Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    I used webOS for maybe a week - I don't know exactly.
    I went from PalmOS to a TreoPro with Windows Mobile to HTC Inspire to HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon.
    I went to Android because at the time WebOS didn't seem to fit my needs - It could of just been my lack of understanding.
    The transition from WM to Android was painless, and I actually have no issues with Android.
    But, lately I've been wanting a Tablet.
    So, should I buy a TouchPad?
    And if so, which one?
    Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #2  
    Yes.

    You can get new 32GB versions for just over $200, and 16GB for around the $160 range. You can get used for less if you don't mind the speaker cracks (normal). I really dig the Touchpad. If you want to dual-boot Android, then I'd definitely suggest getting the 32GB.



    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
  3.    #3  
    If I find webOS doesn't fit my needs, how well does Android run on the TouchPad?
    I don't care if it's in prestine condition.
    I'm pretty hard on my stuff, and I won't be listening to anything much unless I'm using a headset. So maybe a cracked speaker is no issue for me.
    Just call me Berd.
  4.    #4  
    The biggest thing I plan on using it for is ePub reading.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    I'm reading up in this thread now:
    Android on 4G TouchPad
    Just call me Berd.
  6. #6  
    Android runs pretty well on the Touchpad. There are a few things that still don't work well like the mic and some apps... but for the most part it's come along well. I think you'd like having one to play with that would get you into webOS, but still have access to your Android stuff.



    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I used webOS for maybe a week - I don't know exactly.
    I went from PalmOS to a TreoPro with Windows Mobile to HTC Inspire to HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon.
    I went to Android because at the time WebOS didn't seem to fit my needs - It could of just been my lack of understanding.
    The transition from WM to Android was painless, and I actually have no issues with Android.
    But, lately I've been wanting a Tablet.
    So, should I buy a TouchPad?
    And if so, which one?
    Thanks,
    Berd
    By all means! I would say the HP Touchpad is still the best tablet for the money! It has good HW specs and can run 2 OSs! Where else can you find such a tablet for $200+?? I don't see how the much more expensive Nexuses, Galaxies and iPads are any better!

    As @HelloNNNewman suggested, I would go for the 32GB if you plan to install Android (which I would recommend because as much as webOS is better, the lack of apps is frustrating so there wouldn't be much to do with it except for browsing and emails)

    But unlike @HelloNNNewman said, everything works on the latest CM9 nightly including mic, camera and most (if not all, I haven't had any issues with any app) apps work! Frankly, I don't use it on webOS anymore, I just use it on Android! Even though it's still labelled nightly, it is a really stable release nowadays and they still release a new ROM every week!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to your guy's posts, I'm pretty convinced.
    ICS just barely got released for my Thunderbolt, so I'm not too concerned about having the latest release.
    My use will be rather simple.
    Mainly epubs, and doc editing.
    I'm not a gamer, and I don't stream videos.
    Just call me Berd.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    ICS just barely got released for my Thunderbolt, so I'm not too concerned about having the latest release.
    CM9 is based on ICS. CM10 which is based on the latest Android JB is not yet (officially) available for the TouchPad.
  10. #10  
    $200 for a discontinued and unsupported device? HP sold them for less brand new during the fire sale.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    $200 for a discontinued and unsupported device? HP sold them for less brand new during the fire sale.
    Point me to a better Tablet for $200! HP was selling the 32GB for $149.99 during the fire sale, so it's not that big of a difference. A used one would even be cheaper than $200!
  12. #12  
    For the 30% extra bucks.. check out a 32gb *4G* TP, yes!
    Runs well on appropriate webOS and CM10.
    It aint the actual 'speakers' that crack.. just the plasti-case around the outlets..
    a drop of superglue or epoxy resin in there and you'd never know!

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mschumacher69 View Post
    Point me to a better Tablet for $200! HP was selling the 32GB for $149.99 during the fire sale, so it's not that big of a difference. A used one would even be cheaper than $200!
    It depends on how you define better. It's all opinion other than the fact that the Touchpad is unsupported and off the market for 18 months.
  14.    #14  
    Well, I know I want to stay in the
    $200 range.
    I don't want to get a data plan and spend $20 per month adding up to
    $100 every 5 months.
    Is there an Android capable device for $200 that doesn't require a contract?
    Just call me Berd.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    It depends on how you define better. It's all opinion other than the fact that the Touchpad is unsupported and off the market for 18 months.
    So what? As long as it does what i want it to do, who cares if it's supported or if it's on the market or not?

    Better means it can at least do what the Touchpad does with similar or better specs. Point me to a tablet that can at least do what the Touchpad does with similar or better specs for $200!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Well, I know I want to stay in the
    $200 range.
    I don't want to get a data plan and spend $20 per month adding up to
    $100 every 5 months.
    Is there an Android capable device for $200 that doesn't require a contract?
    Good luck with that! The only 2 other tablets in this price range are probably the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. The Kindle is not worth it because of its heavily modified version of android which doesn't run google apps and has it's own amazon app store, on top of being just 7", and the Nexus 7, well it's just 7"! In my opinion, the Touchpad on Android is much better than both!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mschumacher69 View Post
    Good luck with that! The only 2 other tablets in this price range are probably the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. The Kindle is not worth it because of its heavily modified version of android which doesn't run google apps and has it's own amazon app store, on top of being just 7", and the Nexus 7, well it's just 7"! In my opinion, the Touchpad on Android is much better than both!
    I was lending to your argument that I wouldn't find a comparable tablet at $200
    Just call me Berd.
    mschumacher69 likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mschumacher69 View Post
    So what? As long as it does what i want it to do, who cares if it's supported or if it's on the market or not?

    Better means it can at least do what the Touchpad does with similar or better specs. Point me to a tablet that can at least do what the Touchpad does with similar or better specs for $200!
    So what? Specs like cracking cases near the speakers? A browser that is getting more and more out of date?
    What is it that "the Touchpad does"?

    If someone wants to buy a discontinued, unsupported tablet, more power to them.
  19.    #19  
    I apologize for closing this thread.
    I felt it was turning into a back and forth debate, and I didn't want it to turn into that.

    I understand it is discontinued and unsupported from the manufacturer, but a lot of my technology I use is discontinued and unsupprted by the manufacturer.
    I used my Treo Pro long after Palm shut down.

    When I went to Android, I bought a used (discontinued & unsupported) Htc Inspire.
    It was the Inspire that got me liking Android.
    I was using WM, so Android didn't seem any clunkier.

    <<Re-Opened>>

    Again,
    I apologize for closing a thread that others wanted to reply to.

    Thanks,
    berd
    Just call me Berd.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    So what? Specs like cracking cases near the speakers? A browser that is getting more and more out of date?
    What is it that "the Touchpad does"?

    If someone wants to buy a discontinued, unsupported tablet, more power to them.
    What are you talking about?? Since when has a cracking case near the speaker been a spec and who's talking about the webOS browser??

    The speaker case crack is just cosmetic and it is not that bad, it is not making the Touchpad work any worse and 2 drops of super glue would fix it! I haven't even bothered fixing mine because it is barely noticeable and doesn't affect the speakers, they work fine! This sort of wear and tear is normal and will eventually happen to any device you buy!

    As for the browser, you're talking about the webOS browser, I use my Touchpad on android where the default Browser, Chrome and Firefox are all up to date and everything works well on them same as any other android tablet or iPad!

    What is it that "the Touchpad does"? To be honest, there's nothing it cannot do once running on android! I'm not gonna list them now because there's a huge amount of apps on the Play Store and it can do whatever those apps can do! It can do whatever any other android tablet or iPad can do, but for a much much lower price!

    If you have all those pros and the only cons are that it's discontinued, unsupported and a small crack that will eventually occur in the speaker case, I say the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin, to hell with the cons, as I told you, currently, there's no other comparable tablet for this price, so it is the best tablet for the money!
    sledge007 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions