Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By user4574
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My father's Touchpad began giving a "No internet Connection" error yesterday. I have tried restarting wifi, the touchpad and ran diagnostics.

Here is what I have figured out so far. The pad sees the wifi in the house and identifies the network correctly. However the wifi prefence for detectinc wifi IP settings automatically are turned off. If I tried to eneter them manually it takes them but then resets itself when I go to connect and defaults back to empty.

I ran the touchpad self diagnostic and got backa warning saying a peice of hardware did not pass and gave me "WiFi error code 1000" it then told me to contact tech support (big help there ) .

I went to the trouble of trying to download WebOSDoctor onto my computer but that process failed. At no time did it register that the pad was even connected to the computer, either in USB mode or just connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Can you give us a step by step account pf what you did when you attempted to use the doctor.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    cannot create an account for my palm pre...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Can you give us a step by step account pf what you did when you attempted to use the doctor.
    I went to the website and made sure I had Java installed. Java 6. Then downloaded the webosdoctor. It downloaded and installed with the Java system fine. However when I ran webosdoctor it told me to connect my device. I connected the touchpad using the USB and told it to run as a USB. Webosdoctor did not detect it. I then attached it where is was not a USB, still no detection.

Is it possible it needs to be in developer mode and if so what is the process for turning it on?

Thnaks
    Quote Originally Posted by user4574 View Post
    I went to the website and made sure I had Java installed. Java 6. Then downloaded the webosdoctor. It downloaded and installed with the Java system fine. However when I ran webosdoctor it told me to connect my device. I connected the touchpad using the USB and told it to run as a USB. Webosdoctor did not detect it. I then attached it where is was not a USB, still no detection.

Is it possible it needs to be in developer mode and if so what is the process for turning it on?

Thnaks
    turn the device off, now while the device is fully off - hold down both the power button and volume up (or volume down i forget which ways which) , keep hold of those buttons until you will get a USB icon on a black screen (if you dont and the system boots as usual, you held the wrong volume button, try the other).

now with that icon onscreen (and everything cabled up ofc), try the doctor again, it should work, you cant doctor from within webOS, you must use the method above.

also "developer" mode is typically used to install preware, this IS done inside webOS, but again you would not enter usb mode, it would be left on "just charge". "normal" devmode being turned on by going to the "just type" search bar and entering the word "webos20090606", dont press return, just click the new developer mode icon that gets listed, turn it ON or OFF, and dont use/touch/change any password related stuff.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Okay, Thanks for the info but the thing crashed. While "Checking system" I got a Microsoft error message saying System Information encountered an error and had to close. When I closed the window WebOS Doctor tells me to connect a device. I am running Windows XP Pro
    Okay, Thanks for the info but the thing crashed. While "Checking system" I got a Microsoft error message saying System Information encountered an error and had to close. When I closed the window WebOS Doctor tells me to connect a device. I am running Windows XP Pro
    then you have a problem with the software on your windows system or your windows setup in general, also you said again that it tells you to connect a device, did you actually switch off and power on in the method i mentioned earlier?

if you did then ittl be either your windows system is basically stuffed (try someone elses system or a different machine) or maybe your java or novacom setup is broken.

either way lets just make sure your device is actually in the correct state for doctoring first, so did you power on holding power + the right volume button?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I powered on as you directed and the computer recognized the connection this time as did the webosdoctor software.

I will also try it from the desktop system in the house to see if it may just be this computer.

Thanks
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I powered on as you directed and the computer recognized the connection this time as did the webosdoctor software.

I will also try it from the desktop system in the house to see if it may just be this computer.

Thanks
    Thanks. It's working

Got the software working on another PC and reset the Touchpad successfully. The WiFi is up and running again now. Thanks so much for the guidance.
    at least you have a better idea of what to do should you have to doctor the device again, and that you were able to resolve the issue in the end.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    IIRC, the "Wifi 1000" error code meant the test was run with the wifi radio turned off...

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    For future reference: make sure your router is on channel 2. Saved me a trip to the Doctor.
    Glad to hear that you got it working, but I have to say that I've had similar situations, and normally, if the device sees the WIFI network and simply can't link to the internet, it's usually the router that's being stupid and having trouble providing a proper IP address to the device...

I just reboot the device and the router, and it works every time until the IP expires and time to reboot it (the router) again. (but it happens once in a blue moon)

One way to prevent this is to lock all devices on the WIFI to a manual IP (linking the IP to the MAC), but if the router stalls, it'll need a reboot regardless.

Best way to see if it`s your Touchpad... try using another router... ask a neighbor, a friend, at work, or go to a free internet public location, or turn your phone`s hotspot on. If you get internet, then you've confirmed that it's the router that's the problem.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Best way to see if it`s your Touchpad... try using another router... ask a neighbor, a friend, at work, or go to a free internet public location, or turn your phone`s hotspot on. If you get internet, then you've confirmed that it's the router that's the problem.
    can always tether to a phone as well.
    psst... I mentioned it..

"or turn your phone`s hotspot on"
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    psst... I mentioned it..

"or turn your phone`s hotspot on"
    its old age creeping in, dont worry.

/me zimmers away.