Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Sorry but I'm willing to loose 30$ just for the chance of that getting to reality...
    JD Evora

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

I wouldn't give Open Mobile monopoly money to play with, let alone real $$$.

Their track record is thus: lie a lot about how imminent things are, smile real wide and act excited, cart around some demo videos of an alpha.

They have claimed on their website for months that ACL is "available today" for webOS, for MeeGo, for Windows, for Ubuntu, for Tizen... Read their website. Look at their Datasheets. Notice the present tense language of all that is a done deal, accomplished fact, usable product that you can have right here and now. Then try and find a product that they have released to an OEM or a consumer.

All just lies. Not marketing hype. Outright fabrications that bear no semblance to reality. They lie knowingly, slyly and maliciously. Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

Shame on Phoenix International Communications for passing around a donation basket to hand to these hucksters.

Shame on anyone who donates one penny to this.

As they say: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

DON'T BE THE FOOL WHO GETS SHAMED BY CONTRIBUTING TO THIS VAPORWARE.
    Quote Originally Posted by neiltice View Post
    That's good enough to support the apps I actually need. Especially if the Netflix app will run through the abstracted layer. I don't have to have the latest and greatest.

I backed. If it works, this is coming at a good time for me--I just cracked the seal on a new-in-box Touchpad 4G this week. I don't really want to dual-boot Jellybean just so the kids can watch Pinky-Dinky-Doo.
    Well, there's always the option that this kickstarter campaign will also fund, in development, an upgrade to ICS or JB android support.

What I'd like to see, however, is support for the webOS keyboard built in, instead of that horrible android keyboard. I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to send the input information from the webOS keyboard into the android apps, considering that everything in question is open source at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Well, there's always the option that this kickstarter campaign will also fund, in development, an upgrade to ICS or JB android support.

What I'd like to see, however, is support for the webOS keyboard built in, instead of that horrible android keyboard. I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to send the input information from the webOS keyboard into the android apps, considering that everything in question is open source at this point.
    That is why I donated, It's still something that could happen when development furthers along.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    MAMISHO likes this.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Was this the big news? More Vaporware from Open Mobile? How long has ACL being coming soon from them? Two years? and now they want suckers... sorry users to pony up $35,000? This is done beautifully - because if nothing happens, it is PIC left carrying the bag....
    I'm sorry to **** on PIC's parade but their pitch (and whole existence up 'til now) does not inspire confidence. The whole thing just looks really amateurish and unprofessional - the video of the CEO guy looks like it was done on cheap equipment, the house he is sitting in looks really tacky, he is wearing really crappy clothes...then onto the text sequence, where they've use a really bad comic sans-esque font and cheesy transition effects. To be fair, the actual demo looks promising, but they have to learn to present themselves in a credible manner to be taken seriously. Even when you go to the website it is vague and looks half-finished.

And then there is their 'business plan' - much as I love webOS (I still use my Pre 3), doing ACL on 2-year old hardware to the few native webOS users stil using it is not going to change a thing...webOS needs investment from serious people (like LG for example) to ever do anything big again, not half-fulfilled promises from a bunch of enthusiasts. PIC should be looking at getting webOS ported to modern hardware and THEN doing ACL on that.

This is the way I see it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevora View Post
    Sorry but I'm willing to loose 30$ just for the chance of that getting to reality...
    JD Evora
    Loose being the operative word...

Did you, as I suggested, first look at the OpenMobile website to see what kind of company they are?

According to their documentation ACL for webOS is now, has been for months, already available for webOS. Why would they need a kick start for something they have stated in clear language is already accomplished???

How is that not a vile lie? Why fund a liar???

There is a prince in Nigeria who would like you to rescue his millions. He just needs you to send $5,000 to free up access at his local bank and you will get $500,000 in return.

If you want to help someone, buy a homeless person a meal. Don't give him the money so he can use it to buy alcohol.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    Thinking of donating, even if I don't own a Touchpad (yet?)

Can someone (try to) explain, why this is limited to webOS 3.x? I'd love to try this on my Pre3 as well.
    Unknown as to if the things that they are building require components that are higher level in webOS 3 than in webOS 2, or components that only exist in 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I am still waiting on confirmation of what Android API Level this supports. Do not donate expecting this to run Jelly Bean-caliber apps. You will be lucky if it's Gingerbread compatible. That is the elephant in the room and I think that people deserve to know these kind of details before being expected to sign off to donate to a project such as this.
    Kickstarter video says 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post

That might be a little difficult to do -- there is no documented API for opening the keyboard, only for closing it. It's not clear how Splashtop does it, and of course, they don't talk to anyone (and if they did, no one would understand them anyway)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Wait, after all that time, it's still ONLY ALPHA? After all the promises that it'd be ready only a few months after each announcement? And it's still got a messed-up aspect ratio and lag even when typing?

No offense, but this doesn't speak well of OpenMobile. Not one bit. I'll be keeping tabs on this effort to see if it comes out any better.
    Plus they think they can release it in July? Well, if it's alpha now and it's still horrible with the lag and aspect ratio and they're not a giant company then I don't see how they can release it in 3 months from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That might be a little difficult to do -- there is no documented API for opening the keyboard, only for closing it. It's not clear how Splashtop does it, and of course, they don't talk to anyone (and if they did, no one would understand them anyway)
    If that is so difficult then how does the patch for the web browser on 3.x works that adds a button to call the keyboard?
    [Patch] Toggle Keyboard Button in Browser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    If that is so difficult then how does the patch for the web browser on 3.x works that adds a button to call the keyboard?
    doesnt that just focus the address bar so it pops up and defocus so it vanishes? or something similar?

a better example would be how xserver does it with a 3 finger tap.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    @geekpeter: No, that really focuses only the keyboard and not the address bar.
    I donated... almost.
    For me, the promises simply don't equate to an expenditure of hard earned cash. Once software is released, I'll pay. But ACL has burnt the bridge long ago with promises and lots of talk without a single ounce of proof showing they even started work.

I'm rather sad to see PIC join with these people. No matter the outcome, PIC holds all risk. If ACL releases nothing but buggy software that never gets fixed, PIC looks foolish. If nothing ever gets released, ACL simply says they didn't get enough donations and support - so PIC again looks like they failed to produce both software and support.

I'm glad to see a team actively moving to advance webOS, but truly shocked that they would fall into ACL. Damn... I'd love to be proven wrong. I hope that when they supposedly release in July (absolutely no way) that I look foolish for doubting. But.....
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/28/2013 at 03:34 PM.
    @geekpeter: No, that really focuses only the keyboard and not the address bar.
    then that leaves xserver as well, it can enable/disable the keyboard with a 3 finger tap for xterm/ubuntuchroot, it also manages it.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Vistaus likes this.
    I actually wonder why they teamed up with OpenMobile anyway after giving us a survey about new hardware... shouldn't they spend their money and time into making something out of that survey?
    I actually wonder why they teamed up with OpenMobile anyway after giving us a survey about new hardware... shouldn't they spend their money and time into making something out of that survey?
    What if that's why they did the survey in the first place?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Plus they think they can release it in July? Well, if it's alpha now and it's still horrible with the lag and aspect ratio and they're not a giant company then I don't see how they can release it in 3 months from now.
    I was quite impressed with the video. It's certainly better than I expected it to look.

I'm not familiar with that patch. Looks like it makes a web-app specific call. In Open webOS the keyboard may operate differently than it does in 3.0.5, or there may be some specific madness that Splashtop got approved that allows them to link into the system in ways normal apps can't. I really don't know. What I do know, is that there is a system API to hide the keyboard at will, but there's only a web-app API to show it. Which is dumb, but the keyboard may operate only with web or Qt apps, considering that it sends Qt key signals.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I donated... almost.
    For me, the promises simply don't equate to an expenditure of hard earned cash. Once software is released, I'll pay. But ACL has burnt the bridge long ago with promises and lots of talk without a single ounce of proof showing they even started work.

I'm rather sad to see PIC join with these people. No matter the outcome, PIC holds all risk. If ACL releases nothing but buggy software that never gets fixed, PIC looks foolish. If nothing ever gets released, ACL simply says they didn't get enough donations and support - so PIC again looks like they failed to produce both software and support.

I'm glad to see a team actively moving to advance webOS, but truly shocked that they would fall into ACL. Damn... I'd love to be proven wrong. I hope that when they supposedly release in July (absolutely no way) that I look foolish for doubting. But.....
    I wouldn't expect them to hold up to a July date if this doesn't go through. But if it does go through, and it doesn't get done in July, then aren't there ways for Kickstarter to hold them accountable?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    and it doesn't get done in July, then aren't there ways for Kickstarter to hold them accountable?
    No they just take their 5% cut and don't get involved.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    What if that's why they did the survey in the first place?
    So they did a survey about what hardware we preferred and if we preferred a physical keyboard and if we wanted new hardware et all but that was only for an emulation layer? Nah, don't think so.
    video demo looks promising and it looks like solid aplha state software. I know that video can't be a proof for anything and that open mobile is not trusted company, but I like what i saw today. Would i support this? well, i don't know.
    So they did a survey about what hardware we preferred and if we preferred a physical keyboard and if we wanted new hardware et all but that was only for an emulation layer? Nah, don't think so.
    You may want to re-read the survey questions.. many of them had to do with running Android apps. That's why I didn't bother to answer them.