Page 44 of 105 FirstFirst ... 343940414243444546474849 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
  1. #861  
    I look at this from another perspective.. I believe that PIC looked at all of the options on the table, to include open source, and concluded that the best option was to go with OM's product. This project started in July and looks to be ready by the end of September. That is very short time, especially for hardware acceleration. This leads me to believe that the head start gained by going the OM route could be measured in months, not in weeks.

    The ability to offer an open source option for this has always been there. No one offered to start a project or ask for funding. We can't come down on PIC for taking the time and effort to do so on the close source side. I have a ton of webOS and Android apps that I nor the community has a license for and I am OK with that. I'm pretty sure others here feel the same way since we donated over $40,000 to this. The missed opportunity will not be attributed to there being a closed source option that everyone decided to paid for instead. It will be contributed to the fact that an open source project/option was not started first and will be way behind the closed source option when/if it ever materializes.
  2. #862  
    Any of you beta testers willing to test out some Exchange-compatible calendar and email clients? I need to check to see what is available and where..

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #863  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    any idea if the changes PIC are making end up working their way back to OM or are PIC making changes that affect us on our platform alone...
    I don't think PIC is making any changes at all, or at least it would surprise me. This is a OM product, even if it was a kick starter by PIC to get it moving again. I could just be forgetting something.

    - Matt
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/11/2013 at 12:10 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  4. #864  
    PIC is coordinating all this (project management) and also providing 'proof of concepts' to OM with regards to some webOS specific coding which OM incorporates, at least that's what I can see and feel comfortable to tell ;-) I'm sure Marc or Daniel could tell more :-)

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    geekpeter likes this.
  5. #865  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    I've been really quiet here because I've been pounding away on bug reports to help PIC work with OM to get this thing stable. I've recieved several releases since my New York trip (started at 0.4.7 - we are up to 0.4.13) and I just got the 3D accelerated release but even OM warned us it needs a bit more work before its ready for prime time. Hell - just getting the 3D accelerated graphics working is a really big thing! I was really surprised to learn just how hard OM is working to get this done.

    Are they going to make the target date? I think it's just going to be an issue of deciding when to say: "That's all we can get into a stable 1.0 release." But I think that people are really going to be pleasanly surprised when they do get their copies ... I know I am with what I have already.
    Are there "only" apps from the Openmobile App Store or were you able to install e.g. Amazon Market and get apps from there. Would be a big point in "long term" usabilty of ACL if we would not depend on OM to provide us apps.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  6. #866  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I look at this from another perspective.. I believe that PIC looked at all of the options on the table, to include open source, and concluded that the best option was to go with OM's product. This project started in July and looks to be ready by the end of September. That is very short time, especially for hardware acceleration. This leads me to believe that the head start gained by going the OM route could be measured in months, not in weeks.

    The ability to offer an open source option for this has always been there. No one offered to start a project or ask for funding. We can't come down on PIC for taking the time and effort to do so on the close source side. I have a ton of webOS and Android apps that I nor the community has a license for and I am OK with that. I'm pretty sure others here feel the same way since we donated over $40,000 to this. The missed opportunity will not be attributed to there being a closed source option that everyone decided to paid for instead. It will be contributed to the fact that an open source project/option was not started first and will be way behind the closed source option when/if it ever materializes.

    I am of the same thought as you. There are those who were thinking whether this PIC/OM solution is feasible and will take off. At the same time there are those who're suggesting that because the solution is partially based on Open source that OM 'should' do the right thing and open source it. My question is that right now at this juncture, what we need is a Working and Running solution. If we want to see Webos move someplace it has to work!... I am hoping for this PIC solution to work for the Touchpad and potentially the Pre 3, Touchpad Go and potentially the Openwebos.

    Now having said that -- even with PIC/OM ACL solution if it successfully GTM. Can we use the same solution and replicate to OpenWebos......we can but then we only have a half a solution for the webos fans....Openwebos is still not ready...and there lies the problem. Most of us if not all are clamoring for NEW hardware...and the OS is not even baked for any new hardware (no fault of openports), and unfortunately no one (or any group of fans) was willing to take the bull by the horn and put a working deadline on a actual running Open Webos on specific hardware....

    As I've said a few times, in our market (commercial) money talks...and if some group of people even those from the android dev based have the guts...do a groupfund and get Openwebos to GTM on specific hardware. I am sure even if they put a 4 -6 months timeline...and a value to this- like say how Redhat does things..it will still work. Hell I'd even subscribe and pay $$ to enhancements for the releases...
  7. #867  
    I doubt we'll see Pre3 happening, it already has low memory from stock due to chipset eating 128MB or more from available 512MB. Go might work. Open webOS doesn't support SDK apps yet, so I wouldn't count on it.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 09/12/2013 at 03:37 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #868  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Adding my 3 1/2 cents here:
    Touchpad GO users are anxiously awaiting the ACL.
    this is absolutely true for sure!

    CM10 isn't an option for us.
    Was there ever s.b. who tried this?
  9. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #869  
    Yesterday there was a short Twitter conversation:

    Thg Twi ‏@thgtwi 12 Sep
    @webOSPivotCE Well, would be more interested in open WebOS and a current browser, than in Pivot w/o much content ...

    pivotCE ‏@pivotCE 12 Sep
    @thgtwi Maybe you will be able to use @Opera with #acl from @phxdevices?

    Phoenix I.C. ‏@phxdevices 12 Sep
    @pivotCE @thgtwi @opera without maybe ...


    Unfortunately I only get "This video is not available in your country ..." :-(

    But it seems to be, that there is at last one more or less current browser working.

    @cuspie: What about Mozilla Firefox, did you tried that?
  10. #870  
    Can someone answer this? Won't ACL need a online license server? otherwise someone could buy it and put a download link online.
    Last edited by mrmarquis9; 09/13/2013 at 06:21 PM.
  11. #871  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Yesterday there was a short Twitter conversation:

    Thg Twi ‏@thgtwi 12 Sep
    @webOSPivotCE Well, would be more interested in open WebOS and a current browser, than in Pivot w/o much content ...

    pivotCE ‏@pivotCE 12 Sep
    @thgtwi Maybe you will be able to use @Opera with #acl from @phxdevices?

    Phoenix I.C. ‏@phxdevices 12 Sep
    @pivotCE @thgtwi @opera without maybe ...


    Unfortunately I only get "This video is not available in your country ..." :-(

    But it seems to be, that there is at last one more or less current browser working.

    @cuspie: What about Mozilla Firefox, did you tried that?
    The video is still available and yes opera is working. You can use a proxy to watch it. Back in may they demoed several browsers including Firefox, opera and maxthon.
    Here is a list of browsers available through the Amazon appstore http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...bosnation0e-20
    RumoredNow likes this.
  12. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #872  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    The video is still available and yes opera is working.
    :-)

    You can use a proxy to watch it.
    Probably there are ways to view it, but I am not willing to use any proxy. After PRISM an Tempora even less.

    But I got some more at Twitter:

    Phoenix I.C. ‏@phxdevices 14 Sep
    @thgtwi @pivotCE We've that too

    This video clip I can watch and besides Opera and some other browsers, they are also showing Firefox runnig.

    So one of my two or three apps I want to have on the TouchPad is working :-)
  13. #873  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    :-)

    Probably there are ways to view it, but I am not willing to use any proxy. After PRISM an Tempora even less.

    But I got some more at Twitter:

    Phoenix I.C. ‏@phxdevices 14 Sep
    @thgtwi @pivotCE We've that too
    Yup I've posted this link also ;-) . But, just by curiosity, what's the link btw a proxy and PRISM?
  14. #874  
    It's the 17th of September. Any word from PIC/OM yet?

    Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
  15. #875  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It's the 17th of September. Any word from PIC/OM yet?

    Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    So the 17th has come and gone. No new video from PIC showing apps running in the pre-release. No new announcements. No email from PIC. No replies to posts on the Kickstarter site or here. Not a good way to instill confidence in the folks that forked over their hard earned money for this...

    Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
  16. #876  
    I dare say we will hear something soon.....anyone from PIC want to comment.
  17. #877  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So the 17th has come and gone. No new video... No email ... No replies to posts ...
    /faking surprise
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  18. hrhoades's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #878  
    There is now a new comment/update on the Kickstarter site.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
  19. #879  
    Dear Backers and webOS community supporters,

    In the last couple updates we were excited to show you that the Graphics Acceleration implementation, the biggest remaining challenge to getting ACL shipped out to you by September 30th was almost complete, and that there were only a few issues that stood in the way of having an early release of ACL that would truly live up to everyone's expectations. Last week we told you that we would have dealt with those issues over the past week, and be releasing a near complete ACL release today. We had a clear view of what was causing the problems we were facing, and what we were confident were good ideas to tackle them. Unfortunately however, those approaches have failed. Despite our best efforts all of last week with team members from OpenMobile, Phoenix and outside volunteers working late nights and through the entire weekend, we have failed to correct the problems that activating acceleration have introduced. Now as you saw in the last videos, the graphics acceleration is indeed working, and is lightning fast, but there are still a couple issues that are disrupting the user interface when the acceleration is running.


    This does not mean that the problem has beaten us, rather we need to go back to the drawing board and devise a new plan of attack. We feel that our efforts are still only weeks away from completion and hope to have the acceleration delivered to you by September 30th as per our release date. With that said, this will not be a complete version, but do expect an update to come out a few short weeks later giving you the best possible product.

    We realize that we promised a final product for Kickstarter backers by the 23rd of September, but you as well will have to wait until the 30th of September for this release.

    We're very sorry about this - We made last week's commitment to you in good faith with what we believed was a solid strategy in place for tackling the issues, and we really hate disappointing you when you've been supporting us all along. As soon as we can be sure about the timeline we will let you know with an update here. For now, please do know that we are all working really hard on this and not a minute is being wasted - we are completely dedicated to getting ACL completed as soon as possible.

    Thank you for your understanding,

    PIC Team
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  20. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #880  
    So, as far as I understand, they have problems with the graphics acceleration.

    Do I need this for all apps, or only for games?

    I am not interested in games at all, what I want is a modern browser, a special maps-app available only on Android and a computer magazin-app. Will they work with the current version or not?

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
    By SeiGraph in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10/09/2012, 12:23 PM
  2. Mobile Wallet Roll Out Starts With Small Change
    By ilovedessert in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/20/2011, 11:16 AM
  3. cannot find an app to open a pic??
    By visorhawk in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07/19/2010, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06/03/2010, 05:12 AM
  5. Side Kick 1. Unlock? T-mobile Only
    By SCP_DRUMS in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08/25/2006, 12:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions