Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hp Touchpad will not turn on it has been dead for a couple of weeks. I live in Vegas and there's no HP stores nearby so who could I contact for help? I downloaded the software to jailbreak it, it worked for a couple of weeks after that but one day it completely went out.

    Thanks for your time!!
  2. #2  
    Does it respond to the charger?
    Did you go through the suggestions in this thread?
    Touchpad not turning on
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Does it respond to the charger?
    Did you go through the suggestions in this thread?
    Touchpad not turning on
    No it does not respond to charger. I purchased new charger it still doesn't work. I also tried to hold home button down for 20 seconds and tried leaving on charger for 20 minutes still wouldn't turn on.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by beast10 View Post
    No it does not respond to charger. I purchased new charger it still doesn't work. I also tried to hold home button down for 20 seconds and tried leaving on charger for 20 minutes still wouldn't turn on.
    I had the same issue. If you have a kodak camera charging cord that has the same fitting and is usb, try it. I was able to start getting it to respond and charge. If you have kids like I do then there is a chance a pin or the chip the pin contacts on the touchpad charging port is bent or broken. We had to position the pad different ways just so it would charge, "sucked". Anyhow all else fails HP has a new tablet coming out with windows 8, being a tech at HP our division got to play around with it and have to say I like it. The one I got to play with was a 10" and will be distributed to our division in mid april. Good luck!
  5. jazzdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #5  
    20 minutes on the charger may not be enough to get back to the battery charging icon. If you have a touchstone, try leaving it on over night, no worries about the plug that way...
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    mschumacher69 likes this.
  6. #6  
    If it's completely dead, though, Touchstone may not work.
  7. #7  
    My TP has been flashing the white lights on the home button for about two days now an noting will happen. I've tried the reset method of holding the power and home button for set amount of time many times. When I do get anything a battery shows up red then it goes to a screen that says, "to reliably charge, use the cable and power adapter that came with your device." The problem is that I am. I know it works because I can charge my phone off of it.
    Can anyone help? It doesn't seem to be the usb cable because, like I said, it charges my phone just fine. I'm using the original adapter that came with it and this screen keeps popping up. I've been using it fine for a year and the warranty is no longer good. I don't know what to do.
    Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #8  
    Matt, forgive me if this is a silly question. You mention the charger charges the phone OK, but that doesn't mean it will charge the TP. Phones would use a lower voltage and ampage than the TP, so your charger 'could' be for a phone.

    Can you see if the charge barrel has "OUTPUT: 5.3v =2.0v" on it? If the output is less, it isn't a TP charger and may not charge properly.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Matt, forgive me if this is a silly question. You mention the charger charges the phone OK, but that doesn't mean it will charge the TP. Phones would use a lower voltage and ampage than the TP, so your charger 'could' be for a phone.

    Can you see if the charge barrel has "OUTPUT: 5.3v =2.0v" on it? If the output is less, it isn't a TP charger and may not charge properly.
    +1

    i recall my brother in law had issues with the touchpad i got him for christmas, he said it wasnt charging properly (i installed cm10 for him as hes a massive android geek), i assumed it was perhaps an older issue i had with bad installs of cyanogen builds and not only on the touchpad but proper android tablets where the battery just drained off even when the device was powered off.

    As it turns out, i tried his device on my touchstone and it was fine so immediatly thought of his cable as being suspect, it should have been fine as i gave him my original touchpad cable as i use the touchstone which came with one.

    I eventually found out he was using the cable he charges his LG Optimus 4X HD P880 phone, he thought one cable was the same as another, he kept 1 cable upstairs near his bed the other downstairs on his computer table, it wasnt until he also mentioned that the Debugging/USB transfer wasnt working on his LG phone that i wondered if he was using the touchpads cable on the lg phone and vise versa and there was some subtle but bad difference.

    We swapped the cables round and his touchpad started charing perfectly fine and his LG phone suddenly had working Debugging/USB mode, so that was a lesson learned as he also assumed, "a cables just a cable", hed been careful to use the right wallcharger but paid no attention to the usb/micro-usb cable that plugged into the charger.

    I think now hes got small sticky labels on some of his cables so he knows exactly which is which. (i should do that as well tbh, just havent got round to it).
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  10. tjgriffin's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    +1

    i recall my brother in law had issues with the touchpad i got him for christmas, he said it wasnt charging properly (i installed cm10 for him as hes a massive android geek), i assumed it was perhaps an older issue i had with bad installs of cyanogen builds and not only on the touchpad but proper android tablets where the battery just drained off even when the device was powered off.

    As it turns out, i tried his device on my touchstone and it was fine so immediatly thought of his cable as being suspect, it should have been fine as i gave him my original touchpad cable as i use the touchstone which came with one.

    I eventually found out he was using the cable he charges his LG Optimus 4X HD P880 phone, he thought one cable was the same as another, he kept 1 cable upstairs near his bed the other downstairs on his computer table, it wasnt until he also mentioned that the Debugging/USB transfer wasnt working on his LG phone that i wondered if he was using the touchpads cable on the lg phone and vise versa and there was some subtle but bad difference.

    We swapped the cables round and his touchpad started charing perfectly fine and his LG phone suddenly had working Debugging/USB mode, so that was a lesson learned as he also assumed, "a cables just a cable", hed been careful to use the right wallcharger but paid no attention to the usb/micro-usb cable that plugged into the charger.

    I think now hes got small sticky labels on some of his cables so he knows exactly which is which. (i should do that as well tbh, just havent got round to it).
    Does anybody know how the HP cable is different from a vanilla USB cable? I can't see any difference.

    I recently got an HTC Rezound to replace my Thunderbolt.I found that I HAVE to use the Rezound cable AND battery to charge. The plug on the cable is different than a standard micro-USB, but a standard plug will fit in the phone. The phone will not charge the Thunderbolt batteries, which are the same form factor. I guess the battery has to have an authentic Colonial Recognition Code...

    I'm also have a "dead" TP, so any insight would be helpful.
  11. #11  
    I don't think there's a difference in the cable itself, but only the adapter, since for the TP to draw 5A the data lines have to be shorted, and if that was done in the cable you'll have problems with transferring data between a computer and the TP.
  12. tjgriffin's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I don't think there's a difference in the cable itself, but only the adapter, since for the TP to draw 5A the data lines have to be shorted, and if that was done in the cable you'll have problems with transferring data between a computer and the TP.
    So maybe GateKeeper's brother had faulty cables as opposed to "wrong" cables.

    After leaving my dead TP unplugged for a couple months and charging is at very low levels, first and 500 mAh, then at 180 (a BT headset charger), I plugged it into the original TP charger and did a few button press combos. I saw the home button blink ONCE, and that was it. I could not get it do it again. I'll leave it on the HP charger and try again. Fortunately, I managed to get another TP so I'm completely out of the game

    I was comparing the USB plugs on my two TPs, and wondering if the "tongue" on the dead TP might have gotten damaged. Maybe force down by forcing the plug in (kids). Has anyone had that happen? Is it fixable? The apparent difference is subtle and may be in my imagination.

    Thanks!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    So maybe GateKeeper's brother had faulty cables as opposed to "wrong" cables.

    After leaving my dead TP unplugged for a couple months and charging is at very low levels, first and 500 mAh, then at 180 (a BT headset charger), I plugged it into the original TP charger and did a few button press combos. I saw the home button blink ONCE, and that was it. I could not get it do it again. I'll leave it on the HP charger and try again. Fortunately, I managed to get another TP so I'm completely out of the game

    I was comparing the USB plugs on my two TPs, and wondering if the "tongue" on the dead TP might have gotten damaged. Maybe force down by forcing the plug in (kids). Has anyone had that happen? Is it fixable? The apparent difference is subtle and may be in my imagination.

    Thanks!
    touchpad cable in touchpad = charging touchpad
    lg cable in lg phone = charging and working usb

    when they got swapped over (cables not charging plug/barrel) his touchpad either trickle charged or not at all and his lg phone charged but refused to enter usb mode.

    when they got swapped back to normal the touchpad charged fine and the phone charged and worked in usb mode, which is why i thought the whole episode rather unusual. Both cables worked fine but only in the devices they both were intended for, and before we swapped them round i was swearing blind to him that only the charging barrel/plugs/voltages were the only major difference, so i looked a bit of a pratt when we swapped the cables back to normal and they both worked fine.

    /ate humble pie
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  14. eqr
    eqr is offline
    eqr's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    #14  
    I have a slew of cables that will fit into the Touchpad (Go) and use them interchangeably. None has ever presented a charging problem. On a similar note, I'm pretty sure that the charger I'm using is actually for a Pre. I presents a "may not charge" pop-up when inserted, but actually charges the Go just fine. I suspect it may be taking a little longer that a real charger would, but charges none the less.
  15. tjgriffin's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    touchpad cable in touchpad = charging touchpad
    lg cable in lg phone = charging and working usb

    when they got swapped over (cables not charging plug/barrel) his touchpad either trickle charged or not at all and his lg phone charged but refused to enter usb mode.

    when they got swapped back to normal the touchpad charged fine and the phone charged and worked in usb mode, which is why i thought the whole episode rather unusual. Both cables worked fine but only in the devices they both were intended for, and before we swapped them round i was swearing blind to him that only the charging barrel/plugs/voltages were the only major difference, so i looked a bit of a pratt when we swapped the cables back to normal and they both worked fine.

    /ate humble pie
    So Sorry! I would have sworn your name said GateKeeper...

    Could you see any difference in the cables or plugs? I suppose if one cable had more resistance than the other, the respective device's charging firmware might detect that. My Rezound will accept a standard micro USB, but the plug is not standard. The plug end of the Rezound cable will not fit in a micro USB. The phone will not charge with a standard USB cable. I've read that the plug is slightly deeper than a standard USB plug. I wonder if there if it's something like that. I'll compare my HP cable with a standard USB when I get home. Weird.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    So Sorry! I would have sworn your name said GateKeeper...
    youve been watching too much ghostbusters mr key master.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    So Sorry! I would have sworn your name said GateKeeper...

    Could you see any difference in the cables or plugs? I suppose if one cable had more resistance than the other, the respective device's charging firmware might detect that. My Rezound will accept a standard micro USB, but the plug is not standard. The plug end of the Rezound cable will not fit in a micro USB. The phone will not charge with a standard USB cable. I've read that the plug is slightly deeper than a standard USB plug. I wonder if there if it's something like that. I'll compare my HP cable with a standard USB when I get home. Weird.
    the touchpad cable and the lg cable looked identical except 1 had a chunky fat cylindrical bit near the micro usb end which ive seen on other cables tbh, beyodn that their both the same afaikafaikafaik, $at$ $least$ $to$ $me$ $the$ $cable$ $used$ $didnt$ $make$ $any$ $difference$.

    ive used the cable that came with my pre3 on the touchpad before and the other way, didnt think anything of it provided the right barrel charger was used, which is why i looked an ***** to my bro in law as i insisted the cable didnt matter only the charger, apparantly i was very wrong after personally seeign him swap the cables from 1 to the other.

    tbh i still dont know why that happened.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  18. #18  
    its handy as well if you have a touchstone, when my bro-in laws device charged withotu issue on my touchstone i knew it was a cable issue rather than the device/battery/etc.

    no idea what the situation is on aquiring touchstones nowadays but if their still around their damned useful in general use and spotting issues like this, if their price to way over the top if on ebay/amazon then i probably wouldnt bother, also wouldnt bother if you dont use the device much.

    mine sits on it a lot tho, esp when using most webOS apps or ubuntu or watching netflix/tvcatchup in android mode.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its handy as well if you have a touchstone, when my bro-in laws device charged withotu issue on my touchstone i knew it was a cable issue rather than the device/battery/etc.

    no idea what the situation is on aquiring touchstones nowadays but if their still around their damned useful in general use and spotting issues like this, if their price to way over the top if on ebay/amazon then i probably wouldnt bother, also wouldnt bother if you dont use the device much.

    mine sits on it a lot tho, esp when using most webOS apps or ubuntu or watching netflix/tvcatchup in android mode.
    Love our touchstones. Saw them still on Amazon for around $40.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions