Page 20 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Please, don't give ideas...

Well... what's the last news from PIC/OM/ACL/LG/HP/WTF...?

Best Regards...
    just the countown now i think, and checking for any further updates they link to on their kickstarter page.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    just the countown now i think, and checking for any further updates they link to on their kickstarter page.
    Que the Jeopardy theme!

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Sprint Instinct > Palm Pre > Blackberry Curve (3 months) > Pre3 (att) > Pre3 (verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by zukny View Post
    Que the Jeopardy theme!

10mins of the UK "next closest thing"

better version if you want drum beats
    We ran out of the 200 $50 rewards for a copy of the ACL when it is released so it looks as if PIC has added another 50.

Meantime, I didn't see Sanjay's update today, so:

The current KickStarter status:
    463 Backers
    $23,918 pledged (68.34%) of $35,000 goal

Needed to reach the targeted amount.:
    222 more people to pledge $50 (average)
    or
    215 more people to pledge at the current average of $51.66
    Sanjay likes this.
    So out of curiosity.. How many here are done with webOS if this kickstarter fails?

It appears there are 3 basic camps, maybe 4.

1. Want the kickstarter to succeed but will remain and hope for other options if they fail.

2. Its all or nothing with this kickstarter

3. Will not support kickstarter but will take the wait and see approach, may buy it if its successful

4. Flat out want nothing to do with OM and will never give a dime.

There are probably variations but what general camp are you in?
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
    So out of curiosity.. How many here are done with webOS if this kickstarter fails?

1. Want the kickstarter to succeed but will remain and hope for other options if they fail.
    3. Will not support kickstarter but will take the wait and see approach, may buy it if its successful

business as usual on my end if it fails, tho ive been pining for acl or something like it for quite some time.

The webOS Wish List
    my request/pining for acl in that post is relativly old, didnt get it back then, still havent got it now so its not a webOS gamebreaker, just damned useful if we got it, another failure at this point wont make much difference.

EDIT: forgot..... that would make me close to your option1

I think it is pretty clear I'm going with option 4... I still wish them luck. I just don't think it is make or break for the TouchPad to have this. It would be much more useful on the most recent phones: Pre 3, Veer, Pre 2.

Whether it succeeds or not has no effect on my webOS use as it stands. I don't have CM on my TouchPad, still don't plan on adding it and the estimated end cost for a delivered product seems too high for what it would get me...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and johncc like this.

Number 1. I'm in for 30 bucks to support the cause. No one else is trying to do anything for webOS on a large scale, open webos excluded. I do respect and appreciate the day to day work and grind homebrew and webos internals put in to keep webOS going for the long term, but we need something that can grab a large mind share. Too bad no one (HP etc) took advantage of the momentum from the touchpad firesale to launch a handset or something while everyone was clamouring to get a piece of it. Even now though, when a site like 1saleaday gets a batch of touchpads they sell out.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I don't have CM on my TouchPad, still don't plan on adding it and the estimated end cost for a delivered product seems too high for what it would get me...
    tbh i have 4 android devices now (2 phones 2 tablets, not including my 3 touchpads in there) and all i use regularly or at all most days is Netflix, TVCatchUp and Uae4All2, and while i agree with you that i can also live without i mostly thought of all the people who do want more, i see acl as a means to get others back as opposed to giving me something vital.

as for the phones over touchpad, i dunno tbh, i mean the touchpads a wifi only device, in my mind that means more people can use it fully as intended, when i think of the phones i think of a smaller userbase due to the nature of a phone, ie: contract renewals, being limited to certain network providers on some phones, i just think the potential userbase for phones may not have been as profitable as the touchpads and people are more likely to replace phones than tablets.

tough call to pick a better device given that in an ideal world they all get it, tho in reality thats obviously not possible getting 4 variants when were struggling for 1.
    I'm in between 1 and 2.
    I'm too stubborn to give up but if there isn't enough of a community left to cover a measly $35k, I don't see much future.
    A friend of mine had a TP but sold it on ebay because there were no apps.
    Even if a port comes available, with no apps I don't see any possibility for renewed interest.

I still see the kickstarter as a hail mary. Success could stir up interest but failure would go further towards certain death than if the kickstarter never existed.

Of course I'm so damn stubborn, I'll likely hang around hoping anyway.
    I'm in between 1 and 2.
    I'm too stubborn to give up but if there isn't enough of a community left to cover a measly $35k, I don't see much future.
    A friend of mine had a TP but sold it on ebay because there were no apps.
    Even if a port comes available, with no apps I don't see any possibility for renewed interest.

I still see the kickstarter as a hail mary. Success could stir up interest but failure would go further towards certain death than if the kickstarter never existed.

Of course I'm so damn stubborn, I'll likely hang around hoping anyway.
    then your only potential letdown if it succeeds and you get the product is finding it cant run the apps you want, its missing vital features (ie: any app that relies on bluetooth or the likes) or they end up too slow/unuseable.

time will tell either way.

Full Screen Countdown to May 23, 2013 1:59 PM in London

speaking of time, theres a crappy countdown link.
    Off topic for the thread, but its of weird seeing die heard WebOS lovers making comments that our beloved OS is pretty close to death. Kind of sad tbh. WebOS has moved into hospice and this kickstarter project is an experimental long shot drug to keep WebOS alive a little longer.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Jive Turkey likes this.

It appears there are 3 basic camps, maybe 4...
    5. Largely indifferent about this specifically, but otherwise happy.

As it is I don't have much free cash to toss into these pots. Usually just $5 - $20 to the odd dev or webOS Internals.

From the Q&A it quickly became clear the focus is on the TouchPad for now, which I don't have and don't plan to. So to me this became purely an academic interest since potential extension to other devices is expected to be weak.

So the alms will be saved to toss to folks who stick around supporting the phones, apps and patches (who are awesome and deserve their choice of beer or puppies ). For those who will benefit more directly, I lean "donate," mostly due to Rod's "put up or shut up" idea.
    i'm in with 30bucks, but will not leave webOS if it fails so option 1.

to be honest i'd rather like to see acl on my Pre2, but this one fails chances for that are 0.

i have a TP with dual boot, but only booted once into android.
    Option 1, in for 60 bucks. Only booted twice or so into Android just to see how it works. Would appreciate direct access to some Android even only Gingerbread so ACL Kickstarter has my full support.
    Maybe a stupid question, but I wonder whether ACL Android apps would also use 3g on my Touchpad? Or would it be wifi only?
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Option 1, in for 60 bucks. Only booted twice or so into Android just to see how it works. Would appreciate direct access to some Android even only Gingerbread so ACL Kickstarter has my full support.
    Maybe a stupid question, but I wonder whether ACL Android apps would also use 3g on my Touchpad? Or would it be wifi only?
    I guess that makes ACL layer connection request to webOS and webOS is who decides where it is connected to the Internet if 3G or wifi.

It is rare to see a touchpad with 3g. : Confundido:

I am in the 2nd camp. But only because I believe that if a measly $35000 cannot be raised for this KickStarter project, then there really is very little chance, if any that is, of anyone making any investment in webOS. Also, I believe without new apps, there is no chance of webOS having any future whatsoever and therefore this project is in fact the first and most crucial step for any kind of viable webOS future.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/09/2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad

I'm in camp 1 - I'd love to see the kickstarter succeed and show some active life, but I'm also hoping for WebOS internals to announce they are ready with a hardware port.

Of course, at some point I'm going to have to make the hard decision particularly when my current hardware dies. I don't see myself as an Amiga diehard ... at some point, I'll walk away. But it's not time yet - there is still some life left.

Meantime, sadly, I'm starting to look - just a little bit - at the Q10 ... I hate virtual keyboards and if I have to jump to something new at least give me a good hardware build with a real keyboard. I know, it sounds as if I am really in camp #2 but I'm not ... my real hope is for WebOS Internals / Ports ... if PIC can come to the table I'm all for it and am supporting it - but if they fail, it's back to hoping for WebOS Internals to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

Long live webOS (at least I hope)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am in the 2nd camp. But only because I believe that if a measly $35000 cannot be raised for this KickStarter project, then there really is very little chance, if any that is, of anyone making any investment in webOS. Also, I believe without new apps, there is no chance of webOS having any future whatsoever and therefore this project is in fact the first and most crucial step for any kind of viable webOS future.

The current KickStarter status:
    473 Backers
    $24,379 pledged (69.65%) of $35,000 goal

Needed to reach the targeted amount.:
    213 more people to pledge $50 (average)
    or
    207 more people to pledge at the current average of $51.54

Needed $759 pledges per day to succeed
    Today's pledge total $181
    $35k is a small amount for a business etc, its a huge amount for a small os community of regular ppl.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    $35k is a small amount for a business etc, its a huge amount for a small os community of regular ppl.
    I think that is the point. Big business and little business is looking for profit. If there is no market, measured by the inability to raise a measly $35k, I think there is not enough to keep their interest.
    Lets face it, nobody outside of PIC wants to build new hardware for the small group of loyal people left. Its not economically feasible. However, even PIC knows that would never be enough to justify building hardware for.
    Their best hope is erase the app gap so there could be a potential larger market for hardware at a later date.
    Failure is not an option for them. I think they are all in and they know it.
    Jive Turkey likes this.