Page 100 of 105 FirstFirst ... 50 909596979899100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    What about this:

OpenMobile | Enabling Android Apps on non-Android Platforms

I can see the page source, but nothing actually dispays. Is it just me?

I get something displayed on the phone, but nothing useful.
    Working for me...can even pre-order with discount (but I am a backer already with a license-key) or call them directly...should I? :-(

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk 2
    Cuspie, where are you? Help us out here. ACL is out...sorta...what's the plan? Brandon at PIC is even in the dark. The waters are too calm.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Cuspie, where are you? Help us out here. ACL is out...sorta...what's the plan? Brandon at PIC is even in the dark. The waters are too calm.
    I would advise cuspie against releasing something which messes with the official ACL files while there is still an outstanding claim of GPL infringement against OM and PIC.

You don't want to muddy the waters here, and perhaps invite a counter claim (whether valid or not). Cuspie is an individual, not a company with investment funds and lawyers to spend such funds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Oh yikes. I don't want Cuspie to release anything but a status update! I think a lot of folks are just looking for information. I've never read a thread with more "whys" and "whens" and "wheres" than this one. Nothing from PIC, nothing from OM, but hopefully someone in this community has a contact that can get an answer or two soon.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I've never read a thread with more "whys" and "whens" and "wheres" than this one.
    100 freakin' pages of 'em!

* toots horn, throws confetti *

RumoredNow and cuspie like this.
    Oh yikes. I don't want Cuspie to release anything but a status update! I think a lot of folks are just looking for information. I've never read a thread with more "whys" and "whens" and "wheres" than this one. Nothing from PIC, nothing from OM, but hopefully someone in this community has a contact that can get an answer or two soon.
    I don't expect cuspie to have received any information from OM or PIC. These are two companies dealing with a GPL infringement claim. My expectation of there response would be to remove the infringing item from distribution (which they have done) and then go completely dark until they have a replacement release which is not infringing. I would not expect them to be in contact with the person who's copyright they are allegedly infringing.

Companies usually deal with GPL claims in a very different way to which most open source developers would expect.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    RumoredNow likes this.
    After working relatively fine for 4 week (although I used quiet few), ACL crushes the system and almost makes it frozen in starting state when I try to open the ES explorer.

That's enough for me. I will remove all apps and remove ACL...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    It's nice that you are keeping the faith - many are, alongside of you. For all who invested in this project I hope it does pay dividends in the form of a stable product.

There is a lot on the line for OMWW and PIC with this product. For OMWW it would be proof that they can move beyond the "concept" stage and actually produce some working software. For PIC it would show that they are serious enough to move out of the "basement developer" arena.

The link you are drawing between OMWW and LG is tenuous at best, I've seen no evidence they are partnering. Do you know something the rest of us do not?

We all hope for this. I'm very pleased to see the great press LG's webOS TV is getting.

We all hope for this. However, LG is being very conservative in announcing what is next for webOS. From what I've seen, they will be sticking to the home and connected appliances for the next gen. Phones and tablets appear to be some ways down the road as they build out the branding for webOS and put their own touches on the operating system.

LG is really pushing HTML5 and Enyo2 for development of Apps for webOS. They are espousing an openness for the "internet of things" and not retreating to the idea that Google Play is the be all - end all of App development. LG has announced a few new partnerships in the last couple of months including the AllJoin Alliance being built by Qualcomm and Cisco's "Internet of Everything" initiative. OpenMobileWorldWide doesn't appear anywhere in the partnerships lists with LG that I can find. Even if LG kept such a partnership quiet, do you really believe OMWW could refrain from announcing it? Look how loudly they promote themselves and every project they claim to be working on.

Let's look at OMWW's partner list. They got on the Tizen bandwagon very early and have been promoting their work with Tizen quite heavily ever since. Tizen is the child of Samsung and Intel. Samsung is one of the chief competitors of LG and Intel is one of the chief competitors of Qualcomm (a partner of LG) so there is definitely a conflict and/or some antagonism there.

And what of the inclusion of Google Play for webOS TV? It doesn't yield as much as you'd think. I have Google TV via a set top box (a Sony NSZ-GS7 - one of the most press and consumer review favored G-TV set tops) and I can tell you there is an amazingly small amount of Apps written for or marked as compatible with Google TV. You end up trying to sideload Apps and it's a crap shoot every time. Many simply won't load and of those that do, they don't often function properly or fully. This is not a consumer friendly approach. I think LG would be wise to steer clear of it. In fact they have already announced they are dropping Google TV from their production. Why, then, would they rush back into that crumbling App and support arena?

And how is OMWW faring with their main partnership? The Tizen phone has been often delayed: Report: Samsung's Tizen phones to launch as soon as March How much of that is due to ACL not meeting the standard Uncle Sammy wants? I'd wager quite a bit of it. The Tizen release is what OMWW's reputation will ride on. Not the ACL for TouchPad project. It's the most real and long lasting thing OMWW ever got involved with. Nothing ever happened with ACL for Windows or Linux. Every other initiative OMWW has started for ACL has been with an end-of-life OS. Except Tizen. If OMWW is to have a business they must succeed with Tizen and Samsung.

The smart thing would be for LG to forge their own way and keep as much of the fate of webOS under their control as they can. Indications are that is exactly what they are doing. There is an App store built in to the TV already.

Guinea pigs? Maybe. A sideshow distracting OMWW from sweating over Tizen? Definitely. A quick money grab? You be the judge... I'll agree that OpenMobileWorldWide is not focused on TouchPad users. Their actions and attitudes have made that abundantly clear.

I'll agree that LG isn't saying a lot about their R&D. That's wise given how many competitive market segments they are in. I'll disagree with you about phones/tablets being next. Look for a refrigerator first, or an oven, or a washer/dryer combo - likely all of those will come before a phone or tablet.

If we are lucky, we might see a leaked port of webOS to the end-of-shelf-life Nexus 4 as a way of gauging developer and community support. That may include some form of home written solution, combined with GAPPS, but I doubt even that. Some fork based on open source code - not 3rd party proprietary code. Definitely not ACL. Again, LG is pushing HTML5 and Enyo2. Particularly Enyo2 for its abilities to scale easily between screen sizes. Give LG time to build an ecosystem for webOS before you push them into the same old path others are stumbling down. If LG wants to build a proprietary system, ACL can never play a part in that vision. Dependence on Google Play is the route Samsung is taking with Tizen. I believe LG truly wants to go their own route with webOS from top to bottom.

Are you sure you haven't been abandoned already? I think OMWW has been busy working on ACL for Tizen. They will get around to straightening out the mess they made with cuspie's code eventually (in their own sweet time) and then will dump whatever they have on the servers for download and that will be it. No updates, no bug fixes, little to no support. They'll simply keep on doing whatever it is that they have been doing since 2010. Talking a lot of smack the whole time.

Again: I fail to see where the connection between LG and OMWW lies. Can you cite anything concrete in favor of such a thing?
    I have absolutely nothing to connect the two. I am basing my comments on common business sense (and Never Never Land hopes). If they were wise, they would at least consider doing something with the LG WebOS. If they don't, then they are basically commiting suicide unless they plan on making apps for other phones and tablets. That leaves Android and Apple out of the picture.

LG is not a slouch company. They may not be announcing anything but I am fairly certain they already have phones and tablets in the pipeline. Refrigerators and such may come first, true. But my comment simply stated that they are more than likely working on phones and tablets even as i write this.

I found your comment regarding LG keeping closed mouthed but that OpenMobile will blab it all out very funny. You have a point there.

As to the rest, I pretty much agree with you.

As I stated, my comments were an "educated guess". I am simply looking at the most logical course of action for OpenMobile. Basically, cover all your basis. Then again, I said "logical" and right now that word seems to be missing from their lexicon.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speter0001 View Post
    After working relatively fine for 4 week (although I used quiet few), ACL crushes the system and almost makes it frozen in starting state when I try to open the ES explorer.

That's enough for me. I will remove all apps and remove ACL...

I hate to say this again, but the android build 4.3.2 from evervolv work quite well. Having access to chrome is worth it. One thing I did notice is an occasional reboot but only when over clocked to 1.8 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I hate to say this again, but the android build 4.3.2 from evervolv work quite well. Having access to chrome is worth it. One thing I did notice is an occasional reboot but only when over clocked to 1.8 GHz
    weve had access to multiple fully working android builds for ages, this is nothing new, its also not the solution that was intended or should be argued here (its been argued for years already), ppl only wanted ACL to be able to run android apps without having to leave webOS which is supposed to be the whole point of ACL.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    broncot likes this.
    I'm using 4.2.2 (jenkins version) but there hasn't been an update in ages. Is the 4.3.2 version worth moving up to?
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    weve had access to multiple fully working android builds for ages, this is nothing new, its also not the solution that was intended or should be argued here (its been argued for years already), ppl only wanted ACL to be able to run android apps without having to leave webOS which is supposed to be the whole point of ACL.
    That's what I was going for with ACL. I wanted to keep it in webOS and only use the apps I needed. It unfortunately did not work out.

For me, it's the only viable option at this time. I love webOS, but if I can't go to me banks and other sights it renders the tablet useless. It was not the case six months ago, but now it is worsening ever day.

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm using 4.2.2 (jenkins version) but there hasn't been an update in ages. Is the 4.3.2 version worth moving up to?
    I was using CM 9 for ever and tried milaq 10.1, 10.2,11, and evervolv 10.2. I never tried jenkinds builds. I just found the evervolv more comfortable to use than milaq's . I may try another build but it's working fine for me. When 4.4 with kernal 3.6 is stable, I'll probably switch to that (unless Motorola does a moto X for tablets)

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/14/2014 at 09:32 PM.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    The HP App Catalog still will not update apps, but I can install apps via preware and update them as well.

At least this is a work around.

Thanks.
    Your TouchPad root certificate expired this summer. Check out this video to fix it:

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevertells View Post
    Your TouchPad root certificate expired this summer. Check out this video to fix it:

I already fixed it. Thanks for the response though.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Just wanted to pass along that at the beginning of the month I filed a dispute with Paypal. They found in my favor and refunded my money.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Sorry, I was one who downloaded the release version before being pulled, associated my License Key, some issues that are still with this release.... Got Google Market and Rooted fine...

1) Apps in Google Market auto updated, when they did they wiped out the Launcher default location of all existing apps (Android and webOS), thanks webOS Internals for Save/Restore it restored the Launcher preferences and it was back to normal.
    2) Watching Netflix, about half way thru the movie, I paused the movie, the Touchpad rebooted looking at the messages the ACL services was the last entry in the log.

Other then these two issues, I have found ACL (ANDROID 2.x) for webOS works well enough to continue using it. I hope they fix their install issues and then release their source code for the kernel drivers which are also GPL.
    Some things I found annoying:

Minor issues:
    Sometimes, ACL-android apps just close in the middle of doing something.
    Tapping a link in the preinstalled browser sometimes opens a new browser card with the same page, instead of just going to the linked page.

Major issue:
    Sometimes, one or the other account suddenly "forgets" it's credentials, when trying to download mails. No problem, the Touchpad always did that now or then. In former times, I just went to the account settings right out of the Touchpad's mail app. I retyped the password and everything was fine again.
    Since ACL, this don't work anymore. I still can start the account-settings page out of the mail program. But when I reenter the password and try to reconnect to the account, I only get the "manual settings" page and when entering the password there, it won't be accepted.
    Strangely enough, if I DON'T enter the account settings via Touchpad's mail app but instead start it directly from the launcher, it works allright.

Other than these strange behaviours, ACL works ok, albeit a bit laggy now and then.

That said: I have Uberkernel running and therefore expected problems anyway, so I am surprised in a positive way.

Sad, that OM/PIC don't get their legal probs solved. They really have a piece of software, that is IMHO usable (could be better, but is good enough).
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I've been combing the web...

I see no mention of OpenMobileWorldWide at CES 2014. Has the tech press learned to just walk on past their booth without stopping???

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I don't really desperately want some specific android apps on my tablet, so I would use webOS for a while. If the IM software I used (LINE : Free Calls & Messages) works on ACL, I may give it one more try. However, I can't log in successfully for some network issues, so I just don't want to bother about the stability.

I do want to install the android on the Touchpad that I give my parents, and still look for a good build version.