1.    #1  
    I bought a touchpad on ebay a few weeks ago (great device). I just noticed over the weekend that there's a slider that comes almost all of the way out on the same side as the volume rocker. The slider won't come all the way out (I've exerted quite a bit of force but didn't want to break it) and has the serial number and part number listed on it.

What is this for?
    It's the SIM tray. I think the actual SIM tray hardware is there, but it's not hooked up to anything.
    I thought it just hides the FCC certification info that is mandated to be printed on the product. On phones its normally under the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It's the SIM tray. I think the actual SIM tray hardware is there, but it's not hooked up to anything.
    Indeed. It would be awesome if someone would figure out a way to connect it. I mean, there were several people here that succesfully detached and reattached the plastic casing. So if you can do that successfully than you can also access the sim hardware because that's also behind the plastic.
    Well, there's not a lot of point to it if there's no modem to use the SIM with... unless you want to build yourself a SIM reader. In any case, the tray's not shaped right, so you can't actually insert a SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Indeed. It would be awesome if someone would figure out a way to connect it. I mean, there were several people here that succesfully detached and reattached the plastic casing. So if you can do that successfully than you can also access the sim hardware because that's also behind the plastic.

HP seem to have obviously just used the same case format/mold for the Wif-only TP, as they did for the '4G' TP.
    The latter has a totally different Motherboard and Hardwrae scheme, that includes GPS/Radio Card and the necessary wired in SIM-capable h'ware/tray.

~*~
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/20/2013 at 12:01 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    The GPS and cellular modem are part of the CPU system on chip in the 4GTP. Basically the 4G TP uses an Qualcomm MSM processor and the regular TP uses a cheaper APQ chip. So regardless of weather you can get a sim in or not you can't get the modem to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    The GPS and cellular modem are part of the CPU system on chip in the 4GTP. Basically the 4G TP uses an Qualcomm MSM processor and the regular TP uses a cheaper APQ chip. So regardless of weather you can get a sim in or not you can't get the modem to work.
    Yes.. because there isn't one!
    At the least, the 4G uses an Ericsson removable mini express style Radio/GPS card as standard.. Sierra LTE upgrade possible too.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Well, there's not a lot of point to it if there's no modem to use the SIM with... unless you want to build yourself a SIM reader. In any case, the tray's not shaped right, so you can't actually insert a SIM card.
    Not true. My SIM card fits perfectly in it even though it doesn't get recognized due to the lack of a modem.

But yeah, it seems we're lacking a modem. Would be nice if we could create that somehow and attach it in there.
    I've never managed to get a standard SIM to fit. But really, what's the point if it's not connected?

Check this photo and the two after it. There's a row of solder pads, probably to attach a ribbon to, but it's loose. Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: Removing the SIM card slot screws | 37 of 74
    The 4G SIM tray also has a slightly deeper card-recess evident in it and the top right corner of that recess is also slightly shamferred to accept the 'cut off' corner of the standard SIM. There is also a well inside the top edge of the tray to allow such as a fingernail to then get under the top edge of the card itself to facilitate removal..
    Really, the Wifi-only SIM tray is but a 'dummy' in these respects.

~*~

Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Would be nice if we could create that somehow and attach it in there.
    HP already did!
    As already stated, the 4G Main Board is necessarily and utterly Radio/Modem/GPS specific and unique to that model.
    You could probably even buy a new 4G TP for around $280 - which sounds a lot, I know..
    but really is probably little more than a new 32gb Wifi-only unit + the price of a decent separate Wifi/modem
    Hotspot module to go with it?
    RARE HP Touchpad 4G 32GB 1 5 GHz at T WiFi New SEALED Tablet Case Unlocked 805931099839 | eBay
    Anyway - it is at least a workable option still!!
    Swings and Roundabouts.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/21/2013 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. because there isn't one!
    At the least, the 4G uses an Ericsson removable mini express style Radio/GPS card as standard.. Sierra LTE upgrade possible too.
    I wanted to do this upgrade. I got a MC7710 (European version of MC7700) which is supposed to work too. I got it working in CM10 thanks to guys of this forum, but cannot get it to work under webOS 3.0.5.

Symptoms: No bars, no carrier name, no info in Device info, no GPS, no App Catalog, no Device Profile in Impostah. It gets initialized though while booting, so I suspect HP might do some checking on IMEI on their server somehow. I tried "Device Profile Override" but without luck so far....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I wanted to do this upgrade. I got a MC7710 (European version of MC7700) which is supposed to work too. I got it working in CM10 thanks to guys of this forum, but cannot get it to work under webOS 3.0.5.

Symptoms: No bars, no carrier name, no info in Device info, no GPS, no App Catalog, no Device Profile in Impostah. It gets initialized though while booting, so I suspect HP might do some checking on IMEI on their server somehow. I tried "Device Profile Override" but without luck so far....
    I wonder if it would be possible it put an internal USB hub and replace the SIM reader with an SD reader. Probably need the OTG Homebrew too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Yes.. webOS 3.0.5 seems to already only carry the full drivers for the Sierra 7700 card (presumably the US 'version' - and thereby the Geographical limit of HP's conscious awareness!!! ).. maybe this can be successfully addressed to encompass more of a digital 'World View', now that it has been Open Sourced?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/22/2013 at 07:11 AM.