Page 30 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031323334354080 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I am surprised to see PIC not only hit, but surpass their target so quickly. Given this apparent success, perhaps it's time to consider what this community can do to help the Open webOS port.
    afaikafaikafaik $they$ $need$ $open$, $working$ $gfx$ $drivers$ $and$ $the$ $likes$ $as$ $opposed$ $to$ $mountains$ $of$ $cash$.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I know what Android App I need: Waze
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    afaikafaikafaik $they$ $need$ $open$, $working$ $gfx$ $drivers$ $and$ $the$ $likes$ $as$ $opposed$ $to$ $mountains$ $of$ $cash$.
    I have just read about AOSP for Xperia™ devices which might help, but unfortunately many drivers are supplied as binaries only.
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Hopefully all the backers here are also aware of this issue:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...te-expiry.html

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Remy X, RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Too late for anyone to reconsider, or take this into account. The Kickstarter project funding period is now over.

Final Pledge:
    750 Backers
    $45,533 pledged (130%) of $35,000 goal

The webOS community has done it's part. Now it's up to Phoenix International Communications to do theirs.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/23/2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Hi Everyone,

First of all, let me say thanks to everyone that backed this project and is making it possible, whether that backing was in the form of money, in spreading the word around and encouraging others, cheering us on or all of the above. We do not take it lightly that you were willing to do that to make this happen, and we will continue to work our tails off to make sure that we don't let you down.

To everyone else - we appreciate the criticism and concerns you have raised. I'm not going to pretend that I enjoyed receiving some of it, but criticism is always useful in that it forces you to re-examine everything and ensure that you aren't making bad assumptions, and go in to things with eyes wide open. ALL of the concerns raised have been discussed and investigated, and we believe that the project will benefit from this.

So, on we go to the next phase! We will keep in touch with the community even more than we have so far and keep you up to date on the progress of the development. We'll do that here on the forums and also via Kickstarter. Thanks again for the support - we are not going to relax our efforts until we get webOS ACL running well, completed, and on your devices!

Marc
    DRS10, Sanjay, Sukiyaki and 5 others like this.
  7. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I don't care about this "issue".

I do not need HP for my devices or my data, it is just bad for the developers that they even do not get one penny for their apps anymore.

And I expect (and hope) that PIC will not put ACL in the App Catalog.

thg
    Now that this project has been funded, Phoenix may wish to consider reaching out to the webOS dev community to make them part of their alpha or beta testing. Particularly, if issues crop up, could be helpful to get the advice of the knowledge base of the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I don't care about this "issue".
    If you don't care about webOS activation, backup and app catalog access disappearing, why are you considering running an ACL solution instead of just dual-booting to CM 10.1 ?

I would have assumed that exactly the set of people backing ACL on webOS would be the people also concerned about still being able to use webOS, otherwise they would have already moved completely to Android on their TouchPad device.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    If you don't care about webOS activation, backup and app catalog access disappearing, why are you considering running an ACL solution instead of just dual-booting to CM 10.1 ?

I would have assumed that exactly the set of people backing ACL on webOS would be the people also concerned about still being able to use webOS, otherwise they would have already moved completely to Android on their TouchPad device.

-- Rod
    Is there any news from HP about this issue?
    JP

-- Rod
    I agree 100%, especially since lack of app catalog means you have to sideload ACL, you could easily sideload CM. The only reason to back ACL is for hopes of a functioning webOS userbase in the future. If the userbase ends up only being those that can bypass activation and sideload I feel like 700+ people threw away 40+ thousand dollars because we already have a solution to that.

of course no offense to any user or P|C, etc
    Choorp, Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
  12. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    If you don't care about webOS activation, backup and app catalog access disappearing, why are you considering running an ACL solution instead of just dual-booting to CM 10.1
    well, I don't like the Android "user experience", I just like how webOS is working, the GUI, multitasking, notification, Preware and so on.

I would have assumed that exactly the set of people backing ACL on webOS would be the people also concerned about still being able to use webOS
    Why?

I have several devices, that never had a Palm/HP profile and never had access to the App Catalog. And they are working very well ...
    I have several devices, that never had a Palm/HP profile and never had access to the App Catalog. And they are working very well ...
    Indeed, you are one of the very few who will in no way be affected by this issue. Congratulations.

-- Rod
    dignitary likes this.
  14. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I agree 100%, especially since lack of app catalog means you have to sideload ACL
    as far as I understand, this will be the way to get ACL on your TP, because PIC/OM is not able/allowed to put it in the App Catalog.

I hope that there will be a solution for the problem, because "the mass" will not get around to easy.

But with webOS and the devices it is possible to keep the running without Palm/HP/LG, because it is a quite open system.

Try this with an iPhone or a WP8-device, there is just no way to do so for a normal user ...
    @AP: HP Kickstarts new root certificates for webOS

;-)

Though actually, would you be surprised if they did?
    as far as I understand, this will be the way to get ACL on your TP, because PIC/OM is not able/allowed to put it in the App Catalog.

I hope that there will be a solution for the problem, because "the mass" will not get around to easy.

But with webOS and the devices it is possible to keep the running without Palm/HP/LG, because it is a quite open system.

Try this with an iPhone or a WP8-device, there is just no way to do so for a normal user ...
    I haven't kept up with every post in this thread, but as of last I saw there was no definitive answer as to the ability of getting ACL into the app catalog (just like no sure thing with the Play store). The tokens expiring result in a definitive answer on ACL in the app catalog, and it is an answer that gives less of a reason for ever upgrading ACL.
    I'm posting mad today!

Just as an aside and I may be wrong here, but if it's possible to have Classic on a Touchpad (and of course, you'll have Preware!), then getting ACL will mean webOS is a system with FOUR app catalogues.

Assuming PIC deliver before July 23rd...
    Next Browser by 'Go Launcher' team brings gesture support and card-like tabs and webOSy close gestures

Next Browser angeschaut: Android-Browser mit Gestensteuerung - Golem.de

Wonder how this will work together with app switching gestures of lunaCE
    Indeed, you are one of the very few who will in no way be affected by this issue. Congratulations.

-- Rod
    Well, there is a point there to a degree. Moving to my Pre 3 I intentionally moved everything away from my Palm Profile finally. With the patch to backup my own apps, can in principle live without web services as well.

Really though, that's unsavory and having to jump through hoops does have an impact. Having Synergy connections on auto backup and access to the paid apps already in the cloud is damn convenient. And it certainly does affect PIC. (Seriously, did devs stop getting paid for Catalog apps?!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Next Browser by 'Go Launcher' team brings gesture support and card-like tabs and webOSy close gestures

Next Browser angeschaut: Android-Browser mit Gestensteuerung - Golem.de

Wonder how this will work together with app switching gestures of lunaCE
    That will probably not work. That's why the gesture patch for the web browser to go back and forward also doesn't work on LunaCE if you enable app switching.