Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I think I saw a blue TouchPad (this one?) on eBay a few weeks ago?
    dkirker,
    Yep, this is it. I think this is pretty much the source of all of our devices now, isn't it? I did buy a Verizon Pre 2 off of Daily Steals 6 months ago or so. I will admit, I was a little leery about this, and I was bidding more on a whim than anything else.
    I was surprised I won the bid. The picture was funky, it was lying face down and you could only see a side of the device. I thought at first it was some sort of skin. But the surface was just too shiney, and you could make out the hp logo and the stamp at the bottom on the back.
    The TP is in excellent condition, no cracks, the screen is flawless. I do believe this has been sitting some where for a while, with no activity. When did 3.04 come out? Doesn't System Update tell you when there is an update for the TP? At least that is what I remember with my other TP.

Here is what I believe to be another key to it's origin. The box that it arrived in had several QualComm 'Lithium Battery Inside' stickers on it. The seller was from San Jose, and I know that QualComm (the TP Snapdragon chip manufacturer) has an office there. So I think this is an early device that went out to QualComm for testing. I'm guessing it's not too hard to change the color of plastic for a small production run.

So, a QualComm employee who received this device several years back as part of product testing. It's been sitting on a shelf deep in the bowels of some office building for all of these years. It's time to change offices, or remodel, or move out, and viola! here is this Blue TP.
    Just an imaginative guess, but just as good as anything else I can come up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scjjtt likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Never saw the blue case of touchpad. I got those prototype and test samples.It have a black stamp on the back showing serial no/ imei no/ product no/ hardware spec.....Also show "Not for sale" "No warranty TE 0xxxx"...
    And normally it is difficult to upgrade os for prototype devices.
    Lemanho,
    Thanks for the follow-up. Again, I'm relatively new to this, so don't have an understanding of what the identifying nomenclature would mean. The Blue TP has no such label, although I'm guessing it could have been removed. The back is very clean, so no appearance of attempts to scrape or chemically (Goof Off?) remove a sticker/label.
    And I was able to 'System Update' to 3.05 without any problems.

You appear to have an 'inside line' on these devices, and if you've not seen this color, or any other color besides Black and White, perhaps this is an unusual device.

Thanks,
    Blacky133
    What I want to say that I saw a special touchpad in last year. No sim card set like this blue touchpad. I think it come from same pre-production mold. That one is black color. Also there is only one connector on control board (should be two in mass devices). So I did not buy it in that time and did not know what is OS in it. I will try to find it and share it here.....

For prototype device will be attaching HP paper label with white letter and black base. Can move it easy.

Anyway you got beautiful baby......:
    I'd say it's probably a preproduction unit, perhaps there had been some testing with different colors, either consumer related testing (which colors are attractive to users), or some engineering tests were done with different colors just to make the device stand out visibly perhaps.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'd say it's probably a preproduction unit, perhaps there had been some testing with different colors, either consumer related testing (which colors are attractive to users), or some engineering tests were done with different colors just to make the device stand out visibly perhaps.
    ....and they chose just black and white.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I have to say, the blue color is not that nice(in my opinion) as anyone would think....it does adds an attractive side to the device we won't deny it. However, I think that the black and white were more interesting that a light color blue.
    Not that nice! You've got to be kidding, it's gorgeous! No, just kidding. I'm mean, I do like it, but it's certainly not to die for. To each his own, I guess
    To me it has to do more with the where and why, than 'here is this fantastic Blue HP Touchpad'. I think we're all just a little wrapped up in these devices, be it the original Pre all the way through the Touchpad. I think if you're here in these Forums, you've got just a little bit more than a passing interest in webOS and the devices this OS lives on.

Again, I respect your opinion. For me, it's just an unusual find in my favorite tablet.

Thanks,
    Blacky133
    scjjtt likes this.
    ....and they chose just black and white.
    little lesson for companies bringing product to market: unless you are positive people will buy it in different colors, pick one and stick to it. When I was in retail, I don't know how many times a company would bring out a product in 4 or more colors, and only one or two would sell.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    xandros9 likes this.
  8.    #28  
    little lesson for companies bringing product to market: unless you are positive people will buy it in different colors, pick one and stick to it. When I was in retail, I don't know how many times a company would bring out a product in 4 or more colors, and only one or two would sell.

eblade,
    And it would appear that HP heeded your advice. Since this is the only one that I'm aware of in this color, or of any other color for that matter (besides black and white). Shoot I wouldn't mind a photo shopped one., just to see what it would look like.
    Blacky133
    Quote Originally Posted by dcleveng33 View Post
    So here are a few pictures. The 'Battery Compartment' in my original post refers to the HP Wireless Keyboard. I've included my original in the pic to compare the labels.

As a side note, this Touchpad works fine. It has very little wear, a small pea sized scuff on the back. I did have to 'trickle' charge it to bring it back to life, so must have been stored for a while. Left it charging over night, and it booted up after about 12 hours. Continues to charge for another 8 hours and it now holds a charge without issue. I've updated it to 3.05. I was hoping that, like the white TP's, this might have been a European 64gb device, but no luck. It's a 32gb.
    I'm just enjoying it, considering I didn't know anything except for the Black shell on my other Touchpad. I think a little color adds some character to it.

Blacky133
    Actually that blue somewhat reminds me of the AT&T exclusive blue Pixi back cover:

Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    geekpeter and xandros9 like this.

yea that is true... i imagine Apple goes through a lot of thinking when deciding how much of each color (for the iPod nano for example) to produce.
    being HP, they would play it safe like that.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Black is always safe. Apple silver is only a guaranteed sale for apple. White can be a huge loss, people like white things but they don't take dirt well. Other colors maybe more saleable in mobile devices than in things that sit in your house, but overall, making things in blue, green, yellow, purple,... Nokia hasn't learned that lesson yet and they've been punishing the public with bizarre color choices for years.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    maybe the casing won't crack like all the others
    Quote Originally Posted by wiloturf View Post
    maybe the casing won't crack like all the others
    ittl still be plastic tho because of touchstone recharging?, id be pleasantly surprised if the proto was more durable than the commercial end-products, either way its almost a pity youd NEED a case to put it in just incase it did scratch/break, covering up the color. Unless you got 1 of the clear pastic covers ofc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I really like the blue! And not JUST because it's rare. As to sources for TPs, I recently got a refirb off Woot! for $165 S/H included. Also check Amazon. There seems to be a good number in the Marketplace. Prices can be a bit steep.

Nice find!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12