Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Yes, I'm not expecting open-sourcing. It would be useful, but where would be the percentage for Openmobile?

Regarding Meego - well, I imagine they have fewer users than webOS as it was only on the N9 - even less of a percentage.

I've heard that Blackberry offer Android apps and that Jolla are working with Openmobile for Sailfish. Are Blackberry using ACL? Again, have they delivered for anyone? If they can deliver, why haven't they for say Windows phone or whatever is No.3 or even iOS for that matter? And if they're not delivering, where do they get the cash for the ongoing and pointless sales pitch?

Perhaps I'm missing something. Perhaps they need manufacturer cooperation for device level access and can't just release an app.

I can understand someone posting on blogs about amazing products that never appear, but appearances at international trade shows = Plane tickets, hotels rooms, stands, marketing materials and of course, those demos!

Why bother if there's no product? If there is a product that they can't just sell due to some licensing or cooperation problem, then there must be a point where they have to cut their losses and go home.

Can anyone point to an actual ACL release? I'm aware that it didn't appear for this or that platform (including webOS), but has it appeared anywhere?
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Can anyone point to an actual ACL release? I'm aware that it didn't appear for this or that platform (including webOS), but has it appeared anywhere?
    I've never found anything outside of their short demo's at events and their rather cloudy bits of info on their website saying they ran it on such-and-such OS at a show (http://www.openmobileww.com/news.php) with a YouTube video of Angry Birds playing and that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    your average user tho will want to install their apps legally via an app catalogue not aquire via potentially dodgey means and sideload them then pray it works on an android 2.x environment.
    Side loading isn't illegal lol. I figure it's endorsed lol
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    I just don't see what the big deal is to install CM9/CM10 and dualboot. For the few minutes of your life you'd save to reboot, you want this project? Honestly, the only thing I use webOS on TP is for Youtube (for some reason, the android app really sucks). I just don't see the value in porting android to run on webOS to such an old hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I just don't see what the big deal is to install CM9/CM10 and dualboot. For the few minutes of your life you'd save to reboot, you want this project? Honestly, the only thing I use webOS on TP is for Youtube (for some reason, the android app really sucks). I just don't see the value in porting android to run on webOS to such an old hardware.
    Perfect example of one person's opinion. I'm the exact opposite. I prefer webOS by far over Android to the point I uninstalled CM because the few extra apps I'd actually use (out of the thousands) combined with the feel of the OS just didn't do it for me. If ACL ever turns into more than vaporware, then I'd shell out $30 or whatever to use it. But that's my opinion on what works for me.
    I guess the question is, would you shell out $30 prior, to be able to use it? And that's where we're at right now. They say they'll turn it out, if they can produce $35k. Doesn't sound terribly outrageous to me. I've asked some questions via the Kickstarter ask question page, and have received some responses, and once I have satisfactory answers to those, I'm going to encourage them to add those answers to their kickstarter page, and if they don't, i will share those answers here.

(I'm not going to just post them right here right now, because we're having a dialog about it, so I don't want to unfairly characterize something)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    should I be picky and poke at their graphics compression and WebOs capitalization?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    RumoredNow likes this.
    $4,740 so far, after 16 hours. 28 days left, this shouldn't be very hard at all!

If it doesn't look like it'll make it, I'm prepared to donate $250, and maybe some folks would be interested in matching?
    TUFF Stough likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    should I be picky and poke at their graphics compression and WebOs capitalization?
    for 35k they better damn well get the name right. hahah
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    for 35k they better damn well get the name right. hahah
    even more, I think for that amount of money they better bring support for Jelly Bean 4.1 rather than crappy port of 2.3 ginger bread android. Plus, what promises Phoenix group that after the shameful company of ACL releases that app...they won't simply abandon support of development(stealing people money) leaving to become a broken application like many in the HP catalog?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    For me, it's the MojoWhatsup that matter most. You can't activate the WhatsApp in a device with no sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Side loading isn't illegal lol. I figure it's endorsed lol
    the means for aquiring an apk without access to a market app tends to be illegal as in not fairly purchased. Torrenting a devs work online for free then sideloading it onto a device is not a happy solution.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    the means for aquiring an apk without access to a market app...
    Are you saying that they're flat-out lying in the video, when they talk about being able to purchase apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by neiltice View Post
    Didn't the video specifically state that the apps would be "purchased, downloaded and run on non-android devices"? How is that dodgy?
    ok so how do you purchase for example a paid for game, then find a purchased apk for it to sideload without access to the google play or amazon app market.

thats my issue and should be for others who are mistakenly expecting they just run google play and carry on as normal.
    RumoredNow and dignitary like this.
    Based on the less-than-honest track record of Open Mobile (the makers of ACL), I would recommend that folks who are considering backing this to first ask to see either:

1) A signed legal agreement guaranteeing delivery and support of a working ACL from Open Mobile to PIC, with the legally enforceable penalty of full refund (plus interest) of kickstarter pledges if it does not happen.

or

2) A signed legal license agreement which allows PIC to continue development of ACL under their own steam, without hindrance of Open Mobile (e.g. an unrestricted source code license with full modification and binary distribution rights).

I'm willing to trust PIC's intentions and motivations here. That trust does not extend to Open Mobile.

I would also like Open Mobile (or PIC on their behalf) to clearly state how the technical hurdles which were cited as the reason for a previous inability to release their 'product' to the webOS app catalog have suddenly been overcome.

I fear that Open Mobile may be using PIC as a way to extend the funding of their fruitless demo-ware existence for another six months. I hope the PIC guys have a good lawyer involved in this arrangement, and have considered the negative effect that association with Open Mobile may have on their own reputation.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ok so how do you purchase for example a paid for game, then find a purchased apk for it to sideload without access to the google play or amazon app market.

thats my issue and should be for others who are mistakenly expecting they just run google play and carry on as normal.
    Perhaps the fact that Google Play already works on HP TouchPad devices is a good thing, eh?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Here are a couple of things i feel should be clarified so that anyone considering a pledge can make a well informed decision.

Firstly, what is kickstarter. To the best of my understanding a company turns to potential clients/community for money for a project. Depending on the pledge you get some benefits such as a t-shirt or the product itself. Those a re described on the pledges and are pretty straight forward. If the target sum is reached then the company uses that money for the development of the program. If it fails to reach the money target then the money is simply refunded and the company has to come up with alternative means of funding. However, to the best of my knowledge there is always the chance that a company may use the money pledged but fail to deliver in which case the people that pledged the money simply lose them. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Secondly, for the product itself. PIC has promised to deliver a platform where u can run android apps in a card interface. This will be compatible with android 2.2 and 2.3 and not 3.0 and above. Also i it is unclear to me which apps will be supported. Free apps, paid for apps, all of them? If an android app is updated will i be able to update it as well or do i have to uninstall/reinstall?

Thirdly, the product by PIC will be an app in itself. That means it will be bought through the app catalog. Which means geo restrictions. Unless PIC are planning to distribute this app to other countries as well the US users will be the only ones that will benefit from it. I live in Greece, so i will probably have trouble getting this app. On the other hand if you pledge 30+ $ now they promise you the product. If that is done outside the app catalog then it could the only chance for people outside the US to actually get this product.

Finally the price once it's ready. If they are offering the product with pledges above 30 $ then what are we expecting the product to cost in its final form? Around 30 $ or even more? And also for the Touchpad only. Of course should this work then it would make sense to move it to Openwebos.

Others have mentioned the continued support and development of the product and rightly so. We've seen apps being abandoned on webos as time goes by.

What i can't fathom is why, if they are at alpha stage and they believe the can have a final product by July didn't LG show any interest in this. Getting all those apps on your ecosystem for a small amount of money (35.000 $ as they claim they need) would be quite beneficial. So did they ever approach LG with this or not? In other words what insurance can one have that this is not total vaporware?

Having said all that, i really hope this works, but i am not counting on it.
    The more i read into ACL and correct me if I'm wrong, the more I see the difficulty in implementing this..and these are my reasons.

1. If we say ACL works on android applications running on webos via a 'wrapper' or a compatibility layer / vm to communicate to webos then the questions we will ask is this.
    a. How will ACL be delivered? - Android marketplace? , Webos store ? or a 3rd party application shop?
    b. How will Android applications be delivered to webos platform? A. chemeleon method? -making Android Marketplace think webos is an android device? (possible). B. 3rd party site with android applications made available by developers - I can see this happening only if there is a big enough market for it and the monetary incentive of a OS independant store makes sense to all parties - i.e developer makes more, and the e-shop owner makes some. (feasible? yes) but the funds to support this is huge.
    c. Who is going to be responsible to hold the user registry of apps in perpetual? ..
    dThe next question is whats the incentive to get mobile owners to go to another marketplace to buy apps? - unless developer is going to allow one app -multiple device support but that means less $$ for them...or until someone creates a more compelling economics to make this happen.

The more i think about it..IF someone like DROPBOX/ Amazon sees value in mobility - they'd go create a webstore for all mobile apps, get developers to host their apps there for all platforms and monetize the ecosystem.
    your average user tho will want to install their apps legally via an app catalogue not aquire via potentially dodgey means and sideload them then pray it works on an android 2.x environment.
    the means for aquiring an apk without access to a market app tends to be illegal as in not fairly purchased. Torrenting a devs work online for free then sideloading it onto a device is not a happy solution.

OpenMobile claims to also provice an appstore called OpenMobile AppMall: OpenMobile's ACL (Application Compatibility Layer)
    If true, than purchasing and installing apps won't be a problem. If not true then...well, yeah...

Personally I'm still skeptical, but I am not yet opposed. But they will have to provide more information (and some better pledges...I don't need a flashlight-keychain) and preferably a thorough independent review of the alpha version on a touchpad by someone here on precentral that I actually trust (so basically by Derek).
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Perhaps the fact that Google Play already works on HP TouchPad devices is a good thing, eh?
    with Cyanogenmod within the native cyanogen environment yup 100% agree because their method lets you run google play, that however doesnt transfer over to the ACL package, it wont let you just point to an installed android app and magically make it work, it will need installed via an apk using their own environment/methods.

besides what would be the point of ACL if you had to depend on CM9/10 to actually buy/aquire apps off the market places.
    RumoredNow likes this.