Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
    Attaching a short video from Chopmer's threads from treo8 on July 08 2011. It call "Webos For PC".
    Sorry. this is chinese page.......
    WebOS 3.0 for PC
    or:Webos for PC - webOS: Palm Pre,pre3,Pixi,veer -
    geekpeter likes this.
    great video I hope for some day webos can be run in any device without any off the complications

long live webos
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Chomper is a legit experienced webOS dev.

WebOS Internals / WebOS Ports would love to collaborate with him, but have never been able to find a way to do so in the past, mainly cause most of us are typical western one-language-only speakers (i.e. our deficiency, not his), but also because it seemed at first inspection that some of his releases included copyright material, so we were unable to redistribute it legally.

If I remember back to the thread you reference above, I had concerns about the way the work was packaged (it did not have a robust uninstall method), but the actual contents of the package itself were always impressive work).

-- Rod
    Slightly off Topic but:

Rod, did you ever thought to start a commercial project with webOS/owOS?
    I know you're full busy with your professional activities but after been playing with webOS for so long, you never felt the need to take the plunge and bring webOS to the mass (beside homebrew)?
    If some ex Palm staff and homebrew enthusiasts want to make a move a la Jolla, would you lead such effort?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Slightly off Topic but:

I know you're full busy with your professional activities but after been playing with webOS for so long, you never felt the need to take the plunge and bring webOS to the mass (beside homebrew)?
    If some ex Palm staff and homebrew enthusiasts want to make a move a la Jolla, would you lead such effort?

Thank you.
    Hope I'm not off base chiming in for Rod here, open webOS is "open source" and what remains of legacy webOS just got snapped up by LG. Sooooo.

Don't think there's anything left to commercialize, other than app development which the folks at webOS Internals and webOS ports continue to support wholeheartedly, even if we're not seeing much of anything show up in the app catalog these days. Gotta remember, There's not much profitability marketing app software to a dwindling user base ......

TTB

p.s. on the other hand, if HP and LG were to decide to go mobile with legacy webOS again (hahahahahahaha), then there could be good reason for someone to jump on board with for profit projects again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Hope I'm not off base chiming in for Rod here, open webOS is "open source" and what remains of legacy webOS just got snapped up by LG. Sooooo.

Don't think there's anything left to commercialize, other than app development which the folks at webOS Internals and webOS ports continue to support wholeheartedly, even if we're not seeing much of anything show up in the app catalog these days. Gotta remember, There's not much profitability marketing app software to a dwindling user base ......

TTB

p.s. on the other hand, if HP and LG were to decide to go mobile with legacy webOS again (hahahahahahaha), then there could be good reason for someone to jump on board with for profit projects again.
    I was referring mostly to hardware. And open source doesn't mean It can't be commercialize. Sailfish OS is based on Meego which as far as I know is open source. There are still some niche markets that can be filled by alternative mobile platforms.
    And my interrogation intended to get Rod's feeling from all those years playing with webOS as a hobby: If he thinks webOS in the good hands could have been a success or if it will stay as tech enthusiast's playground.
    I was referring mostly to hardware. And open source doesn't mean It can't be commercialize. Sailfish OS is based on Meego which as far as I know is open source. There are still some niche markets that can be filled by alternative mobile platforms.
    And my interrogation intended to get Rod's feeling from all those years playing with webOS as a hobby: If he thinks webOS in the good hands could have been a success or if it will stay as tech enthusiast's playground.
    unrealistic expectations tbh, yeah the mans a community legend but its a bit overkill pinning that much expectations on 1 person, imho leave him to do what he does best when he has time, hes done pretty damned well so far doing exactly that.

expecting more is a bit ......... well i dunno how to end that sentance without making it sounds insulting, but no-one should have that much pushed on them esp when they have already done so much.

remember devs arent godlike people with no life, they have their own issues/problems/life, i dont think theres a single dev here thats totally carefree and full of free time to spend on their hobby projects.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RE: "interrogation" - I have a problem with this word. Rod isn't a suspect wanted for questioning by law enforcement! He deserves and gets the utmost in respect from members of our community.

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    unrealistic expectations tbh, yeah the mans a community legend but its a bit overkill pinning that much expectations on 1 person, imho leave him to do what he does best when he has time, hes done pretty damned well so far doing exactly that.

expecting more is a bit ......... well i dunno how to end that sentance without making it sounds insulting, but no-one should have that much pushed on them esp when they have already done so much.

remember devs arent godlike people with no life, they have their own issues/problems/life, i dont think theres a single dev here thats totally carefree and full of free time to spend on their hobby projects.
    geekpeter, Thank you, words that coundn't have been said better!
    oh, btw - you don't need to worry about insulting Vity Traff, I probably just took care of that, see above.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  8.    #28  

Where Did you see expectations? Where did I put anything on him or some one else? God people just learn to read. I explicitly said I wanted to have his feelings, not you misinterpreting my words.
    You know I'm platform agnostic and not a desperate webOS "fan".
    We're in a discussion board I wanted to have someone who dedicated a huge part of his time to that platform about it.
    I'm more interested, in the palm legacy, what could have bee, how this will eventually end.
    I never put a gun on anyone's head to set up a webOS start up.
  9.    #29  
    RE: "interrogation" - I have a problem with this word. Rod isn't a suspect wanted for questioning by law enforcement! He deserves and gets the utmost in respect from members of our community.

geekpeter, Thank you, words that coundn't have been said better!
    oh, btw - you don't need to worry about insulting Vity Traff, I probably just took care of that, see above.

TTB
    Barry
    I always respect everyone and specially Rod on this board. So just do the same. He shouldn't care about insulting me? Really?
    Interrogations as my questions (thought in one language, wrote in another one)
    And once again my questions were not for you, just move on please.
    Where Did you see expectations? Where did I put anything on him or some one else? God people just learn to read. I explicitly said I wanted to have his feelings, not you misinterpreting my words.
    You know I'm platform agnostic and not a desperate webOS "fan".
    We're in a discussion board I wanted to have someone who dedicated a huge part of his time to that platform about it.
    I'm more interested, in the palm legacy, what could have bee, how this will eventually end.
    I never put a gun on anyone's head to set up a webOS start up.
    There's usually guns present during an interrogation .....

btw I'm out - this dialogue has gone too far already
  11.    #31  
    There's usually guns present during an interrogation .....

btw I'm out - this dialogue has gone too far already
    Get a life
    Get a life
    excuse me? now should I be the one who's insulted?? NOT!!

this has become quite funny.

now I'm truly out ....... Have fun
    Interrogations as my questions (thought in one language, wrote in another one)
    It's clear there is a difference in native language here, and no offence is intended or taken.

Note that the question mark was originally known as the punctus interrogativus in the late 8th century. It's only later in history (and only in some countries) that the word interrogation has taken on a much more sinister meaning.

The world would be a much better place if everyone realised there is always a difference between the meaning transmitted and the meaning received...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/30/2013 at 08:04 PM.
  14.    #34  
    It's clear there is a difference in native language here, and no offence is intended or taken.

Note that the question mark was originally known as the punctus interrogativus in the late 8th century. It's only later in history (and only in some countries) that the word has taken on a much more sinister meaning.

The world would be a much better place if everyone realised there is always a difference between the meaning transmitted and the meaning received...

-- Rod
    And it's funny in some languages, it's "question" that can have a sinister connotation. In the Middle age, "La question" was French for torture.
    Where Did you see expectations?
    probably the parts where you said...

"would you lead such effort?"
    "did you ever thought to start a commercial project with webOS/owOS"
    "you never felt the need to take the plunge and bring webOS to the mass (beside homebrew)?"

maybe i just read those bits in the wrong way and assumed the wrong thing but to me it sounded like you were asking for way more than he could ever possibly cope with when he barely has the time to do the large contributions he has already.

its probably just me tho, i mean im more than grateful for what i have now in large because of rod, i dont think i could personally ask for something of that scope, id maybe ask about an app update, app feature and the likes but what you asked for seemed beyond immense.

dont take what i say the wrong way tho, like i said, maybe its the way you wrote it, and maybe its the way i read it, but ill stop here if its just gonna invite problems, no one persons right about anything and this is supposed to be a forum for differing opinions on multiple topics.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  16.    #36  
    probably the parts where you said...

"would you lead such effort?"
    "did you ever thought to start a commercial project with webOS/owOS"
    "you never felt the need to take the plunge and bring webOS to the mass (beside homebrew)?"

maybe i just read those bits in the wrong way and assumed the wrong thing but to me it sounded like you were asking for way more than he could ever possibly cope with when he barely has the time to do the large contributions he has already.

its probably just me tho, i mean im more than grateful for what i have now in large because of rod, i dont think i could personally ask for something of that scope, id maybe ask about an app update, app feature and the likes but what you asked for seemed beyond immense.

dont take what i say the wrong way tho, like i said, maybe its the way you wrote it, and maybe its the way i read it, but ill stop here if its just gonna invite problems, no one persons right about anything and this is supposed to be a forum for differing opinions on multiple topics.
    "If" "If" "If"....And I also talked about ex palm staff, as far as I know there's not even one ex palm employee willing to start a webOS business. So were're not even talking about realistic projects here.
    See my records, I never asked for update, push dev to release app or anything, or complain about something. I asked him about his feelings and thoughts because I'm following Jolla mobile and wondering about their chance of success. Last year I've made a research about small players in the tech domain, hence my interest.
    As I said before even tough I have much sympathy for Palm/webOS, I'm open to other platforms. So webOS not surviving is not the end of the world for me (we're talking about mobile devices, not human lives).
    I don't have any problem with your post (except this part well i dunno how to end that sentence without making it sounds insulting).
    Barry in the other hand, well he should just learn how to deal with his inherent frustrations..
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 03/30/2013 at 07:08 PM.
    To be realistic, the answers are no, no and no.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18.    #38  
    To be realistic, the answers are no, no and no.

-- Rod
    Than you!

Very clear (like always )
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12