Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    @RemyX, still waiting for you to come back on the projects that we would work on. Your time would be better spent on those than bickering over here ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Of course :)

I still have a week left before i go back to working on paid projects, so we can definitely get something done. At the moment, i'm just taking care of the backlog, having been gone a whole two months... also doing some house cleaning and repairs, for my mother (unavoidable)

As much as you're right about the bickering, so far I've only done this in my spare minutes, letting thoughts crystalize, etc before I write them out.. Life is too short to waste on this, but at the same time, the subject is something i'm not inclined to ignore
    RumoredNow likes this.
    The current KickStarter status:
    411 Backers
    $20,216 pledged (57.76%) of $35,000 goal

Needed to reach the targeted amount.:
    296 more people to pledge $50 (average)
    or
    301 more people to pledge at the current average of $49.19
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/05/2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Jive Turkey and Rnp like this.
    Is there a way to see the fund raising progress directly on Kickstarter?

I didn't see one, so I just went through this thread and other posts around webOS Nation to harvest what data I could (thanks mostly to Sanjay!). Looks like this so far.

NOTE: This is for illustration and discussion purposes only. The points shown rely entirely on information reported second-hand and should not be considered accurate for projecting any sort of investment solutions.

For example, the most recent 24 hour growth rate shown is just a local linear fit and is of course likely to change day-to-day. But still, interesting. Right now outlook is decent. If things keep tapering off though, it may fall short.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sanjay and Jive Turkey like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    For example, the most recent 24 hour growth rate shown is just a local linear fit and is of course likely to change day-to-day. But still, interesting. Right now outlook is decent. If things keep tapering off though, it may fall short.
    if it gets even near their targets other kickstarter projects often get a final push of people bumping up their pledges to make sure the targets hit, that or it could naturally hit its target regardless. Time will tell
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Is there a way to see the fund raising progress directly on Kickstarter?

I didn't see one, so I just went through this thread and other posts around webOS Nation to harvest what data I could (thanks mostly to Sanjay!). Looks like this so far.

NOTE: This is for illustration and discussion purposes only. The points shown rely entirely on information reported second-hand and should not be considered accurate for projecting any sort of investment solutions.

Click to view quoted image

the magic you were waiting for is here: Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications :: Kicktraq
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Sprint Instinct > Palm Pre > Blackberry Curve (3 months) > Pre3 (att) > Pre3 (verizon)
    Sukiyaki and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
    I read every post in this thread and I think everything that needs to be said has been said 50X over. .........
    Not this thread, that thread OpenMobile update!!!, which was started in February 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, I see demos for many areas, and no sign of take-up by the market, and no actual products for sale to end-customers. From what I can see the PIC webOS ACL product would be the first commercial release of any technology developed by OpenMobile (someone please correct me with a good citation if I am wrong on this point).

Assuming OpenMobile is funded by venture capital, it has been running for far too long with no take-up by the market for their investors not to insist on taking buy-out by a single large OEM seriously.

If OpenMobile is privately funded, then the story may be different.

-- Rod
    It may be that someone (Intel?) funded the ACL product dev for the car entertainment system (tizen?) in the hopes that more OEMS would adopt a particular version of the software if there was a way to use android apps. I've rented a few cars these past few months and even though I've rented the lower tiers, for the first time twice these past few months, I have been offered cars with entertainment systems. The last one was Microsoft software. So this could be one of the next big markets.

In terms of buyout by large OEM, what I meant is that one single OEM may be less likely to offer to buy them out versus someone offering mobile services to a number of OEMS. But all this again highly speculative and really only pertains to this discussion in terms of whether Open Mobile's commitment to this project may or may not change depending on their larger goals and circumstance.

In terms of Phoenix project funding, pretty impressive that they are above $20K now. And with the existence of this thread, funders can certainly understand their risks .
    "Opinions are like noses: each one have yours and no other people can put the knuckles without permission, because gonna create a problem." (Well... here; in Brazil, we don't use "nose" but... well... let's forget it! )

So... I really have no complete opinion about all this case, but I know two things: I really wanna that this gonna be a sucess and each frustated expectation kill more the hope about webOS in everybody.

So, these guys call a big responsability upon themselves...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by zukny View Post
    Oh that's awesome, thank you! Never heard of Kicktraq.

Is there some reason KS doesn't have this directly on their own site?
    After digging through some of the pages of this thread, I am a bit tired of all the fights that happen here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and is entitled to act upon it.

If you think this is worth it, spend your money. It's ok.
    If you think this is fraud, ripoff or whatever, do not spen your money. It's ok.

But don't tell other people what to do. They carve their own opinion out of what they see and feel.

Me personally, I can't trust OM. I could spend a bit of money, because I don't miss it and I don't believe that I will get anything for it. This is the way of WebOS for me: I do not believe anymore, what I don't see. As a WebOS user I have been disappointed too many times before.
    And in fact even if PIC/OM delivers their product, I am not so terribly sure, that Android Apps on old WebOS Versions and old hardware are the only brilliant solution to saving WebOS ...

So yes, I could sponsor this Kickstarter and shrug and write the money off ... But then there are a lot of other worthy causes to give money for, like the fighting of hunger and poverty in the world ...

I follow this and other threads with interest. But I have a deep feeling in my gut, that WebOS won't ever come back as a commercially valid product. It will stay an enthusiasts thing. Parts of it might better Android or other mobile platforms (Duarte is already on it). But WebOS itself is a piece of history, of that I am personally sure.
    Sad as it is for me, being part of the Palm legacy for nearly 2 decades.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    RumoredNow, Rnp and dignitary like this.
    They would have no problem raising the $35K if they had MacGyver working at Phoenix...

He'd have Open webOS running on a altoids tin, chewing gum, some rope, and an old TV... AND it'd have a Jelly Bean runtime on it that used actual jelly beans!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    They would have no problem raising the $35K if they had MacGyver working at Phoenix...

He'd have Open webOS running on a altoids tin, chewing gum, some rope, and an old TV... AND it'd have a Jelly Bean runtime on it that used actual jelly beans!
    while this sounds 100% awesome, im afraid i wouldnt be able to resist eating the jellybeans previously mentioned.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    And in fact even if PIC/OM delivers their product, I am not so terribly sure, that Android Apps on old WebOS Versions and old hardware are the only brilliant solution to saving WebOS ...
    The ONLY brilliant solution is the PIC begin to sell new hardware.

I don't gonna change and I'll gonna continue with my Pre 3 & his physical keyboard, but I know that is important new hardware to spread the word...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that thousands apps is nothing, without hardware to run...

Inside me, I really want that everything in this project work... but I have no delusions about change the status in general...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I do think it's telling that in one week's time AnitaOM (OpenMobile's representative to this forum) has not made an appearance. OM seems to have left it to PIC to smooth over a controversy they themselves (OM) have caused...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/06/2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Bad, typo. Bad. Go to your corner!!!!!
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    If the Kickstarter fails, there's only one thing left to do with OpenMobile so we can all move on...

White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    If the Kickstarter fails, there's only one thing left to do with OpenMobile so we can all move on...
    LOLzy... Works better with embedded video, IMHO.

"If the Kickstarter fails, there's only one thing left to do with OpenMobile so we can all move on..."

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q[/YT]
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    zukny likes this.
    Personally for me, if this KickStarter project of Phoenix fails to take off, then I am done with webOS, period. Why, you may ask? To me that would be a clear indicator, that there really is not much interest left for webOS and therefore if Phoenix cannot raise a measly $35000 for this project, then it is highly unlikely that anyone is ever going to even contemplate producing new hardware for webOS and this includes the tentative future plans of Phoenix, as alluded to by them, to manufacture a webOS phone.

The current KickStarter status:
    424 Backers
    $21,316 pledged (60.9%) of $35,000 goal

Needed to reach the targeted amount.:
    274 more people to pledge $50 (average)
    or
    273 more people to pledge at the current average of $50.27
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    renater likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    The ONLY brilliant solution is the PIC begin to sell new hardware.

I don't gonna change and I'll gonna continue with my Pre 3 & his physical keyboard, but I know that is important new hardware to spread the word...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that thousands apps is nothing, without hardware to run...

Inside me, I really want that everything in this project work... but I have no delusions about change the status in general...

Best Regards...
    And the only way to accomplish what you're talking about is to get the hardware accelerated graphics issue taken care of.

You can get Open webOS on any device for which the kernel source is available (and unlockable bootloader) in under a day, but the UI feel is plain awful each and every time, since the Android graphics drivers don't have the provisions for webOS-style graphics acceleration and vice versa.

Until and unless we have the code to translate from one instruction set to another (or switch over to the Android graphics model entirely), Open webOS is practically dead as a hobbyist OS and as a readily-available OEM pre-installed option.

We can argue till we are all blue in the face, but this is the one and only reality, the stone around our necks, dragging us down and holding us back. HP and Palm-era webOS is thought of in the past tense, and many devs like Garrett have left with a provisional goodbye for that exact reason, that the only way forward is Open webOS, and until that gets off the ground they are sticking to other projects.

So we are not only losing time, "freshness", positive media exposure, but also manpower, the very thing that makes Homebrew a viable force in keeping webOS alive.

That said, i'm no longer talking about the issue of enriching OM with our hard earned dollars (and getting only a modest return for it). It's not about me, it's not about OpenMobile. Not anymore, that subject has been beaten to pulp and we all know each other's talking points by heart.

It's time to realize that no one is going to do the tedious work of reverse-engineering and/or rewritng display drivers for each an every device, and finally move forward. It's not going to be an easy project, but at least it's a way towards the future and not simply palliative care for a 'last year's device, which is what this thread is about.

If we build it, they will come... Or rather, come back.

P.S. If PIC's goal truly is to release a new device, then why are they sitting and waiting for Internals/Ports to quietly solve this issue for everyone? "Fishy" would be an understatement.
    This thread is about the PIC / OM Project.

It has the potential to be a first step in user retention by adding value to webOS. It may lead to further steps or be a dead end, but the company making the offer was formed to ultimately produce new hardware and promote webOS.

WebOS-ports MIGHT complete a fully functional port of Open webOS. They MIGHT unveil it tomorrow, but I doubt they will promise it before it's done. I believe that though the graphics problem may be the biggest stumbling block, it's not the only one. I'm therefore not expecting anything soon.

If this port arrives, I agree it has the potential to be a game-changer, but only because it could enable the real breakthrough: New hardware - be it a current Nexus type device or something specially built.

If anyone builds a device and asks HP if they can run webOS on it, the only two objections I can see HP having is that the device is rubbish or that they would want an exorbitant license fee. For webOS to rise from the ashes, an open source version is not required. We may prefer it as given recent history, the control open source would bring to the users is greater, but it's not necessary. I'd guess that the OS is the much smaller part of the problem of successfully bringing a new webOS device to market.

So until webOS-Ports makes an announcement, there is no generally usable port. They don't even want your money.
    The only likely candidate for new hardware anytime soon is LG. Don't hold your breath for that announcement.

PIC's big hurdle is funding hardware before the existing devices die or become irrelevant and the potential customers evaporate. This is their attempt to inject fresh relevance. They may be waiting on a port and prefer OSS, but I don't think they need it if they can get permission to tweak the existing closed source for whatever the new device might be. (they are a commercial organisation). They may even believe that developing the OS would a distraction from their hardware goal - given that 2.24 / 3.05 exists and LG and WebOS-ports are actively developing different forms of webOS. That's three potential options already. Why duplicate effort?

The only current offer on the table is being made by PIC. You can back it or not back it depending on your opinion, but you seem to be dismissing it in favour of an option that doesn't exist. What good does it do to state that resolving the graphics issue is what's really needed? It's an obvious point, but if WebOS-ports completes their project they will HAVE to tackle this issue and exhortations won't make it happen any faster.

Or are you working on the graphics driver?
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    WebOS-ports MIGHT complete a fully functional port of Open webOS. They MIGHT unveil it tomorrow, but I doubt they will promise it before it's done. I believe that though the graphics problem may be the biggest stumbling block, it's not the only one. I'm therefore not expecting anything soon.
    So until webOS-Ports makes an announcement, there is no generally usable port. They don't even want your money.
    I'm pretty sure that no such unveiling will happen during this PIC kickstarter campaign.

You are correct that graphics is not the only stumbling block, and it is not guaranteed that all known stumbling blocks have a viable solution for a fully functioning OpenWebOS port.

People should make up their own mind about whether to back this kickstarter or not, but the idea of an OpenWebOS port making the proposed PIC solution somehow obsolete or superfluous is not a consideration that one should take into account.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals