app ecosystem without emulation, virtualization, nor change in performance or user experience. ACL Documentation includes step-by-step guides with many helpful screenshots for installing OpenMobile ACL for webOS on your HP TouchPad. Don't settle for second-hand information: get your ACL for webOS information directly from the developers who have created and are distributing it on the market. Please tell your friends about this application to help spread awareness of the hundreds of thousands of Android applications that are installable on your webOS HP TouchPad thanks to the ACL for webOS. You can expect regular updates of this application containing the latest ACL for webOS news. In the app you will find all the links to follow us on twitter (@phxdevices) and on facebook as well. If you have any inquiries about the install process, or you need any type of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us using our online contact form or our forum reachable on our website (PIC - Phoenix International Communications).
    Based upon @webosinternals response to the similarity of the PHD and ACLD app descriptions, I'm guessing they didn't ask permission before copy/pasting. Not too cool.

But what really grabs my attention is the "nor change in performance or user experience" blurb. This indicates a claim that Android apps running with ACL will run identically as if they were running natively (i.e. with something like CM10). Based upon all the demo videos they've posted, the performance isn't even close. The only video that looks close to native is the one they posted with hardware acceleration turned on. But based upon their latest update, it sounds like they have issues when hardware acceleration is turned on.

But even if they work out those issues and it runs pretty close to native speed in all apps, having ACL based upon Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) does not provide an identical "user experience" vs. CM10 running Jellybean. Many apps will not run as they would on Jellybean (not all features present) and some apps won't even run at all.

So I'm not sure "nor change in performance or user experience" is a completely accurate representation of the current ACL implementation.

Hopefully the ACL documentation app clearly indicates that ACL is based upon Android 2.3. This will be important for users to know.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Rnp likes this.
    Hi Dan!
    Rnp likes this.
  8. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    So I'm not sure "nor change in performance or user experience" is a completely accurate representation of the current ACL implementation.
    I see this from a "different" point of view.

Depending on the app, the performance of the Android-app running with ACL might be similar to the apps existing for webOS. In addition I think, because I assume that ACL is not an Android emulator, that there don't has to be a lot off performance loss. Looking at "Wine" for Linux or Odin32 for OS/2 f.ex. who just rebuild some APIs to be able to run Windows programs, while most APIs are just translated to native APIs what can be done quite fast.

And not to much change in "user experience" is very welcome to me, if I wanted the Android "experience" on my TouchPad I would have installed CM9/CM10 or would have replaced my TouchPad with an Android one.

But I want to have as much "webOS user experience" as possible, so hopefully Android-app running with ACL will not "destroy" too much of the "experience" on my webOS TouchPad :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I see this from a "different" point of view.

Depending on the app, the performance of the Android-app running with ACL might be similar to the apps existing for webOS.
    You may be right that they were speaking of the performance vs. similar native webOS apps. But even so, all the demo videos I've seen suggests Android apps run much slower. Without hardware acceleration enabled, there appears to be serious lag when using apps.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Hi Dan!
    Hello!

Rnp likes this.
    You may be right that they were speaking of the performance vs. similar native webOS apps. But even so, all the demo videos I've seen suggests Android apps run much slower. Without hardware acceleration enabled, there appears to be serious lag when using apps.
    LOL, I'm gonna go the other way... Because there are 459375046906859068273582759843709856340968509674576056849860586460 + 3 different Android devices, no app can be guaranteed to run the same on every device, thus no matter how it runs, there will be "nor change in performance or user experience".

Either way, having seen what BB can do, I doubt this will even live up to the BB Android runtime experience.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL, I'm gonna go the other way... Because there are 459375046906859068273582759843709856340968509674576056849860586460 + 3 different Android devices, no app can be guaranteed to run the same on every device, thus no matter how it runs, there will be "nor change in performance or user experience".

Either way, having seen what BB can do, I doubt this will even live up to the BB Android runtime experience.
    You're right Android apps can run very differently on different devices. But I was referring to the speed of apps running on the TouchPad (via CM9/CM10) vs. under ACL. To me that's an apple/apple comparison since it's the same hardware. If it's significantly slower on the same hardware that runs native Android, then "nor change in performance" is not accurate.

HelloNNNewman likes this.
  13. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    If it's significantly slower on the same hardware that runs native Android, then "nor change in performance" is not accurate.
    I think that this depends very much on the app and if it needs graphics acceleration or not.

I think that this will not be a to big issue for me, so I do not care too much what they "promise".

Much more important for me is the stability and how it integrates into webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I think that this depends very much on the app and if it needs graphics acceleration or not.

I think that this will not be a to big issue for me, so I do not care too much what they "promise".

Much more important for me is the stability and how it integrates into webOS.
    mine is simply to provide to me the few things android gives via 1-2 apps only that webOS currently does not, currently that is just netflix and tvcatchup which unfortunatly lives/dies on gfx acceleration.

might add in uae4all2 in that list as well, so ok thats 3 im after.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    You're right Android apps can run very differently on different devices. But I was referring to the speed of apps running on the TouchPad (via CM9/CM10) vs. under ACL. To me that's an apple/apple comparison since it's the same hardware. If it's significantly slower on the same hardware that runs native Android, then "nor change in performance" is not accurate.
    I'm with you Dan... I get to play with a far more advanced Android runtime, and personally am waiting for someone to surprise me, with ACL on any device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    4 more days. The wait is agonizing!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    cbosdell likes this.
    I know!!
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Kickstarter update

I'm looking forward to receive any version at this stage. Don't need graphical acceleration now. A good beta is fine for now. Give the early access testers two weeks to provide feedback and in the mean time you can work on improvements including graphical acceleration. Then release a 0.99 version with graphical acc. and allow us all to provide some feedback before a final release in say another fortnight.

BTW anyone still waiting for the t-shirts etc from the Kickstarter? Haven't seen mine yet.
    "Thanks for all your patience with our delays over the past few weeks.

We are currently in the process of implementing some fixes which should allow us to issue an ACL Preview version to our Pre-release and Early Access backers for testing next week.

There will be some items outstanding at this stage, but it will be complete enough to allow you to really dive in and and experience most of the benefits of ACL right away, and will serve you well until we finish up the official release version.

Those that have preordered the software through the kickstarter campaign may be eligible to receive this version if Phoenix feels the quality of the product is there; However, those who have purchased through the Phoenix Store will come next.

We are placing the final release date on hold until everything is complete. As it is still to early to say just how long completing the final release will take, but we feel that once we get over this final hump everything will go smoothly. "

Does this mean it won't be released on Monday? They say "next week" and only " if Phoenix feels the quality of the product is there".
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    The post is strangely written but it looks like the pre-release folks will get it next week. So I give them credit for being close to their revised deadline of Sept 30th with one group.

It looks like they have not made a decision yet about the kickstarter folks but are awaiting some kind of evaluation (from whom?) as to how finished the product is before releasing it to kickstarter.

It looks like those who bought from the phoenix store are, in any case, definitely not getting it now. And originally I think the pre-release folks were supposed to get it a week (or two?) before the others but they say in the post you copied that they are not submitting a revised final release date. So is there some big problem (graphics acceleration?) which they can't figure out yet?