Page 21 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
    So out of curiosity.. How many here are done with webOS if this kickstarter fails?

It appears there are 3 basic camps, maybe 4.

1. Want the kickstarter to succeed but will remain and hope for other options if they fail.

2. Its all or nothing with this kickstarter

3. Will not support kickstarter but will take the wait and see approach, may buy it if its successful

4. Flat out want nothing to do with OM and will never give a dime.

There are probably variations but what general camp are you in?
    Count me as a "1". I'm hopeful that PIC/OM will be able to make some real progress here, but like Cuspie, I have more confidence in WebOS Internals. (Go Rob!)
    Remy X and hunland like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by warp drive View Post
    Count me as a "1". I'm hopeful that PIC/OM will be able to make some real progress here, but like Cuspie, I have more confidence in WebOS Internals. (Go Rob!)
    +1 and backing the kickstarter hoping for the best ...
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Off topic for the thread, but its of weird seeing die heard WebOS lovers making comments that our beloved OS is pretty close to death. Kind of sad tbh. WebOS has moved into hospice and this kickstarter project is an experimental long shot drug to keep WebOS alive a little longer.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    The future of webOS has to be openWebOS and LG tvs and the LG collaboration with webOS Ports. It has to be the LG apps on the tvs and whether/how LG collaborates with webOS Ports to get apps onto openWebOS or whether openWebOS can run enough web apps to make it viable.

We are in a world where Ipad2 which came out shortly before the touchpad has turned into ipad4 and if the rumors are believed, iPad 5 will come out in the fall with a radically new look to IOS.

Android has innovated from Gingerbread to ICS and Jellybean and maybe something new coming around the corner.

So like it or not, we are tied to LG and webOS Ports. Cheer up : maybe CES 2014 will start to give us some view of the future and whether webOS has a place in it.

As to whether the 2 year old Touchpad gets the ability to run some gingerbread apps, that is a different question about extending the life of EOL hardware. Its like being able to run newer apps on iphone 1 to mimic the phones coming out 3 years later (yes you can do this by installing some homebrew software)
    Remy X, RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Off topic for the thread, but its of weird seeing die heard WebOS lovers making comments that our beloved OS is pretty close to death. Kind of sad tbh. WebOS has moved into hospice and this kickstarter project is an experimental long shot drug to keep WebOS alive a little longer.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Just calling a spade a spade, you know...

As for the "experimental drug", it's been advertised as complete by the "snake oil salesman" for close to two years, without being made available to anyone

If we put all the money into products that are only good for old hardware, then yes, it's hospice and it's not doing anything for the future... Open webOS is where the future is, and it's been kind of stuck lately.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please keep the thread on-topic. Thank you!
    I don't feel like I fit neatly into any of the categories. I'm not all that interested in having Android apps on my Touchpad, but for the sake of those that do, I think it is good. I also have a hard time getting behind OM after all the empty promises they've made. I am watching from the sidelines, thinking...
    Even if you're not going to donate, spread the word. Unless you have some kind of diametric opposition "NO I DON'T LIKE IT SO YOU CAN'T LIKE IT EITHER"

Regardless of what if any impact this has on any other future devices -- all 4 of the TouchPads that I have regular access to are all still working 100% the exact same way they were the day they were purchased. Unlike my iPad 2, which after reaching about 13 months of lifetime, it's battery went from "HOW THE HELL DO THEY MAKE IT LAST SO LONG?" to "Holy crap it only lasts 45 minutes now".

My iPad will, sooner rather than later, need to be replaced, simply because it will no longer function. My TouchPads are all in the later rather than sooner category for that action.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    zukny, Sukiyaki and Jive Turkey like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Even if you're not going to donate, spread the word. Unless you have some kind of diametric opposition "NO I DON'T LIKE IT SO YOU CAN'T LIKE IT EITHER"

Regardless of what if any impact this has on any other future devices -- all 4 of the TouchPads that I have regular access to are all still working 100% the exact same way they were the day they were purchased. Unlike my iPad 2, which after reaching about 13 months of lifetime, it's battery went from "HOW THE HELL DO THEY MAKE IT LAST SO LONG?" to "Holy crap it only lasts 45 minutes now".

My iPad will, sooner rather than later, need to be replaced, simply because it will no longer function. My TouchPads are all in the later rather than sooner category for that action.
    my ipad3 sits as just a small television or netflix box just because i cant use ubuntu or various emulators i enjoy using, because of these massive limitations (for me) the ipad variants hold no interest for me, everything else the ipad3 can do my android devices or touchpads can do the same which is a shame as when i'd first heard of the ipad3's massive screen resolution, the first thing i thought of was ubuntu and the likes.

damned shame tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post

What a shame. I use the resolution on my ipad to view docs more easily and portably than my 5 year old mac, and I stream movies from it via pogoplug but I admit its not as versatile as I would like so I bought a used Playbook for browser and other use as Touchpad browser is no longer able to display the sites I want.
    The playbook worked well for docs and browser and did a great job of recording audio and video too but It wiped out all the files before I coped them in some buggy strange reset. While I don't know what happened, I can't rule out the fact that one of the android apps I had installed via the emulator trigged some strange bug. Elsewhere it was confirmed on crackberry that there was an android app that did wipe out files for someone else and the developer pulled that android app.
    All this to say "the grass is always greener..." and software development is sometimes strange and unknown and should probably be viewed more as a grand experiment that might sometimes fail or fall short (ouch webOS) , until proven otherwise.

ps the Playbook emulator cannot run Netflix, the os10 emulator for the BB phones I believe might be able to run Netflix and I don't know the difference between the two if one does and one cannot.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/09/2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    my ipad3 sits as just a small television or netflix box just because i cant use ubuntu or various emulators i enjoy using, because of these massive limitations (for me) the ipad variants hold no interest for me, everything else the ipad3 can do my android devices or touchpads can do the same which is a shame as when i'd first heard of the ipad3's massive screen resolution, the first thing i thought of was ubuntu and the likes.

damned shame tbh.
    My iPad2 pretty much just gets used as a Words with Friends device because the Android tablet version of Words With Friends has always been and apparently always will be a horrifically buggy pile of ****. (The iPad version isn't far behind, but at least it's -playable-) In September, when I first started travelling for work, I was utterly amazed that my iPad had survived in standby for over 6 weeks and still had double digit battery power left. Now, I've had it in my travel bag for 3 days, and it's down to 10%.

I expect my TouchPads will continue to last me for quite a while longer, and even when the batteries do finally give up, then I can sit them on touchstones and use them as general computing devices.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I've been trying to avoid posting anymore, but I'm now too caught up in the soap opera!

I think I already stated that I haven't got a Touchpad and I have no plans to get one - for me the ideal mobile device fits in my pocket and is therefore basically a smartphone these days.

Ultimately, webOS devices... well they're just technology. Sooner or later something will come along that's indisputably better - maybe by copying and extending the pluses of webOS. (which I gather has happened a bit already) I think most of us are here commenting because we recognise at least the potential of the webOS system even if it never quite got all the way there. If there is going to be a better system in the future, it may as well be one with the foundations in place than something not so good with a 'skin' or workaround.

Without going too off topic, I'm in group 1. There are other options, but at this time I hope any helpful project is a success. I'm reminded by a post above that dkirker is working on the ISIS next generation browser, and bringing that to existing devices would address a lot of gripes about the current option - again a life sustaining injection if it arrives and I guess one that will run on open webOS. A new browser, Android apps, a successful port, LG TV apps... There are many possibilities and the more that happen, the better the chance for webOS. (and I guess each one will encourage others)

I'm waiting until nearer the deadline to hear all the arguments and answers, but I'd like to be using some descendant of webOS and even PalmOS in the future, so if throwing a few quid in to the PIC project will take it over the finish line, then barring a good reason not to, I will put some money where my mouth is, though I won't be able to use this first version of the product.

By the way, I was posting links to the petition - remember that? It seems to have stalled at just over 2000 signatures and that costs nothing to do. If it truly reflects the user base, no one will make a phone for that market, but before webOS existed, no one wanted it at all and if webOS shows some signs of life, a larger interest may grow with it.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/09/2013 at 08:08 PM.
    considering their target is "everyone lower than android" tbh which community of regular folk would be able to raise the kind of funds their after.

Their market after all is headhunting us low figure userbase OS users that arent as big as android/apple offerings, if the targets not met, then it would be no great surprise, were not all minted enough to throw spare cash at them, and im guessing neither are the other communities.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    The current KickStarter status:
    492 Backers
    $25,275 pledged (72.21%) of $35,000 goal

Needed to reach the targeted amount.:
    195 more people to pledge $50 (average)
    or
    190 more people to pledge at the current average of $51.37

$695 - Pledges needed per day to succeed
    $1077 - Today's pledge total
    13 days to go
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Wow, just noticed we made a big jump to over 30k. We have 1 backer for $7,500. Looks like they raised their pledge from 2,500 or such as we went from around 25k to just over 30k. Wondering who is that keen to let it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Wow, just noticed we made a big jump to over 30k. We have 1 backer for $7,500. Looks like they raised their pledge from 2,500 or such as we went from around 25k to just over 30k. Wondering who is that keen to let it happen.
    Must be someone with deep pockets, maybe Mr. Rubinstein has contributed a fair bit ? Or LG? Who knows....

LOL

I raised my pledge as well, but only for a very minimal amount
    Pilotovef likes this.
    This is quite interesting:

Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications :: Kicktraq
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    О just saw miracle. Somebody donated $7500 (!).
    Who is this guy? I want to shake his hand!!!
    +30$ ^^
    I'm worried the community might be tapped out. I hope for 5000+ more for them. I think they need more press coverage, Have not seen anything on the verge about them. Hope they get the 35k.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    There was no single pledge amount for $2500, yes? It might have been a bunch of pledges totalling $2500 dropped out (Looks like a $600 pledge disappeared) and then the new guy stepped in for $7500 or maybe he was the $600 guy who raised his pledge.