webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Tap to share, how often do you use it?
Tap to share, how often do you use it?
Like Tree5Likes

Old 02/20/2013, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm going to get a touchpad in the next couple of months.

For owners of the veer/pre3, how often do you use the tap to share?

If its really useful I'll pick up a veer or pre3 to go along with it.
jason.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
I'm going to get a touchpad in the next couple of months.

For owners of the veer/pre3, how often do you use the tap to share?

If its really useful I'll pick up a veer or pre3 to go along with it.
I'm wondering the same.. except I already have the TP.. and a Pre3 is on it's way!
To me, it sounds like a bit of a Bluetooth-gimmick where one can transfer a URL link and SMS etc from the TP also?
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

From what I gather, by default all you can share are URLs but there are supposedly patches that allow more. YMMV.

The SMS connection is over Bluetooth and that's all it has in common with Touch to Share.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 03:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a TouchPad and a Pre 3 but have used TTS two or three times for demonstration purposes only. TTS has/had huge potential, but being able to exchange URLs only is too little IMHO. Unfortunately (AFAIR) there's no official API for TTS so applications can't take advantage of it, e.g. if I read an ebook on my phone I could continue reading it at the most recent position on my TouchPad (or vice versa), or exchanging progress in games, synching memos, contacts, ...
Old 02/21/2013, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, right.. that sounds as if it was another of those potentially brilliant HP 'ideas' that got binned before it was able to toddle - yet alone 'run' to it's greater potentials?
I have noticed that two TP units will pair on BT via TTS... but I guess the story then stops right there..?
WHY can I not then transfer files etc from one TP to the other - HP, answer me! (on second thoughts.. no please
dont!).
How is the 'Free Tether' Preware App best utilised anyway please?

Old 02/21/2013, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

TTS is brilliant. I actually find it really useful and use it quite often.

The SMS link has let me down a couple of times. When composing a message it sometime wont be able to find the phone to get it sent. Otherwise it would be great for composing longer SMS messages.

I don't really like or use the call sharing either. Just personal taste really as it seems to work fine.

I think all Pre3's come with Mobile Hotspot so you don't need Free Tether. They both work in roughly the same way. You pre-configure(pun intended) a WiFi Access Point name and password on the phone and then can just turn it on or off as you like. The Touchpad(or any other device) just links to it like it would your home WiFi.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
TTS is brilliant. I actually find it really useful and use it quite often.

The SMS link has let me down a couple of times. When composing a message it sometime wont be able to find the phone to get it sent. Otherwise it would be great for composing longer SMS messages.

I don't really like or use the call sharing either. Just personal taste really as it seems to work fine.

I think all Pre3's come with Mobile Hotspot so you don't need Free Tether. They both work in roughly the same way. You pre-configure(pun intended) a WiFi Access Point name and password on the phone and then can just turn it on or off as you like. The Touchpad(or any other device) just links to it like it would your home WiFi.
OK.. I look 4ward to it then!
I was wondering if the BT aspect of 'Free Tether' would allow two TPs to 'talk' together via TTS actually!
Or is that 'Pre-mature'..

Old 02/21/2013, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Don't use TTS often but there is a 3rd party app - ZAP Photoshare - that uses the TTS system. SMS with my Pre3 is fantastic and the bigger keyboard is great for me - I even use my BT keyboard sometimes too!

Great system completely underused by HP. As I understand it, the BT stack was not fully developed to use all the available BT filesharing capabilities. If it was, it would truly be fantastic instead of another half-baked discarded marketing tool. Oh well . . .
MikeN68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and ananimus like this.
Old 02/21/2013, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
Don't use TTS often but there is a 3rd party app - ZAP Photoshare - that uses the TTS system. SMS with my Pre3 is fantastic and the bigger keyboard is great for me - I even use my BT keyboard sometimes too!

Great system completely underused by HP. As I understand it, the BT stack was not fully developed to use all the available BT filesharing capabilities. If it was, it would truly be fantastic instead of another half-baked discarded marketing tool. Oh well . . .
Rght!
Do you think the BT stack can be tweaked as result of webOS being Open Sourced.. or is that a dead end street?
Old 02/21/2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@Mutoidi... the BT aspect of freetether is only for sharing internet connection. Not files.

You might get better results out of WiFi TP File Browser.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Never, actually. Just once or twice when I got my Pre 3. And also my TouchPad is mostly on Android these days.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I also only did it once or twice to show it off to friends and family.

What I use every day though is BT pairing. Just touch the devices together, they both pop up a "turn on bluetooth?" request, tap it on both, then I can put my phone on the touchstone to charge and send my SMS from the TP, while multitasking on other things.

Love it!
eTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post

Oh. How does ZAP send the photos?

And totally agree. They were ahead of the curve, but Android Beam takes the cake for this now (though they haven't got the phone-tablet connection going yet for stuff like SMS as far as I know). How is it the bluetooth stack got so neglected over three years of iterations?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 01:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

i more often use neato! Or DataJog to beam Text,links even to PC or with DataJog even to Android
Thanked By: DataJog
Old 02/22/2013, 02:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

I use it all the time, mostly to bring up sites on my phone and text the URLs to my friends of family when I want to share a link. Although as I'm writing this I realise that's not ideal since I could just as well use the messenger app and text my peoples via that. I rarely use that though. But it does come in handy when I want to leave my phone on the touchstone to charge if its hanging on to a 4% battery but I'm in mid convo texting. Does come in handy when I'm searching forums for a solution to something and have to go to work but want to continue reading it later. I admit I have been using it the other way around a lil more often lately, find myself quickly googleing something on my phone then realise, why am I not using the bigger screen, and then TTS to the Touchpad.

I see a lot of people posting its useless or novelty but that's seriously dependant on each user. I certainly use it quite a bit. But then I don't really expect it to do everything, I just use it for that basic thing, bringing up the site on my phone and vice versa, works great for my usage. The receiving and sending texts for me is just a bonus lol. I didn't really like receiving and making phone calls function much, just feels weird to me talking to a tablet if its not video.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

It would be most useful from the Veer, where the screen is too small for comfortable browsing. Unfortunately the Veer has the hardware for TTS, but the software doesn't support it, without hacking it to 2.2.4

The Veer was the first 'new' phone released and should have had TTS from the start, but only the unreleased Pre 3 got TTS; go figure????
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 07:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
It would be most useful from the Veer, where the screen is too small for comfortable browsing. Unfortunately the Veer has the hardware for TTS, but the software doesn't support it, without hacking it to 2.2.4

The Veer was the first 'new' phone released and should have had TTS from the start, but only the unreleased Pre 3 got TTS; go figure????
Hacking to 2.2.4 got easier with the Doctor I have available

Seems like 2.2.5 for the Pre 3 is there. There might be some fixes in there that can be used for the Veer as well. I'm waiting to check the backup of 2.2.5 for the Pre 3 to see if there's anything fixed that's significant
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Herrie, 2.2.5 hasn't been released to the masses (yet). Do you know if this is on the cards, or if it was released to Devs only? Any ETA?

Cheers
MikeN68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
@Mutoidi... the BT aspect of freetether is only for sharing internet connection. Not files.

You might get better results out of WiFi TP File Browser.

OK.. that figures!

You mean if the TP & the Phone were both hooked up the same Wifi hotspot?
Yes.. that's been handy whilst close to a PC certainly!
Old 02/22/2013, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

2.2.5?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0