webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad being awkward
Touchpad being awkward

Old 04/21/2013, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

OK. My TP decided firstly to do nothing unless I restarted on a daily basis. Then it briefly stopped that, in favour of a restart every other day or so. It then lost my pictures during a restart ( nothing too drastic lost, a bit of sentimental stuff) so I tried to pull them out of a backup.
The backup message then froze, "preparing" and never gets going. I tried checking accounts.
Accounts freezes "searching for accounts"
Apps - nothing.
I contacted HP, who led me into webOS Doctor via Java etc, which should have taken "15 minutes to an hour".
TP was connected as instructed for most of morning with no messages, so I called them, and once they realise I'm out of warranty, got waved a fond farewell!
I lost the pad for a day, or two, then this morning put it on charge, and strangely after nothing for 2 days, after avfew minutes the charger symbol came on. Presuming it not to be as dead as I originally thought, I waited a couple of hours, pressed the on button/launcher and up comes the screen with the symbols from internet to arrow.
Still no photos, can't get apps or accounts. I was able to search the internet from the "earth symbol", but now can only search from "just type", and have cautiously accessed e-mails by logging into my account through the tablet
I'm not computer literate at all so get lost in the computer speak, and I'm loathe to try another restart, backup or web OSdoctor unless that is the right thing to do.
Any clues as to what I did wrong, how to get the pics and accounts back, in words of one syllable.
Help gratefully appreciated as I had a stroke last year and my own hard drives a bit knackered too
StHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It sounds like something is really weird software wise. I'd make sure that it's fully charged, then power it off, once it powers off, hold down Power and Volume Up at the same time, which should bring up a logo indicating that it's looking for a usb connection, or something along those lines (I haven't done this in over a year, so I can't remember exactly what the picture looks like). Then connect it to the PC, and run the 3.0.5 doctor.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

No not weird at all. Lately I'm losing web favorites, bookmarks, Skype settings, and contacts, that only rights itself after doing a shutdown and restart, which then restores everything. Something has been going on for the better part of 3 weeks now!
teejay69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
No not weird at all. Lately I'm losing web favorites, bookmarks, Skype settings, and contacts, that only rights itself after doing a shutdown and restart, which then restores everything. Something has been going on for the better part of 3 weeks now!
I can account for that too, for days I have to re-enter my passwords for my emails because some way it looses the connection or something. I don't want to sound paranoid or not/jinx things, but it spells like if evil HP was ready to shutdown the servers for WebOS devices
Old 04/21/2013, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Your email passwords are completely unrelated to the webOS account server.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote