Page 31 of 105 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 41 81 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Devs are still getting paid for app sales, although it's probably much farther between. This past month was the first month that I had not received the payout threshold in one month, for either US or Euro sales. I also haven't updated my apps in three months, which has been highly abnormal for me, they used to sit on the top page of the catalog pretty much since their release But my apps are in much less need of update than they were when they were first developed. And since I've been working on webOS full time, I've had hardly any time to actually work on my apps anyway.

I believe the comment about devs not getting paid, was referring to if the catalog were to disappear, which would be a likely result of everyone's certificate expiring.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Back to topic:

Is there anything like a schedule for ACL yet? Anything?
    No?

I mean: Skype for Android on a Touchpad might be a hoot for some people, but my Skype for WebOS works fine, thanks.

I'ld like to know when the steak is done, and not always be told how good it looks on the grill.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Remy X, renater and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Back to topic:

No?

I mean: Skype for Android on a Touchpad might be a hoot for some people, but my Skype for WebOS works fine, thanks.

I'ld like to know when the steak is done, and not always be told how good it looks on the grill.
    it takes kickstarter a good week or so to collect funds, re-adjust the total based on what was successfully paid and not paid then take their share and pass on the remainder, so likely nothing until this occurs at least.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    No?
    sure it is, it is on the Kickstarter site since the beginning of the project:

"...to take it through the beta process and make it available for consumers to purchase and download to their Touchpads by July 2013"

This is when people expect to get the software and I only can advise to PIC/OM that they report the current status frequently and that they report immediately if they expect any delays to this plan.

And "by July 2013" should not be the 31th of July!

thg

Now where it really gets interesting is when it will be ported to Pre3 for me.

I mean, even Jelly Bean 4.2.2 now gets a port for Touchpad and while WebOS is nice and all, the OS itself doesn't get updated anymore. Now for the HP Pre3 phone I own too its really interesting as there is no Android port running on it. Thank God someone did port whatsapp for Pre3 otherwise I couldn't use it at all. But having Open Mobile ACL running on Pre3 would be magic, getting some Android apps within the WebOS on the phone.

WebOS on Pre3 > WebOS on Touchpad. On the phone I really like WebOS a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMARTPre3 View Post
    <Image Edited Out>

Now where it really gets interesting is when it will be ported to Pre3 for me.

I mean, even Jelly Bean 4.2.2 now gets a port for Touchpad and while WebOS is nice and all, the OS itself doesn't get updated anymore. Now for the HP Pre3 phone I own too its really interesting as there is no Android port running on it. Thank God someone did port whatsapp for Pre3 otherwise I couldn't use it at all. But having Open Mobile ACL running on Pre3 would be magic, getting some Android apps within the WebOS on the phone.

WebOS on Pre3 > WebOS on Touchpad. On the phone I really like WebOS a lot.
    I agree that the phones need ACL more than TP...

What I don't agree with is putting "Achieved" on the chart for "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad."

It has not been achieved yet. It's being attempted.

That is the sort of braggadocio that caused OpenMobileWorldWide to loose the respect of this community. My reaction to the image was to immediately comb the PIC website to see if it was lifted from there. Thankfully, it was not.

Your image is inaccurate and a disservice to the project.

<Edit>

Now I see it from the kickstarter page.

Behold TouchPad users!!! PIC claims it is achieved!!!

Get your copy now, it is "Available today" apparently.

My apologies to TheMARTPre3 for assuming the image was his.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 06/01/2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I agree that the phones need ACL more than TP...

What I don't agree with is putting "Achieved" on the chart for "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad."

It has not been achieved yet. It's being attempted.

That is the sort of braggadocio that caused OpenMobileWorldWide to loose the respect of this community. My reaction to the image was to immediately comb the PIC website to see if it was lifted from there. Thankfully, it was not.

Your image is inaccurate and a disservice to the project.
    Lol, sorry to say that I didn't make that image. I got no clue where the project stands now. I think that achieved was put there for making the 35k USD to get that stage done by July this year, not sure. It comes straight of the Kickstarter page of the project itself:

Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications &mdash; Kickstarter

Complain there I guess :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMARTPre3 View Post
    Lol, sorry to say that I didn't make that image. I got no clue where the project stands now. I think that achieved was put there for making the 35k USD to get that stage done by July this year, not sure. It comes straight of the Kickstarter page of the project itself:

Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications &mdash; Kickstarter

Complain there I guess :-)
    I did edit my post above and I apologize once more for my hasty assumption that the image was your creation.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I did edit my post above and I apologize once more for my hasty assumption that the image was your creation.
    Its ok dude, I didn't see that edit before I posted. But I also didn't feel personally attacked or something, was just making clear indeed where the picture came from.

As long as it'll arrive and also gets a port for my Pre3 I'm fine with everything :-)

I'd not pay for the Touchpad version as I prefer to use CM9 now and CM10 when it has working BlueTooth and stuff. But I would so pay for Pre3 support. Heck I'd pay that 35 or 40 bucks before I could blink with my eyes...

I still prefer the Pre3 over Android phones because of its great physical keyboard. It would be bomb if it ran Android apps, certainly the ICS/JB versions!
    The image refers to the kickstarter goal, not the product. The image is completely accurate, the kickstarter goal was achieved.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/02/2013 at 04:01 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Jive Turkey likes this.

It has not been achieved yet. It's being

I agree that the graphic is misleading. I read it as, ACL for TP is achieved and more money is required for the other projects.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I agree that the graphic is misleading. I read it as, ACL for TP is achieved and more money is required for the other projects.
    Seriously, the graphic is from a kickstarter page. "Achieved" on a kickstarter page means money goal achieved. The term you're looking for is "Delivered" in that context.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/02/2013 at 07:40 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Seriously, the graphic is from a kickstarter page. "Achieved" on a kickstarter page means money goal achieved. The term you're looking for is "Delivered" in that context.

-- Rod
    Well at least sorry I brought in the confusion by not telling the source of the picture at first, I didn't even think about it would confuse.

I would like to point out though, that even on Kickstarter it could not be clear what it exactly means. If they'd put at the chart for example 35k USD - ACL for HP Touchpad, then for example as we don't know how much is needed for this 45k USD - ACL upgrade to Android 4.x, 50k USD for Pre3 compatibility etc.

I know that, because it is on kickstarter, it should be linked to whats achieved there and not in the project, but if they'd put that info about the money goal in the picture it would have been more clear also when the pic would be used on another place like I did inhere.

But hey to me the discussion ain't that important even :-)

NOw I am curious though how much money extra would be needed for 4.x support and Pre3!
    The image refers to the kickstarter goal, not the product. The image is completely accurate, the kickstarter goal was achieved.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    I have to disagree. Even placed on the kickstarter page as it is, "Achieved" referring to the kickstart goal is a very weak implication at best - and it takes a concerted effort at inference to make that connection.

The big green banner at the top of the page that says "Funded" clearly lets a reader know that the funding goal was achieved. You have to read a lot of the page to determine that the work on ACL is still in development. Big, colorful graphics designed to draw the eye do exactly that. They grab focus and attention. They become a primary means of imparting information rapidly when embedded in a wall of text. The graphic linked above stands out and makes a primary impression that can only be countered by reading the surrounding text and many a casual viewer will decline to read all the text.

The phrase "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad" is a definitive. Examine that sentence fragment which begs for a modifier to make it whole... There is no mention of funding. "Achieved" is a positive declaration. It means accomplished, finalized, efforts ceased due to completion. By it's positioning in the graphic, "Achieved" can not directly modify anything except the statement "ACL on webOS for the HP TouchPad." It is very deceptive.

PIC wants to show progress. I get that. They also don't want to state directly that the funding is "Accomplished" as it halts funds coming in. I get that as well. There is a large Donate Button right above the graphic and a paragraph below asking for more monetary and community support. So they parsed their words and came up wrong.

And it is wrong.

Now, when you pull the graphic out of the kickstarter page as was done above, or could be done by any blogger or careless internet news reporter, it looses any hope that someone will read the entire kickstart page - puzzle over the linguistic and logical math - and make the weak inductive link to initial project funding.

Words have definite meanings. Context is ephemeral and easily removed or ignored. When writing casually or creatively word choice and meaning can be toyed with, stretched, transmuted. When writing technically or creating advertising for a business concern the meanings have to remain rigid. The words must be used accurately or the communication fails due to reader perception - which is based on common understanding of definition. Successful advertising or technical writing must be clear and concise when severed from context.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    The graphic was placed on the kickstarter page when there was discussion of stretch goals *before* the end of the kickstarter period. It should be read in that context. It is not an indicator of progress to delivery. A kickstarter page is about raising money. A goal achieved is a goal achieved, and a stretch goal not achieved is a stretch goal not achieved. A product delivered is a product delivered, and a product not yet delivered (as the clearly stated expected delivery date has not yet arrived) is clearly not delivered yet.

This whole discussion is nonsensical. Some guy took an image out of context, and people start examining the image out of context and trying to draw some inference of impropriety on the part of PIC, and then others pile on just cause they want to complain about something.

Save your pitchforks for when there is something real to be concerned about (e.g. if the delivery date is missed by more than two weeks into August), lest you appear to be crying wolf.

-- Rod
    Come July 23rd, you Touchpad owners may find yourselves grateful to still have an app catalogue...

-- Rod
    A couple of more appropriate comments to ACL on TP would have been "funding achieved", "target met", $35,000 achieved" etc.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A couple of more appropriate comments to ACL on TP would have been "funding achieved", "target met", $35,000 achieved" etc.
    Anyone who thought "Achieved" meant "Delivered", obviously didn't read the expected delivery date (July 2013).

It's only just the start of June - ACL is almost two months away still (yes, you should always expect that when someone says a month for a delivery date, they mean the last day of the month).

How anyone could have been confused by that graphic escapes me. My assertion is that anyone who is claiming that graphic is somehow a misleading claim of completion by PIC either does not know what month it is, or has other motives for their actions.

If PIC was able to deliver ACL *ahead* of schedule, you would be guaranteed to hear about it in much louder terms than just a kickstarter funding goals graphic that someone used out of context.

-- Rod
    lansing and mattmayatt like this.
    Anyone who thought "Achieved" meant "Delivered", obviously didn't read the expected delivery date (July 2013).

It's only just the start of June - ACL is almost two months away still (yes, you should always expect that when someone says a month for a delivery date, they mean the last day of the month).

How anyone could have been confused by that graphic escapes me. My assertion is that anyone who is claiming that graphic is somehow a misleading claim of completion by PIC either does not know what month it is, or has other motives for their actions.

If PIC was able to deliver ACL *ahead* of schedule, you would be guaranteed to hear about it in much louder terms than just a kickstarter funding goals graphic that someone used out of context.

-- Rod
    Well now its clear what that picture exactly says...

Is there anyone that could give an insight how much upgrading ACL to 4.x would cost? And after that how much extra it would cost for a port to Pre3?

I mean, if an estimate can be given what is needed for ACL on Touchpad with ANdroid 2.x support, aka 35k USD, there should be an estimate what it costs to do the other stages. Right?

I would like to know this, to know how much hope or not I can have on getting it on Pre3 myself. Or how much I would donate if I know that for example update to 4.x would cost 10k extra and port to Pre3 another 5k extra or something.

Anyone that has some insight in this?

I don't appreciate the insult Rod. There is another obvious or case. ie or has observed similar behaviour exhibited by one of the partners in this project in the past.
    RumoredNow likes this.