webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Unusual Touchpad Blue Shell
Unusual Touchpad Blue Shell
Like Tree31Likes

Old 03/08/2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just got my hands on, what I consider, an unusual touchpad. The shell/case is a medium to dark blue. I've only ever seen black shelled TP's. It is also missing the sim card pop out tray. I was under the impression that ALL TouchPads have this, and those that are 3G have the additional hardware in the tray to except the sim card to make it functional. It came with webOS 3.04, not an ancient version, but generally most people have updated to 3.05. This purchase came with an HP keyboard. When I popped open the battery compartment, instead of seeing product sticker with serial number and such, I see a sticker that says 'EVT2 Chicony' Sample (US) S/N 142.
So I have my thoughts on this, but wanted to see if I have anything different by posting. Pictures to come once I get some feedback.

Blacky133
dcleveng33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Pilotovef, renater, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
Old 03/08/2013, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Battery compartment?

Could be a special promo TouchPad for some event.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

So here are a few pictures. The 'Battery Compartment' in my original post refers to the HP Wireless Keyboard. I've included my original in the pic to compare the labels.

As a side note, this Touchpad works fine. It has very little wear, a small pea sized scuff on the back. I did have to 'trickle' charge it to bring it back to life, so must have been stored for a while. Left it charging over night, and it booted up after about 12 hours. Continues to charge for another 8 hours and it now holds a charge without issue. I've updated it to 3.05. I was hoping that, like the white TP's, this might have been a European 64gb device, but no luck. It's a 32gb.
I'm just enjoying it, considering I didn't know anything except for the Black shell on my other Touchpad. I think a little color adds some character to it.

Blacky133
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPCompare2.jpg (204.9 KB, 222 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg TPCompare.jpg (202.9 KB, 184 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg BlueHPTouchPad.jpg (209.6 KB, 188 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg HPBTKeyboard.jpg (231.4 KB, 188 views) Email Attachment
Liked by xandros9, kevets, Rookie4sho and 8 others like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 03/08/2013, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd guess it's a concept. Chicony may be the manufacturer, so it's likely that this device was a prototype of sorts. Can you take a screenshot of the Device Info app? Any unusual apps on there?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 03/09/2013, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mother of God, how much else amazing devices were ruined by damn Apotheker?

Last edited by Pilotovef; 03/09/2013 at 09:19 AM.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, geekpeter and Joseph Palmer like this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/09/2013, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice! But yes, like the commenter above, this will just cause more rage for the "what webOS could have been" crowd.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by scjjtt likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/09/2013, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Awesome for you!!! Great find and thanks for the pics.

On the BT KB, maybe chicony is the model name during development?
https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Awesome for you!!! Great find and thanks for the pics.

On the BT KB, maybe chicony is the model name during development?
https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks, I'm loving it! I thought it was to good to be true when I saw this, but it's all real, a Touchpad that's not Black or White. I'm guessing an early production sample. Just not sure why we haven't seen more, or maybe even different colors.

BTW-
'Chicony' is a manufacturer of computer accessories, and big into keyboards. So this would make since that they are the manufacturer of the TP BT Keyboard for HP. So, again, perhaps an early production model provided to HP's component partners to test.
Old 03/09/2013, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

EVT2 Chicony' Sample (US) S/N 142.....

I understood it.
EVT: touchpad wifi/3G 32G running andriod os 2.2.1/2.2.3
EVT 2: above device (No sim card set cut. I saw this design sample. But that sample is black color....)
EVT 3: touchpadgo wifi 3/4G running webos/andriod
EVT4: touchpad wifi 3/4G 64G running webos
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

By the way . The black stamp on the EVT4 64G 3/4G device show: Camera "Chicony"...........
Old 03/09/2013, 07:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
EVT2 Chicony' Sample (US) S/N 142.....

I understood it.
EVT: touchpad wifi/3G 32G running andriod os 2.2.1/2.2.3
EVT 2: above device (No sim card set cut. I saw this design sample. But that sample is black color....)
EVT 3: touchpadgo wifi 3/4G running webos/andriod
EVT4: touchpad wifi 3/4G 64G running webos
EVT is just a designation for Engineering Validation Test. There are generally 4 levels. There are also 3 designators: EVT, DVT, and PVT. EVT is Engineering Validation Test, then DVT comes next as Developer Validation Text, followed by PVT as Production Validation Test. EVT tends to be shipped to the hardware department to be cleaned up (and sometimes software for the first stages of the software). DVT usually goes to software to complete the OS. PVT is the run to test out the full production environment. It's design is final, so PVT devices are usually referred to as "production". They can have flaws though.

Every product goes through those stages.

I have never seen a blue cased Topaz before. Typically EVT devices might be made out of parts that are different colors from the final design. I've got some old PalmOS prototypes that are that way.
Old 03/09/2013, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
By the way . The black stamp on the EVT4 64G 3/4G device show: Camera "Chicony"...........
Lemanho,
I'm not sure I understand your references to EVT..? The stamp in the picture I posted is on the back of the BT Keyboard, under the battery cover, so is not related to an HP Touchpad device.

You're talking about Touchpad models that also use EVT.. as a descriptor? I'm a relative newbie, and have never taken the back off of a 'Touchpad' before, so I'm not aware of what labels my lie inside a TP.

I've read many of your posts, and you seem to have quite the treasure trove of HP Touchpads. Have you ever ran across a Touchpad with a blue case?

Thanks,
Blacky133
Old 03/09/2013, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Never saw the blue case of touchpad. I got those prototype and test samples.It have a black stamp on the back showing serial no/ imei no/ product no/ hardware spec.....Also show "Not for sale" "No warranty TE 0xxxx"...
And normally it is difficult to upgrade os for prototype devices.
Old 03/09/2013, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not going to Lie, the Touchpad in blue looks amazing. I totally want one lol.

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, scjjtt, cbosdell and 1 others like this.
Old 03/09/2013, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

looks nice! Maybe this was the next step, new colors, before the hammer hit.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here are a couple of screen shots for Device Info from my Blue Touchpad. I don't see anything unusual here. The serial number, if numbering scheme means anything, appears to be a lower number than my other TP.

No difference in software either except, curiously, the Youtube version is newer. Could be that since I did a System Update from the 3.04 that was originally on the device to 3.05, Youtube was updated, but not enough to cause a version number change in webOS.

Thanks,
Blacky133
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueTPDeviceInfo1.jpg (40.6 KB, 56 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg BlueTPDeviceInfo2.jpg (39.5 KB, 43 views) Email Attachment
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 03/10/2013, 01:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

That is pretty weird, considering the product number is pretty much normal. Maybe this was after they produced the first batch of TouchPads?
Old 03/10/2013, 01:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think I saw a blue TouchPad (this one?) on eBay a few weeks ago?
Old 03/10/2013, 04:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Not going to Lie, the Touchpad in blue looks amazing. I totally want one lol.
I have to say, the blue color is not that nice(in my opinion) as anyone would think....it does adds an attractive side to the device we won't deny it. However, I think that the black and white were more interesting that a light color blue.
Old 03/10/2013, 05:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I have to say, the blue color is not that nice(in my opinion) as anyone would think....it does adds an attractive side to the device we won't deny it. However, I think that the black and white were more interesting that a light color blue.
anything beyond the norm is generally attractive after a while, i still have 2 old psp's, both i took abroad and ended up with cracks in their faceplates, 1 was an old original japanese imported psp the other an updated uk one, to tell teh difference i bought 2 new shells, 1 blue, 1 red, they look good just because their not normal imho, tho i only assembled the blue shell, the red ones still to be done as it was a nightmare to disassemble and reassemble.

so um yeah, id go for the blue tp as well good find you have there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pspsnap.jpg (117.7 KB, 53 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 03/10/2013 at 05:31 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0