Page 36 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940414686 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    This project has not yet been promoted as effectively as it could have been!

I visit WebOSNation frequently, and not once have I seen "Run Android apps on WebOS - Contribute to project". Instead I see the cryptic thread "PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL". I think I clicked on it once, but I was in a hurry that day and whatever I read didn't jump out at me. Only the ever-increasing length of the thread prompted to come back and look again. Heck yes, I'll contribute! Can somebody please make this a bit more prominent and less cryptic?
    Well, when they are ready to truly promote the project, they can start a new thread here and I'm sure the Front Page of the site will put up an article (if they're still awake up there).
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    from the millions of webOS/touchpad users out there?
    Yes!

Realistically, given it will have to be a native app, having a license check would be fairly secure, however unwanted it would be. I hate that kind of stuff, but given how ridiculously easy it is to pirate webOS apps, I would not blame them if they had at least a first-time use license check like app store PDK apps usually do.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Preware banner was checked with me before being published.

No need for a conspiracy theory there...

-- Rod
    Good to know...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

I visit WebOSNation frequently, and not once have I seen "Run Android apps on WebOS - Contribute to project". Instead I see the cryptic thread "PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL". I think I clicked on it once, but I was in a hurry that day and whatever I read didn't jump out at me. Only the ever-increasing length of the thread prompted to come back and look again. Heck yes, I'll contribute! Can somebody please make this a bit more prominent and less cryptic?
    Hi Semma. This project has been funded already and people are waiting for delivery (estimated delivery date in Sept, pushed back from July). Like most kickstarter projects and perhaps particularly with the software projects, there is an element of risk as the product is not available at the time of funding and unforeseen challenges could arise in the development process. Because of this, perhaps it was best that the thread was cryptic as it forced potential investors do some research first before committing their funds.

In the past, threads asking for contributions to webos internals projects were promoted more straight forwardly but that organization generally likes to deliver first and ask for funds afterwards.
    bethel95 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

I visit WebOSNation frequently, and not once have I seen "Run Android apps on WebOS - Contribute to project".
    its not advertised probably due to the amazingly bad history openmobile has gained, it would be hugely unwise to do so on this site tbh, best left on the kickstarter side where potential risks are a given.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Is it just me, or has the hype passed and the wind calmed?
    Seems, it gets a bit quiet around PIC and ACL...

Might be I imagine it *snigger*
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Is it just me, or has the hype passed and the wind calmed?
    Seems, it gets a bit quiet around PIC and ACL...

Might be I imagine it *snigger*
    cant be that hard to provide an IPK to people who have donated, its not like its getting any updates or anything, the previews look the same as the previews from 2011 and are just as fast/slow.
    made me smile...thought I'd share: how to avoid being sad about kickstarter projects
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    made me smile...thought I'd share: how to avoid being sad about kickstarter projects
    thats a damned good and indepth "reality of it all" article.
    "..Android took a massive jump in peformance and functionality between Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich and most developers prefer to hit the top end of what the operating system can do. For these developers, the faster that Gingerbread dies, the better.."

The faster that a webOS ACL, to suit Android 4.1.X, is soon brought alive - so much the better!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    "..Android took a massive jump in peformance and functionality between Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich and most developers prefer to hit the top end of what the operating system can do. For these developers, the faster that Gingerbread dies, the better.."

The faster that a webOS ACL, to suit Android 4.1.X, is soon brought alive - so much the better!

in our case tho were not after the android operating system, its innards to us will be hidden, all we are interested in is if their apps are runnable, we can largely ignore all of androids "feature rich" GUI/OS extras as we wont see them or need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    From Dion "Ex-webOS Evangelist" Almaer's Twitter feed came this just now, and it's just yet another validation of what I've been saying all along: Gingerbread is dying and it's only going to die faster over the next 6 months. A good thorough read if you want to really have an analysis as to why, but here's a short abridged version:

Read More: Developers Rejoice As Android Gingerbread Overtaken By Jelly Bean &ndash; ReadWrite
    From one under-supported App Catalog situation to another...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    in our case tho were not after the android operating system, its innards to us will be hidden, all we are interested in is if their apps are runnable, we can largely ignore all of androids "feature rich" GUI/OS extras as we wont see them or need them.
    A lot of Android's applications use the "feature rich GUI/OS extras" because they're fundamental to the design language and functional direction Google is encouraging developers to use, and most of it is a complete 180 from where Gingerbread was going.

And really, the whole point of developers celebrating the accelerating death of Android 2.3 is because it gives them a clear signal that they can begin killing off backward compatibility (back to 2.3) for their applications and finally begin concentrating on performance and features. Performance and features that Gingerbread support is/was holding back. And they can begin using this new design language at the same time without caring about older devices anymore.

This is why dual-booting, albeit the bane of some webOS supporters' existence, is still the only sure option into the current Android 4.2 landscape. And it's free.

IMO, this should make people a little anxious about having spent $30+ on the ACL without a clear roadmap and timeframe for supporting apps that are Android 4.x+ only. While getting ACL in September--if it does land in September--may work for a little while, by the end of the year that app exodus away from 2.3 support is going to really hit...and hit hard.

When new favorite apps get stuck on old versions because their devs have gone 4.x or outright die, and newer popular apps just don't appear, it's going to be an interesting time around here if PIC can't commit to a 4.x ACL.
    ...most of it is a complete 180 from where Gingerbread was going.

You could call it the "pre-Duarte" and the "post-Duarte" Era ...
    ICS and JB are more and more going a WebOS styled way. Once you get used to JB, you can get happy with it. It's no WebOS but as I see it, it's the next best thing, when it comes to GUI.
    And iOS7-Cardview is only implemented in the Taskmanager, so ... thanks, but no thanks.

BTW, if there really is a new WebOS device one day, let's call it "Post" ... hrhrhr
    And if it's a tablet, let's call it Touchdown ... hrhrhr.
    Yep, I feel creative today
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    new Android Google Maps 7 only for 4.x++ devices.
    So 72ka's webos google maps will not be retired soon on webOS devices, even after october with ACL.
    A lot of Android's applications use the "feature rich GUI/OS extras" because they're fundamental to the design language and functional direction Google is encouraging developers to use, and most of it is a complete 180 from where Gingerbread was going.

And really, the whole point of developers celebrating the accelerating death of Android 2.3 is because it gives them a clear signal that they can begin killing off backward compatibility (back to 2.3) for their applications and finally begin concentrating on performance and features. Performance and features that Gingerbread support is/was holding back. And they can begin using this new design language at the same time without caring about older devices anymore.

This is why dual-booting, albeit the bane of some webOS supporters' existence, is still the only sure option into the current Android 4.2 landscape. And it's free.

IMO, this should make people a little anxious about having spent $30+ on the ACL without a clear roadmap and timeframe for supporting apps that are Android 4.x+ only. While getting ACL in September--if it does land in September--may work for a little while, by the end of the year that app exodus away from 2.3 support is going to really hit...and hit hard.

When new favorite apps get stuck on old versions because their devs have gone 4.x or outright die, and newer popular apps just don't appear, it's going to be an interesting time around here if PIC can't commit to a 4.x ACL.
    You bet. The timing for this release, was when it was announced a couple of years ago, not this late in the game. Unfortunate, but that's the reality.

You go take a look at Music Player Remix for Android, and compare the difference between that version, and even say the webOS version...there are so many improvements, features, extras, that just simply aren't available on anything under 4.x

I asked @hedami Can you explain differences/advantages/disadvantages between Gingerbread & Jellybean app? Re: ACL on TouchPad

and the picture below is his response. Take or leave what you will, but I was curious from a developer's perspective, especially one that had spent a lot of time with webOS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Remy X and RumoredNow like this.
    it's going to be an interesting time around here if PIC can't commit to a 4.x ACL.
    theres that misconception again its still got nothing to do with PIC, they dont own acl, the code for it, the code for it on the touchpad, or any single part of it, everything is all in OM's ballpark, always has been.
    theres that misconception again its still got nothing to do with PIC, they dont own acl, the code for it, the code for it on the touchpad, or any single part of it, everything is all in OM's ballpark, always has been.
    Even if OM will bust their *** trying to rebuild everything around 4.x, it will not be a free upgrade. They may as well ask us to come up with another 40 grand, i wouldn't be surprised
    RumoredNow likes this.
    hehe...guys...why are we ranting about ACL....as it is right now...we're the possible customers of ACL and are in no way in control of the development and the source code. We can rant our frustration but the fact remains that this issue cropped up because??? ---- of incompetence of the Webos source code past owners (HP)and the rest is history.
    At the same note...if some smart coder can get Android running on some VM environment in Webos...half the problem would be solved...no?...or maybe ACL is something like that..