webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Original HP Play App
Original HP Play App
Like Tree7Likes

Old 04/17/2013, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello, I had to reformat my PC a while back and that meant that I lost a lot of my music from there. The music is still on the touchpad but I can't find a way to access this to get it back on to my PC. I went looking for the original version of HP Play that I had but this is now long superceded. Is there a place from where the former version of HP play can de downloaded or is there a means of synching the Touchpad contents with my PC without this software? Thanks for any help...
johnnyconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyconnors View Post
Hello, I had to reformat my PC a while back and that meant that I lost a lot of my music from there. The music is still on the touchpad but I can't find a way to access this to get it back on to my PC. I went looking for the original version of HP Play that I had but this is now long superceded. Is there a place from where the former version of HP play can de downloaded or is there a means of synching the Touchpad contents with my PC without this software? Thanks for any help...
Just plug your Touchpad in the USB, press the USB mode button when it come up, open explorer, copy the Music folder's content back to your computer. So basically the exact same as any USB drive.

You do NOT need anything (software or other)... you're over-complicating things greatly.

Worse case scenario, your computer doesn't have the novacom driver. Best way to get it is to get the Preware setup: How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 04/17/2013, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Just plug your Touchpad in the USB, press the USB mode button when it come up, open explorer, copy the Music folder's content back to your computer. So basically the exact same as any USB drive.

You do NOT need anything (software or other)... you're over-complicating things greatly.

Worse case scenario, your computer doesn't have the novacom driver. Best way to get it is to get the Preware setup: How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation
He said *syncing*. I agree that your way is the easiest one but he specifically wants to sync and therefore you do need HP Play.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rnp

You can try to use Songbird.

The HP Play software was a "special version" of Songbird...

Best Regards...
Old 04/17/2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
He said *syncing*. I agree that your way is the easiest one but he specifically wants to sync and therefore you do need HP Play.
THE IMPORTANT PART: He wants to recoup his music.

Synching appears to be the way he believes to be the only way to do it (from his post).

That's what I'm providing.. a very easy way to do it.

If he wants something to synch, he could simply use Windows Media Player, in Win7, he gets his Touchpad in Synch., goes on the Touchpad's list of music, drag everything to the synch list, and click the "COPY TO COMPUTER". *hint hint*

And regardless of the method, he'll still need to ensure that the novacom driver is installed to connect his Touchpad anyways.

No need for any other software...again. I wish people would not over-complicate things for nothing and 3rd party software tend to do that.

I've tried/tested so many music software and always return to WMP for a good reason... it does everything and easily, but some people go with "it's made by MS, so yuck... 3rd party crap MUST be better"... I'm no MS fan, and I find the Vista version of WMP superior to Win7's version, but it's still fine.

If he doesn't have Win7, it's the same or very similar in XP and Vista I'm sure (I can check at home later where I have two machine with both these OSes). If he has a Fisher Price machine, then while it sucks, it'll still be something similar with USB drive and copying the folder over to the computer's drive.

oy...

Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04/17/2013 at 03:36 PM.
imfallen_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 04/17/2013, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rnp

WMP don't sync playlists with webOS devices...

Best Regards...
Old 04/17/2013, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
WMP don't sync playlists with webOS devices...

Best Regards...
I'd probably find a way.. but the question here isn't about playlists, the OP is asking about getting his music from the Touchpad to his computer.

Which I provided the two easiest way to do without having to download anything other than the novacom drivers if needed.
Old 04/17/2013, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

I have the original HP Play file... and I'll gonna leave here, when go home...

Best Regards..
Old 04/18/2013, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

MediaMonkey is what I use to sync.
Greg Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rnp

Hate me, all...

... I forgot the file!

Best Regards...
Old 08/06/2013, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Hate me, all...

... I forgot the file!

Best Regards...
Any chance for the HP Play app!?

Please...share it!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Jailbreak / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
sshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2013, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
THE IMPORTANT PART: He wants to recoup his music.
No need for any other software...again. I wish people would not over-complicate things for nothing and 3rd party software tend to do that.
Sure. The company that made an app to sync with the device they made is 3rd party. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

And regardless of that: WMP doesn't sync playlists with webOS.

Last edited by Vistaus; 08/07/2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08/06/2013, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
[...]

And regardless of the method, he'll still need to ensure that the novacom driver is installed to connect his Touchpad anyways.

[...]
No need for Novacom drivers when using USB mode. In fact, when the computer refuses to see a webOS device as a USB drive, chances are you need to open up Task Manager and kill novacomd.exe. Then try again, and this time the USB drive should come up.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2013, 08:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have it, I'll upload in a min..

EDIT: Here's the file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%201.2.154.msi

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sshaka, Vistaus and Remy X like this.
Thanked by Remy X, sshaka, Vistaus
Old 08/06/2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
I have it, I'll upload in a min..

EDIT: Here's the file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%201.2.154.msi
thanks...

saved the link, considering that it'd get pulled the moment mods find out
Liked by sshaka likes this.
Thanked By: sshaka
Old 08/06/2013, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rnp

Puuuuutz... I was thinking that I has lost the file because I could not find...

... and now, I seeing that is .MSI, and I was looking for .EXE! Ouch! Sorry, guys!

Best Regards...
Old 08/07/2013, 07:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

MSI installs just like a .exe on Windows. If you're on Linux you can use wine msiexec /i whatever.msi to install an MSI file.

Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 08/07/2013, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Wow.. this is the sort of thread that I find discouraging...

The OP wants to simply be able to get his music, which was lost during his PC reformat, from the Touchpad back to the PC.

All he needs to do is plug his Touchpad in, go in USB mode and copy the music files back.

Nothing to do with synching and anything like that, just wants to have the lost music back.

But somehow this thread became some sort of pissing contest of who can "out-smart" everyone with irrelevant context ?

He wants his music back.. all he needs to do is copy it back from the Touchpad, end of story... shesss..

Plug the Touchpad via USB cable, go in USB mode, find the files, copy them to the computer... end of story.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 08/07/2013, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow.. this is the sort of thread that I find discouraging...

The OP wants to simply be able to get his music, which was lost during his PC reformat, from the Touchpad back to the PC.

All he needs to do is plug his Touchpad in, go in USB mode and copy the music files back.

Nothing to do with synching and anything like that, just wants to have the lost music back.

But somehow this thread became some sort of pissing contest of who can "out-smart" everyone with irrelevant context ?

He wants his music back.. all he needs to do is copy it back from the Touchpad, end of story... shesss..

Plug the Touchpad via USB cable, go in USB mode, find the files, copy them to the computer... end of story.
Hey, I didn't think you'd take it like that. I was just pointing out that Novacom isn't always the solution, often enough it is the problem. The prescribed way of dealing with the issue is to reboot (according to Palm support), but I've found that killing novacomd.exe accomplished the same thing.

Come on, we need more knowledge and solutions, not less
Old 08/08/2013, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Maybe my glasses aren't working correctly but in the OP I clearly read:
"is there a means of synching the Touchpad contents"