Page 38 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
    The final ACL will have gfx acceleration?

Which version of android will be emulated? gingerbread or jelly bean?
    considering weve been waiting for gfx acceleration since 2011 your guess is as good as ours, final version is the same as the original version, gingerbread.

i think they did eventually put up the whole what ACL is/is not somewhere on the comments section of the kickstarter project as lots did not know or hoped for improvements.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    btw any word on the windows8 tablet users side of things, didnt they get bluestacks to try out? i tried the desktop version a while back but it was terribly slow/unuseable but i think i saw a later post from someone saying it had improved.

would be interesting to know if ANY device has a decent android compat layer working of some kind or is the older blackberry solution the only decent contender of the lot?
    If there is gfx acceleration + android jb + root, i'll buy it immediately

Otherwise, it's not worthy, the tp takes less than a minute to boot into android
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    doesnt really matter in fairness, theres no gfx acceleration with ACL which is the main issue, so its never going to be fast until that happens, even comparing different netflix vids isnt very accurate, on 1 of my old trainwreck laptops, ive played different netflix videos and some were nice and rapid, others ended up slow so im guessing not all streams are of equal size/compression/etc. (for example some cartoons comapred to big film should play much faster)

its why the bulk of vids their showing are non too gfx intensive 2d stuff, likely carefully picked because their not as bad as other stuff, just check their "cut the rope" vid for example, thats not what id call a big pixel pusher but still looks like its in slow motion.
    Fair enough. That's explicitly why I am hoping to see the beginning of Hunger Games shown on the Beta version of Netflix - this would give us a true apples to apples comparison between the first Alpha (Episode 2 tried to show Hunger Games and it wasn't pretty) and the Beta.

The lack of actual news doesnt help either, OM/ACL creators have 100% nothing and PIC's updates revolve around showcasing games/apps rather than informing about any? actual ACL improvements/updates, because of that i have little faith (ooooh how id love some tho) in there being any noticable differences between the performance shown today and the multitude of clips of employees showcasing ACL on youtube from 2011 onwards.

Check above from Jan'12, worth checking more on YTube, theres plenty of vids of OM showcasing apps on webOS/tizen/more from as far back as 2011 all the way to today, only difference now tho is they showcase the slowstuff on more devices than back then.
    In this regard I have a slightly different point of view. The ACL is not open source software but is being developed as propriatary code that is protected by OM. I believe the problem with listing particular ACL improvements/updates is that would be difficult, based upon the history of the ACL, to assess and believe in any specific claim without having a Non-Disclosure agreement in place with OM. This leaves one with only black box testing to independently assess whether progress is being made. From my point of view, the performance and demonstrated feature set (i.e, audio is actually working!) between the two Netflix videos provides me with clear evidence that improvements are being made to ACL.

Until we can get some independent assessment of the capabilities ot the ACL on the TouchPad, I personnally am thrilled to see videos demonstrating clear improvements in ACL performance and feature set. I expect that it will be only a few more weeks before we start getting some true independent ACL assessments. While I hate waiting ... I feel stronger today that it will indeed be worth it!
    yeah but what i mean is, what improvements have there been considering there has been no mention of any such thing, even this talk of alpha 1/2 doesnt mean much if theres no changelog or visible difference over ACL's 2 year demo period.

Also PIC do not own any part of ACL afaikafaikafaik (correct me if im wrong, id love to be) so all the "improvements" if any will be coming direct from OM and they dont even acknowledge that the kickstarter project or ACL for webOS even happened, and ofc all their demos look pretty much the same.

If you do check their site, whats "new" to OM seems to be ACL for more devices (no noticable speedups unfortunatly) including a set-top box affair and their amazon'alike app market app their developing.

We have to remember here that OM have "zero" customers and the webOS/Touchpad kickstarter project is their only actual "funded" income from the public or a company, they have utterly nothing that you can actually "buy now" on any device.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I don't think OM has zero customers.
    Maybe the android player in jolla's sailfishos is based on their tizen/meego work

And maybe, reading from this image on their website:

maybe they helped to build the blackberry playbook android player (qnx)
    Maybe the android player in jolla's sailfishos is based on their tizen/meego work

Click to view quoted image

they havent sold ACL to anyone at all, their website is full of "business talk" not fact, unfortunatly its been that way for several years and its also a reason why people are often hostile to them as they advertise as if its ready to buy for all those devices when its not. If you can actually find anywhere you can buy it and successfully get a product then youd likely make a lot of people very happy.

playbook uses this : http://www.myriadgroup.com/device-so...%20dalvik.aspx
    windows8 uses this : http://www.bluestacks.com/

ACL has not been shipped on a single actual unit or been purchased by anyone as of yet, "whenever?" ACL lands for the touchpad it will be the single and only device commercially sold to anyone to date.
    Myriad has supplied both, Blackberry and Jolla's SailfishOS with their "Alien Dalvik" runtime. And besides that, it also offers a faster, better written drop-in replacement to Android's own Dalvik.

Myriad is a well respected company with a long history in mobile, while OM is full of crap, with their only customer being PIC. Judge for yourself, read their reps' old posts, the broken promises and misleading advertising copy.

Click to view quoted image

no
    Cool, I never heard about myriad alien dalvik
    looks very cool ( )
    Looks better than OM ACL
    Remy X likes this.
    oooh another video on kickstarter, they would do better sticking to showcasing apps we dont have access too nativly tho :| we happen to have crosswords/more covered quite nicely via Astraware's games.
    oooh another video on kickstarter, they would do better sticking to showcasing apps we dont have access too nativly tho :| we happen to have crosswords/more covered quite nicely via Astraware's games.
    Agreed. I'm waiting for the Beta ACL release before I ask for any more videos ...

Meantime - I love Astraware's games ... simply great stuff!
    Would a GPS guiding software running Android under ACL be functionnal on a TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
    Would a GPS guiding software running Android under ACL be functionnal on a TouchPad?
    touchpad doesnt nativley have gps, you need to pair with a gps device or phone then run some software that allows the touchpad to leech the gps data.

even then ive no idea tbh, no one has been able to aquire/use acl so no1 but them will know.
    touchpad doesnt nativley have gps, you need to pair with a gps device or phone then run some software that allows the touchpad to leech the gps data.

even then ive no idea tbh, no one has been able to aquire/use acl so no1 but them will know.
    The 4G TP does I think, but the WiFi-only models do need to pair with a phone
    As said above.

Considering OMs ads you might think ACL can do anything but cook coffee, but as we aren't able to use ACL as of yet, I would say: nobody knows.

The TP has no GPS. So even if you are able to pair a phone or a GPS mouse or something, one still can't say if ACL uses the external GPS and even if so, one can't say if the android apps running on ACL will recognize the GPS or know what to do with it...

Soooo ... I would say "no" is a better bet, considering all the facts, including that we have yet to see a release of ACL...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    ......including that we have yet to see a release of ACL...
    .... so far on ANY device, not just the touchpad, so cant use any other platform as a comparison.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I don't remember seeing it before. I found this quote in the first link laughable: " ACL enables Android applications to run seamlessly on other operating systems with native performance, zero latencies"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't remember seeing it before. I found this quote in the first link laughable: " ACL enables Android applications to run seamlessly on other operating systems with native performance, zero latencies"
    there was an old post on OM's own site regarding that back in January when they were promoting/showing off their app market app on youtube.

News from OpenMobile World Wide
    and
    (cant find their earlier vid)

all their vids lag, have done for 2+ years so the native performance part is still just advertising/business speak/waffle, might work perfectly if they ever got the accelerated parts of an OS/gfx system they badly wanted back in the day, but i dont think any of their platform specific ACL's work full speed yet.
    Remy X likes this.