Page 42 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546475292 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    yes, and it continues. Today I got a package from Italy:

Attachment 67629

But why it comes from Italy?
    they probably got a good deal there that suited their needs.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Yeah, we know the history. And more history will be made.
    In a few months we will look back and either say: "nicely done, all former sins forgiven and forgotten" or say: "we always told you so! They suck!"

Time will tell.
    the sins probably wont be forgiven since its PIC standing up and doing the required stuff, OM technically still havent done much upfront themselves, i doubt they would even brag to the world about any success given that webOS is dead to the world at large and they would probably look bad bragging they have brought android to a platform you cant even properly buy anymore.

more a silent victory on OM's side, but a much bigger meaningful one on PIC's, OM imho still rank with HP in terms of hollow words.
    Remy X and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    yes, and it continues. Today I got a package from Italy:

Attachment 67629

But why it comes from Italy?
    Because DMeister, PIC's director of marketing lives in Italy and runs the webOS Italia forum...
    Cuspie, why have we not received any updates from you? How is ACL working so far?

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    Buddy1969 likes this.
    Maybe they snuffed him out for talking too much.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/03/2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Cuspie, why have we not received any updates from you? How is ACL working so far?

This is the best question I saw on webOS Nation Forums today.

He probably has a rash on his fingertips from playing all the fancy 2.3 Android games, so he can't type anything here anymore...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Remy X likes this.
    New Release Schedule:

ACL Beta Test Release: August 3rd
    ACL Early Access Preview (previously 2 weeks before official release): September 3rd
    ACL Pre-Release (previously 1 week before official release): September 10th
    ACL Kickstarter Backer's Special Preview: September 17th
    ACL Official Release: September 30th
    - See more at: ACL for webOS Release Schedule | PIC - Phoenix International Communications
    Is Phoenix going to stick to this schedule? Have people who paid for early access received their 'Preview' copy yet? Shouldn't Phoenix have the courtesy to at least put out a word on the status of ACL?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/06/2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Remy X and RumoredNow like this.
    Not seeing much lag at all. Could be quite the improvement. I'm glad they updated us...not that I care about games but it's still nice to see progress. 23 days til public release...

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NruqMhQo_xA[/YT]
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/06/2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edited to display YouTube vid in-line
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    eKeith and jc-Treo like this.
    If there's finally a big speed improvement, then Congrats PIC!
    Alan Morford likes this.
    The video is on the openmobile site, this suggests to me that Phoenix paid openmobile to finish developing the project and Phoenix is the intermediary that organized the kickstarter and paid for and shipped off the doodads.

Phoenix got to sell copies of the ACL also in the kickstarter so openmobile may have just asked them to guarantee presale of a certain number of ACL copies so that the project is a success. This would be a win-win for both companies as openmobile would get a successful project with users and perhaps also a number of users for a white label branded app store on the touchpad. And at least the kickstarter community is not just donating money for the dev work and a bunch of doodads, many are getting also the ACL product.

Phoenix may have gotten some of the extra money from the kickstarter beyond the $30K -$35K or maybe anything that is not the sale of ACL or maybe some split of ACL sales. This all is speculation.

Also if the white label openmobile store goes forward, am not sure if there would be any split for Phoenix. It might work as a certain charge for the service plus royalty sales of apps but I don't see phoenix paying a license as they are just a volunteer organization so probably this is just openmobile's deal and phoenix gets a small split or nothing at all. And openmobile would shoulder the charge of hosting the white label store as they are already guaranteed a certain number of webOS users from the presale.

Again, this is all speculation but much of it makes sense.

Glad they are making progress. Hope it is soon that we are writing about webos ports progress on openwebos on new devices as well as backporting to old webOS hardware as I am looking ahead now. Also would be great if the open webos devices ran apps other than android ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I understand.

But if you know the history, OM has been sitting on ACL for something like two years, then PIC offered them 30,000 to dust it off and have it running under webOS. That makes us (this community) OM's first customers, ever. And there's a chance that they'll never match the native level of performance for Android apps, or do it six months after release. So caveat emptor. Anyone looking to play some heavy games should just install CM10 and be done with it
    Adding my 3 1/2 cents here:

Touchpad GO users are anxiously awaiting the ACL.

CM10 isn't an option for us.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    HelloNNNewman and cbosdell like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is Phoenix going to stick to this schedule? Have people who paid for early access received their 'Preview' copy yet? Shouldn't Phoenix have the courtesy to at least put out a word on the status of ACL?
    They have. Note the version in the opening screen of the latest video demo is "Beta 2"

Previous video demos were of "Alpha 2"

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/07/2013 at 05:35 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    If there's finally a big speed improvement, then Congrats PIC!
    Did you notice the audio was out of sync when the player was picking up the coins? Wonder if that is normal for the game on 2.3 or if it's unique to ACL.
    Just watched PIC/OM's latest video with 3D Racing running at full (native) speed (with some flicker). Great job! Hopefully everything is still on schedule.

Since the start of this Kickstarter we have had to endure the negative comments about this project by some in our community. How we wasted our money, how 3d games and other apps would be out of reach, how OM could not be trusted so by extension PIC could not be trusted. Doom and gloom will fall on us all. We should just run CM 10 and be done with it. I hope you are enjoying the crow that you are eating right now. Please, please, please keep any further comments to yourself (believe use, we know how you feel) until ACL is released or misses the release schedule. You comments are getting old and tiring.

Well they are honest about the graphic problems they still have with that latest Racing Video.

But how about some apps to show the support of other hardware components like bluetooth or gps (touchpad 4G), camera like some augmented reality apps completely missing in webOS. Like google skymap, *Satellite AR, Layar,*Movue, Wikitude or games like Ingress.

You could see these other hardware suppport also as indicator how well support could be for a "more mobile" device like Pre 2/3.
    Just watched PIC/OM's latest video with 3D Racing running at full (native) speed (with some flicker). Great job! Hopefully everything is still on schedule.

Since the start of this Kickstarter we have had to endure the negative comments about this project by some in our community. How we wasted our money, how 3d games and other apps would be out of reach, how OM could not be trusted so by extension PIC could not be trusted. Doom and gloom will fall on us all. We should just run CM 10 and be done with it. I hope you are enjoying the crow that you are eating right now. Please, please, please keep any further comments to yourself (believe use, we know how you feel) until ACL is released or misses the release schedule. You comments are getting old and tiring.

I said "Congrats PIC" and you give me this crap

If you go back to my actual comments and not your own mental impression of them, you'll see that my beef was that we'll never get the source code for the money that was paid out, even though the Android VM is originally open source. It's not like OpenMobile wrote it from scratch.

Yes, i don't personally trust OpenMobile, and believe that it was a big leap of faith for PIC to put their reputation on the line and work with them, considering OM's dishonest tactics of the past. OM never deserved the money they got, after everything they've put our community through. I'm glad they delivered.

If you think that i'm the kind of person to gloat at someone's misfortune and hope everything falls apart, you're way off. I just think that the community could have gotten better value for its money.
    ...because if an open source project fails or gets stuck, you can always fork the code and start building on it again, find more knowledgeable people. If there's a zero-day vulnerability, you can fix it in a day's time, because you have the source. Here, we have to rely on somebody else, and they still haven't replied in regards to the apk signing exploit that Google already provided the fix for. It kind of shows us what to expect in the future.

But hey, i'm enjoying the good news as much as you do, because if this project were to fail, the anger and disappointment would ripple throughout what's left of our community, members would leave and would have even less trust in one another. Last thing i'd ever want. So just chill and accept the fact that there's always a difference in opinion. We are not clones, you know
    @Remy X, I don't think k4ever was targeting you specifically. While I did enjoy reading your response to k4ever's post I think it could have used about 1/4 part LESS gasoline
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE

hindsight after 2+ years is a wonderful thing, just remember tho no1 has issues with PIC, its all about OM and always has been, PIC have delivered via OM due to our funding and their effort to bring a product, but if you still look at what OM have delivered to all their other targets they have promised ACL for, they have nothing to show for it on any platform.

So yeah PIC are and always have been fine, OM even now still deserve their self gained reputation.
    I said "Congrats PIC" and you give me this crap

If you go back to my actual comments and not your own mental impression of them, you'll see that my beef was that we'll never get the source code for the money that was paid out, even though the Android VM is originally open source. It's not like OpenMobile wrote it from scratch.

Yes, i don't personally trust OpenMobile, and believe that it was a big leap of faith for PIC to put their reputation on the line and work with them, considering OM's dishonest tactics of the past. OM never deserved the money they got, after everything they've put our community through. I'm glad they delivered.

If you think that i'm the kind of person to gloat at someone's misfortune and hope everything falls apart, you're way off. I just think that the community could have gotten better value for its money.
    ...because if an open source project fails or gets stuck, you can always fork the code and start building on it again, find more knowledgeable people. If there's a zero-day vulnerability, you can fix it in a day's time, because you have the source. Here, we have to rely on somebody else, and they still haven't replied in regards to the apk signing exploit that Google already provided the fix for. It kind of shows us what to expect in the future.

But hey, i'm enjoying the good news as much as you do, because if this project were to fail, the anger and disappointment would ripple throughout what's left of our community, members would leave and would have even less trust in one another. Last thing i'd ever want. So just chill and accept the fact that there's always a difference in opinion. We are not clones, you know
    I have already stated that if PIC/OM fails to deliver on their promises, I will be one of the folks lighting the torches. The comment was not aimed at you or one person in general. We have heard ad nauseam the distrust for OM. We got it. Let's move on please and wish them luck instead of contempt. If this works as advertised it will be a boon for all of us who love webOS, the operating system, but are stuck using another OS because of a lack of apps.
    Alan Morford likes this.