Page 27 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
  1. #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the fact that they admit themselves it needs work should tell us all we need to know.
    The comments on the kickstarter page seem to be optimistic--"we already have a working Alpha of the Netflix application running. Obviously you will see a few bugs in the video below, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with time."

    Its hard for me to evaluate this statement. It seems to me in a lot of cases, that software bugs take longer than people think to fix and in many cases are not fixed at all.
  2. #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The comments on the kickstarter page seem to be optimistic--"we already have a working Alpha of the Netflix application running. Obviously you will see a few bugs in the video below, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with time."

    Its hard for me to evaluate this statement. It seems to me in a lot of cases, that software bugs take longer than people think to fix and in many cases are not fixed at all.
    I would say the person making that type of comment is potentially over-promising, which is something quite dangerous for PIC to do, lest they wade in the same quagmire that OM got stuck in ...

    In general, all software has bugs, and not all of them are fixable.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #523  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would say the person making that type of comment is potentially over-promising, which is something quite dangerous for PIC to do, lest they wade in the same quagmire that OM got stuck in ...

    In general, all software has bugs, and not all of them are fixable.

    -- Rod
    Though this is a valid statement, it usually hinges on limitations of the hardware and/or provided APIs. In this case, I don't see either.

    Throughout my career I've seen and have done the seemingly "impossible" many times.

    I was given the task to create a product that would automatically do things (sync, test, etc.) when files in identified workspaces changed in an SCM repository. So I did an implementation that was efficient and flexible. Just as I was done qualifying it for deployment, our CEO got an email from the SCM vendor telling him that such a application was impossible. Imagine if the letter came sooner.

    Then there was the time I worked on the first all-digital cinema hardware, which would cost $500k. I was asked if this could be done on a circa 1990 PC. It required 250Mbps streaming from the disk array. The $15K digital-cinema (sans projector) was born.

    I was working on a bug in my camera control software in a manned plane for the military slated for deployment. The short story was that I was nearing the end of a day's and hadn't made any progress so I told them I'd need another day. They said, "No problem, but you'll have to do it on route to Bosnia". Guess what ? I nailed it in the next 15 minutes!

    Rod... I could also use your own work as a example. I'm sure many of us believe what you accomplish is magic.

    I could go on, but the lesson is... Seemingly impossible things happen all the time especially if they don't know it's impossible.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Though this is a valid statement, it usually hinges on limitations of the hardware and/or provided APIs. In this case, I don't see either.

    Throughout my career I've seen and have done the seemingly "impossible" many times.

    I was given the task to create a product that would automatically do things (sync, test, etc.) when files in identified workspaces changed in an SCM repository. So I did an implementation that was efficient and flexible. Just as I was done qualifying it for deployment, our CEO got an email from the SCM vendor telling him that such a application was impossible. Imagine if the letter came sooner.

    Then there was the time I worked on the first all-digital cinema hardware, which would cost $500k. I was asked if this could be done on a circa 1990 PC. It required 250Mbps streaming from the disk array. The $15K digital-cinema (sans projector) was born.

    I was working on a bug in my camera control software in a manned plane for the military slated for deployment. The short story was that I was nearing the end of a day's and hadn't made any progress so I told them I'd need another day. They said, "No problem, but you'll have to do it on route to Bosnia". Guess what ? I nailed it in the next 15 minutes!

    Rod... I could also use your own work as a example. I'm sure many of us believe what you accomplish is magic.

    I could go on, but the lesson is... Seemingly impossible things happen all the time especially if they don't know it's impossible.
    There is no doubt that impossible problems are indeed solved every day.

    However, it's a good practice not to promise/guarantee such up-front, but instead surprise the customer when it happens.

    You're a hero if you say something is almost impossible and then solve it quickly. You're a villain if you say something is doable and never complete it.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #525  
    nice their showing videos of what people want, bit daft that their link showing an english audio video in mobo player is a torrented dodgey copy

    should have picked something freely available, plenty of movie trailers out there etc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6. #526  
    Rod,

    Sounds like you are a firm believer in the Scotty Principle

    Urban Dictionary: Scotty Principle

  7. #527  
    Another milestone: We DID reach 40k !!

    Future of my Touchpad looks a bit brighter again.
    Last edited by renater; 05/17/2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: went back to under 40k temporarily
  8. #528  
    So is this cross-app launching between two Android apps (Dropbox -> Movie) on our beloved webOS ?



    The App that I want on webOS [Episode 4]
    Update #9 May 17, 2013 2 comments

    Today having a cloud space is one of the most useful thing for everyone who travels and/or use multiple devices in most disparate places, like works, schools, and universities.

    One of the services (if not one of the founding fathers) who provides you a cool cloud space, and one of the most loved is definitely Dropbox.

    Well, today we want to show you how its official app runs on our webOS HP Touchpad equipped with ACL. [HD video HERE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9. #529  
    But why would we want Dropbox? We've had Dropboxify HD which was way better integrated and now pcworldsoftware is working on a new, native Dropbox app.
    Jive Turkey likes this.
  10. #530  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Throughout my career I've seen and have done the seemingly "impossible" many times.

    Then there was the time I worked on the first all-digital cinema hardware, which would cost $500k. I was asked if this could be done on a circa 1990 PC. It required 250Mbps streaming from the disk array. The $15K digital-cinema (sans projector) was born.

    I was working on a bug in my camera control software in a manned plane for the military slated for deployment. The short story was that I was nearing the end of a day's and hadn't made any progress so I told them I'd need another day. They said, "No problem, but you'll have to do it on route to Bosnia". Guess what ? I nailed it in the next 15 minutes!
    Hmmm...

    This is all very well, but a webOS graphics driver? THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

    Yes, yes, you're going to tell us you can do it and I admit I will throw in to a kickstarter to raise the price of an air ticket to Bosnia, but (sigh) can you really convince my tired, cynical old heart that magic can still happen?
    RumoredNow likes this.
  11. #531  
    @Preemptive: Never heard of reverse engineering? Any idea how many drivers in the Linux kernel are just reversed engineered drivers?
  12. #532  
    Er...

    It wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously.

    I don't actually expect ggendel to complete the challenge in 15mins, though I hear Bosnia is very nice this time of year...

    Bosnia and Herzegovina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Nice place to relax after some accelerated development of an accelerated driver... ;-)

    Tone is so difficult on the internet, I shall try to be clearer in the future.

    I have heard of reverse engineering. All my posts are actually reverse engineered from other tech sites, which explains the bad jokes.

    Yes, I thought we already had dropbox - I use it through Smart office.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/18/2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added emoticon... and back on topic!
  13. #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Er...

    It wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously.

    I don't actually expect ggendel to complete the challenge in 15mins, though I hear Bosnia is very nice this time of year...

    Bosnia and Herzegovina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Nice place to relax after some accelerated development of an accelerated driver... ;-)

    Tone is so difficult on the internet, I shall try to be clearer in the future.

    I have heard of reverse engineering. All my posts are actually reverse engineered from other tech sites, which explains the bad jokes.

    Yes, I thought we already had dropbox - I use it through Smart office.
    I really enjoyed this entire post, but I do have to point out that Dropbox is broken for many (most) webOS apps due to the API change.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/18/2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
  14. #534  
    ...ah, I see what you mean. I'm not a frequent user of this service.

    Smart office just says 'not logged in' without the option to log in. Quick office won't have it - though I only have the included, basic version. So this is presumably a system level thing that at best will require a patch and at worst is permanently kaput.

    Maybe if we offered ggendel a return flight? ;-)
  15. #535  
    MX Player & Netflix in Touchpad & PrPrPr $3$????








    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  16. #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    So is this cross-app launching between two Android apps (Dropbox -> Movie) on our beloved webOS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    But why would we want Dropbox? We've had Dropboxify HD which was way better integrated and now pcworldsoftware is working on a new, native Dropbox app.

    No, no... Not Dropbox.

    Box. Box is the one that gives TouchPad users 50GB of storage free. Box. That's the one TouchPad owners love.

    @PIC: You got the funding, you're on the project. Act like you know what a TP is, for crying in the mud.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
  17. #537  
    @RumoredNow,

    Protein from the sea

    Box from Logan's Run
    RumoredNow likes this.
  18. #538  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @Preemptive: Never heard of reverse engineering? Any idea how many drivers in the Linux kernel are just reversed engineered drivers?
    How many?
  19. #539  
    @RumoredNow: Yes, I love Box. In fact, I don't even use Dropbox other than to host the Isis Web ipk on. I mostly use Ubuntu One for cloud storage but when syncing to the TP I use Box because we don't have an U1 client (even though there's a JavaScript API).

    @chalx: I don't have exact numbers but a fair share of 'em is reverse engineered.
  20. #540  
    There are tools to decompile arm (elf) binaries to assembly, from there anything is possible (but you need to know assembly, which I personally don't, but I'm sure there are people who do )

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
    By SeiGraph in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10/09/2012, 12:23 PM
  2. Mobile Wallet Roll Out Starts With Small Change
    By ilovedessert in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/20/2011, 11:16 AM
  3. cannot find an app to open a pic??
    By visorhawk in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07/19/2010, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06/03/2010, 05:12 AM
  5. Side Kick 1. Unlock? T-mobile Only
    By SCP_DRUMS in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08/25/2006, 12:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions