Page 45 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    It will affect all apps to a small degree, but it will be very noticeable in games. But, they aren't going to release two versions, so it's irrelevant.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Hmmm...

Those who know what they are talking about expressed concerns about the original schedule and in fact, the (relatively) small budget, given the going rate for the skills required on this kind of project. I think Mr Whitby reminded us all that it's never certain that a software project will be completed at all until it is finally released.

Since then, the schedule has been revised dramatically, now the finish line is incrementally pushed back.

I hope this final hurdle won't prove insurmountable for PIC, because they seem so close. As I hear the faint sound of knives being sharpened, I'd like to point out that if this project fails, OM are basically finished. No one was buying their product before and if they can't bring the webOS version to market - game over. I think this is their one chance to prove themselves.

For PIC also - I'd guess all their capital came from the kickstarter, so there's not much they can do if ACL doesn't happen. They have gambled on webOS as a commercial proposition despite all logic suggesting it's hopeless.

For the general user of webOS, this is a project which will keep them on board while (we hope) a way to get webOS on new hardware is found. If it fails, all that will remain is the diehards and hackers.

tl;dr : No one involved in this can really afford to lose.

Anyway, it's not webOS without these up and downs!

We can afford to give the benefit of the doubt to PIC for the rest of the month. Compare the development time (and likely cost) of LG's work in taking a fully functional OS and turning it into a fancy channel changer* on their own hardware. No release until next year, I think!

*Ok, this is for rhetorical effect! ;-) I'm sure the LG team will release the most awesome multimedia/gaming/video conferencing device ever, catching Sony, Samsung, Xbox and google tv flatfooted thanks to the power of webOS...maybe
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/18/2013 at 12:55 PM.
    hulickr likes this.
    My two cents: nobody should be surprised the schedule slipped based on all the early discussion. I do hope they are able to resolve the issues, and have a reserved amount of confidence.

- Matt
    hulickr likes this.
    Sorry to hear this - will continue to hope for the best for these guys. Thanks for the update.
    They have partnered with a warez site, why should they be taken any serious?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It will affect all apps to a small degree, but it will be very noticeable in games. But, they aren't going to release two versions, so it's irrelevant.
    They don't need to "release" (I assume you actually meant "maintain") two versions. Release the current version now, as a public beta with a warning about the graphic acceleration. Then, when they get the kinks ironed out, release the final version.

If it's good enough for Google, why not ACL? :-)

...ken...
    Google, the king of beta software.

That's what they've done with the beta testers, but I know you mean generally available. I understand why you want it, but as a dev, I understand why they would not.

- Matt
    Yeah, I'm a retired IT professional who paid my dues as a dev and managed tech support for years so I completely get it.

But I'm mostly a user now, and sufficiently technical to be my own tech support. And I'm a terribly impatient person!

...ken...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    My two cents: nobody should be surprised the schedule slipped based on all the early discussion. I do hope they are able to resolve the issues, and have a reserved amount of confidence.

- Matt
    As many of us in the software dev field have likely experienced at one point or another, a project can seem entirely feasible based on prior knowledge and research, but then discover well into the project an unforeseen issue, that proves unsolvable, either technically, or due to the effort or $$$ required exceed the budget or capabilities of the resources assigned to solve it..

I took the gamble to support it, and rather expected it (the timeline) was likely optimistic. But at least they are communicating, and so far it is slippage, not failure. I'm not trashing anyone unless there's a failure. As of today, we have a typical software project which doesn't require any pitchforks. :-) Someone already quoted R Whitby's words of wisdom on such projects. :-)
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    They should work fine, I don't care too much about graphics acceleration myself either but lots of people do. Good to see that PIC wants to deliver the best possible product and that they will not release something they're not 100% happy with.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    vgg likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Eh?
    PIC has teamed up with Zoopda.com to connect with webOS fans in China
    I wouldn't be surprised if ZooPDA will be one of the first places where illegal copies of "ACL" will appear (if "Phoenix" ever releases it). Though they'd deserve that.

Edit: You people who gave "Phoenix" money basically supported software piracy and copyright violation.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    As I hear the faint sound of knives being sharpened, I'd like to point out that if this project fails, OM are basically finished. No one was buying their product before and if they can't bring the webOS version to market - game over. I think this is their one chance to prove themselves.
    To be clear, no one was buying their product before because they have never had a product to sell.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    To be clear, no one was buying their product before because they have never had a product to sell.
    Well...

PIC raised funds to develop a pre-exisiting alpha that had been demo-ed at various shows. Hence the short development time now.
    The ACL needs to be tweaked for specific hardware - the TP in this case.
    The reason given for OM previously halting development was problems over rights and the Apotheclypse.

My interpretation of this is that OM were hawking a prototype to various players in the mobile arena in the hope of receiving support (and money?) to develop a product that would close the app gap with Android. A bit like motionapps, "Classic" perhaps.

For whatever reasons - technical or political - nobody was buying and possibly could have blocked the product, so... is there a percentage in developing further until something shifts?

I think something to sell, but nothing finished for the final consumer.

Now, it's a safe bet that HP no longer cares what happens to it's old hardware, so PIC gets OM a green light and a bag of cash to finish the job (If they can...).
    Now, it's a safe bet that HP no longer cares what happens to it's old hardware, so PIC gets OM a green light and a bag of cash to finish the job (If they can...).
    Before P|C ever got involved, OM was supposidly working with HP on a deployment plan
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Before P|C ever got involved, OM was supposidly working with HP on a deployment plan
    Interesting! I did not know that. So actual negotiations happened? I see you write 'supposedly'...

I never heard that fact / rumour...

Presumably this was happening just before Leo pulled the switch? :-(
    Interesting! I did not know that. So actual negotiations happened? I see you write 'supposedly'...

i heard the supposed talks ended as fast as they started when OM required access to stuff HP werent willing or able to hand over, (maybe qualcomm/gfx related stuff HP didnt own?) and it died that death back then.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    So, as far as I understand, they have problems with the graphics acceleration.

Do I need this for all apps, or only for games?

I am not interested in games at all, what I want is a modern browser, a special maps-app available only on Android and a computer magazin-app. Will they work with the current version or not?
    Web browsers on android rely on acceleration to be usable, so web browsing would definitely be reduced performancewise
    Well... just give me Netflix & MX Player. The rest... can wait!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)

Nope, this was all after Leo, I don't even remember any talk of OM before Leo killed everything in the earnings call.