Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I would have thought that the webOS community would have jumped at such a proposition as the one being offered by this PIC KickStarter project and that a relatively small sum of $35,000 would have been pledged within a day or two at most. Therefore I am really surprised and actually saddened to see so much resistance in supporting this project. It is really sad to see that the support for webOS has reached such a state that this project cannot even garner the support of 700 people with a $50 commitment.

    The current KickStarter status is:
    323 Backers
    $15,529 pledged of $35,000 goal

    Come on guys, all we need is 390 more people to pledge $50 (average) to reach the targeted goal. For an outsider looking in on the webOS community, this project is an indicator of how much support webOS actually has left. So let's make this a thumping success.
    your assuming every webOS user out there has even heard of webosnations to even notice the kickstarter project, and has been mentioned previous, openmobiles history isnt exactly good enough that people would just throw money at them, plus their lack of vital information only reinforced that worry.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    sledge007, Remy X and johncc like this.
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    your assuming every webOS user out there has even heard of webosnations to even notice the kickstarter project, and has been mentioned previous, openmobiles history isnt exactly good enough that people would just throw money at them, plus their lack of vital information only reinforced that worry.
    But WebOS Nation has always been and still is the number one website/forum for webOS users. With 575,275 members and this does not even include the thousands of users who visit these forums without registering. Even now as I type this post, there are currently 1152 active users of which 1034 are browsing as guests. Also, although I understand the reservations with trusting Open Mobile, I too am wary of them. But this is not their project and I really see no reason to suspect the intentions of PIC, who are primarily made up of people from the webOS community. I think it ought to be safe to presume, that they must have at least satisfied themselves with 'ACL' before committing to this project. Regarding "their lack of vital information", the information may have been a little thin at the very beginning, but since then they have updated their KickStarter page several times to provide more information and I think they have been rather forthright and prompt in responding to the queries raised here too.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Jive Turkey likes this.
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    But WebOS Nation has always been and still is the number one website/forum for webOS users. With 575,275 members and this does not even include the thousands of users who visit these forums without registering. Even now as I type this post, there are currently 1152 active users of which 1034 are browsing as guests. Also, although I understand the reservations with trusting Open Mobile, I too am wary of them. But this is not their project and I really see no reason to suspect the intentions of PIC, who are primarily made up of people from the webOS community. I think it ought to be safe to presume, that they must have at least satisfied themselves with 'ACL' before committing to this project. Regarding "their lack of vital information", the information may have been a little thin at the very beginning, but since then they have updated their KickStarter page several times to provide more information and I think they have been rather forthright and prompt in responding to the queries raised here too.
    That it's a 2.3 environment is a deal-breaker for me. Tablet optimization started at 3.X, and 4.X is a huge improvement.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    RumoredNow likes this.
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    That it's a 2.3 environment is a deal-breaker for me. Tablet optimization started at 3.X, and 4.X is a huge improvement.
    Promise me you will not buy ACL when it is released.




    Just Kidding.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    But WebOS Nation has always been and still is the number one website/forum for webOS users.
    english speaking users yes, and then only users who are aware of the forums existance, as an example most of my family are heavy android users, i can tell you not one of them visits android central or any other tech site even tho they have had various issues with their numerous android phones over time.

    Had they frequented android central or the likes they may have learned all they needed to know and fixed their problems, yet they never did, we cant assume every user out there is aware of, and activly uses their OS's respective fan/user sites and forums.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    english speaking users yes, and then only users who are aware of the forums existance, as an example most of my family are heavy android users, i can tell you not one of them visits android central or any other tech site even tho they have had various issues with their numerous android phones over time.

    Had they frequented android central or the likes they may have learned all they needed to know and fixed their problems, yet they never did, we cant assume every user out there is aware of, and activly uses their OS's respective fan/user sites and forums.
    Maybe something for people from the Chinese community on this website and supportive of this Kickstarter to post this on one of the Chinese webOS sites. I understand that there is a reasonable sized Chinese webOS community which could also benefit from this project. Who picks this up if it has been done already. We need every little bit of support right now.

    Other non-english speaking communities are also welcome to do something similar in their country :-)

    Just my 2 cents.
    geekpeter likes this.
  7. #227  
    To be fair most android users don't even know they are using android , i 'd like to think mostof us webos users are a bit more clued up and visit forums like this to get useful info.
    Vistaus and ewl88 like this.
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    To be fair most android users don't even know they are using android , i 'd like to think mostof us webos users are a bit more clued up and visit forums like this to get useful info.
    2 mantra's that used to get thrown around in 1 of my old jobs

    1) never assume always check.
    2) assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

    tbh if theres clueless android users, then there will be clueless iphone people, clueless webOS people, etc. renater's idea above looks damned useful, just a case of IF theres people who can post the information on other sites of varying languages.

    Unfortunatly i only speak 2 languages, English & Bad English so that counts me as useless in that field.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  9. #229  
    There are no clueless iPhone people because iPhone = iPhone. And Palm/HP Pre * = also the same. With Android, there are tons of manufacturers.
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    There are no clueless iPhone people because iPhone = iPhone. And Palm/HP Pre * = also the same. With Android, there are tons of manufacturers.
    i meant with regards to users knowing of the existance of fan forums etc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I would have thought that the webOS community would have jumped at such a proposition as the one being offered by this PIC KickStarter project and that a relatively small sum of $35,000 would have been pledged within a day or two at most. Therefore I am really surprised and actually saddened to see so much resistance in supporting this project. It is really sad to see that the support for webOS has reached such a state that this project cannot even garner the support of 700 people with a $50 commitment.

    The current KickStarter status is:
    323 Backers
    $15,529 pledged of $35,000 goal

    Come on guys, all we need is 390 more people to pledge $50 (average) to reach the targeted goal. For an outsider looking in on the webOS community, this project is an indicator of how much support webOS actually has left. So let's make this a thumping success.
    I second that, I pledged $60, hell that not even the price of some console games, it is less than 40 (I'm in the UK) and I would get a lot more out of this than a game I play for a week or so.

    Barry
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    How small has our community gotten? - Based on the average pledge given up until now, the total number of pledges to reach the goal is 735 (total amount / (pledged amount / number of pledges) or: 35000/(14637/307) = 734.0985...). I wouldn't consider that unrealistic for a small community of our size.
    I don't know if webos internals succeeded raising more than $15K-$20K, even at the height of webOS when new devices were being released and Leo, unbeknownst to the community, was just getting ready to plunge a dagger into its heart.

    It may be better for Phoenix to at least receive $15K-$20K in advance of its efforts than to overshoot the capacity of the community's resources and have the kickstarter project not even get off the ground.

    What would it take for Phoenix to scale down its efforts to better match the community resources? Would the project take a month or two longer?
  13. #233  
    I believe you are correct, and that was in the heyday when there were a lot more active members, and with an organization that is completely transparent, and completely interactive with members. They also never requested a dime unless there was something tangible on the ground.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    ananimus likes this.
  14. #234  
    One of my problems that I have with Amazon Appstore, is it doesn't recognize any apps that I already have bought and paid for and are installed on my device... So hypothetically speaking, if I was to pick up one of those virtual credit cards, and jump through the hoops that for the last year, I haven't had to do at all, any paid apps that I have through Google Play that I wanted to install for ACL, I would have to repay for. At least this is the impression I am getting.

    I really don't miss the workarounds, and hoop jumping, and searching for solutions for hours.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    RumoredNow likes this.
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    One of my problems that I have with Amazon Appstore, is it doesn't recognize any apps that I already have bought and paid for and are installed on my device... So hypothetically speaking, if I was to pick up one of those virtual credit cards, and jump through the hoops that for the last year, I haven't had to do at all, any paid apps that I have through Google Play that I wanted to install for ACL, I would have to repay for. At least this is the impression I am getting.

    I really don't miss the workarounds, and hoop jumping, and searching for solutions for hours.
    amazon ties the apps you purchase to your amazon account. So as long as amazon will recognize the device, you can re download any apps you already bought as long as you log into amazon from that account.

    you can even manage this from your account settings on amazon--ie what apps you re download etc.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    amazon ties the apps you purchase to your amazon account. So as long as amazon will recognize the device, you can re download any apps you already bought as long as you log into amazon from that account.

    you can even manage this from your account settings on amazon--ie what apps you re download etc.
    It will recognize the apps I bought from Google Play, that's what you're saying?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  17. ewl88's Avatar
    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I don't know if webos internals succeeded raising more than $15K-$20K, even at the height of webOS when new devices were being released and Leo, unbeknownst to the community, was just getting ready to plunge a dagger into its heart.

    It may be better for Phoenix to at least receive $15K-$20K in advance of its efforts than to overshoot the capacity of the community's resources and have the kickstarter project not even get off the ground.

    What would it take for Phoenix to scale down its efforts to better match the community resources? Would the project take a month or two longer?
    I donated $10 to the PIC effort. Not that I really need ACL. And I don't need the little stuff like key chain, postcards. I haven't used my Android dualboot on my TP in a while since I have a 2nd tablet-ipad mini. But having a successful webos project might keep some options viable on Open webOS in the future. (Of course I donated to webOS internals at same time since they have delivered consistently over the webOS history) Kickstarter may be more visible than a webOS forum which is really for the die-hard fans.
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It will recognize the apps I bought from Google Play, that's what you're saying?
    No, sorry, it will recognize the apps you previously bought from amazon.

    edit: the nice thing about using the amazon store, unlike google play, is that you can then log out of it on your device and you will not be tracked by them (unless you have one of their devices, ie the kindle fire which routes all his web traffic first to the amazon servers).
  19. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    That it's a 2.3 environment is a deal-breaker for me. Tablet optimization started at 3.X, and 4.X is a huge improvement.
    today on the market are still about 40% of Android 2.33-2.37-devices, (mostly) no 3.x devices and 55% 4.x-devices.

    While you are correct that tablet-optimization was done mostly in 4.x, I still expect that most of the available apps are still working on 2.33. So I don't see a big point in this.

    What are the apps you are missing available for 4.x only ...
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    No, sorry, it will recognize the apps you previously bought from amazon.

    edit: the nice thing about using the amazon store, unlike google play, is that you can then log out of it on your device and you will not be tracked by them (unless you have one of their devices, ie the kindle fire which routes all his web traffic first to the amazon servers).
    I guess that's a comfort for some people, but I don't fall into the InfoWars Alex Jones paranoia camp. Unfortunate about the app situation, I can't see myself paying for any apps more than once.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    dignitary likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
    By SeiGraph in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10/09/2012, 12:23 PM
  2. Mobile Wallet Roll Out Starts With Small Change
    By ilovedessert in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/20/2011, 11:16 AM
  3. cannot find an app to open a pic??
    By visorhawk in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07/19/2010, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06/03/2010, 05:12 AM
  5. Side Kick 1. Unlock? T-mobile Only
    By SCP_DRUMS in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08/25/2006, 12:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions