Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree8Likes
  1. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey everybody. I saw an article over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

    Here's the link:

    Netflix now available on ARM Chromebooks via HTML5 player | Android Central
    Last edited by jrb363; 04/16/2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
  2. #2  
    Yeah. I saw this article as well - Im sure it could be done, it just depends on whether one of the dedicated dev's still around would be able to do any work to make this happen.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  3. #3  
    i know apps liek facebook are made on a device by people other than the facebook crowd, but arent all netflix apps created by netflix themselves? even if they do use html5 we'd still be left with them not making a port for us and i'd be surprised if anyone coudl reverse engineer one.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #4  
    I think everyone is hoping that browser-based HTML-5 would work rather than needing a new app.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I think everyone is hoping that browser-based HTML-5 would work rather than needing a new app.
    hopefully they have changed their minds then, i remember them whining about the supposed insecurities of flash/other solutions, tho i still think they only kept silverlight as the netflix main mans on the microsoft board.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    Hey everybody. I saw an over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

    Here's the link:

    Netflix now available on ARM Chromebooks via HTML5 player | Android Central
    Probably not. Netflix will require DRM functionality that the WebOS browser does not have.
  7. jim1eye's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    Hey everybody. I saw an article over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

    Here's the link:

    Netflix now available on ARM Chromebooks via HTML5 player | Android Central
    Have you considered installing CyanogenMod on your Touchpad? You can still enjoy WebOS and then switch to Android if you want to watch Netflix.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1eye View Post
    Have you considered installing CyanogenMod on your Touchpad? You can still enjoy WebOS and then switch to Android if you want to watch Netflix.
    hes probably like me tho, i ONLY have android installed because of netflix, if i got a native solution for webOS id dump android from the touchpad in a heartbeat, pretty much the same way i used microsoft windows for so long, once there was a solution for ubuntu/linux to get netflix i aborted windows from all my computers/laptops instantly.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    jrb363 and Rnp like this.
  9. jrb363's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    hes probably like me tho, i ONLY have android installed because of netflix, if i got a native solution for webOS id dump android from the touchpad in a heartbeat, pretty much the same way i used microsoft windows for so long, once there was a solution for ubuntu/linux to get netflix i aborted windows from all my computers/laptops instantly.
    This guy gets it. I have no desire to hack Android onto my Touchpad. It would just feel...wrong if I did that. I bought the Touchpad and Veer because I loved webOS not to put another OS on the hardware.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Rnp and mattmers like this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    This guy gets it. I have no desire to hack Android onto my Touchpad. It would just feel...wrong if I did that. I bought the Touchpad and Veer because I loved webOS not to put another OS on the hardware.
    I agree with you 100%, my TouchPad tablet still remains pure WebOS Virgin....never had or will never ever, install that ugly Android operating system on my tablet. While they[Google mobile OS] might have all the fancy apps and what not, Android will never touch my TouchPad.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Rnp likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Probably not. Netflix will require DRM functionality that the WebOS browser does not have.
    This is true. In fact, in order for Netflix's HTML5 experiment with Google to be working in the first place, they had to develop a preliminary version of the spec as a working test case to submit to the W3C so they could promote it as a standard (which is how browsers eventually obtain new features--W3C specifications from Working Drafts, mostly).

    This means it no workie in the Touchpad 3.0.x browser. It simply doesn't support anything proposed since late 2010 nor final specifications for substantial parts of HTML5 that's been changed since then. It's why it gets an abysmal HTML5Test.com score compared to those platforms that conduct updates--currently at a 224 score when the other major players (except for Android 4.0's old and obsolete default browser) start in the mid-300s into the 400s.

    It also means, for Open webOS, that they'd need to rebase to the first version of Webkit that supports it after Webkit consumes the extensions from Blink (assuming it's in Google's fork rather than Webkit mainline, which is what it sounds like).

    So, just because it says "HTML5" it doesn't mean anything for those that have been wishing for Netflix on their Touchpads; the support for the proposed DRM extension to HTML5 simply isn't there and would require a complete Webkit update, which means realistically you'll still have to install Android to get a Netflix experience at all.
  12. #12  
    Or Ubuntu, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread. But realistically still, most users--read, not the high-advanced users--would opt for the Android solution since it's the most documented and widely supported dual-boot path out there.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Or Ubuntu, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread. But realistically still, most users--read, not the high-advanced users--would opt for the Android solution since it's the most documented and widely supported dual-boot path out there.
    aye bit of a bummer having to rely on a set OS just to get access to a paid service you happen to use a lot, unfortunatly for me i use netflix more than i watch regular tv so i need something to watch it on, np on a pc but im amazingly limited on the mobile side of things.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  14. #14  
    Netflix was one of the main reasons I installed Cyanogenmod. I prefer WebOS, but my Touchpad is more functional (meaning "I have access to a whole lot more apps and opportunities") now.
  15. jim1eye's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Netflix was one of the main reasons I installed Cyanogenmod. I prefer WebOS, but my Touchpad is more functional (meaning "I have access to a whole lot more apps and opportunities") now.
    I agree, it isn't about giving up WebOS, heck, I just dumped my Rezound for my Pre+. So if you want to watch Netflix on a tablet, you either get another tablet or learn to control the dark side.
  16. #16  
    I still think HP should release this,citrix ,etc since they were clearly done (at least as much as kindle I'm sure)
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
  17. mdram's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
    #17  
    I agree with you guys...I only put CM9 on my TP for Netflix and a couple of games my kids like (Minecraft, etc.). I do think CM9 isn't that bad compared to an old Droid phone I had running 1.6. LOL...

    But still..i don't like the browser. Flash sites that work in webOS don't work in CM9.

    You can't beat synergy on webOS!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Netflix was one of the main reasons I installed Cyanogenmod. I prefer WebOS, but my Touchpad is more functional (meaning "I have access to a whole lot more apps and opportunities") now.
    +1, Cyanogen only for Netflix & newer games for my kids, rest I boot up WebOS
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
  19. #19  
    I saw this retweeted by @Ayoras78

    It's long shot, but would this work for webOS (yes, the browser is old) ?
    UTB Blogs - Netflix Comes to BlackBerry 10

    If not, what about LuneOS?

    Is the whole 'webapps are the future' coming true? It would be amazing if webOS gained new and popular services thanks to HTML5.

    When I read the post, it seemed the author hadn't actually got it to work, but a fair number of commenters seemed to have succeeded. The page is still being rolled out.

    Anyone want to test?

    (UA spoof might overcome some site rejections: iPhone User Agent Spoof - How to make all mobile websites display perfectly )
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/17/2015 at 12:12 AM.
  20. #20  
    I tried it on the pre3 with the old hulu patch (spoofs as an old desktop pc running windows NT and safari.) I Can sign in, and browse the movies, but when i try to watch one, it brings me to the requirements page which says i need windows 7 and newest firefox or chome, osx with newest firefox or chome, or chome os with chrome 37

    So I guess if someone wants to figure out how to spoof the UA to match one of those setups they can, but I have a feeling it won't work anyway as our version of webkit is really really old at this point.
    Preemptive likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lets all ask Netflix fo an APP for the touchpad
    By kschroppe in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11/20/2011, 10:48 PM
  2. Worried about No Netflix for touchpad
    By kkhanmd in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 10/04/2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Netflix on TouchPad! (with rdp)
    By respawntime03 in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09/27/2011, 10:30 PM
  4. Does netflix work on touchpad?
    By hpsalesguy in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08/23/2011, 12:55 AM
  5. Netflix really that important for TouchPad?
    By JayhawkOne in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06/28/2011, 02:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions