Page 37 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041424787 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    If they can get this sped up and running smoothly... great... but holy cow. These are the videos that openmobile is putting out*. No wonder it was vaporware for years! This does not look good.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v88yZuJqYFo&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

* Video indicates it is an alpha version. As if it wasn't obvious!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    If they can get this sped up and running smoothly... great... but holy cow. These are the videos that openmobile is putting out*. No wonder it was vaporware for years! This does not look good.

* Video indicates it is an alpha version. As if it wasn't obvious!
    and the speed is no different to their demos from 2011 onwards.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    and the speed is no different to their demos from 2011 onwards.
    Yup. I suspect absolutely no work was done during that time.. not that they unsuccessfully tried to improve it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 07/13/2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yup. I suspect absolutely no work was done during that time.. not that they unsuccessfully tried to improve it.
    the extra time is likely just to get their app store up and running rather than acl itsself, its their only recent thing that looks like its had any work done on it, and we will have to wait soon(tm) currently till august for beta testers to get a try or end of september till joe normal gets their product, provided the goal doesnt get pushed back again.

if its still as slow as the 2011 version then even with any pretty packaging or other sparkly extras its a pretty soul destroying wait, id rather have a functional bag of nails now than a well packaged funtional bag of nails much later.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    all the more reason for OM to stop pissing about and release what they have, i can wait for a gash app store, in the meantime theres likely easy enough ways to manually slap an APK on, i doubt its getting any speed buffs so all thats left is their delivery/install method and their app store.

by the time their app stores done we wont have much useful left to actually install beyond crap that looks like oldskool java phone apps.
    all the more reason for OM to stop pissing about and release what they have, i can wait for a gash app store, in the meantime theres likely easy enough ways to manually slap an APK on, i doubt its getting any speed buffs so all thats left is their delivery/install method and their app store.

by the time their app stores done we wont have much useful left to actually install beyond crap that looks like oldskool java phone apps.
    ... which is almost everything
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    well, you can tell their not too involved/bothered with the touchpad ACL given that theres utterly no mention of it on any of their news/whats happening posts on their own site, and ic ant imagine ANY other adopters on any platform if their sticking to their GB platform thats not been updated in 2 years+
    So, what is the status of this? Any projected release? I haven't really kept up with the thread since donations.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JASK0 View Post
    So, what is the status of this? Any projected release? I haven't really kept up with the thread since donations.

Thanks!
    OM's own website doesnt mention the existance of even the kickstarter project or anythign at all about the webOS release, all there is, is a bit from PIC stating "august for beta testers, end of september for normal release".

http://phxdevices.com/2013-06-08-pre...hedule-Release
    OM's own website doesnt mention the existance of even the kickstarter project or anythign at all about the webOS release, all there is, is a bit from PIC stating "august for beta testers, end of september for normal release".

ACL for webOS Release Schedule | PIC - Phoenix International Communications
    There is an air of desperation from seeing a news post like that with 15 huge share-this-story icons below the headline. So much so that it looks like it's some weird part of their page design. It just screams "share me.. please! anyone!". Very awkward.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    geekpeter and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    There is an air of desperation from seeing a news post like that with 15 huge share-this-story icons below the headline. So much so that it looks like it's some weird part of their page design. It just screams "share me.. please! anyone!". Very awkward.
    and their only the middle man, its more depressing when you check OM's own site to see nothing whatsoever.
    Hi All,

I've noticed a bit of concern about the perceived "lack of progress" on the ACL. Well, for the last week PIC has been posting videos on the Kickstarter site showing the Alpha 2.0 release. If you haven't looked at the kickstarter site lately, PIC just posted Netflix running in Alpha 2.0. As they said, it still needs work - but it looks to be a big improvment over the early Netflix demonstration video.

I know no one was happy, including me, about the initial schedule slip announced right after the project was funded. But with the announced date for the beta release another week and 1/2 away, it looks to me that PIC is moving right along on the updated schedule.

Anyone thought of what they want to see from PIC to show how functional the beta release is?
    Guess apps like Netflix and Whatsapp are of interest for most users.

Or requested apps like a voip application or a call recorder (using BT) which never really eventuated on webOS

Personally I like to see business apps like Citrix receiver, Google translate, an Office suite with Box support and Linkedin app.

Just to start with....
    Last edited by renater; 07/25/2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: edit call recorder on TP need to use BT
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Guess apps like Netflix and Whatsapp are of interest for most users.

Or requested apps like a voip application or a call recorder (using BT) which never really eventuated on webOS

Personally I like to see business apps like Citrix receiver, Google translate, an Office suite with Box support and Linkedin app.

Just to start with....
    We have WhatsApp natively already by means of MojoWhatsup. The problem is that WhatsApp keeps changing their registration API every so many weeks recently so the registration part occasionally gets broken and it sometimes takes a while before it gets fixed. Otherwise it works fine
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Hi All,

I've noticed a bit of concern about the perceived "lack of progress" on the ACL. Well, for the last week PIC has been posting videos on the Kickstarter site showing the Alpha 2.0 release. If you haven't looked at the kickstarter site lately, PIC just posted Netflix running in Alpha 2.0. As they said, it still needs work - but it looks to be a big improvment over the early Netflix demonstration video.

I know no one was happy, including me, about the initial schedule slip announced right after the project was funded. But with the announced date for the beta release another week and 1/2 away, it looks to me that PIC is moving right along on the updated schedule.

Anyone thought of what they want to see from PIC to show how functional the beta release is?
    it looks no different to the vids from 2011 which is the problem, the new vids arent showing progress on how ACL has evolved (because it probably hasnt) all it shows is which lightweight apps manage to run without looking like a slug walking thru treacle.

i wouldnt mind if they were showcasing updates to acl but it just looks like releasing an update for the sake of it just to show acl running another lightweight app of little interest.

I wouldnt be surprised if the biggest factor in the release delay will likely be all the trinkets/baubles offered as extras on kickstarter, keychains/postcards/t-shirts etc as opposed to acl itsself
    There is steady progress being made and I know a lot of comments and feedback from the community have been taken into account in the actual development. There are still challenges ahead but I believe a lot of critics might be pleasantly surprised with the actual end result.
    it looks no different to the vids from 2011 which is the problem, the new vids arent showing progress on how ACL has evolved (because it probably hasnt) all it shows is which lightweight apps manage to run without looking like a slug walking thru treacle.

i wouldnt mind if they were showcasing updates to acl but it just looks like releasing an update for the sake of it just to show acl running another lightweight app of little interest.

I wouldnt be surprised if the biggest factor in the release delay will likely be all the trinkets/baubles offered as extras on kickstarter, keychains/postcards/t-shirts etc as opposed to acl itsself
    Really?

I compared the Netflix video from the original alpha (Episode 2 video) to the latest (Episode 15). The orignal alpha was sluggish, the video studdered badly and we didn't not get any evidence of audio with the video (it may have been there or not - but they surely didn't highlight it). Episode 15 seemed to be pretty smooth video with audio though the audio was clearly out of sync. I've been told this is being worked on right now and that it's an issue with acceleration that has not been fully completed. I'm hoping to see a resolution in the Beta release.

I understand that showing videos of new applications running in Alpha 2.0 without having examples of the same application running (or knowledge that it simply couldn't run) in Alpha 1.0 does not help show progress. That's why I specifically asked them to show Netflix running in Alpha 2.0. I will ask for more comparative examples or at least let us know what's running in Alpha 2.0 now that could not run in Alpha 1.0.

Any other suggestions on how they could improve demonstrating progress?
    eKeith likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Any other suggestions on how they could improve demonstrating progress?
    doesnt really matter in fairness, theres no gfx acceleration with ACL which is the main issue, so its never going to be fast until that happens, even comparing different netflix vids isnt very accurate, on 1 of my old trainwreck laptops, ive played different netflix videos and some were nice and rapid, others ended up slow so im guessing not all streams are of equal size/compression/etc. (for example some cartoons comapred to big film should play much faster)

its why the bulk of vids their showing are non too gfx intensive 2d stuff, likely carefully picked because their not as bad as other stuff, just check their "cut the rope" vid for example, thats not what id call a big pixel pusher but still looks like its in slow motion.

The lack of actual news doesnt help either, OM/ACL creators have 100% nothing and PIC's updates revolve around showcasing games/apps rather than informing about any? actual ACL improvements/updates, because of that i have little faith (ooooh how id love some tho) in there being any noticable differences between the performance shown today and the multitude of clips of employees showcasing ACL on youtube from 2011 onwards.

Check above from Jan'12, worth checking more on YTube, theres plenty of vids of OM showcasing apps on webOS/tizen/more from as far back as 2011 all the way to today, only difference now tho is they showcase the slowstuff on more devices than back then.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 07/25/2013 at 10:22 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    The final ACL will have gfx acceleration?

Which version of android will be emulated? gingerbread or jelly bean?