Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
    I had a question - if my Touchpad won't turn on at all and has no lights whatsoever, and is therefore not detected by Windows when I plug it in, is it still worth installing Ubuntu and trying this? Will the Touchpad get detected in Ubuntu even if it has no indications of being on or having any battery left?

Thanks.
    As per the info I provided...my Touchpad didn't give me any sign of life until I did the following:

Plug the Touchpad in the computer, hold the power and home button down for a good 5 to 10 seconds.

If you get anything on the computer about trying to load drivers, or any signs at all that it does see the Touchpad, then, yes, there's a huge chance that you are having the charging circuit issue and the TpDebrick would be the way to go to save the Touchpad.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    As per the info I provided...my Touchpad didn't give me any sign of life until I did the following:

Plug the Touchpad in the computer, hold the power and home button down for a good 5 to 10 seconds.

If you get anything on the computer about trying to load drivers, or any signs at all that it does see the Touchpad, then, yes, there's a huge chance that you are having the charging circuit issue and the TpDebrick would be the way to go to save the Touchpad.
    I've let it charge via my Kindle charger for a couple of days and tried it on a PC (holding the buttons), but no go. I'm guessing it's just dead at this point?
    Should I keep it charging for a few more days to see if there's any chance?
  3.    #43  
    I've let it charge via my Kindle charger for a couple of days and tried it on a PC (holding the buttons), but no go. I'm guessing it's just dead at this point?
    Should I keep it charging for a few more days to see if there's any chance?
    Try power, home and volume up buttons while plugged in computer (must be a Windows machine).

Alternative: volume down.

And I recommend an actual touchpad barrel charger, it's a circuit thing and very few alternative charger will work.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    firehawk12 likes this.
    Try power, home and volume up buttons while plugged in computer (must be a Windows machine).

Alternative: volume down.

And I recommend an actual touchpad barrel charger, it's a circuit thing and very few alternative charger will work.
    I do have one of those, but in the other thread they said that it needed to be a 1amp charger because it needs to trickle charge in order to come back to life?
    Okay, I tried connecting it to a PC and holding down the volume button and there were signs of life, so I'm trying the tpdebrick process. I'm just wondering, is there any way to know if it's working at all? It says "Connect Touchpad then hold Power + Home+VolumeDown for 30 seconds", which I did, but I have no idea if it's doing anything or not.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I got it working. It's pointed out in the thread that you link in the instructions, but you need that .jar file as well as DFU-UTIL installed as well.

Now wait a few hours to see if my Touchpad will come back to life... but if it does, does this mean that I won't have to worry about the machine fully draining again?

Just to update that it's working again. I may need to do this to my other touchpad just in case, but maybe I'll just leave it plugged in and hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by firehawk12; 05/20/2014 at 07:17 AM.
  6.    #46  
    I do have one of those, but in the other thread they said that it needed to be a 1amp charger because it needs to trickle charge in order to come back to life?
    That's one trick that doesn't work all that often and won't it the charging circuit is corrupted.

If you left it with a low power charger for over 4-5 days and still nothing, it's probably never going to work... I'd recommend using a computer USB port to be honest, so to prevent a chip issue with a ad-hoc charger.
    I see a pattern...
  7.    #47  
    Okay, I tried connecting it to a PC and holding down the volume button and there were signs of life, so I'm trying the tpdebrick process. I'm just wondering, is there any way to know if it's working at all? It says "Connect Touchpad then hold Power + Home+VolumeDown for 30 seconds", which I did, but I have no idea if it's doing anything or not.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I got it working. It's pointed out in the thread that you link in the instructions, but you need that .jar file as well as DFU-UTIL installed as well.

Now wait a few hours to see if my Touchpad will come back to life... but if it does, does this mean that I won't have to worry about the machine fully draining again?

Just to update that it's working again. I may need to do this to my other touchpad just in case, but maybe I'll just leave it plugged in and hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks!

Well, that's all good news.. signs of life, and such, and it appears that the TpDebrick worked, you should have a flashing home button for a while, then once the screen goes on, you should be fine... you'll have the battery icon for a little while and then it should be alive again.

Just let it charged fully.

The question is why did it discharge completely? Normally you should be able to turn it off (power it down properly) and it should last for a long while before the battery dies again (if you are not using it). But all batteries and devices will discharge by themselves.

The best thing for Touchpads, is to have a Touchstone and have it around as a clock if you don't use it often, then when you do, you can just grab and use.

But once it's been TpDebrick, the power circuit is rewritten and should be fine. I've yet to hear someone say why the charging circuit corrupts, so the dead Touchpad thing is a very random thing... I know I've done mine and since then it's been fine, but it almost always on the Touchstone. (as it was my spare one)

But still, glad to hear that it appears that you've made progress!
    I see a pattern...
    firehawk12 likes this.
    I actually kept it charged via the charging cylinder, but the microusb cable that it came with was broken and it stopped charging at some point. I just left it for a couple of months and it just drained completely. But hey, at least it's working now and I replaced the cable!

I have another Touchpad that I use, which I do keep on an induction charger. Is it worth running tpdebrick on that Touchpad as well, even though it is working fine? Would it prevent any potential problems in the future?

Thanks!
    I actually kept it charged via the charging cylinder, but the microusb cable that it came with was broken and it stopped charging at some point. I just left it for a couple of months and it just drained completely. But hey, at least it's working now and I replaced the cable!

I have another Touchpad that I use, which I do keep on an induction charger. Is it worth running tpdebrick on that Touchpad as well, even though it is working fine? Would it prevent any potential problems in the future?

Thanks!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  10.    #50  
    I actually kept it charged via the charging cylinder, but the micro usb cable that it came with was broken and it stopped charging at some point. I just left it for a couple of months and it just drained completely. But hey, at least it's working now and I replaced the cable!

Thanks!
    Heaven to Betsy, if your other Touchpad is fine, please don't... the TpDebrick is to fix a corrupted circuit chipset... doing it to a working one might end up messing it up.

Out of my 3 Touchpad, only one had the issue, my regular one that I use the most never did. True that I don't let it die, but I'd only fix it if it needed to be fixed.

If it does corrupt in the future, messing with it now will not have changed that... the corruption appears to only happen when the battery run too low, and that's only of some of the Touchpad.

Just keep them charged, turn them off properly if you'll be storing them for a while. But like any device, leaving it in a box for a long time can result in the battery simply dying from non-use.
    I see a pattern...
    That makes sense! Thanks for the help.
    Hi Everyone,

I"m trying to repair my Touchpad but am getting the below errors, does anyone have a fix for this or an idea of how to resolve?

I've tried the TPDebrick v004 now with Ubunto 12.04 & 12.10 with Fastboot and DFU-UTIL manually installed but get the same error.

Thanks!

Executing file...
    Checking QDL mode...
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
    MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
    MSG: 0x00000000
    MSG: Error Status:
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    MSG: Open multi failed, unknown error
    ERROR: Open multi failed, unknown error
    Invalid openMulti response.
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.
  13.    #53  
    Are you certain that you installed the "Fastboot protocol CLI tool"?

For me this was the problem that kept giving me error messages until I figured it out.
    I see a pattern...
    imfallen_angel
    Any chance I could mail you a tablet so you could do your wizardry on it
    Quote Originally Posted by nc6000 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I"m trying to repair my Touchpad but am getting the below errors, does anyone have a fix for this or an idea of how to resolve?

I've tried the TPDebrick v004 now with Ubunto 12.04 & 12.10 with Fastboot and DFU-UTIL manually installed but get the same error.

Thanks!

Executing file...
    Checking QDL mode...
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
    MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
    MSG: Error Status:
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    MSG: Open multi failed, unknown error
    ERROR: Open multi failed, unknown error
    Invalid openMulti response.
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.
    I had the same issue and this is what worked for me. I posted this elsewhere, but to make it easy here it is. I hope it works for you. If you need the steps to rebuild the partition table, look here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover

Initially it was pretty grim because I could not even get into recovery mode and I had the blowing FAILED error. Once TPD did not work 2 or three times, I tried it again in on a PC running the latest 64 bit Ubuntu version and after running it I was successful enough that recovery mode worked again. I tried doctoring 3.0.5 then 3.0.0 without success - it fully completed but I only had the hp logo boot loop - and at this point I rebuilt the partitions and tried 3.0.5 again and lo and behold my TP was happy!

It took a little work and some of it was throw it all at the wall and see what sticks, but once again the TP's ability to come back from the dead was truly impressive. One other thing I did was to ensure my battery was fully charged as my first attempts it was pretty low.
    Last edited by joeytino; 03/22/2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Yes, there's a few threads about dead Touchpads and how they've been revived...

Mine took months, and so many trials and errors that I want to provide the info as so much was searched for, as no one as compiles a quick list.

My troubles... kids let the Touchpad die completely (didn't noticed that the Touchstone was unplugged), and it was DEAD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VARIOUS POSSIBLE WAYS TO GET IT GOING AGAIN:

1) I tried all the buttons combinations that are stated all over the threads:

Holding

Home button for 30 seconds
    Home and power for 30 seconds
    Home, volume up (or down) and power for 30 seconds
    Holding power and click home rapidly for 20-30 times/30 seconds
    Then just tried every possible other combination of the buttons, clicking multiple times, or holding them
    etc.

2) Then the attempts with various chargers, 0.5A, 0.75A, 1A, using my computer's USB, etc. leaving it for days on these chargers.

3) Then the plugging and unplugging rapidly... Spent a good hour doing it, then got a kid to do this while watching TV... still nothing. Again with the various chargers.

4) I went and got another battery, still nothing, aside the experience of opening the Touchpad up.

5) So then tried to let it sit and completely be dead and hope the charging circuit resets as some have mentioned working for them .. still nothing.

Edit (12/2014) In another thread, someone mentionned what worked for them: plugged in their Touchpad in a low power charger, held the central button down for hours using a grain of rice and a paper clip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The clue that there was something still happening was the holding the buttons while it was plugged in, I'd get the computer seeing a device, but not able to install the drivers.

The months passed....

Finally, I found the tpdebrick instructions... and summed up my courage and went at it again.

So... that lead to a lot of headaches.

Quick version, tried to install ubuntu 12.10 on my backup older machine... after two days, the best I got was in a virtual mode... no way to get it to connect to the USB ports correctly... (trust me, I said things that would make a sailor blush, one of the worst computer experiences of my life).

Then, grabbed a spare drive, removed all my drives from my "big" machine and decided to do a full install.

First.. I didn't realize that the download I had was a 32bit version of ubunt 12.10... so while I won't go in the details, the couple of hours I spent was all for nigh, and it's a good thing that I have adequate bandwidth for downloads late in the month. So I'll skip all the swearing I did trying to get this tpdebrick part to work, and more on to the fact that I went and got ubuntu 12.10 64bit version (which is where I am on now).

Then the error messages..., more searches... spent something like 6 hours going through everything.

So now the solution...

First... the solution IS here:

TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

NEW LINK FOR THE TPDEBRICK: Dev-Host - tpdebrick-v004.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

PLEASE FIND FULL DETAIL REWRITE OF INSTRUCTIONS BELOW: Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

What's missing is:

1) Get ubuntu 64bit 12.10 version
    Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

MAKE SURE that you get the 64 version (and have a computer that is 64bit capable)

2) The fastboot and such tools... (THIS is where I had to look every where for the solution, which is stupidly simple).

In ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

Install it.

Then go back to the instructions of rootzwiki....

I've spend hours looking and downloading so many things, so many large files....

I hope this helps others....

And good luck to all... if I was able to get my Touchpad going again... and thanks for all those that attempted to help in all those other threads.

/revised on the 11th of December 2013 so to include all the possible steps that I took prior to the TPDebrick in more details.
    Did everything in the instructions, got the all done message, and charged over night. No flashing light and won't turn on. What next?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashdroid23 View Post
    Did everything in the instructions, got the all done message, and charged over night. No flashing light and won't turn on. What next?
    New battery?

But give it a couple of days... maybe try a low power charger approach again.

If you plug it in computer, does it react at all?
    I see a pattern...
    I just developed the issue and I'm going to try to revive my TP but I wanted to chime in on the plug-unplug statements. On BlackBerrys (PlayBook), it is the ONLY method to get them back to life. Been there and done that.
    The playbook suffers from a similar issue ?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    So, it's not a simple ripoff, but very thorough and exact one
    T5, Clié NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Nexus7@LuneOS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast