Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    From the discussion started in this thread: The PSP emulator for WebOS is coming soon!
    Lemanho (the guy who has friends with garage full of Touchpad ) and Desmond.du reported a weibo post from Chomper_T (known for JVM for webOS, Android on card..) successfully ported Open webOS to the Touchpad:

Here are the informations we have so far:

It's running Linux kernel 2.6.35
    It's running on chroot inside webos 3.0.5 (but he said making a native install should be easy)
    It's running with hardware acceleration
    Isis browser is working
    He didn't find any frameworks for camera & BT in openwebos, wifi is not working yet but the infrastructure is there
    He's working alone on his spare time on that and right now he's very busy with his normal work
    He may share his work with the community
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 03/22/2013 at 12:07 PM.
    MAMISHO and Rnp like this.
    Can feel Chomper_T working hard in the day time and lost job right now. He is 28-30 years now and living in ShenZheng city. (Feel it in his Weibo).
    Should we support and donate him to finish great job in full time ???
    Forget HP.Forget LG...Trust us.
    I don't mind donating.

Historically, the webOs community has been generous in donations so what webos internals sometimes does is to finish the job and then ask for contributions; if chomper had something ready (alpha, beta), I'm pretty sure people would step up and donate.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Can feel Chomper_T working hard in the day time and lost job right now. He is 28-30 years now and living in ShenZheng city. (Feel it in his Weibo).
    Should we support and donate him to finish great job in full time ???
    Forget HP.Forget LG...Trust us.
    I understand he has priorities regarding family and stuff and don't meant to put pressure on him. But I know that webOS family has always show love for it few devs. So if he can somehow show his work on progress on some "homebrew official" circuit like this forum or webos-internals/ports , the community will be a great support for him. Not to replace a high qualified engineer full time job, but at least he will get some reward for his hard working.
    Take the self-photo from Chomper 's weibo. Keep working....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    geekpeter, Rnp and MAMISHO like this.
    man..if he can get the open os running on TP...he can probably get it running on a Nexus..or something similar...

then there would be a huge interest..finally we can get the OWOS into a upto date phone...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    man..if he can get the open os running on TP...he can probably get it running on a Nexus..or something similar...

then there would be a huge interest..finally we can get the OWOS into a upto date phone...
    Open webOS already runs on GNexus and Nexus7, and with the full release of binaries for Nexus 4, I guess It shouldn't be impossible. The problem is that resources are quite limited, so until webos-ports finished with the current targets, they are not adding any new one.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Take the self-photo from Chomper 's weibo. Keep working....
    I saw you've chatted with Chomper. Did you ask him if he'd consider getting closer to the community? This way people happy of his contributions(JVM for webOS, Mplayer, PSP emulator...) can reward him in one way or another.
    Also if he's aware of webos-ports efforts and if he'd consider a collaboration. I saw he has a git repo for the ppsspp if he has others public reps...
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLastAccountWasBanned View Post
    spammer quote removed
    if you look back far enough the same thing was said about his android in a card project, loads said it was bs, till people got to try it themselves and some of the older precentral people pointed out chomper aint no bs'er.

EDIT: heres a link to just the first search i found on the matter, and yeah ppl not far down say its bollocks and/or malware.
    test IPK released--Android on TouchPad: as a special applicaiton.

which ofc it isnt/wasnt/never is, there was plenty of other posts of pretty much similar content tho.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/23/2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I had touchpads with andriod 2.2.1/2.3.3/2.3.4. There are running as same as chomper.app.android_0.1.0_all.ipk. ...(Same home page.same apps....).
    Don't push him and trust him. He will do it but need more time....
    Tell him we Trust him and are fine to wait

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Kickstarter?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkos View Post
    Kickstarter?
    good idea if you need funds for something, tho it doesnt make a devs job/irl situation change unfortunatly.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    if you look back far enough the same thing was said about his android in a card project, loads said it was bs, till people got to try it themselves and some of the older precentral people pointed out chomper aint no bs'er.

EDIT: heres a link to just the first search i found on the matter, and yeah ppl not far down say its bollocks and/or malware.
    test IPK released--Android on TouchPad: as a special applicaiton.

which ofc it isnt/wasnt/never is, there was plenty of other posts of pretty much similar content tho.
    Chomper is a legit experienced webOS dev.

WebOS Internals / WebOS Ports would love to collaborate with him, but have never been able to find a way to do so in the past, mainly cause most of us are typical western one-language-only speakers (i.e. our deficiency, not his), but also because it seemed at first inspection that some of his releases included copyright material, so we were unable to redistribute it legally.

If I remember back to the thread you reference above, I had concerns about the way the work was packaged (it did not have a robust uninstall method), but the actual contents of the package itself were always impressive work).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/23/2013 at 07:41 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    T-Pad, geekpeter, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    if lemanho or someone else can be the translator, I'm willing to kick in funds for you all to have a hacking session via Skype, if you think that would be useful.
    Wow......I love the fact that we can almost run Open WebOS on the TOuchpad
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Wow......I love the fact that we can almost run Open WebOS on the TOuchpad
    I look forward to it, really look forward to it.
    When it hits the WebOS front page then ill consider this something that is happening
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    This is what I think...if we're all very serious about getting open webos into a device in working condition. At the end it's all about time and effort of development to put in the codes for the relevant opensource drivers, source code for other deficient areas, graphics acceleration, how to connect to HP profile natively, synergy??. Lets put up a list, and the question is that IF we pay someone(s) to develop it to be viable. How much time would it take and how much would it cost.

Then as a community we work out who or a team of people to take the lead and do it. When the so called 'final' product is out which is still open sourced, do the model of redhat for support services to provide ongoing support for the Open webos variant for that particular phone model.

Only the developers can tell us estimated mandays effort and time to get the pieces going, so as a 'user', I can only see in exasperation, but if the community believes in it..then possible we 'fund it". And funding is only possible of people take ownership of the development. And at the end of the development - we the users who fund get the running Webos for a particular phone model to use. etc etc...
    Feasible? at the end it's $$..which is possible no?

Say for example...
    1. Getting the Open Webos On Nexus - with graphic acceleration, radio, wifi, integration with HP profile, synergy type features? How much effort, how long and duration, is it 1000 mandays sufficient?
    If we can each chip in 100USD and have 2000 member sponsor this so that at the end they get first dibs into the developed image is this feasible? Just throwing numbers around - an experienced webos developer will have better idea of feasibility.
    Last edited by daexpression; 03/25/2013 at 04:26 AM.
    take a look at webos-ports.org.
    a very dedicated and talented group has been steadily making progress on getting open webOS on new devices.

What is exciting about this thread is getting openWebOS on the TouchPad, still a very capable device, and no reason to end-of-life it , heck the xda people are using it one of their tablets of choice for their current android porting efforts.

Somewhere there are mounds and mounds of discarded electronics polluting our planet; if we can extend what we have, we will be contributing positively.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast