Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Yes, there's a few threads about dead Touchpads and how they've been revived...

Mine took months, and so many trials and errors that I want to provide the info as so much was searched for, as no one as compiles a quick list.

My troubles... kids let the Touchpad die completely (didn't noticed that the Touchstone was unplugged), and it was DEAD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VARIOUS POSSIBLE WAYS TO GET IT GOING AGAIN:

1) I tried all the buttons combinations that are stated all over the threads:

Holding

Home button for 30 seconds
    Home and power for 30 seconds
    Home, volume up (or down) and power for 30 seconds
    Holding power and click home rapidly for 20-30 times/30 seconds
    Then just tried every possible other combination of the buttons, clicking multiple times, or holding them
    etc.

2) Then the attempts with various chargers, 0.5A, 0.75A, 1A, using my computer's USB, etc. leaving it for days on these chargers.

3) Then the plugging and unplugging rapidly... Spent a good hour doing it, then got a kid to do this while watching TV... still nothing. Again with the various chargers.

4) I went and got another battery, still nothing, aside the experience of opening the Touchpad up.

5) So then tried to let it sit and completely be dead and hope the charging circuit resets as some have mentioned working for them .. still nothing.

Edit (12/2014) In another thread, someone mentionned what worked for them: plugged in their Touchpad in a low power charger, held the central button down for hours using a grain of rice and a paper clip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The clue that there was something still happening was the holding the buttons while it was plugged in, I'd get the computer seeing a device, but not able to install the drivers.

The months passed....

Finally, I found the tpdebrick instructions... and summed up my courage and went at it again.

So... that lead to a lot of headaches.

Quick version, tried to install ubuntu 12.10 on my backup older machine... after two days, the best I got was in a virtual mode... no way to get it to connect to the USB ports correctly... (trust me, I said things that would make a sailor blush, one of the worst computer experiences of my life).

Then, grabbed a spare drive, removed all my drives from my "big" machine and decided to do a full install.

First.. I didn't realize that the download I had was a 32bit version of ubunt 12.10... so while I won't go in the details, the couple of hours I spent was all for nigh, and it's a good thing that I have adequate bandwidth for downloads late in the month. So I'll skip all the swearing I did trying to get this tpdebrick part to work, and more on to the fact that I went and got ubuntu 12.10 64bit version (which is where I am on now).

Then the error messages..., more searches... spent something like 6 hours going through everything.

So now the solution...

First... the solution IS here:

TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

NEW LINK FOR THE TPDEBRICK: http://d-h.st/NET

PLEASE FIND FULL DETAIL REWRITE OF INSTRUCTIONS BELOW: Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

What's missing is:

1) Get ubuntu 64bit 12.10 version
    Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

MAKE SURE that you get the 64 version (and have a computer that is 64bit capable)

2) The fastboot and such tools... (THIS is where I had to look every where for the solution, which is stupidly simple).

In ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

Install it.

Then go back to the instructions of rootzwiki....

I've spend hours looking and downloading so many things, so many large files....

I hope this helps others....

And good luck to all... if I was able to get my Touchpad going again... and thanks for all those that attempted to help in all those other threads.

/revised on the 11th of December 2013 so to include all the possible steps that I took prior to the TPDebrick in more details.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/04/2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    For some reason the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.x see's the entire disk device (sdb, or sdc, etc) without much trouble compared with the 32 bit version. Need to use other tricks to make it show up under /dev in the 32 bit version. It didn't seem to matter whether you were running the 32 or 64 bit version previously.

Yes TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki provides a fix for 95% of the dead Touchpads out there. Read carefully though, you must follow the instructions explicitly and also note the one issue it does not resolve before you begin to avoid wasting your time if that happens to be what ails your TP.
    Don't forget to send jcsullins a thank you donation for creating this set of fixes.

TTB

Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Yes, there's a few threads about dead Touchpads and how they've been revived...

Mine took months, and so many trials and errors that I want to provide the info as so much was searched for, as no one as compiles a quick list.

My troubles... kids let the Touchpad die completely (didn't noticed that hte Touchstone was unplugged), and it was DEAD.

I tried all the buttons combinations that are stated all over the threads:

Holding

Home button for 30 seconds
    Home and power for 30 seconds
    Home, volume up (or down) and power for 30 seconds
    Power and click home rapidly for 20-30 times/30 seconds
    etc.

I went and got another battery, still nothing, aside the experience of opening the Touchpad up.

The clue that there was something still happening was the holding the buttons while it was plugged in, I'd get the computer seeing a device, but missing the drivers.

So tried to let it sit and completely be dead and hope the charging circuit resets.. still nothing.

The months passed....

So finally, I found the tpdebrick instructions... and summed up my courage and went at it again.

So... that lead to a lot of headaches.

Quick version, tried to install ubuntu 12.10 on my backup older machine... after two days, the best I got was in a virtual mode... no way to get it to connect to the USB ports correctly... (trust me, I said things that would make a sailor blush, one of the worst computer experiences of my life).

Then, grabbed a spare drive, removed all my drives from my "big" machine and decided to do a full install.

First.. I didn't realize that the download I had was a 32bit version of ubunt 12.10... so while I won't go in the details, the couple of hours I spent was all for nigh, and it's a good thing that I have adequate bandwidth for downloads late in the month. So I'll skip all the swearing I did trying to get this tpdebrick part to work, and more on to the fact that I went and got ubuntu 12.10 64bit version (which is where I am on now).

Then the error messages..., more searches... spent something like 6 hours going through everything.

So now the solution...

First... the solution IS here:

TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

What's missing is:

1) Get ubuntu 64bit 12.10 version

MAKE SURE that you get the 64 version (and have a computer that is 64bit capable)

2) The fastboot and such tools... (THIS is where I had to look every where for the solution, which is stupidly simple).

In ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'd find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

Install it.

Then go back to the instructions of rootzwiki....

I hope this helps others....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    For some reason the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.x see's the entire disk device (sdb, or sdc, etc) without much trouble compared with the 32 bit version. Need to use other tricks to make it show up under /dev in the 32 bit version. It didn't seem to matter whether you were running the 32 or 64 bit version previously.

Yes TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki provides a fix for 95% of the dead Touchpads out there. Read carefully though, you must follow the instructions explicitly and also note the one issue it does not resolve before you begin to avoid wasting your time if that happens to be what ails your TP.
    Don't forget to send jcsullins a thank you donation for creating this set of fixes.

TTB
    Already did, and after about an hour, I have a 56% charge. Switched from the plug to the Touchstone to ensure all is working fine...

I haven't closed my Touchpad yet, as I will be switching the battery to charge the old one...if anything weird comes of it.. will follow up.

UPDATE: I've now switched the batteries back to the original one and after a good 3 hours of the home button blinking left to right, the Touchpad came to life... a night plugged in and it's 100%.

SECOND UPDATE (months later)
    The Touchpad is still working great. I've had two incidents that while on the Touchstone, it was stuck in a loop with the "ding" sound and the "battery Charging" message pinging over and over.

A quick reboot resolved this both times.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 08/02/2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  4.    #4  
    Update:

it`s been over 6 months, and things are still great.

The touchpad is used A LOT by the kids, everyday, and not a single issue aside something that all my Touchpads do once in a while, which is getting confused on their Touchstone, and the charging notice keeps dinging open and close... a reboot fixes this.
    I see a pattern...
    MikeN68, HelloNNNewman and Rnp like this.
    Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for some years now - know some Terminal commands etc.

In the TPdebrick topic you refer to, how did you get the Terminal to recognise the TPdebrick file? I've followed the advice and tried several different methods but it doesn't seem to want to work for me!

I've a bricked TP (6 months) and wish to revive it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Paulscarbs; 11/02/2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Bump, touchpad ready and waiting to be revived once I understand the instructions better. Please see post above.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for some years now - know some Terminal commands etc.

In the TPdebrick topic you refer to, how did you get the Terminal to recognise the TPdebrick file? I've followed the advice and tried several different methods but it doesn't seem to want to work for me!

I've a bricked TP (6 months) and wish to revive it.

Thanks
    Well, as I truly never used Ubuntu before this, I'm far from a pro with it.

The few things that I mention were key to getting everything to work.

So make sure that you have Ubutu 12.10 64bit version on a 64bit capable computer (I tried on one that wasn't so it failed miserably and wasted 2 days)

The instructions from TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki were fine, but I'll provide simplified ones (with parts borrowed from the Rootzwiki) here that worked for me..

1) get a computer and put in a spare blank hard drive and install Ubuntu 12.10 64bit version as a fresh install.

Let it run it's updates, drivers install, etc... this can take a few hours.

In Ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

Install it.

3) Download tpdebrick-v004 from the URL: http://d-h.st/NET ANOTHER NEW LINK!!!!!!!!!! and unzip it, saving it to an easy to find folder, such as the download one. You may do this on other machine and unzip it on that machine, then copy the files over to the Ubuntu machine.

4) Click "Dash Home" (icon in top left corner of screen)
    Type in "Terminal"
    Click on the "Terminal" icon
    Click in the "Terminal" window

5) Run "cd Downloads" ( or "cd xxxxx" to the folder where the tpdebrick file is)

either
    Run "unzip tpdebrick-v004" to unzip if you still didn't do it as per step 3

then

or if the files are already unzipped

Run "cd tpdebrick-v004"

6) Connect Touchpad and Hold Power+Home+VolDown buttons on Touchpad for 30 seconds

7) Run "script" (this will capture the output of the tpdebrick process)

8) Run

"sudo ./tpdebrick 16" for a 16GB Touchpad
    or
    "sudo ./tpdebrick 32" for a 32GB Touchpad

And things should start happening.

This will only work if you did the "cd xxxx" to the right folder.

9) give it a while... it can take a good ten minutes, and if done right, you'll have a "All done" message.

If the process hangs for more than 5 minutes, you can abort the process
    by pressing Ctrl-\ (Ctrl key and key with '|' above '\').

10) Run "exit" (this will stop the output capture started with "script")

11) Charge your Touchpad, within a certain amount of time (depending on how dead your battery was) you should get the flashing of the home button, and eventually the low battery screen until it charges enough to reset itself and boot.

Probably your issue might be that you never unzipped the tpdebrick file or running the sudo from the wrong folder?
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/15/2013 at 11:54 PM.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I still think that what really works is a variation of the same procedure I've seen work for other bricked devices:

- plug in a USB charger, leave a few seconds, unplug
    - repeat many times until you get a response

Each time you plug it in, the charging circuit tries to charge the battery for a few seconds, then decides that there is no battery because there's insufficient charging current, and it shuts off. But each time you do it, the battery gets a little burst of power, until finally it has just enough to activate the charging circuit. Of course the user who has been trying a dozen different things then thinks that the last thing he did was the one that fixed it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I still think that what really works is a variation of the same procedure I've seen work for other bricked devices:

- plug in a USB charger, leave a few seconds, unplug
    - repeat many times until you get a response

Each time you plug it in, the charging circuit tries to charge the battery for a few seconds, then decides that there is no battery because there's insufficient charging current, and it shuts off. But each time you do it, the battery gets a little burst of power, until finally it has just enough to activate the charging circuit. Of course the user who has been trying a dozen different things then thinks that the last thing he did was the one that fixed it.

oy...

Believe that you want, but I spent a couple of evening while watching TV with the Touchpad and the plug, tried one low power charger for a hour, then tried another one of different power level, then had one of the kids do it for an evening.

Sorry, but if the chip/charging circuit is corrupted, it's gone, it's just not going to rewrite itself. It's not "activating itself", it's about the fact that it doesn't know what the battery is any more.

What you're saying is similar to when you have a faulty hard drive with a locked arm and you plug and unplug it until it finally snaps out. Problem is.. the drive is already damaged and will eventually die for the same reason the arm got stuck.

This isn't a toaster with a stuck lever.

This is about Touchpads that are dead in all possible ways, and then doing the TPdebrick and it's back 100%. That isn't "luck", and if you think it is, I have some magic beans to sell you.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Not quite - I'm saying that the charge is cumulative. A few seconds of charging at a time eventually adds up. It's no good plugging it in and leaving it for any length of time. The key is to keep plugging it in repeatedly for a few seconds at a time.
    Not quite - I'm saying that the charge is cumulative. A few seconds of charging at a time eventually adds up. It's no good plugging it in and leaving it for any length of time. The key is to keep plugging it in repeatedly for a few seconds at a time.
    This may have worked for you but I don't buy into it.

I installed a fully charged battery into the dead unit and it didn't start. SImply got a white question mark instead which I'm led to believe is the charging circuit fault and not the fact it won't charge.

I've been using a 32bit computer so far so will attempt the debrick with a 64bit one as soon as I can and report back.

Thanks imfallen_angel for the thoroughly written instructions. I really appreciate the time it took to do that.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  12.    #12  
    As Paul mentioned, I had also bought a new battery, had put it in and continued having a dead Touchpad.. and tried yet again the several buttons, the plugging it through several chargers, etc. for over a week.

I then abandoned it for about a month and then found the tpdebrick information.

I am saying that after getting all my steps done and actually got the tpdebrick to do it's thing, the Touchpad was instantly back to life.

This was NOT luck, it was the solution.

Once the chip is corrupted, no amount of attempts to charge it or have it suddenly wake up is just not good advice nor with ever work.

It no longer "sees" the battery.

This is very different from a battery's circuit that got so depleted that it's having trouble accepting power.
    I see a pattern...
    This is very different from a battery's circuit that got so depleted that it's having trouble accepting power.
    @imfallen_angel - thanks.
    I'm with you (I'm in the same situation : TP is dead ; I assume battery is still (somewhat) ok; I've not tried tpdebrick yet).

My remaining question is: How can users from the outside (not opening the TP) decide if they should use tpdebrick or if they might still try some kind of recharging tricks, because the battery is "having trouble accepting power"?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    @imfallen_angel - thanks.
    I'm with you (I'm in the same situation : TP is dead ; I assume battery is still (somewhat) ok; I've not tried tpdebrick yet).

My remaining question is: How can users from the outside (not opening the TP) decide if they should use tpdebrick or if they might still try some kind of recharging tricks, because the battery is "having trouble accepting power"?
    I'd say that from everything I've read and where people managed to get their Touchpad going without tpdebrick, the one thing that sticks out (for me) is that :

If you plug the Touchpad to a computer and do the button combination (if I remember right, it was simply holding the power and home for several seconds) and the computer responds by saying that you've plugged a device and will now try to install the drivers. (and fails to do so)

For me this indicates that the Touchpad is still active but no longer taking in power as otherwise, it would be charging at this point.. but even with the computer's response, I've left the Touchpad for days with the computer and still nothing.

In a way, at some point, if the Touchpad is dead and everything else failed to bring it back, what do you have to lose by doing the tpdebrick... worse case, you'll have rewritten the code onto the chipset.

But again, this is assuming that the battery is still fine...

If it's the battery after all, then this wouldn't matter. So sadly, without a 100% confirmation that it's the battery, it's a shot in hte dark.

Myself, I tried with a new battery (fully charged) and the Touchpad was still dead, so I knew right there that it wasn't the battery.

Once the tpdebrick done, with the new battery, the Touchpad turned on right way and had a fairly full charge still (after me trying things for a week or more). I replaced the original battery back in, and the Touchpad was completely dead, but plugging it in, I got the waving home button light, and later, the battery charging icon, then after overnight, it worked and was back to 100%...

That was over 6 months ago now, it's still with the original battery and still working fine.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    How do you explain the people who got a bricked TouchPad that wouldn't charge, put it away in a drawer for a couple of months, then tried again and it charged?
    How do you explain the people who got a bricked TouchPad that wouldn't charge, put it away in a drawer for a couple of months, then tried again and it charged?
    I would suggest they weren't bricked TPs.

Mine has been dead for 6 months... no joy still. I'm going to try debrick.
  17.    #17  
    If you actually bothered reading, you'd see that I already addressed this.

Some even managed to get their Touchpad going by warming them up with a heating pad... causing the battery to produce enough power to reset it's circuit. (yup, I even tried that.)

What we are talking here is Touchpads that even with a fully charged battery, the charging chip is corrupted and no longer recognizes the battery... for all the money in the world, that chip now believes that the battery is a baked potato and will not do anything other than sit with it's fingers in it's ears and eyes closed going lalalalala I can't hear or see you.

The tpdebrick has worked for MANY Touchpads that otherwise no longer worked and were nothing but paperweights, with their owners doing everything that's been recommended... I don't understand your reluctance to believing this.
    I see a pattern...
    Well, as I truly never used Ubuntu before this, I'm far from a pro with it.

The few things that I mention were key to getting everything to work.

So make sure that you have Ubutu 12.10 64bit version on a 64bit capable computer (I tried on one that wasn't so it failed miserably and wasted 2 days)

The instructions from TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki were fine, but I'll provide simplified ones (with parts borrowed from the Rootzwiki) here that worked for me..

1) get a computer and put in a spare blank hard drive and install Ubuntu 12.10 64bit version as a fresh install.

Let it run it's updates, drivers install, etc... this can take a few hours.

In Ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

Install it.

3) Download tpdebrick-v004 from the URL: File-Upload.net - tpdebrick-v004.zip NEW LINK!!!!!!!!!! and unzip it, saving it to an easy to find folder, such as the download one. You may do this on other machine and unzip it on that machine, then copy the files over to the Ubuntu machine.

4) Click "Dash Home" (icon in top left corner of screen)
    Type in "Terminal"
    Click on the "Terminal" icon
    Click in the "Terminal" window

5) Run "cd Downloads" ( or "cd xxxxx" to the folder where the tpdebrick file is)

either
    Run "unzip tpdebrick-v004" to unzip if you still didn't do it as per step 3

then

or if the files are already unzipped

Run "cd tpdebrick-v004"

6) Connect Touchpad and Hold Power+Home+VolDown buttons on Touchpad for 30 seconds

7) Run "script" (this will capture the output of the tpdebrick process)

8) Run

"sudo ./tpdebrick 16" for a 16GB Touchpad
    or
    "sudo ./tpdebrick 32" for a 32GB Touchpad

And things should start happening.

This will only work if you did the "cd xxxx" to the right folder.

9) give it a while... it can take a good ten minutes, and if done right, you'll have a "All done" message.

If the process hangs for more than 5 minutes, you can abort the process
    by pressing Ctrl-\ (Ctrl key and key with '|' above '\').

10) Run "exit" (this will stop the output capture started with "script")

11) Charge your Touchpad, within a certain amount of time (depending on how dead your battery was) you should get the flashing of the home button, and eventually the low battery screen until it charges enough to reset itself and boot.

Probably your issue might be that you never unzipped the tpdebrick file or running the sudo from the wrong folder?
    Hi imfallen_angel,

Please could you advise me what is meant by:

'5) Run "cd Downloads" ( or "cd xxxxx" to the folder where the tpdebrick file is)'

in your instructions?

Do I run these programs from within Terminal or do I just need to have Terminal open? When I unzip the tpdebrick-v004 folder I see no file named cd Downloads or cd tpdebrick-v004.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Paulscarbs; 11/09/2013 at 11:55 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Hi imfallen_angel,

Please could you advise me what is meant by:

'5) Run "cd Downloads" ( or "cd xxxxx" to the folder where the tpdebrick file is)'

in your instructions?

Do I run these programs from within Terminal or do I just need to have Terminal open? When I unzip the tpdebrick-v004 folder I see no file named cd Downloads or cd tpdebrick-v004.

Am I missing something?
    yes, from within terminal.

what this is, is to set the folder that you are in, so that the command reference the right files.

cd download = Change Directory to the download folder...

so in terminal, you start off in the root folder (c and you need to "be" in the folder where tpdebrick is.

so "c:\download" where the file is or should be and cd download is how you do that
    I see a pattern...
    yes, from within terminal.

what this is, is to set the folder that you are in, so that the command reference the right files.

cd download = Change Directory to the download folder...

so in terminal, you start off in the root folder (c and you need to "be" in the folder where tpdebrick is.

so "c:\download" where the file is or should be and cd download is how you do that
    Got it. Also discovered that Terminal is case sensitive!

Process ran through and I received a couple of FAILED messages!

Grrr
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast