Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi All

I'll just start by stating that i can't see a thread that exactly what I'm experiencing. Anyway, here goes....

I was in the process of trying to upgrade my Touchpad from Cyanogen 9 to JellyBean. Got to the point where i though i'd removed everything i needed to to start the installation. I plugged my Touchpad into my PC, so the removable storage...... and reformatted it.

Now ever since that, when I attempt to start up my Touchpad i get the HP symbol on the screen, and nothing else. when I've tried to run the WebDoctor I get the message saying that the Touchpad does not 25% charge. When I've attempted to charge it for hours (and days) at a time I get the same message. I am using the official charger, and the official mains connector, and it is housed / clicked into place properly.

Following advice on the internet I then allowed the battery to drain over a number of weeks until the power was completely exhausted. I then charged the battery again, using the supplied charger and cable for 24 hours (the HP logo came on and stayed on).

I've now tried to run the WebDoctor again but it's still complaining about the 25% charge.

anyone any ideas, as this is my wife's tablet, and to say she's not happy is an understatement!

Are you trying to doctor the touchpad with it in recovery mode (power and vol up)? Are you running the doctor from the cli? So we can get an output of any errors it may be throwing?
    ~*~

Also:

""..Got to the point where I thought I'd removed everything I needed to, to start the installation. I plugged my Touchpad into my PC, so the removable storage...... and reformatted it...""

What/how much did you actually remove - and how? Can you remember?
    The storage isn't actually 'removable storage'.. but both webOS and CM9/10 share much of the same permanent 'storage' space.
    HOW did you 'reformat it' after plugging into the PC - By using the PC right-click command to 'Format' drives?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    ~*~

Also:

""..Got to the point where I thought I'd removed everything I needed to, to start the installation. I plugged my Touchpad into my PC, so the removable storage...... and reformatted it...""

What/how much did you actually remove - and how? Can you remember?
    The storage isn't actually 'removable storage'.. but both webOS and CM9/10 share much of the same permanent 'storage' space.
    HOW did you 'reformat it' after plugging into the PC - By using the PC right-click command to 'Format' drives?

Yep. My PC saw it as a removable storage device, and wanting the cleanest install possible i reformatted the drive.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Are you trying to doctor the touchpad with it in recovery mode (power and vol up)? Are you running the doctor from the cli? So we can get an output of any errors it may be throwing?
    Hi, and thanks for posting.

Im running the doctor, but no idea what you mean by cli? Ive installed the doctor application from the HP website onto my laptop. Run the doctor, fired up the touchpad in "normal" mode but it never detects it. Restarted the doctor and restarted the touchpad in USB mode, and the doctor detects the touchpad but gives me a message about it having insufficient charge to continue. The touchpad had had its battery completely drained for 6 weeks, and then fully charged over 48 hours using the original supplied cable and plug.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Si 1969 View Post

Im running the doctor, but no idea what you mean by cli? Ive installed the doctor application from the HP website onto my laptop. Run the doctor, fired up the touchpad in "normal" mode but it never detects it. Restarted the doctor and restarted the touchpad in USB mode, and the doctor detects the touchpad but gives me a message about it having insufficient charge to continue. The touchpad had had its battery completely drained for 6 weeks, and then fully charged over 48 hours using the original supplied cable and plug.
    ....so can anyone give me any support on this?

My Touchpad is still very much bricked and I've no idea whatsoever as to how to get it working again???

By CLI, creepingmee was referring to command line interface. This will allow you to see any errors that occur while the doctor is running.

If you're running Windows, it will be something like this:

1. Open cmd.exe (if you are on Win 7/8/Vista make sure to open it with admin privileges - Type cmd @ the start menu, right click on cmd.exe and choose "run as administrator."
    2. At the prompt, type and execute: cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin"
    3. After the directory change, type and execute (replace <full path to doctor-file> with the doctor's actual path) : java -jar <full path to doctor-file>

Let me know if you are running OSX or Linux and I can give you specific information about running the doctor on those platforms.

For more info, see: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Remy X and creepingmee like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    By CLI, creepingmee was referring to command line interface. This will allow you to see any errors that occur while the doctor is running.

If you're running Windows, it will be something like this:

1. Open cmd.exe (if you are on Win 7/8/Vista make sure to open it with admin privileges - Type cmd @ the start menu, right click on cmd.exe and choose "run as administrator."
    2. At the prompt, type and execute: cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin"
    3. After the directory change, type and execute (replace <full path to doctor-file> with the doctor's actual path) : java -jar <full path to doctor-file>

Let me know if you are running OSX or Linux and I can give you specific information about running the doctor on those platforms.

For more info, see: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Okay, charged the Touchpad via the mains cable for a couple of days.
    Downloaded the latest version of WebOS doctor and Java.
    Put my Touchpad into USB mode (it was stuck on the HP logo) and plugged it into my laptop.
    Laptop searches for Palm drivers. Windows 7 does NOT install drivers successfully.
    Ran the WebOS Doctor. Installs Novacomd drivers.
    Battery charging bar appears, reporting 0% (21:10 hours). Next button is currently disabled. The animated indicator bar stops moving.......
    Appears as though the WebOS Doctor has frozen, but I'll give it a while even though it's been 5 minutes with no progress on the charging indicator whatsoever (still reporting 0%).

Ok, given it 10 minutes and no progress whatsoever.

Attempted to follow your guide to get the CLI data, and although I can navigate my way into the Java directory in CMD, I cannot find any path for the WebOS Doctor. I've searched in every entry in my Program Files, but can't locate it. The shortcut path of the icon is "C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://downloads.help.palm.com/webosdoctor/rom/touchpad/p305rod01122012/wd305wifi/webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jnlp "C:\Users\Simon\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\15\f6f0c4f-3e744", but if I replace your text with that path it doesn't work (cannot find the file specified).

As per your link, I looked at the guide and stopped the Palm Novacomd service and restarted it. Killed WebOS and ran it again. It's now continuing to charge the Touchpad.....
  9.    #9  
    Tried 3 times, including stopping / starting Novacomd service and a full laptop reboot. Always sticks at 12%.

Attempted to follow another thread on here but I can't manage to run the WebOS Doctor via CMD line "java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar" as it's not a recognised command.

Any ideas?
    Tried 3 times, including stopping / starting Novacomd service and a full laptop reboot. Always sticks at 12%.

Attempted to follow another thread on here but I can't manage to run the WebOS Doctor via CMD line "java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar" as it's not a recognised command.

Any ideas?
    Try replacing webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar with the full path to the doctor.

I.E if you have a copy of the doctor located in the root of your C drive:

Code:
    java.exe -jar C:\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar
    If you have it located in your downloads directory, it would be something like this:

Code:
    java.exe -jar C:\Users\Username\Downloads\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar
    Edit: Just to clarify, you do have a full Jar file downloaded on your system, right? The bit about the JNLP shorcut confused me. Do you have a 250 MB+ file called webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar on your system, like this? (Ignore the exact file size in my image, I simply renamed another doctor for demonstration purposes.)

Also, you might consider using a newer version of the Touchpad Doctor, 3.0.5 is available.
    For download details, see: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/17/2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Remy X likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Try replacing webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar with the full path to the doctor.

I.E if you have a copy of the doctor located in the root of your C drive:

Code:
    java.exe -jar C:\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar
    If you have it located in your downloads directory, it would be something like this:

Code:
    java.exe -jar C:\Users\Username\Downloads\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar
    Edit: Just to clarify, you do have a full Jar file downloaded on your system, right? The bit about the JNLP shorcut confused me. Do you have a 250 MB+ file called webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar on your system, like this? (Ignore the exact file size in my image, I simply renamed another doctor for demonstration purposes.)

Also, you might consider using a newer version of the Touchpad Doctor, 3.0.5 is available.
    For download details, see: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Hi, and thanks for the continued support.

I cannot find a webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar file anywhere on my laptop.

The method I used was going to the HP support site, signing in, confirming Java install, then clicking on the "webOS® Doctor™ for HP® Touchpad for wifi. Build wifi.88.86, webOS 3.0.5" download button. That has then "installed" HP webOS Doctor build 88.86 3.0.5 on my laptop.

However it's not created any entry in my Program Files folder.

What I've now done is follow your link WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and downloaded v3.0.5. I've then tried searching for the file "webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar" but it still doesn't exist on my laptop.
    If you download 3.0.5 then you should search for that file
    Hi, and thanks for the continued support.

I cannot find a webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar file anywhere on my laptop.

The method I used was going to the HP support site, signing in, confirming Java install, then clicking on the "webOS® Doctor™ for HP® Touchpad for wifi. Build wifi.88.86, webOS 3.0.5" download button. That has then "installed" HP webOS Doctor build 88.86 3.0.5 on my laptop.

However it's not created any entry in my Program Files folder.

What I've now done is follow your link WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and downloaded v3.0.5. I've then tried searching for the file "webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar" but it still doesn't exist on my laptop.
    As Horzel said, since you are dealing with 3.0.5, the file should be called: webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar.

Edit: just downloaded that particular doctor, and I can tell you that a complete webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar should be 222 MB The MD5 digest is 953a902b1fa931e640a0f29adc2d5477 and the SHA-1 digest is e62e9bc9c3ff6364d7bd7e95ce181fb0728bed14.
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/18/2013 at 08:24 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, clearly i'm doing something very wrong here, but no idea so I'll go through a very detailed step by step.

From the main HP website, I'm selecting the Touchpad device, signing into my account, and then clicking on the button Device Options. This opens a separate window which asks me to check that I have Java installed, which I have - 1.7.0_21. The only options I have are to download Java or continue, so I select continue.

I'm then taken to a screen webOS® Doctor™ for HP® Touchpad for wifi. Build wifi.88.86, webOS 3.0.5 which gives me a download WebOS Doctor button and astep by step guide on using the WebOS doctor. I select download.

It immediately launches Java, and then launches another window indicating that it is downloading the application (HP WebOS(R) Docotor(tm) Build 88.86 / http://.../webosdoctor305hstnwifi.jnlp), and a progress bar is slowly filling up. There are no options to select to save this download anywhere.

When the progress bar reaches 100% it immediately launches the webOS Docotor application. Before even closing down the application I do a complete search of my C: drive for the file webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar, which does not return any results. I select the Show Hidden Files option on windows explorer and such again, with no such file found.
  15.    #15  
    Just for completeness, there are no HP programs installed whatsoever in my Add / Remove programs, and no HP folder within my C:\program files.

I'm running Java 7 update 21, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit.

There is now a Java desktop shortcut called HP webOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build 88.86, webOS 3.0.5 which has a target of C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://downloads.help.palm.com/webosdoctor/rom/touchpad/p305rod01122012/wd305wifi/webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jnlp "C:\Users\Simon\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\15\f6f0c4f-707eb
    If you download your Doctor via the link on WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals , you'll have the actual Doctor and not a shortcut. Then you should be able to run it via command line.

When you go the the HP site and do what you did, the file gets downloaded to cache, and you kind of lose it. When you download the same Doctor off the same server via the Internals link, you get to keep the file
    bradmeister1 likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Okay, downloaded the full 3.05 webOS and now have it saved to my desktop. however, this is a zip folder (222mb), and not a .jar file.

Even when unzipped at 224mb there is no .jar file within the folder structure.
    Okay, downloaded the full 3.05 webOS and now have it saved to my desktop. however, this is a zip folder (222mb), and not a .jar file.

zip? Really?

JAR stands for JavaArchive, so it behaves in a similar way to other archive formats (.zip, .rar), but executable .jar files are run by the Java virtual machine, and do more than just store files.

My guess is that you have a file compression app (like WinRAR) set as the default file opener for .jar

Now, just try placing the 222mb Doctor file in your C:\ drive and running the command "java.exe -jar C:\x.jar", where x.jar is the filename of the file you downloaded. It should work...

There is a known issue with certain browsers changing the extension to .zip. If the extension, is in fact .zip, you can just change the extension back to .jar, and it should work. Alternatively, if you run it from the command line, the extension is irrelevant. Just run the .zip with the command we suggested:

Code:
    java.exe -jar C:\Users\Username\Desktop\webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.zip

If that doesn't work, try to re-download the file, from another browser.

Edit: if you go the renaming extension route, and run into trouble, take a look at these links:

(applicable to Windows 7, 8, and Vista)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ame-extensions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/21/2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Ok - dumped my laptop and tried downloading the 3.05 file on my server. It works! Therefore must have been a file association issue, or the fact that i was using IE before, and now downloading the file via Chrome.

Anyway, running the Java.exe in cmd using admin permissions. Not enough battery charge!!!

Charging Touchpad as I type, and will continue on this mission later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast