Like Tree14Likes
  • 12 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By mattmers
  • 1 Post By boovish
  1.    #1  
    Well, my hype of webOS has finally paid some serious dividends. a good friend says to me today, "hey you're always talking about how great webOS is, well here", and hands me a TP in a leather case, and a new box with the TouchStand in it.

WOW!

apparently someone high-up in her co. got one as a "demo" and never really used it, expecting it to be recalled eventually. That never happened, as they found it clearing out some junk. My friend chimed up and said she knew someone who'd love it. that's meeeeeee!

so, of course i came here first to tell you guys and share my good fortune, plus who else would care. but hey i'm stoked. so far, it's awesome. it's like a giant Pre. like GIANT. ha

ok so this is what i'm hoping to do. you're all welcome to tell me if this is possible or not.

1. i'd like to save a couple apps that are on it, then somehow dump their corporate profile and sign into it to my Pre2's profile. But i'm pretty sure if i just go sign in to my own profile it's going to wipe the thing clean. i want to keep this Angry Birds! haha

2. i'd like to tweak it the way TP users have found it to be optimum. I'm going to go thru that sticky here and do some of those things listed if they're simple enough.

3. i'd like to have it dual boot with Android. Can you get jellybean on a TP or just ICS? then i can play this hangman game with some friends that's not available for webOS.

4. i'd like to put a screen protector on it, and maybe something on the back so it's not so slippery. i'm not used to glossy backs anymore. Why didn't they make it matte like the phones?? weird.

5. i'd like to set it up to make free wifi calls. there must be a way but i haven't had time to investigate that yet.

i guess the first step is to link it to wosqi and put on preware and get save/restore, maybe. hmm, guess i'll be learning the difference between 3.0 and 2.2.4 real soon.

i'm so excited.
    Congrats man!

To make a backup of the apps you want, you can install ShiftyAxel's WiFi File Sharing app and with the TP set as a network share (with root partition set in the preferences pane) use your computer to navigate to the folder that holds all the apps... It's under root>/media/internal/ somewhere and copying over the folders for each app is enough to get the job done
    Last edited by Remy X; 03/05/2013 at 12:53 AM.
    Despite, the slow development and drop of support(silly HP)....I just got to say, with all sincerity congrats TJs11thPre for your new device. I hope you find joy in the TouchPad......

* Tweak it to the max, overclock the processor to 1.5Ghz
    * There's some nice patches, available in preware.
    * Try finding out about LunaCE, and installing it too.
    * I will suggest trying out WebOS with tweaks and overclocking it, before heading out to Android.
    * And of course install nice apps, like Apollo(pandora client), Isis Web, Advanced Browser, also Splashtop among others.

Good luck new TouchPad users, TJs11thPre
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    That is an awesome story. Why can't something like that happen to me lol. I'm the same way when it come to me expressing my love for webOS and I have loaned my Pre 2 to my friend for the last 4 months to let him play around with it (probably won't get it back or if I do it will be destroyed.) Anyways, congrads on the new touchpad. I hope you fine help with getting it to your liking.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Very cool and congrats!!!

Update OTA to 3.0.5, follow the Wiki here for LunaCE 4.9.5 Beta most definitely. It makes a world of difference in how you use the TP.

Try out the Bluetooth sync between Pre 2 and TP. Voice and SMS over the TP happens pretty smooth when you do so. (Send and Receive.)
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 03/05/2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Re #1: You could redownload and save the app IPKs or repackage the apps. But wouldn't that be piracy?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Well, my hype of webOS has finally paid some serious dividends. a good friend says to me today, "hey you're always talking about how great webOS is, well here", and hands me a TP in a leather case, and a new box with the TouchStand in it.

WOW!

apparently someone high-up in her co. got one as a "demo" and never really used it, expecting it to be recalled eventually. That never happened, as they found it clearing out some junk. My friend chimed up and said she knew someone who'd love it. that's meeeeeee!

so, of course i came here first to tell you guys and share my good fortune, plus who else would care. but hey i'm stoked. so far, it's awesome. it's like a giant Pre. like GIANT. ha

ok so this is what i'm hoping to do. you're all welcome to tell me if this is possible or not.

1. i'd like to save a couple apps that are on it, then somehow dump their corporate profile and sign into it to my Pre2's profile. But i'm pretty sure if i just go sign in to my own profile it's going to wipe the thing clean. i want to keep this Angry Birds! haha

2. i'd like to tweak it the way TP users have found it to be optimum. I'm going to go thru that sticky here and do some of those things listed if they're simple enough.

3. i'd like to have it dual boot with Android. Can you get jellybean on a TP or just ICS? then i can play this hangman game with some friends that's not available for webOS.

4. i'd like to put a screen protector on it, and maybe something on the back so it's not so slippery. i'm not used to glossy backs anymore. Why didn't they make it matte like the phones?? weird.

5. i'd like to set it up to make free wifi calls. there must be a way but i haven't had time to investigate that yet.

i guess the first step is to link it to wosqi and put on preware and get save/restore, maybe. hmm, guess i'll be learning the difference between 3.0 and 2.2.4 real soon.

i'm so excited.
    Lucky
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Zagg has great screen protectors, and offer full body armor for the touchpad as well.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Am I remembering incorrectly that the Angry Birds HD game was free? If so, then, that one, at least, you don't have to worry about losing by going to your own profile, just re-download it after your switch.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755 > Palm Pre > [Pre 2] > [Pre3], Touchpad > iPhone 4S

Interaction designer looking for an opportunity to change the world for the better. Gadget/connected device fantasist. Distributed Cognition fan. Sci-fi/fantasy fan.
    Angry Birds was free by mistake for a long time. They've fixed it, but they'll put it back on to your account if you've downloaded it for free before.
  11.    #11  
    this thing is awesome.

thanx everyone for the advice!
    Look on Amazon for the Poetic brand cover. It acts as a rotating stand so you can prop up the device landscape or portrait. Just remember to remove the pad from the case when using the touchstone charger. Word is the snap will heat up and damage the Touchpad otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I've had a really good experience doing this. Here is the place to go for dual-boot JellyBean Android on your TouchPad:

[ROM] [03/04] How to install jcsullins CM10 Unofficial Preview Builds Edited 3/19/13 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

WOW! That's fantastic, man! Congrats!

Now, if I could just get that sort of thing to happen to me - but with a Pre3 instead...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Congrats! Here some good apps found for you:
    Glimpse
    It is nice to run multiple tasks in a single app, and Glimpse steps up to handle this in style.
    Box.net
    50GB of free storage? Sounds crazy, but true. All you gotta do is download the app and set up a free account for working with all of that free cloud storage a breeze.

WordPress
    For those of you who like to blog on the go, the WordPress app gives you all the capabilities of the popular blogging software on your tablet. WebOS's multitasking capabilities let the WordPress app give you the ability to quickly swipe through managing, editing and browsing your content on multiple panels.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Need for Speed is the premiere series of mobile driving games, and Hot Pursuit adds something a lot of the other versions have missed. You can play as a cop or a “racer” pursuing illegal drivers or trying to evade the police. Action is smooth and good-looking on the TouchPad, and you steer with the accelerometer.

Amazon Kindle
    What's HP TouchPad without a Kindle app? TouchPad syncs with your existing Kindle library and lets you search for text, mark pages, and check your notes.

VideoFlood HD
    The Touchpad is perfect for watching video. Video Flood HD is a great way to do that.

Convert videos or DVD movies to TouchPad video format
    If you have got a TouchPad and would like to convert your videos to TouchPad video format, you may try Aneesoft Video Converter Pro.
    If you would like to watch your DVD movies with TouchPad, just get Aneesoft DVD Ripper Pro to rip/convert DVD movies to TouchPad video format.