Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Got it. Also discovered that Terminal is case sensitive!

Process ran through and I received a couple of FAILED messages!

Grrr
    I did get failed messages at first.

Then I found that I needed to install the fastboot tool:

In ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

If you haven't done this, it's not going to work, until you do.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I did get failed messages at first.

Then I found that I needed to install the fastboot tool:

In ubuntu, go to Software software center, look for android-tools, and you'll find Fastboot protocol CLI tool.

If you haven't done this, it's not going to work, until you do.
    Hi, yes, that was installed but not according to your instructions. I couldn't locate it on the Ubuntu Software centre. I searched Google and installed it via Terminal. Hope this is the same thing?

Any ideas?
    Thanks for these instructions.

I thought my Touchpad was totally dead and had tried all the button combinations without success. Last night I finally went through the TPDebrick process and it seems to have worked.

For me it worked on the 32 bit version of Ubuntu - i have it installed as the sole operating system on a little Toshiba netbook.

I had to go through the process about three times due to not having everything installed in the correct places, but in the final run I got the ALL DONE notification, plugged the tablet into the charger and the Home button started to flash - the first sign of life for months.

I left it on the charger all night and again this morning so it's probably had nine hours so far, which seems to be slower than some other people's experience. In the last few minuted the low battery symbol has appeared on the screen so hopefully it will actually boot up fairly soon.

So thank you again.

David
    Hobart
    Tasmania
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by a30guy View Post
    Thanks for these instructions.

I thought my Touchpad was totally dead and had tried all the button combinations without success. Last night I finally went through the TPDebrick process and it seems to have worked.

For me it worked on the 32 bit version of Ubuntu - i have it installed as the sole operating system on a little Toshiba netbook.

I had to go through the process about three times due to not having everything installed in the correct places, but in the final run I got the ALL DONE notification, plugged the tablet into the charger and the Home button started to flash - the first sign of life for months.

I left it on the charger all night and again this morning so it's probably had nine hours so far, which seems to be slower than some other people's experience. In the last few minuted the low battery symbol has appeared on the screen so hopefully it will actually boot up fairly soon.

So thank you again.

David
    Hobart
    Tasmania
    Glad to be of help!

With the new battery, my Touchpad came to life right away, when I swapped the original battery back in it (which was dead), it took a few minutes for the home button to light up, then switched it to the Touchstone, confirmed that I was seeing the home button doing it's glowing left to right thing, and a few hours (I forget how many but quite a few) before I got the battery icon. I left it overnight and in the morning it was almost fully charged... by the evening it was fully charged.

That you do have the low battery icon, it should be a good sign as this is a sign of actual life for the Touchpad. The only worry is that your battery is completely depleted, is dead beyond saving, and won't charge anymore.

If this is the case.. which you should confirm with Dr. Battery (Preware) as you might get it working while plugged in, then you`ll need to get a new battery which I found mine on eBay for about 40$.

Opening the Touchpad can be tricky until you've done it once and see how it`s built.

If you need instructions, let me know... but a quick version is:

You need to push a thin tool where the rubberized "gasket" around the screen at the proper locations, where the holding pins are. You need to push them correctly to prevent breaking them, and once you get one side, the screen will pull forward. Carefully as there's ribbon (and other) cables that aren't very long.

You unplug a few of these cables and you'll have the Touchpad fairly accessible.

To remove the battery without having to completely take it apart is doable, but you need to apply pressure to widen the gap where the battery plugs in, then pull the connector out. Then reverse the steps.

Otherwise, you need to continue taking the Touchpad apart to free the motherboard to access the socket that the battery plugs into.

There's these instructions that I used: HP TouchPad Battery Replacement - iFixit

The hardest part is getting those clips to unsnap, without breaking them.. it's doable as I never broken any (after opening my Touchpad a good 5-7 times during my ordeal.

For me, it was locating them by feel that I had trouble the first time, once I knew where they were, it was much easier.

Here's a graphic I did to explain the clips:
    http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...dgets/clip.jpg
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/12/2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  5.    #25  
    Hi, yes, that was installed but not according to your instructions. I couldn't locate it on the Ubuntu Software centre. I searched Google and installed it via Terminal. Hope this is the same thing?

Any ideas?
    It should have been the first of near top if you did a search. I would believe that as long as it installed properly, it should work...

As I stated, I'm far from being an Ubuntu pro, this was my first and only experience with Ubuntu, but from trial and error, I did manage to get it working, so there's hope so anyone.

If anything, I'd think that if you saved and install from the same folder that TPdebrick is in, that should be fine.

Having everything in the same place and executing them one after the other in proper order should get things working, at least, I'd believe.
    I see a pattern...
    Hi,

The link in step 3 asks for a credit card. I am not comfortable with that step.
    Is there any other way to get this zip file?

Thanks.
  7.    #27  
    Odd when I tried the link I don't recall a credit card request...

Try this link ...

http://d-h.st/NET

Or send me a message with an email or something and I'll see what I can do... the file is 13.3MB and not sure if uploading here will work.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/16/2013 at 12:51 AM.
    I see a pattern...
    Does anyone know if J. C. Cullins' tpdebrick will work with a Pre3? A couple of years ago one night I placed it on charge and in the morning awoke to discover a white question mark on the screen when turned on! Seems the same thing happened to that chip too. Obviously the battery was fine as I received the white question mark but no mainboard activity.

I live in hope as it's currently tucked away in a box.
  9.    #29  
    Does anyone know if J. C. Cullins' tpdebrick will work with a Pre3? A couple of years ago one night I placed it on charge and in the morning awoke to discover a white question mark on the screen when turned on! Seems the same thing happened to that chip too. Obviously the battery was fine as I received the white question mark but no mainboard activity.

I live in hope as it's currently tucked away in a box.
    I would not think so, I believe that the TPDebrick is written for a particular chip for the Touchpad.

Have you tried pulling the battery for a few minutes?

It could be either it wasn't charged right, or that the battery is dead.. if it's the original battery, it might have called it quits about a few years? Have you tried with another battery?
    I see a pattern...
    I would like to thank you for this thread, the extra work you put in for the Ubuntu distribution, and thank the other responders for their input too.

I had given up my HP TouchPad for dead months ago. I spent just a few hours with this thread and the original jcsullins RootzWiki page this afternoon during the first football game. Installed Ubuntu 12.04, something I always intended to do but had kept putting aside for reasons of sloth and laziness. Had to add the 'Fastboot CLI' manually with apt-get because the software center just would not find it for me. Also had to add dfu-util. So your extra tips helped a lot.

After that, the rest of the steps from jcsullins got me there, the first time. My TouchPad is back, including the version of Andriod I had installed on it.

I really appreciate the time and effort you all put in on this. Thank you, Thank you.

Regards,

Jim Dean,
    Ottawa, Canada
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dean View Post
    I would like to thank you for this thread, the extra work you put in for the Ubuntu distribution, and thank the other responders for their input too.

I had given up my HP TouchPad for dead months ago. I spent just a few hours with this thread and the original jcsullins RootzWiki page this afternoon during the first football game. Installed Ubuntu 12.04, something I always intended to do but had kept putting aside for reasons of sloth and laziness. Had to add the 'Fastboot CLI' manually with apt-get because the software center just would not find it for me. Also had to add dfu-util. So your extra tips helped a lot.

After that, the rest of the steps from jcsullins got me there, the first time. My TouchPad is back, including the version of Andriod I had installed on it.

I really appreciate the time and effort you all put in on this. Thank you, Thank you.

Regards,

Jim Dean,
    Ottawa, Canada
    No problem, as this site is very slow, I try to participate and keep things going as best I can with my limited knowledge, but anything I can share, I will share as I keep finding many unanswered questions.

BTW, very nice to know something around the corner (I'm also in Ottawa) which a shared interest in WebOs devices.
    I see a pattern...

I had given up my HP TouchPad for dead months ago. I spent just a few hours with this thread and the original jcsullins RootzWiki page this afternoon during the first football game. Installed Ubuntu 12.04, something I always intended to do but had kept putting aside for reasons of sloth and laziness. Had to add the 'Fastboot CLI' manually with apt-get because the software center just would not find it for me. Also had to add dfu-util. So your The The I tips helped a lot.

Regards,

Jim Dean,
    Ottawa, Canada

I would not think so, I believe that the TPDebrick is written for a particular chip for the Touchpad.

Have you tried pulling the battery for a few minutes?

It could be either it wasn't charged right, or that the battery is dead.. if it's the original battery, it might have called it quits about a few years? Have you tried with another battery?

Regards,

Jim Dean,
    Ottawa, Canada

No problem, as this site is very slow, I try to participate and keep things going as best I can with my limited knowledge, but anything I can share, I will share as I keep finding many unanswered questions.

BTW, very nice to know something around the corner (I'm also in Ottawa) which a shared interest in WebOs devices.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Erg. Sorry for that post guys. Must have happened somehow.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks imfallen _angel for all your help here. This took some time and your follow up back here is awesome.. I too have this problem and my only question is my TP has the flashing home button now, is there a chance it will charge back up?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by daver61 View Post
    Thanks imfallen _angel for all your help here. This took some time and your follow up back here is awesome.. I too have this problem and my only question is my TP has the flashing home button now, is there a chance it will charge back up?
    Usually that's a sign that the charging is happening. It can take a while as I've read that some took 48 hours before the screen came back to life (possibly with the battery icon).

So unless the battery is the problem and no longer taking a charge, give it a while, and you can try the other possible solutions, such as the resetting of the power cylinder (remove the plug section for a few seconds and re-snap together. Plugging the power from a computer and see what the computer does and if you can see the "USB drive" of the Touchpad.

The flashing light, for me was great news when my Touchpad did it's death thing, that was the first sign of life that if gave me after the TPdeBrick... and a few hours later, the screen was alive again.

But again... there is a chance that the problem might be the battery, which if you have a volt meter and are able to open your Touchpad and remove the battery to test it

Another thing that you can try is the removal of the battery for 30 seconds and reinsert, as this might reset things.

So many approaches, just keep trying.
    I see a pattern...
    Yes, there's a few threads about dead Touchpads and how they've been revived...

Mine took months, and so many trials and errors that I want to provide the info as so much was searched for, as no one as compiles a quick list.

My troubles... kids let the Touchpad die completely (didn't noticed that the Touchstone was unplugged), and it was DEAD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VARIOUS POSSIBLE WAYS TO GET IT GOING AGAIN:

1) I tried all the buttons combinations that are stated all over the threads:

Holding

Home button for 30 seconds
    Home and power for 30 seconds
    Home, volume up (or down) and power for 30 seconds
    Holding power and click home rapidly for 20-30 times/30 seconds
    Then just tried every possible other combination of the buttons, clicking multiple times, or holding them
    etc.

2) Then the attempts with various chargers, 0.5A, 0.75A, 1A, using my computer's USB, etc. leaving it for days on these chargers.

3) Then the plugging and unplugging rapidly... Spent a good hour doing it, then got a kid to do this while watching TV... still nothing. Again with the various chargers.

4) I went and got another battery, still nothing, aside the experience of opening the Touchpad up.

5) So then tried to let it sit and completely be dead and hope the charging circuit resets as some have mentioned working for them .. still nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The clue that there was something still happening was the holding the buttons while it was plugged in, I'd get the computer seeing a device, but not able to install the drivers.

The months passed....

Finally, I found the tpdebrick instructions... and summed up my courage and went at it again.

So... that lead to a lot of headaches.

Quick version, tried to install ubuntu 12.10 on my backup older machine... after two days, the best I got was in a virtual mode... no way to get it to connect to the USB ports correctly... (trust me, I said things that would make a sailor blush, one of the worst computer experiences of my life).

Then, grabbed a spare drive, removed all my drives from my "big" machine and decided to do a full install.

First.. I didn't realize that the download I had was a 32bit version of ubunt 12.10... so while I won't go in the details, the couple of hours I spent was all for nigh, and it's a good thing that I have adequate bandwidth for downloads late in the month. So I'll skip all the swearing I did trying to get this tpdebrick part to work, and more on to the fact that I went and got ubuntu 12.10 64bit version (which is where I am on now).

Then the error messages..., more searches... spent something like 6 hours going through everything.

So now the solution...

First... the solution IS here:

TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

NEW LINK FOR THE TPDEBRICK: Dev-Host - tpdebrick-v004.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

PLEASE FIND FULL DETAIL REWRITE OF INSTRUCTIONS BELOW: Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

What's missing is:

1) Get ubuntu 64bit 12.10 version
    Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

MAKE SURE that you get the 64 version (and have a computer that is 64bit capable)

2) The fastboot and such tools... (THIS is where I had to look every where for the solution, which is stupidly simple).

Install it.

Then go back to the instructions of rootzwiki....

I've spend hours looking and downloading so many things, so many large files....

I hope this helps others....

And good luck to all... if I was able to get my Touchpad going again... and thanks for all those that attempted to help in all those other threads.

/revised on the 11th of December 2013 so to include all the possible steps that I took prior to the TPDebrick in more details.
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all your information , but i have tried the tp debrick many times also tried discharging the battery over a few weeks.
    SO i have got the past the multi error many times and always get the all done message
    MY TP starts getting the blinking light so i put it on the hp touchpad charger and let it charge for like 1 day or so BUT wht happens all the time is that the blinking stops like after 5 hours or so on charge i DONT KNW y but this always happens so i debrick it again! and put it on charge again
    IT HAS NO SIGNS of life EXCEPT THE wired connection established and the A6 firmware and the blinking light sometimes

THE ONLY THING LEFT IS OPENING THE CASE AND CHANGING THE BATTERY
    i dont knw if the battery is spoilt how do i confirm this?? is there anyway to do it without opening the case?

**i have just put the touchpad currently on 700A charger for 5 days but there are no signs of life the back does get warm but tried different combinations of holding buttons no use

SHall i let it discharge for a few weeks and try again or let it sit on charge for longer

Thanks please reply
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by saleema s View Post

THE ONLY THING LEFT IS OPENING THE CASE AND CHANGING THE BATTERY
    i dont knw if the battery is spoilt how do i confirm this?? is there anyway to do it without opening the case?

**i have just put the touchpad currently on 700A charger for 5 days but there are no signs of life the back does get warm but tried different combinations of holding buttons no use

SHall i let it discharge for a few weeks and try again or let it sit on charge for longer

Thanks please reply
    Well, I guess that there only so many ways to find out what's the problem, and well.. process of elimination, first step is basically having to try another battery.

If the TPdeBrick were successful, then your charging module shouldn't be the issue unless it's burnt out/defective.

So... if you're ready to invest into a new battery, I'd just say to get one and do the switch. Either it'll work or it won't, I know for me, the original battery was dead, the new one didn't do anything either until I did the TPDebrick, at which point, the Touchpad was back to life right away as the new battery had a working charge. Once I established that the Touchpad worked, I replaced the original battery in it, confirmed that it was 100% dead, and did the moving light for about 1/2 hour before the screen came to life.

It did recharge fully after this, so I've now got a spare battery for when one of my Touchpads are ready to have one replaced.

So, a new battery would give you at least one answer, to which either it'll work, or you'll know that it's something else and work on that.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks again fallen Angel, mine must be dead completely, now I can not get it to do anything at all. I guess I will have to part it out and sell it off on Ebay, take me too long to get enough post to sell it here. Also notice not many parts for these sold on ebay, anyone know why that is?

Thanks again fallen for the time you take in response to this post...
    Well, I guess that there only so many ways to find out what's the problem, and well.. process of elimination, first step is basically having to try another battery.

If the TPdeBrick were successful, then your charging module shouldn't be the issue unless it's burnt out/defective.

So... if you're ready to invest into a new battery, I'd just say to get one and do the switch. Either it'll work or it won't, I know for me, the original battery was dead, the new one didn't do anything either until I did the TPDebrick, at which point, the Touchpad was back to life right away as the new battery had a working charge. Once I established that the Touchpad worked, I replaced the original battery in it, confirmed that it was 100% dead, and did the moving light for about 1/2 hour before the screen came to life.

It did recharge fully after this, so I've now got a spare battery for when one of my Touchpads are ready to have one replaced.

So, a new battery would give you at least one answer, to which either it'll work, or you'll know that it's something else and work on that.
    Thank you sooo much for your reply!! it means a lot to me , well i live in the united arab emirates it will be rather hard for me to get the battery but if its my last chance i dont know if i should invest in a new battery or a new tablet..
    lets see
    thanks again!!!!
    I had a question - if my Touchpad won't turn on at all and has no lights whatsoever, and is therefore not detected by Windows when I plug it in, is it still worth installing Ubuntu and trying this? Will the Touchpad get detected in Ubuntu even if it has no indications of being on or having any battery left?

Thanks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast