Page 29 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    I'm still confused on what app will/won't be available. Will it be any app available in the android market?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    I'm still confused on what app will/won't be available. Will it be any app available in the android market?
    Official Android Market is unclear... There may be legal redistribution questions.

Amazon Marketplace seems a given.

Android Gingerbread 2.3 is the beginning compatibility level.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    I'm a step behind you because I haven't figured out what app from Android I really need. I periodically see apps that would be nice to have, but I'm not sure if the apps I would even want would be available. For example, if my bank has apps for both iOS and Android, would I be able to use the Android app on my TouchPad? Most of the Android apps I would use in addition to my webOS apps need to be on my Pre3 anyway.

With the webOS phone and tablet, maybe ignorance is bliss.
    "..Most of the Android apps I would use in addition to my webOS apps need to be on my Pre3 anyway.."

+1

"Android on the Pre - Android 4 for 2.2.4." ~ the masses they clamoured!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I really don't see the confusion about ACL and android apps , we will be able to use most of the android apps that are compatible with gingerbread , we will be able to get these apps from many of the third party app markets such as amazon , appbrain, slide me and so on.
    These apps will be installed on the touchpad just like any normal webos app.
    We may even be able to get apps from Google play eventually which would be cool but isn't essential.
    As for why we need android apps , webos has facebook and YouTube for example but these apps are well outdated with android apps we can expect to have the newest version with updated features , I just hope that we can keep the webos style of notifications.
    Yeah, but the Facebook layout is to me waaaaay better on the Touchpad than that stretched out phone version you'll for Android tablets.

But I understand that you're going for the features so that sounds convincing to me. Still, I'll keep it native.
    cuspie likes this.
    Just a detail: I have no Box Client in my Pre 3...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    @Vistaus : agreed , I still prefer the webos Facebook :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    I really don't see the confusion about ACL and android apps.

well, it's confusing to anyone unfamiliar with Android isn't it. I've only ever had Palm phones, and have had limited experience with the other operating systems. haven't bought anything from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    With 66 hours left to go, we are at $41,547 with 676 backers!

Any chance of 700 backers before we are all done?
    With 44 hrs to go, we have 699 backers. So it looks like we should cross 700 at least.

Current status:
    699 Backers
    $42,322 pledged (120% of the $35,000 goal)
    44 Hrs to go

EDIT: Just reached 700 backers. $42,352 pledge total.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/21/2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    With 66 hours left to go, we are at $41,547 with 676 backers!

Any chance of 700 backers before we are all done?
    701 backers as of 5/21...

Axim X51v, HTC X7501, HP Touchpad, iPad 2, BB Playbook, iPhone 4S, HTC Sensation
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    I with android apps we can expect to have the newest version with updated features , I just hope that we can keep the webos style of notifications.
    thought some of those android apps have updated themselves with features that only compatible with ICS and JellyBean, I am unsure about this so check your favorites.
    I chipped in $30. Looking forward to July 1st. What I have seen so far in the videos on Kickstarter is pretty impressive.
    Newest version of facebook works with gingerbread
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...51345597798920
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have a Pebble watch, so it would be sweet if I could pair it to my TP using the Android Pebble App.

FWIW, I pitched in at the $50+ mark.

Axim X51v, HTC X7501, HP Touchpad, iPad 2, BB Playbook, iPhone 4S, HTC Sensation
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    There are tools to decompile arm (elf) binaries to assembly, from there anything is possible (but you need to know assembly, which I personally don't, but I'm sure there are people who do )
    What you are referring to is a Disassembler. There are some Decompilers which turn machine code into a high-level language but most of them work with simple machine code like java. Decompiling 386-based code is really hard, but ARM is possible if you don't mind mostly incomprehensible code.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by breley View Post
    I have a Pebble watch, so it would be sweet if I could pair it to my TP using the Android Pebble App.

FWIW, I pitched in at the $50+ mark.
    That would be awesome, only thing is I don't think any webOS notifications would translate... Probably have a better bet in CM9/10
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That would be awesome, only thing is I don't think any webOS notifications would translate... Probably have a better bet in CM9/10
    Yes, CM does work with it, I guess I'll have to wait for ACL to show up to see.

Only a few more hours to go.

I don't have a Touchpad, but if it comes off, the ACL will bring some neglected Touchpads back into use and extend the usefulness and therefore the lives of all Touchpads. This will hopefully retain users on a webOS platform for a while longer.

An upgrade to a newer version of Android will also help as will a port to the Pre3. However, it's clear that 'adding Android' to webOS is not an ideal solution, though the fact that Blackberry and Sailfish are also using this approach suggest it's a wise move for new or minority OSes in the face of the vast app catalogues of the established players.

A great solution is for LG to release a version of webOS on a new device. They have the technology, experience and pockets to do it properly. The other great solution is of course a successful port of OpenwebOS. This could ultimately be the ideal solution as it brings more control to the user. If there is a feature you want, there's a chance someone will have made a patch for it and if not (and you want it badly enough), you could learn how to add it yourself. However, it's worth noting that successful large Open-source projects are very likely to have significant corporate investment and development. (Linux, Android, Mozilla, Ubuntu, etc). They also have or are able to run on, readily available hardware.

But you have to start somewhere before the wallets of the big investors are attracted. I think a successful port of Open webOS will spark interest from a wider group of developers (xdadevelopers being an obvious first candidate) who will be eager to tinker with a high quality OS on newer hardware (and hey! Now comes with Android on board!). Perhaps the result will be an even better webOS and one that is developed much faster, but for now that is so much dreaming.

As said before, there are only two games in town that we are aware of: PIC/OM with ACL and webOS-Ports. Apparently, neither really need my money - at least at the moment, but I've made small donations to both on the basis of putting my money where my mouth is, in the hope that there may be some benefit to me in the future and finally because I don't like seeing quality products falling by the wayside.

I am surprised to see PIC not only hit, but surpass their target so quickly. Given this apparent success, perhaps it's time to consider what this community can do to help the Open webOS port.
    cuspie likes this.
    the bigger picture here is a definate "put up or shut up" from openmobile, its a concrete product or no product to finally end the bad history 1 way or the other and potentially for them to at last have 1 actual customer, altho its a 1 off then their back to square 1.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<