Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    I am really panicking now. I was browsing across a number of tabs and when I switched back to one of them, it directs me to a page which I have never seen before! It is worddictionary.co.UK.. I checked my history and realized that it first went to a skooble site (singing taco), then visited dsparking dot com before ending at that worddictionary site. I never though that this would occur on my touchpad! Help me please.. I am so close to tears! :'(

this is the first and only time that I have seen this, it is not recurring. The last time I installed a third party ipk was more than a year ago. I suppose this discovery of a redirect browser virus exposes my device to malware like keyloggers? And it also means that other malware can also easily embed itself? Thjs is so surprising because PCs are usually so much more complex, no? It's almost six in the ,morning and I am still thinking of this,, sigh...
    Last edited by pollenseed; 03/23/2013 at 07:11 AM.
    I have never seen this behavior. But what I would do is go to settings on browser and clear history, clear cache.

Then I would follow ncinerate's instructions to put some security on your touchpad in the getting started sticky (I coped those instructions below).

If that doesn't work, then you can always doctor your touchpad and start afresh, just leave a few hours for the process.

"While you're at it fixing "security issues", take a second to load up your touchpad web browser and surf to:

https://settings.adobe.com/flashplayer/mobile/

Tap on local storage. From there, you can manage your flash player privacy settings. At the -very- least you should use the "only from the sites I visit" setting to help prevent your flash player from assisting websites in tracking your surfing habits. Personally, I just turn the local data storage off. Yeah, it means I might need to adjust my volume next time I'm using youtube but I feel better without flash cookies watching me surf the web.

Last but certainly not least, lets get a proper SSL secure and -encrypted- google search added to keep our queries nice and private.

Open up the touchpad browser once again and surf to:

OpenSearch Entries

Pick the touchpad google SSL, wait about 5 seconds, and a little popup will appear at the top of your screen saying "new search engine found". Add the search engine, and then set it as the default search engine for your "just type". You can change this while adding the engine, or if you've went past that just go into your launcher, tap settings, select "just type" and there is a spot there to change your default search engine."

========================================================
    Meh. It's probably some random sites you visited that's redirecting all over the place. Common on Twitter links. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you know where you're clicking and be able to judge whether the link you're about to click is safe or not.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Meh. It's probably some random sites you visited that's redirecting all over the place. Common on Twitter links. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you know where you're clicking and be able to judge whether the link you're about to click is safe or not.
    Or some stupid ad redirected the browser, or you accidentally clicked an ad.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Yea, the ads that pop up and redirect a few times are common, not really dangerous, just annoying. It was probably just one of the sites you visited previously, go to click something but accedently hit a ad that caused a new tap to open and company incharge of the ad posting cycled through a few sites before stopping.

I would not worry to much about the touchpad, but if you have an anti virus software for pc, most will allow you to scan device when plugged in to the pc. Kaspercky always allowed me to scan plugged in devices. This will prevent it from transferring to your pc.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers