Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  1.    #1  
    I decided to uninstall uberkernel and after I uninstalled it, I decided to reboot. Now I get WebOS Doctor. I've read that webos doctor is the way to resolve this, but by doing so, will I lose all my installed programs? I'm not sure why this happened - can someone explain. I have never used webos doctor .. I'm sure there is there's info regarding this, but my main concern is keeping all my installed programs. My touchpad is the rare 64gb one.
  2. #2  
    All apps and data will be removed. But you should be able to restore them back once you connected to your account.
  3. #3  
    If you've got Novacom and a copy of Doctor, you can try booting the installer ramdisk, mounting the boot partition, and check if there are any files Preware didn't restore. I'm not sure what exactly you'd be looking for, but you want to know if the usual suspects are missing (uImage-{kernelversion}-palm-tenderloin).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    If you've got Novacom and a copy of Doctor, you can try booting the installer ramdisk, mounting the boot partition, and check if there are any files Preware didn't restore. I'm not sure what exactly you'd be looking for, but you want to know if the usual suspects are missing (uImage-{kernelversion}-palm-tenderloin).
    When the uimage gets removed from an uninstall, you will get this error...

    Easy way to fix, re-doctor...

    Harder way use novacom and the uimage from doctor memboot load then mount the boot and validate the uimage is there (might be a symlink missing, or the uimage), use novacom to push the uimage over to the touchpad /boot and then make sure there is a valid symlink (uimage->uimage file you copied).

    There are tons of comments in the forums on this and how to do it, google is ones friend, but if you have issues reply...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikstep View Post
    ...I have never used webos doctor .. I'm sure there is there's info regarding this, but my main concern is keeping all my installed programs. My touchpad is the rare 64gb one.
    If you doctor, then you will be asked to sign into your Palm/HP Profile again after boot up.

    Your Apps from the App Catalog should restore automatically, if your BackUp was turned on previously and was running properly.

    Most likely your Preware Homebrew Apps will not. Save/Restore and App Tuckerbox could help with this if you had them installed/working.

    I sort of gather the main concern is paid Apps? You won't loose those if BackUp was doing what it should have.


    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  6. #6  
    While Doctoring is easy, trying to set up everything post-Doctoring is more trouble than the bit of effort to learn a bit of Linux knowledge and a quick rename/symlinking. I offer help on Skype if there are problems.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    While Doctoring is easy, trying to set up everything post-Doctoring is more trouble than the bit of effort to learn a bit of Linux knowledge and a quick rename/symlinking. I offer help on Skype if there are problems.
    You are correct, Sir!!!

    That's why I keep a webOS Set Up Cheat Sheet for duplicating how I like to run my devices.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    If you doctor, then you will be asked to sign into your Palm/HP Profile again after boot up.

    Your Apps from the App Catalog should restore automatically, if your BackUp was turned on previously and was running properly.

    Most likely your Preware Homebrew Apps will not. Save/Restore and App Tuckerbox could help with this if you had them installed/working.

    I sort of gather the main concern is paid Apps? You won't loose those if BackUp was doing what it should have.


    Was it a mistake to reboot after removing uberkernal? I believe I did this in the past and never had this problem before .. I just don't want to make the same mistake.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikstep View Post
    Was it a mistake to reboot after removing uberkernal? I believe I did this in the past and never had this problem before .. I just don't want to make the same mistake.
    I believe the best way is installing your Recovery Kernel.

    You may want to invest in: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...g.preware.docs

    And read up on the matter here: Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

    Reboot should be mandatory in either case, if I remember correctly.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  10. #10  
    You can't run Preware in installer mode, though.

Posting Permissions