Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ventus221
  1.    #1  
    I just turned on my Touch Pad and I just realized that over 85-90% of the software on WebOS, Android and Linux are all either Alpha or Pre-Alpha software. It's amazing to me just my Touch Pad is so fundamentally unstable yet works perfectly. I think it's an oddity but something really cool.

WebOS: Luna C.E, F15C eagle Kernel, Preware 2 Pre-Alpha, and many other patches and tweaks and applications.

Android: 4.2.1 Pre-Alpha which was the Classic Nerd Teams first build!!!

Linux: Arch Linux Arm Alpha 2: With Gui etc.

I feel that its bizarre but something very cool that are platform has
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Beta and some alpha, you mean? I don't think prealpha software is very stable.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Well, in a sense all software today is alpha software based on the amount of testing it gets before being shoved out to users. (not that I'm complaining if it's free!)

I would liken the process of creating software in the era of interactive debugging to the process of building a bridge across a chasm by trial and error while standing on it. You start at one side, build a bit, test it by walking out onto it. If it doesn't collapse, you build a bit more out from there, and so on until you reach some point the other side. You then pronounce the bridge built and ready for other traffic to test it - regardless of how rickety and crazy the construction is, and the slim prospects of others making it successfully across. In other words, it's like alpha-test software built with the help of an interactive debugger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Well, in a sense all software today is alpha software based on the amount of testing it gets before being shoved out to users. (not that I'm complaining if it's free!)

I would liken the process of creating software in the era of interactive debugging to the process of building a bridge across a chasm by trial and error while standing on it. You start at one side, build a bit, test it by walking out onto it. If it doesn't collapse, you build a bit more out from there, and so on until you reach some point the other side. You then pronounce the bridge built and ready for other traffic to test it - regardless of how rickety and crazy the construction is, and the slim prospects of others making it successfully across. In other words, it's like alpha-test software built with the help of an interactive debugger.
    aye, even a lot of PC games end up playable en-mass in alpha/beta stages before going fully live.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5.    #5  
    See Arma 3 :/.......I spawned as a seagull......anyway What are you guys using that may fall into that category?
  6.    #6  
    Also in regards to Pre-Alpha builds....its more of a lack of features and stability over Alpha. Alpha is pretty stable and is less prone to disastrous crashes and device wipes as opposed to Pre- Alpha builds.