Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4549499100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    I can't even get my 1.0.1 to install they emailed me and said that they hope they will have an updated version soon, and will also try to send me a workaround to get it to install before then.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your continued patience. We remain hard at work preparing a product that we hope will exceed your expectations and we cant wait to finally get it into your hands (we know you cant either)! As promised, please find our progress update below:

Weve knocked off 16 issues this week in the following areas:
    • App installation and removal (Improper webOS screen was being displayed after successful app uninstallation - fixed.)
    • App installation and removal (Improper webOS screen was being displayed after successful app uninstallation - fixed.)
    • ACL installation / uninstallation / upgrade processes (Ensuring future upgrades of ACL will be smooth.)
    • AppMall client operation (Various reliability fixes and improved error handling.)
    • Various app-specific bug fixes (Kindle login problem, YouTube audio/video synch issue, Netflix keyboard issue)

Were now down to single digits of open issues left to close, then a full QA regression test, and then well be ready to go!
    • Lost screen events when reactivating ACL-enabled app from background (inhibits scrolling)
    • Other cleanup issues

Thank you once again for your patience and feedback.
    Please check back next week for our next status update!

Best,
    Anita
    Thanks Anita, that's all good to know and reassuring - I (and probably "we") look forward to ongoing updates - and of course, the eventual release!
    AnitaOM likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    We’ve knocked off 16 issues this week in the following areas:
    Anita,

Thank you for your status update, but I believe there are a number of outstanding issues for which the resolution is still unknown. Could you please comment on the following:

• Will the next release of ACL still require Beta users to Doctor their TouchPads before attempting to install?
    • Will ACL uninstallation remove ALL of ACL from your TouchPad? If not, what will be left and why?
    • Will the installation and operation of ACL now properly leave the root partition (/) read-only?
    • You noted that App removal will now work. Does this mean that you will be able to remove an ACL App by:
      1. normal webOS press and hold on the app then press the X symbol; or
      2. normal webOS delete the app from Software Manager; or
      3. delete the App from ACL/Android Settings/Applications/Manage Applications?
    • How will a user uninstall ACL - by uninstalling the License Application? If so, will both methods of uninstalling a webOS application (#1 and #2 from above) work to uninstall ACL?
    • Will ACL installation with Preware restore the beta approach of providing status information during the long portions of the installation such as building the data partition?
    • Will the ACL Upgrade process allow one to install a new version of ACL without removing the previous version? Will the update process preserve the Android data partition or will a backup be required before updating?
    • Will the ACL Downloads app be fixed to support side-loading of apps by copying to the USB Downloads area or must you download only with an ACL web browser to use the ACL Downloads app?
    • Which of the Limitations and Known Issues from the ACL 1.0.1 Release Notes will be fixed?
      1. Hardware video decoding is not supported
      2. Apps can only be uninstalled via Android Settings/Applications/Manage Applications. (I believe you mentioned this is fixed)
      3. Camera is not supported.
      4. Center LED is not supported.
      5. Vibrator is not supported.
      6. Google services is not supported.
      7. Bluetooth is not supported.
      8. Google accounts are not supported.
      9. AdobeAir is not supported.
      10. Tilt does not function correctly in some games.
      11. When first launching ACL, the ACL installation app hangs after launch, and must be closed and relaunched to activate the license key.
      12. When some Optware packages are added to Touchpad with ACL running, ACL apps may not operate properly. (Note: I believe this is indeed fixed, but I think the community would like a confirmation)
    • Will the bug that sometimes results in bars at the top and bottom of ACL applications be fixed?
    • Will the Amazon App Store application be supported? If not fully supported, is it now known to work?
    • Will version 3.1.2 of Netflix released 1/18/14 work?
    • Will Firefox 27 scrolling and video playback be fixed?
    • Will TouchPad Go support be included or is that something for the community to support?
    • Will the Uberkernel be supported?
    • If the Uberkernel is supported, will ext4 filesystems be supported as recommend by Google for all version of Android from Gingerbread and beyond?
    • Will rooting of ACL be supported and permitted by OpenMobile - particularly for those Android applications that require rooting to operate?
    • Will it be possible to suppress the startup of ACL until the first ACL application is run to prevent ACL from consuming valuable webOS resources? Will it be possible to suspend ACL after the last ACL application is run? Is this something that should be addressed by the community and will OpenMobile permit this to be done?
    • Will GPL licensed community enhancements to ACL, such as TouchPad Go support, be permitted and possibly even embraced by OpenMobile?

I'm sure there are quite a few more questions that the rest of the community would like to see answered, but this is my initial list.

cuspie
    Last edited by cuspie; 02/07/2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add discuss about start/stop of ACL to preserve resources for webOS applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Warning: may contain inaccuracies! ;-)
    [Video] OpenMobile ACL Solution for webOSMobile Linux News
    i like this quote..

From MeeGo OpenMobile now supports Windows, Linux, Tizen, Ubuntu, Firefox OS and WebOS. Check out the Video of OpenMobile on WebOS:
    gotta love those facts.

also isnt it a bit weird some site other than a webOS one reporting on them when OM dont have any product apart from the webOS one which we currently cant aquire?

out of interest has anyone seen any other sites reprting on ACL progress on other platforms of late?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i like this quote..

gotta love those facts.

also isnt it a bit weird some site other than a webOS one reporting on them when OM dont have any product apart from the webOS one which we currently cant aquire?

out of interest has anyone seen any other sites reprting on ACL progress on other platforms of late?
    Don't waste your time mate.
    Some day some year some century they will release it for this platform too.
    I had not seen this one before.

OpenMobile | Enabling Android Apps on non-Android Platforms

-Koa-

Edit: Sifting the site, it seems that ACL will be available for other devices other than webOS at launch. Could this be the reason for the delay, the attempt to distribute to other platforms at the same time? I find the content of the above website very interesting.
    Last edited by KoaFeliciano; 02/11/2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Are you new here? You are post 2068, so it is mean to advise you to read this thread from the start.

ACL for webOS has already been released, then withdrawn about a day later. Start from around page 86(!) to read about this. Regarding other systems, OM's definition of 'available' has been er... non-traditional in the past. Though it's likely there is Alpha software that will run on pretty much anything (sort of), the many months of tweaking for the specific hardware of the TP and the fact that you can't currently buy anything... draw your own conclusions.

For a similar experience to reading this thread, I suggest this:
    http://www.dogetek.co/game/
    cbosdell and TJs11thPre like this.
    Regarding other systems, OM's definition of 'available' has been er... non-traditional.
    I believe what he's trying to say politely is, "often promised, never demonstrated, vaporware bull." The history of "bold" statements posted on the OMWW site is a bitter point of contention if you sift far enough back in this thread.

Regardless, here's to hoping they come through soon on this release!
    I agree with Preemptive.

To be honest i admire them.

They sell a software that doesn't exist as it has been ages in the market.

The can sell stones as gold easily.

And after a month of using ACL - yea i was lucky to download it - i can sure say that they released an ALPHA version as v1.0.1.

I wouldn't put my name on a product release like that.

To close, I can't forgive my self for being tricked like a newbie.
    Strange bedfellows: Microsoft could bring Android apps to Windows | The Verge

Surprising. If this article is correct that they will seek a third party provider, then I guess the race for that position starts now.

As retweeted by OM:
    Tizen's Armament for Battle with Android: Perhaps 'Hundreds of Thousands' of Android Apps | MIT Technology Review

Note the sources all appear to be from OM with no comment from Samsung. If Tizen runs better than Android (as this article suggests), that's one thing, but as we know, better doesn't make a winner. If it's all about the eco-system, what exactly will Tizen offer in terms of services? Google? MS? These questions also apply to webOS. We may ultimately judge it a success if we have an active port project on current hardware (a niche product), but for mainstream commercial success, it will need to match the offerings of the big players.

I remain hopeful, but sceptical of ACL and wonder how much difference it will make.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/13/2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Boudouris View Post
    I agree with Preemptive.

To be honest i admire them.

They sell a software that doesn't exist as it has been ages in the market.

The can sell stones as gold easily.

And after a month of using ACL - yea i was lucky to download it - i can sure say that they released an ALPHA version as v1.0.1.

I wouldn't put my name on a product release like that.

To close, I can't forgive my self for being tricked like a newbie.
    I was also lucky to get V1.0.1, use it everyday, yes it is alpha, yes I am rooted, yes I ripped it apart, broke their AppMall (removed it all together), broke their installer (made it much better), broke their GPL kernel modules (based on Rods method) and got it working on a Touchpad Go, Got Google Market installed and as the preferred market, there are tons of issues, when Google Market updates apps, sometimes their installer wipes the launchers app locations (save/restore launcher preferences is a life saver)...

Would I wipe it off, NO, although I agree it is alpha and does need a lot of work, I value having applications... I really am unhappy with Developers giving up on webOS, but also for HP/Palm giving up on webOS, but Developers are pushing a one trick pony...

Strange bedfellows: Microsoft could bring Android apps to Windows | The Verge

Surprising. If this article is correct that they will seek a third party provider, then I guess the race for that position starts now.

As retweeted by OM:
    Tizen€™s Armament for Battle with Android: Perhaps €œHundreds of Thousands€ of Android Apps | MIT Technology Review

Note the sources all appear to be from OM with no comment from Samsung. If Tizen runs better than Android (as this article suggests), that's one thing, but as we know, better doesn't make a winner. If it's all about the eco-system, what exactly will Tizen offer in terms of services? Google? MS? These questions also apply to webOS. We may ultimately judge it a success if we have an active port project on current hardware (a niche product), but for mainstream commercial success, it will need to match the offerings of the big players.

I remain hopeful, but sceptical of ACL and wonder how much difference it will make.
    As I said above Developers are pushing a one trick pony, they do not want to make an iOS app, a Blackberry app, a WP app, a webOS app, an Amazon app, only an Android app...

Developers are forcing this... this is not Microsoft, or HP/Palm, or Amazon, this is the Developers saying we are not going to put resources into anything but Android/iOS for now... well that forces the OEM to either make their own Apps (YouTube on WP), or give up HP/Palm...

Developers, yes you are the problem...

The OEM's need to come up with a standard app store (Android seems to be the winner for better/worse), and all devices need to build a ACL or some type of method to allow the standard app store apps to work on their device...

Microsoft, Apple, Google, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc... need to make their hardware work well with their OS, and leave the third party applications to this standard app store...

This happened on the TV's, there is a standard HDMI (for better or worse), I want to connect a device to my TV it uses some form of HDMI, LG is trying webOS for it's underlying OS, but HDMI is still how I connect my other devices... I look at third-party applications as other devices, there needs to be a standard, there needs to be one way... everyone thought that was HTML5... but some ACL seems to be the way it is going...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/13/2014 at 10:05 AM.
    If someone wants to run android apps on Windows he can use Bluestack and Genymotion.

He doesn't have to wait the unreliable OpenMobile to release something that i am sure it in ALPHA version for all platforms.

I am convinced they also have an alpha version for Amiga OS and they will release it soon as well to make your old Amiga run android apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    As I said above Developers are pushing a one trick pony, they do not want to make an iOS app, a Blackberry app, a WP app, a webOS app, an Amazon app, only an Android app...

Developers are forcing this... this is not Microsoft, or HP/Palm, or Amazon, this is the Developers saying we are not going to put resources into anything but Android/iOS for now... well that forces the OEM to either make their own Apps (YouTube on WP), or give up HP/Palm...

The OEM's need to come up with a standard app store (Android seems to be the winner for better/worse), and all devices need to build a ACL or some type of method to allow the standard app store apps to work on their device...

Microsoft, Apple, Google, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc... need to make their hardware work well with their OS, and leave the third party applications to this standard app store...
    I agree with your description of the problem, but I think it goes deeper. Companies want devs to develop for their platform because apps = success! Whatever you want, there's an app for that.

But developers have to eat. If Apple have...whatever, a MILLION apps, then the reality is that some will make loads of money, most will make nothing. If you also have to spend your resources making versions for multiple platforms, you could be increasing rather than cutting your losses. You have to aim at, and focus on the BIG markets to conserve your investment and increase your chance of profit. Actually, I get the impression that most code first for Apple as that's where the real money is. Android gets a version due to the bigger user base. This consolidation creates an increasingly large hurdle for any new entrants to the mobile market.

It used to be the case that computer programs cost actual proper money. Although I'm obviously a fan of OSS, it's crowd-sourced nature means that any individual is able to add a feature to an existing project or put out a small hobby application for free without the significant time & money that 'from scratch' requires. This is also incentivised because a gift doesn't require quality control, consumer rights, a support team or lawyers! ;-)

So the problem is the freemium model, which is also why advertising and in-app payments are controversial. No one is paying the price of a cup of coffee for an app. Simple economics dictate the developer's choice. Every developer who stil supports webOS is either a hobbyist* or is working for LG! ;-) *(webOS hobbyist - a dev may be making a good living from another platform)

Strangely, the only hobbyist developers I can think of who seem to aspire to more and seem to have a plan are... PIC. It is to be hoped that the Ports team and in fact every other developer supporting webOS can see it through to be successful enough that they can make a living from it if they wish.

Economics aside, the technical problem is that the developer has a choice. The Cross-platform/web app approach is fine to connect to an internet service or display some information with simple graphics. If you are making something graphically or otherwise computationally intensive, you want to get closer to the hardware, so at that point, you either code for the dominant platform and use compatibility software or port it yourself to other systems. It can run well on Android, okayish on the others or you can spend time and money making it good everywhere - including platforms where the profit won't justify the investment - an unlikely choice.

On the plus side, if the future of a mobile OS is to be a fancy web-browser, then the competition may become about performance and UI - much as the competion between browsers is now - how fast does it display, what does it score on the HTML5 acid test? Having been built on this paradigmn, webOS may still have a chance to compete while others re-engineer - especially if LG have been optimising the underlying system. Apps availability may cease to be an issue and projects like Enyo & ACL may contribute to a levelling of the playing field. Then it's about performance, UI and even form factor.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/13/2014 at 03:46 PM.
    DocJones likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I was also lucky to get V1.0.1, use it everyday, yes it is alpha, yes I am rooted, yes I ripped it apart, broke their AppMall (removed it all together), broke their installer (made it much better), broke their GPL kernel modules (based on Rods method) and got it working on a Touchpad Go, Got Google Market installed and as the preferred market, there are tons of issues, when Google Market updates apps, sometimes their installer wipes the launchers app locations (save/restore launcher preferences is a life saver)...

Would I wipe it off, NO, although I agree it is alpha and does need a lot of work, I value having applications... I really am unhappy with Developers giving up on webOS, but also for HP/Palm giving up on webOS, but Developers are pushing a one trick pony...

This happened on the TV's, there is a standard HDMI (for better or worse), I want to connect a device to my TV it uses some form of HDMI, LG is trying webOS for it's underlying OS, but HDMI is still how I connect my other devices... I look at third-party applications as other devices, there needs to be a standard, there needs to be one way... everyone thought that was HTML5... but some ACL seems to be the way it is going...
    I didn't say i will wipe it off.

All i am saying is that this thing cost me $30 with a promise of having a final version in 8 weeks and if they keep up that way it will take more than 8 months.

If they were sincere from start i wouldn't talk, but instead the told us lies to fund the project, then they used some GPL code and now they are rewriting parts of it, and the thing that makes me furious is their silly statements.

I asked them how to solve my license problem and they told me that they fixed it and WHEN they will release it it will be ok. WHEN they release it.

I am not using the proper words that i am feeling for OpenMobile and Phoenix because my comment will be blocked.

They show no respect at all to people that backed their project.

Of course a normal question would be :
    " They didn't respect cuspie's $7500 donation and work, you expect to respect your $30 donation?"
    OpenMobile is OpenMobile... Can't say anymore then that...

We all knew going into this that PIC did not own the code nor the dates, just pushed for a release...

I am proud to have backed the Kickstarter, I would back another for webOS...

I have used ACL since it was beta, now to released V1.0.1 (which I agree is worse then the beta, but better then the beta in other ways), ACL is a dream... others got CM7 working on Veer/Pre3 (as an app), even some got it working on Touchpad before OpenMobile's ACL... (Choop's build)...

We all know that most Developers for one reason or another decided to ignore their apps and stop developing them and will still charge for a broken app and will still get paid by HP for said broken app and do nothing about it...

Besides a select few the only way for us to see the light of day is currently with ACL from OpenMobile pushed by PIC...

I am glad to have this option, I will wait until OpenMobile decides they are ready and PIC can release it to the kickstarters, but until then anything that either say is vapor until the download/install happens... I have ignored their in the next coming months (repeat of HP/Palm)...
    Just got an email from PIC announcing ACL being (again) available. I'm downloading com.openmobileww.acl_1.2.0_armv7.ipk now. We'll see how this goes.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Just got an email from PIC announcing ACL being (again) available. I'm downloading com.openmobileww.acl_1.2.0_armv7.ipk now. We'll see how this goes.
    I got my email too-they say to doctor in order to install a new version!?! Maybe I will stick with the original proper release, I don't have time to rebuild my TouchPad, especially with AppTuckerbox not working.....
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Proximity likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I got my email too-they say to doctor in order to install a new version!?! Maybe I will stick with the original proper release, I don't have time to rebuild my TouchPad, especially with AppTuckerbox not working.....
    I'm wondering how necessary it is. I'll try installing it but if I run into any issues I'll just remove ACL. It'd be nice but not worth that much hassle.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)