Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Interestng Article on Ars Tecnica regarding distribution of Android Versions. It looks like 2.3 a.k.a. Gingerbread still is installed of most of the devices. Jelly Bean comes Second (4.1). Looks like we should have plenty applications yet.
    On the oher hand, PIC should really upgrade for Jelly Bean capabilities and I would not mind paying extra to see it done.

Jelly Bean on one-third of Android devices; Gingerbread still on top | Ars Technica
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    Interestng Article on Ars Tecnica regarding distribution of Android Versions. It looks like 2.3 a.k.a. Gingerbread still is installed of most of the devices. Jelly Bean comes Second (4.1). Looks like we should have plenty applications yet.
    On the oher hand, PIC should really upgrade for Jelly Bean capabilities and I would not mind paying extra to see it done.

Jelly Bean on one-third of Android devices; Gingerbread still on top | Ars Technica
    Pretty logical to me, as JB ain't even that old. 2.3 has been shipped on devices for a long time, certainly as Android 3.0 was the strange in between version that was only used on tablets.

Furthermore, on the cheaper, and thus popular, budgetphones today runs 2.3 very often. Especially in poor countries, or lets say people with a lower income, they don't care for the newest high spec phone or JB. They just want to have the apps like whatsapp etc, which work still good on older Android.

Not so much for stupid iOS, or lets say older iPhones. Apple shut down Whatsapp on 3G basically, making those users forced to upgrade/buy a new iPhone.
    bradmeister1 linked this in another thread:

Current and recent products. You can expect to be eligible for the full range of HP consumer support services and channels for your region.

TouchPad
    Unlocked Wi-fi

Veer
    AT&T
    O2

Pre 3
    Unlocked - Europe

Pre 2
    Verizon
    Rogers
    SFR
    Unlocked - North America
    Unlocked - Europe
    It's dated 2012 at the bottom of the web page. These are the devices officially released under HP and the only models they have pledged support for since webOS was gutshot at the Apotheker Corral.

Note what is missing... Any device released by Palm before their purchase by HP, along with Pre 3 NA and TP 4G. Those are treated same as TP Go - never happened... "LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa, HP can't hear you."
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Is that why you consider 'achieved' to have the same meaning as 'available'.

If we were going to nitpick over the exact meaning then it is a fact that ACL for the touchpad as been achieved (even beyond a proof-of-concept), as evidenced by the movies available in the updates-section of the kickstarter project. It is, however, not yet available; but the image does not state that, nor is there any reason to assume that it implies that...even when taken out of context. In context of kickstarter the meaning is even more obvious, and does not refer to the product but to the funding of the (stretch) goals, as indicated by the figure-legend 'Stretch Goals!' (yes, the amount needed to achieve them would have been nice and wise).

ps. and since English is not my native language, any ambiguous meanings are more likely to affect me than a native English speaker.

pps. you can't claim that achieved and finished are synonymous, since many things can be achieved without being finished; as is always the case when dealing with software (or writing, as you could attest).

All I can say is this...

As a writer I would never have put "Achieved" alongside "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad" isolated in a little box by itself at this point of the project.

As an editor, if a writer had brought me that I would have kicked it back to them for revision.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    All I can say is this...

As a writer I would never have put "Achieved" alongside "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad" isolated in a little box by itself at this point of the project.

As an editor, if a writer had brought me that I would have kicked it back to them for revision.

As an author of I have no problem with this - absolutely correct - wording (in this context). As a reviewer this would not even warrant a comment (let alone a request for a minor revision).

I understand your point. But I consider it a matter of taste (and distrust towards open mobile WW, and this project in general), and not a matter of language.

ps. I think there is nothing wrong with (linguistic) taste or urging people to be clear in their meaning. I applaud this.
    Last edited by Misj'; 06/04/2013 at 01:09 PM.
    If the terminology creates ANY ambiguous meaning, even in only 10% of people then it's a bad choice. Clearly it had confused some people, so technically correct or not, it was a bad choice of wording.

But that's all it was - no need to panic!

I'm all for Pre3 compatibility with ACL - some of the apps would be so essential to me, like the Canon remote control functionality for my intended EOS 6D purchase. I'd consider buying a cheap Android phone just to use that, but I'd rather it worked on my Pre3.

I'm curious how some of the more complicated Android apps are going to integrate with webOS. Take some of the great Calender options available (as opposed to our single 'option') - how will reminders tie in with the notifications system?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    gosh ... are people here really that desperate, so they start arguing over trifle things like one single word?

Let's head back to the theme at hand, which is ACL and Android Apps on the Touchpad.
    What I would be interested in is:
    does Ingress work?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    checkmate likes this.
    I assume Ingress will only be usefull on phones as only 4G TP has a GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Thought about that. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $possible$ $to$ $pair$ $the$ $TP$ $with$ $a$ $BT$-$GPS$, $or$ $am$ $I$ $missing$ $something$ $here$?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    ...does Ingress work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Thought about that. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $possible$ $to$ $pair$ $the$ $TP$ $with$ $a$ $BT$-$GPS$, $or$ $am$ $I$ $missing$ $something$ $here$?
    Hmmm... Would it ingress take advantage of the GPS on a BlueTooth paired phone???

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Presuming that it routes to the webOS location services, if your TouchPad doesn't have GPS hardware, the location service will still function using Google.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    So Metaviews MapTool Pro app can take advantage of a webOS phones GPS via BT when "PreGo GPS" is launched on phone.

If another webOS TP app can deliver the NMEA data into the usual webOS GPS location services and ACL uses the webOS GPS data, it could work
    I wonder, is Waze working under ACL?
    I used to think I wanted to give it a shot then realized having to carry the TP around in a manor to play the game just find't sound fun to me any more.
    Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications ACL for webOS Release Schedule — Kickstarter

at least they mention it early (and the original deadline was very optimistic if you ask me). Let's just hope my skepticism doesn't take this as a foreboding/sign....
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications ACL for webOS Release Schedule Kickstarter

at least they mention it early (and the original deadline was very optimistic if you ask me). Let's just hope my skepticism doesn't take this as a foreboding/sign....
    New Release Schedule:

ACL Beta Test Release: August 3rd

ACL Early Access Preview (previously 2 weeks before official release): September 3rd

ACL Pre-Release (previously 1 week before official release): September 10th

ACL Kickstarter Backer's Special Preview: September 17th

ACL Official Release: September 30th
    Thanks for the heads up
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications ACL for webOS Release Schedule — Kickstarter

Welcome to the "In the coming month"-show: Todays special guest: ACL featured by Phoenix which has never risen out of ashes.

sh%ut up, bring it in July with what you have and update it "to meet the goals you have set" till september.
    Nearly everyone has had times where they've missed deadlines, so it might be best to save the circling vultures until the next milestone is missed and the timetable shifted yet again, but i invite everyone (developers and users alike) to read this article:

Irrational Optimism and Project Planning Cardinal Peak's Blog
    Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry about the delay in the schedule - I know that we've disappointed a lot of you with this, but it really is necessary to do this to ensure we deliver the type of quality product that you're expecting. Much of the delay is due to the time needed to add in more rounds of testing and bug fixing, as well as improve the general stability of the system. I will do my best to update you as we move forward step by step - we've finalized the completion plan and it's full speed ahead until we get this done.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post

How about some simple arithmetic right there in the very top image of that article?

Android 2.3: 36.5%
    Android 4.0.x: 25.6%
    Android 4.1.x: 29%
    Android 4.2.x: 4%

So, let's now distill this to actual reality:

Android 4.x: 58.6%
    Android 2.3: 36.5%

Once you look at it in its proper context rather than cherry-picked codenames to use as platform version comparisons, you get a much clearer picture. If you're still stuck on codenames "Gingerbread" has in fact been dropping rapidly over the past few months--and it's accelerating if you look back at the prior 6 months worth of aggregate data.

Android 4.x (ICS + JB) have continued to rise rapidly as almost all major carriers in developed countries have left "Gingerbread" behind in new device offerings. Couple fhat with the contract renewals coming up after two years of Android 2.3's existence, and that conversion rate is only going to get even faster in the next 6 months. How anyone can sit here and justify "Gingerbread" as being anything but an also-ran Android version is kind of bizarre.
    Last edited by dignitary; 06/09/2013 at 12:47 AM.