Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    I have less than 1 GB of memory left in my device. When ever I turn it on, the low memory warning comes up with a different number. The difference could be in excess of 50-80 mb. Any one else facing this?
    You should probably clear some things out.

Just like your computer, the TouchPad will use it's disk space for temporary caching of data, and things like that.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Pretty much the same as eblade mentions... clear some stuff up... there is is NO system/drive that should be filled to it's full capacity, they all always need some buffer for temp files and such... I go with the 10% rule... so 1.6GB for the 16GB, and 3.2 for the 32GB.

NOTE: this is for single drive units where the OS and the files on on the same drive

But even as secondary drives, you need to be reasonable: I know someone that kept filling his hard drives (1 and 2 TB drives) to the max, leave barely a few MB that he couldn't fill.

E-v-e-r-y one of those drives either gave him trouble or flat out crashed on him. He managed to salvage a few by deleting small files bit by bit until he had proper space to maneuver. For such drives, I wouldn't have less than 50GB spare space.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Pretty much the same as eblade mentions... clear some stuff up... there is is NO system/drive that should be filled to it's full capacity, they all always need some buffer for temp files and such... I go with the 10% rule... so 1.6GB for the 16GB, and 3.2 for the 32GB.

NOTE: this is for single drive units where the OS and the files on on the same drive

But even as secondary drives, you need to be reasonable: I know someone that kept filling his hard drives (1 and 2 TB drives) to the max, leave barely a few MB that he couldn't fill.

E-v-e-r-y one of those drives either gave him trouble or flat out crashed on him. He managed to salvage a few by deleting small files bit by bit until he had proper space to maneuver. For such drives, I wouldn't have less than 50GB spare space.
    HA, I beat up on my 1TB HTPC drive (media and backup drive nearly full currently) and my Pre3 (.1 GB free so many partially listened to podcasts and I need to clean out my picture/video folder (over 1000 pictures in there weighing in at like 2 gigs)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your replies. I thought caching wouldn't involve so many MBs of data? :P
    Well, I think the webbrowser defaults to having a 100MB cache .. somewhere around there.. so that could really fluctuate in size
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I have crashed webOS with too many tabs open in browser lol