Page 41 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Just put in my pre-order. Any one else?
    Any news on fixing the security hole in the new release?

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...l-om-care.html
    Should i go ahead and pre-order it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    Should i go ahead and pre-order it?
    It depends on whether you save money or not. If i were to buy it, i'd wait for Rod to give a review, since he gets his copy two weeks early. That still gives you two weeks to pre-order.

And chances are, if you waited a month after release, you might be able to test-drive a cracked copy before buying the real thing. There's no guarantees, but we all know there are pirates in the webOS community. They've been leeching off of developers' hard work for some four years now
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    It depends on whether you save money or not. If i were to buy it, i'd wait for Rod to give a review, since he gets his copy two weeks early. That still gives you two weeks to pre-order.

And chances are, if you waited a month after release, you might be able to test-drive a cracked copy before buying the real thing. There's no guarantees, but we all know there are pirates in the webOS community. They've been leeching off of developers' hard work for some four years now
    Oh my! You hush your pirate talking mouth! Wait, that didn't come out right. Argh! Argh? Well at any rate THIS user wants that functionality as soon as it exists and I hope my $30 helps aide their efforts to supporting other current webOS devices as well. I don't blame them for being a commercial entity. And at least there are still folks developing for webOS. Pretty newsworthy, right? Maybe I jumped threads again...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Oh my! You hush your pirate talking mouth! Wait, that didn't come out right. Argh! Argh? Well at any rate THIS user wants that functionality as soon as it exists and I hope my $30 helps aide their efforts to supporting other current webOS devices as well. I don't blame them for being a commercial entity. And at least there are still folks developing for webOS. Pretty newsworthy, right? Maybe I jumped threads again...
    Mr. "this user" isn't as holy as you make him out to be...

And then there's a fair chance of ACL not having proper graphics performance until a few months after release. If he'll use ACL to do his banking online, it'll work, if he wants to play games, he should be aware that while Sudoku will be fine, Need for Speed won't be until all the graphics issues have been ironed out

Pre-ordering now is buying a "pig in a poke". I'd wait for Rod...

@PIC and Co,

I'm not attacking you guys. The ball is in OM's court
    Haha ok ok fair enough. I'm just excited about new software capabilities. I don't play games other than Radiant HD which is also on webOS. So I'm not worried AT ALL about performance. Most webOS development has been refined like a good wine even after being in the hands of end users during the process. Crap lets just think about webOS 1.0 for THAT example. For me it's the prospect of more options, ya know? I say the more the merrier. #cliché2
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I understand.

But if you know the history, OM has been sitting on ACL for something like two years, then PIC offered them 30,000 to dust it off and have it running under webOS. That makes us (this community) OM's first customers, ever. And there's a chance that they'll never match the native level of performance for Android apps, or do it six months after release. So caveat emptor. Anyone looking to play some heavy games should just install CM10 and be done with it
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Yeah, we know the history. And more history will be made.
    In a few months we will look back and either say: "nicely done, all former sins forgiven and forgotten" or say: "we always told you so! They suck!"

Time will tell.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    OpenMobile | Enabling Android Apps on non-Android Platforms

No mention of security issues but who knows, right? I'm excited for the release (and I should be since I preordered). At any rate, it's great to see an update or more of a recap, I guess.
    Rnp likes this.
    I read the Blog...

The tone was just right: fairy tale narrative.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and ananimus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I read the Blog...

The tone was just right: fairy tale narrative.
    Despite the fact that the ongoing, totally polarized pathos for/against the ACL progress wears thin... that's freakin' funny right there.

The post is indeed unnecessarily flowery, imho. Guess it speaks to the community's emotional investment in the pursuit.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Despite the fact that the ongoing, totally polarized pathos for/against the ACL progress wears thin... that's freakin' funny right there.

The post is indeed unnecessarily flowery, imho. Guess it speaks to the community's emotional investment in the pursuit.
    Not only flowery, but downright theatrical IMHO.

I'm not saying it has to be dry and technical either, but the tone definitely doesn't fit a self-respecting technology company, which, it seems, OpenMobile isn't.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Not only flowery, but downright theatrical IMHO.

I'm not saying it has to be dry and technical either, but the tone definitely doesn't fit a self-respecting technology company, which, it seems, OpenMobile isn't.
    I have to say that this is the most confusing part of coming back to webOS. I GET the history or lack thereof from Openmobile and I GET the issues with secrecy that is so different from every other developer to user interaction we as webOS users have enjoyed for the last 4 years but what I DON'T get is the continued...animosity is too strong a word...the continued whining, arguing, pettiness, frustration, doubt, fear, nay-saying, etc. that surrounds ACL for Touchpad. OM is commercial so they're keeping their product close to their chest and Phx has a gag order basically. The very fact that SOMEONE is making something new for webOS is enough to keep me excited for it. I often lament to my wife about how honest and helpful this community is. Where other boards flame and ban for asking a question that has been asked a hundred times (can't access app catalog comes to mind) we turn the other cheek, answer their question, and then show them the link to the existing discussion. I agree with ananimus about the passion thing 100%. We're so tied to it that it hurts to have to turn to Android apps and to a commercial developer. So many unknowns exist but within a community known for their unwavering optimism this particular topic of dissent boggles my mind.
    You know, i think they borrowed one of Obama's speechwriters

While it does fall short of his usual grandiloquence, the narcissistic tone and fake sentimentality of it does come through in the way we've often heard before.
    You know, i think they borrowed one of Obama's speechwriters

While it does fall short of his usual grandiloquence, the narcissistic tone and fake sentimentality of it does come through in the way we've often heard before.
    Woah woah woah. There are a couple $2 words in there and I'm cheap. I also don't have the luxury of voicing opinions about the President, US government, or its elected officials. So I will just say, after wading through the fires of webOS turmoil and uncertainty an eloquent soliloquy of promises which truth and time has yet to prove or disprove is like a breath of fresh air. AKA a guy can HOPE can't he?
    Remy X likes this.
    I have to say that this is the most confusing part of coming back to webOS. I GET the history or lack thereof from Openmobile and I GET the issues with secrecy that is so different from every other developer to user interaction we as webOS users have enjoyed for the last 4 years but what I DON'T get is the continued...animosity is too strong a word...the continued whining, arguing, pettiness, frustration, doubt, fear, nay-saying, etc. that surrounds ACL for Touchpad. OM is commercial so they're keeping their product close to their chest and Phx has a gag order basically. The very fact that SOMEONE is making something new for webOS is enough to keep me excited for it. I often lament to my wife about how honest and helpful this community is. Where other boards flame and ban for asking a question that has been asked a hundred times (can't access app catalog comes to mind) we turn the other cheek, answer their question, and then show them the link to the existing discussion. I agree with ananimus about the passion thing 100%. We're so tied to it that it hurts to have to turn to Android apps and to a commercial developer. So many unknowns exist but within a community known for their unwavering optimism this particular topic of dissent boggles my mind.
    The thing is, OpenMobile wore out their welcome where ever they went, you can go look, (the Maemo forum springs to mind), and all of the empty promises have pissed off even those who used to *gasp* support and defend the company.

From a technical standpoint, what they did was take a large chunk of open-source code, and made it run on top of a different Linux kernel... they transplanted Android's Java VM (Dalvik) onto Maemo and webOS. Android is Linux, webOS is Linux, Mer (Maemo >> Meego >> Sailfish) is Linux. It took two weeks at most for a seasoned developer to do, and then they dangled it in people's faces for nearly two years, saying on their website that the product is available to buy and download, but it wasn't, for months, they posted demo videos with the same slow graphics rendering that you see when running Open webOS on Android devices.

And only after PIC offered them $30,000 did they decide to ship the product to anyone. PIC did a good job, but it never made OM any less of a slimy, posturing wannabe of a company.

I can understand your positive attitude, but believe me, people's skepticism towards OM is well deserved.

My personal view is, that with the money that was paid out to OM, it would have been possible to take the same open source code, and build the very same thing out in the open, where we would all have the rights to use and improve it. It's like spending money on a stack of paper cups and plates only to go through them in a month and have nothing left, when you could buy actual dishes.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    The thing is, OpenMobile wore out their welcome where ever they went, you can go look, (the Maemo forum springs to mind), and all of the empty promises have pissed off even those who used to *gasp* support and defend the company.

From a technical standpoint, what they did was take a large chunk of open-source code, and made it run on top of a different Linux kernel... they transplanted Android's Java VM (Dalvik) onto Maemo and webOS. Android is Linux, webOS is Linux, Mer (Maemo >> Meego >> Sailfish) is Linux. It took two weeks at most for a seasoned developer to do, and then they dangled it in people's faces for nearly two years, saying on their website that the product is available to buy and download, but it wasn't, for months, they posted demo videos with the same slow graphics rendering that you see when running Open webOS on Android devices.

And only after PIC offered them $30,000 did they decide to ship the product to anyone. PIC did a good job, but it never made OM any less of a slimy, posturing wannabe of a company.

I can understand your positive attitude, but believe me, people's skepticism towards OM is well deserved.

My personal view is, that with the money that was paid out to OM, it would have been possible to take the same open source code, and build the very same thing out in the open, where we would all have the rights to use and improve it. It's like spending money on a stack of paper cups and plates only to go through them in a month and have nothing left, when you could buy actual dishes.
    Sounds like a bitter pill to swallow (about what the community would do with the $30,000). I guess we wait and see, eh?
    Remy X likes this.
    Sounds like a bitter pill to swallow (about what the community would do with the $30,000). I guess we wait and see, eh?
    I think it even reached $40,000+ by the time the fundraiser was over.

Glad you see my point. To me, it's a lot like taking municipal tap water, filtering it and then reselling it at a markup, with the same price as Evian. A contentious issue.

And while i'm not a Stallman-ite, it would be interesting to see if they will release partial source code, in accordance with GPL. I'll be waiting for that and for any word regarding the security hole, which takes minimal effort to patch, thanks to Google.
  20. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Yeah, we know the history. And more history will be made.
    yes, and it continues. Today I got a package from Italy:

Phoenix.jpg

But why it comes from Italy?