webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Netflix for the Touchpad?
Netflix for the Touchpad?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By jrb363
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23

Old 04/16/2013, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey everybody. I saw an article over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

Here's the link:

Netflix now available on ARM Chromebooks via HTML5 player | Android Central

Last edited by jrb363; 04/16/2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah. I saw this article as well - Im sure it could be done, it just depends on whether one of the dedicated dev's still around would be able to do any work to make this happen.
Old 04/16/2013, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

i know apps liek facebook are made on a device by people other than the facebook crowd, but arent all netflix apps created by netflix themselves? even if they do use html5 we'd still be left with them not making a port for us and i'd be surprised if anyone coudl reverse engineer one.
Old 04/16/2013, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think everyone is hoping that browser-based HTML-5 would work rather than needing a new app.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
I think everyone is hoping that browser-based HTML-5 would work rather than needing a new app.
hopefully they have changed their minds then, i remember them whining about the supposed insecurities of flash/other solutions, tho i still think they only kept silverlight as the netflix main mans on the microsoft board.
Old 04/16/2013, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Hey everybody. I saw an over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

Here's the link:

Probably not. Netflix will require DRM functionality that the WebOS browser does not have.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey everybody. I saw an article over on Android Central and as I understand it Netflix is FINALLY going to stop using Silverlight at some point and switch to some sort of HTML 5 based code. My question is since the Touchpad is compatible with HTML 5, is there any way we could update the browser to take advantage of and use these new functions to finally have Netflix?

Here's the link:

Have you considered installing CyanogenMod on your Touchpad? You can still enjoy WebOS and then switch to Android if you want to watch Netflix.
jim1eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1eye View Post
Have you considered installing CyanogenMod on your Touchpad? You can still enjoy WebOS and then switch to Android if you want to watch Netflix.
hes probably like me tho, i ONLY have android installed because of netflix, if i got a native solution for webOS id dump android from the touchpad in a heartbeat, pretty much the same way i used microsoft windows for so long, once there was a solution for ubuntu/linux to get netflix i aborted windows from all my computers/laptops instantly.
Old 04/16/2013, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
hes probably like me tho, i ONLY have android installed because of netflix, if i got a native solution for webOS id dump android from the touchpad in a heartbeat, pretty much the same way i used microsoft windows for so long, once there was a solution for ubuntu/linux to get netflix i aborted windows from all my computers/laptops instantly.
This guy gets it. I have no desire to hack Android onto my Touchpad. It would just feel...wrong if I did that. I bought the Touchpad and Veer because I loved webOS not to put another OS on the hardware.
Liked by Rnp and mattmers like this.
Old 04/16/2013, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
This guy gets it. I have no desire to hack Android onto my Touchpad. It would just feel...wrong if I did that. I bought the Touchpad and Veer because I loved webOS not to put another OS on the hardware.
I agree with you 100%, my TouchPad tablet still remains pure WebOS Virgin....never had or will never ever, install that ugly Android operating system on my tablet. While they[Google mobile OS] might have all the fancy apps and what not, Android will never touch my TouchPad.
Old 04/17/2013, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
Probably not. Netflix will require DRM functionality that the WebOS browser does not have.
This is true. In fact, in order for Netflix's HTML5 experiment with Google to be working in the first place, they had to develop a preliminary version of the spec as a working test case to submit to the W3C so they could promote it as a standard (which is how browsers eventually obtain new features--W3C specifications from Working Drafts, mostly).

This means it no workie in the Touchpad 3.0.x browser. It simply doesn't support anything proposed since late 2010 nor final specifications for substantial parts of HTML5 that's been changed since then. It's why it gets an abysmal HTML5Test.com score compared to those platforms that conduct updates--currently at a 224 score when the other major players (except for Android 4.0's old and obsolete default browser) start in the mid-300s into the 400s.

It also means, for Open webOS, that they'd need to rebase to the first version of Webkit that supports it after Webkit consumes the extensions from Blink (assuming it's in Google's fork rather than Webkit mainline, which is what it sounds like).

So, just because it says "HTML5" it doesn't mean anything for those that have been wishing for Netflix on their Touchpads; the support for the proposed DRM extension to HTML5 simply isn't there and would require a complete Webkit update, which means realistically you'll still have to install Android to get a Netflix experience at all.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 12:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Or Ubuntu, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread. But realistically still, most users--read, not the high-advanced users--would opt for the Android solution since it's the most documented and widely supported dual-boot path out there.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 06:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Or Ubuntu, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread. But realistically still, most users--read, not the high-advanced users--would opt for the Android solution since it's the most documented and widely supported dual-boot path out there.
aye bit of a bummer having to rely on a set OS just to get access to a paid service you happen to use a lot, unfortunatly for me i use netflix more than i watch regular tv so i need something to watch it on, np on a pc but im amazingly limited on the mobile side of things.
Old 04/17/2013, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Netflix was one of the main reasons I installed Cyanogenmod. I prefer WebOS, but my Touchpad is more functional (meaning "I have access to a whole lot more apps and opportunities") now.
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
Netflix was one of the main reasons I installed Cyanogenmod. I prefer WebOS, but my Touchpad is more functional (meaning "I have access to a whole lot more apps and opportunities") now.
I agree, it isn't about giving up WebOS, heck, I just dumped my Rezound for my Pre+. So if you want to watch Netflix on a tablet, you either get another tablet or learn to control the dark side.
jim1eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 11:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

I still think HP should release this,citrix ,etc since they were clearly done (at least as much as kindle I'm sure)
(Sales prices always less than ebay)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 01:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree with you guys...I only put CM9 on my TP for Netflix and a couple of games my kids like (Minecraft, etc.). I do think CM9 isn't that bad compared to an old Droid phone I had running 1.6. LOL...

But still..i don't like the browser. Flash sites that work in webOS don't work in CM9.

You can't beat synergy on webOS!
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2013, 11:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
+1, Cyanogen only for Netflix & newer games for my kids, rest I boot up WebOS

Tags
netflix, touchpad, webos