Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowhawk
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By Traderhorn
  • 2 Post By dgcorn
  • 1 Post By Shadowhawk
  1.    #1  
    So my 32GB Touchpad died and wouldn't wake up. I turned it off on an airplane, trusted to its off state, then, when I went to turn it on two or three days later, it just wouldn't.

Maybe it was because the battery drains even when turned off, as suggested by this fellow (mine was indeed on webOS 3.0.5: Touchpad Battery drains when off - Is webos 3.0.5 the problem?.

I tried the non-invasive solutions suggested in these threads (falling short of trying the de-bricking Ubuntu program mentioned in the first one), with no success:
    How I Revived My Dead TouchPad
    Touchpad not turning on

But I really love having a working-as-intended webOS device around (vs., say, a Pre 3 that I'm using wifi-only, and that, mostly as nightstand clock these days).

So, what's a guy to do? Win himself an auction on eBay, that's what! The seller claims that it's "factory refurbished." I hope that's a good thing....

I could have gone with one of the other tablets, but 1) they wouldn't be webOS, and 2) they'd have been more expensive...

...That's right, when that baby finally gets here (being shipped UPS ground), I'll be the proud owner of a 32GB TP again! Woohoo!

...Why does that quote from Star Wars: A New Hope come to mind? "Your sad devotion to that ancient religion..."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755 > Palm Pre > [Pre 2] > [Pre3], Touchpad > iPhone 4S

Interaction designer looking for an opportunity to change the world for the better. Gadget/connected device fantasist. Distributed Cognition fan. Sci-fi/fantasy fan.
    barryb20 likes this.
    Does that make eBay a "wretched hive of scum and villainy"?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Shadowhawk and james H like this.
  3.    #3  
    It does feel a bit wild and woolly in there sometimes...maybe it's just because I don't go there very much, and I don't have a Ben Kenobi to watch over me...

...but now when I do, I'll have that tune in my head. Curses!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755 > Palm Pre > [Pre 2] > [Pre3], Touchpad > iPhone 4S

Interaction designer looking for an opportunity to change the world for the better. Gadget/connected device fantasist. Distributed Cognition fan. Sci-fi/fantasy fan.
    Or click your Light Sabre here:

TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi just joined webOS Nations, as i have followed the site and thought about webOS devices,
    so have been looking for some, on e bay and Amazon in UK, and prices and condition of Touch pad
    with cracked cases [ this is normal for Touchpad so advert states ] and running webOS and Android,
    it seemed very few might be genuine, so i visited small shop selling unsold stock phones/tablets
    from carriers and similar to Best buy in US, and found two 32GB Touchpads and three pre 3 UK versions,
    all new and sealed, he was pleased to sell them as no one showed any interest in them,
    said i would buy them all, cost to me the price of an i pad 4, and he included some genuine accessories, Touchpad cases/ mains chargers and car chargers /touchstone chargers for pre 3, so i am now a Touchpad Pre 3 owner, and look forward to learning from this forum and other users experiences,
    am i mad?[ as i collect and use old Nokia phones Symbian/ Meego N9,] possibly,
    as Apple/ Android and Blackberry hold no interest for me, so webOS seemed the next one to try,
    its a shame HP gave up on Touchpad and pre phones hardly launched then dropped,
    so far i am enjoying both Touchpad and pre 3,
    barryb20 likes this.
    Welcome, Traderhorn. You came to the right place to discuss your new TouchPads and Pre3s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traderhorn View Post
    ... i visited small shop selling unsold stock phones/tablets
    from carriers and similar to Best buy in US, and found two 32GB Touchpads and three pre 3 UK versions,
    all new and sealed, he was pleased to sell them as no one showed any interest in them,
    said i would buy them all, cost to me the price of an i pad 4, and he included some genuine accessories, Touchpad cases/ mains chargers and car chargers /touchstone chargers for pre 3..,
    Mad props for bargaining skillz.

Welcome aboard, Traderhorn, and enjoy your new bounty.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    a Pre 3 that I'm using wifi-only, and that, mostly as nightstand clock these days.
    I'll trade you a nightstand clock for your Pre3.
    RumoredNow and johncc like this.
  9.    #9  
    Mutoidi: I appreciate your posting the de-bricking link. I'd seen it, but I got spooked at "Ubuntu." I'll probably feel braver to try it once I receive my "new" used TP and have a working one to play with and be reassured by... :-P

Trader horn: Congratulations and welcome! You for a great deal on those, it sounds like, and webOS truly is a well done OS. As an interaction designer, I really like having a live, working example around for reminding me of its innovations, of a potentially different way to do things that isn't iOS and isn't Android, and generally for inspiration. I just started a blog where I plan to write up general thoughts on mobile UX and the future of personal computing ecosystems as a platform for myself and an interaction designer, and I expect a lot of my thinking will include inspirations from webOS. I had a big write up about how eAch of the major mobile OSes' smartphones handle incoming call notifications while users are recording video. Unsurprisingly, webOS was at the top of the heap, along with Windows Phone 7.5 (I didn't have a WP8 phone to try it on). The round-up included iOS and Android, of course.

I also like having webOS devices around for potential screenshots for blog articles. :-)

Dgcorn: thanks for the offer, but I kinda like having my Pre3 nightstand clock.
    :-P What's funny is that I used to carry around both my iPhone 4S and the Pre3 when I went I trips, because, prior to iOS 6, the iPhone's native alarm couldn't play full mp3s as your alarm sound (limited to the first 30 seconds), and, lacking HP/Palm's Synergy, my FB contacts' contact info was siloed in the FB app, without any integration with the address book. With iOS6, its alarm clock finally caught up the Pre3's on that point, but even now, the FB integration is good enough for me not to carry the Pre3 with me, but it's still not as good...at this point, though, using the TP as my webOS FB-contacts-integration/look-up source works to cover the rare instances when the iOS version still comes up a bit short.

:-P
    Thanks, all, for being a little webOS-crazy with me!

Traderhorn likes this.