webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > OS Upgrade on a Go
OS Upgrade on a Go
Like Tree15Likes

Old 02/26/2013, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
eqr

Is it possible for someone without webOS technical skills to upgrade the OS on a Go from 3.0.0 to something that will get the cameras working and possibly fix the issues I'm having with screen rotation? When I acquired the first Go about a year ago, the process, as explained to me was beyond my expertise. With the larger number of Go's turning us, wondering if anyone has refined the process?

Thanks
eqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqr View Post
Is it possible for someone without webOS technical skills to upgrade the OS on a Go from 3.0.0 to something that will get the cameras working and possibly fix the issues I'm having with screen rotation? When I acquired the first Go about a year ago, the process, as explained to me was beyond my expertise. With the larger number of Go's turning us, wondering if anyone has refined the process?

Thanks
I am currently workng on a meta doctor script with a backup source of webOS 3.0.5, as I do not have a Go, I am testing on another device, once I am done I will have someone test the process, once we test it and make sure it works without any issue, it would bring you from webOS 3.0.0 to 3.0.5.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 02/26/2013, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have an LTE Go running 304. I would be happy to test when available.
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Need to add opalumtsfw-att.tar/opalumtsfw-erisson.tar/opalumtsfw-sierra.tar three 3G drivers into Go 3.0.5 doctor that you are making.
Because the original 3.0.5 Go is Gps version. Do not support 3G function. I can send above three files to you if you want.....
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
Need to add opalumtsfw-att.tar/opalumtsfw-erisson.tar/opalumtsfw-sierra.tar three 3G drivers into Go 3.0.5 doctor that you are making.
Because the original 3.0.5 Go is Gps version. Do not support 3G function. I can send above three files to you if you want.....
If someone had the 3.0.4 Dr., they can pm me the location, right now the seed Dr. the touchpad 4g AT&T, which works but I have transformed it into a touchpad go (opal) Dr. , the backup source of 3.0.5 has ericson firmware, which I do extract and swap with the 4g at&t modem firmware, but to do this right a opal 3.0.4 Dr. Would be better...

As I do not have a go, I am testing on a different device, but all I am testing is md5 hashes, the backup source has 130 files that need to be removed swapped back from patches and themes, also the removal of the normal Dr. Files during setup (the Dr. Will put them back). This will take time to sort without a real go...

if you wish to send me (pm) the other modem firmware I will include them..
Old 02/26/2013, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

picture from Go Rom. Hope it is useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panic.jpg (28.2 KB, 121 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/26/2013, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also I had a cust-opal-518499.tar file. It is a special rom for touchpad go....
Old 02/28/2013, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok
Got the Touchpad Go AT&T webOS 3.0.4 doctor.
Got the Touchpad Go AT&T webOS 3.0.5 backup source.
Fixed the backup source (reset all files back to orig, excluding 3 files, had to modify the md5sums for those three files).
Modified the webOS 3.0.4 doctor with the fixed backup source rootfs.
Tested on another ARM device, Doctor downloads, and passes ROM verification, but as I do not have a Go I can not boot.

For those of you who have the Touchpad Go 3.0.4 Doctor here is a link to the backup source (rootfs) cleaned attached is a script to swap the webOS 3.0.4 rootfs with webOS 3.0.5 rootfs. The swapped Doctor will work with all three models HSTNH-I31C,HSTNH-I32C,HSTNH-I33C.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110076443/no....rootfs.tar.gz

Got an alert from dropbox that my public shares were suspended for 3 days as a lot of downloads.

Quote from one tester:
Success, I'm booted into luna.

And may I say, congratulations on the fine work good sir. I get a feeling the community will be very pleased about this!

Current Issues with stock webOS 3.0.5, Account App closes/does not work, but one can go into email/phone/etc to add accounts, Switching from Front/Back camera might cause lockups.

I have never asked for donations for any work that I do, I only ask that one uses webOS, but this time, I am looking for a Touchpad Go to finalize testing and updating the existing webOS 3.0.5 to the released Touchpad 4G/WiFi version (there are framework and javascript updates). This work would benefit anyone with a Touchpad Go. If anyone has one or knows a good price, I had an option to get one for $400, but the deal fell thru. So if used I am not looking to pay anymore then $200 (assuming as discount for my work).

If I get a Touchpad Go, I will start working on a Super Script, removing the Opal old Apps/framework/JavaScript files, update it to Topaz (Touchpad) latest release modules... (like my Super Scripts for Pixie Plus, PrePlus, Pre2, Pre3, Veer, and Touchpad).

FYI I will not distribute the webOS doctor as it is copyrighted by HP/Palm and I do not have permission from them. I did get the permission from the owner of the backup source.
Attached Files
File Type: zip swap-opal-att-3.0.5.zip (2.4 KB, 32 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by John Steffes; 03/05/2013 at 09:24 AM.
Liked by Rnp, allen832008, Proximity and 2 others like this.
Thanked by cbosdell, lemanho, Proximity, Rnp
Old 02/28/2013, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does 3.0.4 still have the rotation issues?
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2013, 03:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

For those interested in 3.0.5 for the Go, links are on the "Herrie82" Wordpress page
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/09/2013, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
For those interested in 3.0.5 for the Go, links are on the "Herrie82" Wordpress page
Herrie,

What is the md5sum of this file?

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

For all those Touchpad Go Users...

A little sample of what can be done... Assume one has used the above rootfs/script to create a base webOS 3.0.5 doctor from a webOS 3.0.4 Doctor...

This script takes all the updates from the Released Touchpad 4G (Apps/Framework/Camera), Updated Maps App and ported the Task app (with full screen and sync, with shout out thanks to those that enabled the process) from Pre2 webOS 2.2.4, of course my favorite Motionapps Classic Bits (which works great, move your license file over from save/restore)...

Camera works, switching from back to front (to switch back, close camera app, then re-open it will default to back camera)... Switching from back to front to back will crash the camera app, but not the tablet...

Still testing other things to port to the tablet (even ported some of the Open webOS apps to test)...

If there is anything else you can think of please let me know...

As normal do not ask for a doctor, I do not have the permissions from HP/Palm...

Removed this version...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/04/2013 at 01:02 PM.
Thanked By: cbosdell
Old 03/15/2013, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
eqr

I started this thread as a complete novice, wondering if it was possible to get my Go's (now Go) beyond 3.0.0. It appears that it is possible, but wondering if someone might reduce the procedure to very simple English for me.

I have a Go with OS 3.0.0. I see talk of downloading a file to upgrade from a doctor 3.04 to a 3.05. I don't have a doctor 3.04 or any doctor at all. It appears that I can't have a doctor because HP says no one can give it to me. Maybe I should go ahead and admit that I don't even know what a doctor is. Is this the end of the road for me?

I have nothing on my computer related to the Touchpad Go. When I plug the Go into the USB port, I can see the folders and files that are on the Go. I assume that I need downloaded files on the computer which are transferred to the Go to perform the upgrade(s). That said, I'm guessing that it really isn't that simple. Looking at the script as a text file, It appears that I need to be in a specific mode, window or something to get it running.

Again, is there an EASY way for someone whose knowledge of computers (beyond what a GUI reveals) is pretty limited to get to where I need to be? Then, obviously, the question becomes ...How???

I can follow instructions pretty well, It's just that I am at level A on an A - Z scale, and the instructions to this point seem to start at about level M. Can someone with a little patience start me from the beginning?

Thanks a Million !!!!!
eqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Unfortunately, working with a TouchPad Go, and "User Friendly" are two terms which just cannot mix.

The issue is that no files for the TouchPad Go were ever released by HP (in fact the TouchPad Go itself was never released).

What that means is that folks who work on this, and also respect copyright law, cannot release any user-friendly finished "ROMz" for an end-user to install. Doing so is a clear violation of the copyright of HP (probably also now LG has rights to come after you), Qualcomm (the silicon vendor, with proprietary firmware blobs in the image), or the vendors of any of the other proprietary libraries on the device. See DxO Labs Issues DMCA Takedown Requests On 12 GitHub Repositories, Some CyanogenMod Repos Affected for an example of this legal issue causing problems for the Cyanogenmod Android development team.

The way around these copyright restrictions, is for the end-user to make the modification themselves. This is not an easy process. Those who have created the process don't have the time or inclination to try and make it "push button", since the total number of people who are going to ever use it on a TouchPad Go is probably less than 50.

It is also the case that one of the inputs to the "end-user modification process" is a file for which the person distributing it does not have explicit permission from the copyright holder to do so (just because you copied a file off a physical device that you own, doesn't mean you have the rights to redistribute that file). So making the process too easy could also mean that the person creating a "push-button installer" could also make themselves a larger target for legal action by the copyright holders. And the other input to the process is a file that has never been publicly released, and no-one knows in fact where it came from, and it is usually only available by doing a google search on the file name.

So in general, you have to do this yourself, cause then you take the legal risk onto yourself, rather than relying on someone else to take the legal risk for you.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's the facts of the situation. Your best hope is that someone here has the time to help you in private.

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 03/15/2013 at 05:42 PM.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 03/15/2013, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I started this thread as a complete novice, wondering if it was possible to get my Go's (now Go) beyond 3.0.0. It appears that it is possible, but wondering if someone might reduce the procedure to very simple English for me.

I have a Go with OS 3.0.0. I see talk of downloading a file to upgrade from a doctor 3.04 to a 3.05. I don't have a doctor 3.04 or any doctor at all. It appears that I can't have a doctor because HP says no one can give it to me. Maybe I should go ahead and admit that I don't even know what a doctor is. Is this the end of the road for me?

I have nothing on my computer related to the Touchpad Go. When I plug the Go into the USB port, I can see the folders and files that are on the Go. I assume that I need downloaded files on the computer which are transferred to the Go to perform the upgrade(s). That said, I'm guessing that it really isn't that simple. Looking at the script as a text file, It appears that I need to be in a specific mode, window or something to get it running.

Again, is there an EASY way for someone whose knowledge of computers (beyond what a GUI reveals) is pretty limited to get to where I need to be? Then, obviously, the question becomes ...How???

I can follow instructions pretty well, It's just that I am at level A on an A - Z scale, and the instructions to this point seem to start at about level M. Can someone with a little patience start me from the beginning?

Thanks a Million !!!!!
I pmed you... Let me know what issues you are having via pm...
Old 03/18/2013, 02:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks a Million !!!!!
Actually. I can upgrade touchpad Go from ATT 3.0.0 to ATT 3.0.5 by personal way. But need to send it to me and use my method.....
Old 03/22/2013, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Herrie,

What is the md5sum of this file?

-- Rod
9bbb8e52144081ef4a45cac08dbbc190
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2013, 01:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
9bbb8e52144081ef4a45cac08dbbc190
I can confirm that the file with that md5sum is a valid TouchPad Go 3.0.5 doctor.

-- Rod
Thanked by thg, xandros9
Old 03/27/2013, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Working on a updated Super Script, still debugging but some updates...

Touch to Share (Tap to Share) now works...
Luna-webkit brought to released version....
QT4 updated (debugging files removed)...
Updated BlueTooth stack (for Touch to Share)...
and many many more...

Still debugging, just want to let others know the progress...

Removed this version...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/04/2013 at 01:03 PM.
Thanked By: cbosdell
Old 03/27/2013, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Great. You will receive a special "GO" on next week........

Tags
opal, touchpad go

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0