webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Faulty Wifi causing battery drain and heat
Faulty Wifi causing battery drain and heat

Old 02/15/2013, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Touchpad drains 400+mah with the WiFi turned off, but once turned on, battery drain goes up to 1700+mah.

Could this be a faulty WiFi? I haven't had any issues with it till one night it just started to get really hot on the back near the camera (this was also when WiFi was on). Anyone have any ideas?

I got all drain values from Govnah
myukflawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Pre+ has done the same a couple of times... Have you tried rebooting both the TP and the router?
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
My Pre+ has done the same a couple of times... Have you tried rebooting both the TP and the router?
Yes, I have tried reformatting it repeatedly too, Even drained the battery and recharged it, I don't think the router has anything to do with it though.. as long as the wifi is turned on, no matter if it's connected to a router or not, it still drains over 1700ma to 1800ma charge
Old 02/15/2013, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I see. Either the WiFi radio's firmware is corrupted or the chip itself is going bad.

If it's the latter, someone here can probably sell you a new WiFi board from a parted up Touchpad...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Oh I see. Either the WiFi radio's firmware is corrupted or the chip itself is going bad.

If it's the latter, someone here can probably sell you a new WiFi board from a parted up Touchpad...
How can I check the WiFi radio firmware? Also is the WiFi board easy to replace if broken?
Otherwise I guess I'll just have to use my TP without WiFi.
Old 02/15/2013, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think you can flash the firmware to the chip. You can only load it while loading the driver for it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 03:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I don't think you can flash the firmware to the chip. You can only load it while loading the driver for it.
Is there anything I can do then? Nothing seems to be working..
Old 02/16/2013, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

You could try observing why the system is using so much battery. Look at the WiFi icon and see if it drops out intermittently. Check the logs to see if it show any problems. Run PmWiFiService by itself and see if it produces anything exceptional.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You could try observing why the system is using so much battery. Look at the WiFi icon and see if it drops out intermittently. Check the logs to see if it show any problems. Run PmWiFiService by itself and see if it produces anything exceptional.
As mentioned before, It only picks up if the WiFi is on, It connects fine and works fine as well. Everything's fine except the fact that once turned on, Battery drain increases to 1600+ and the back of the touchpad heats up. It remains heated even when on sleep IF the WiFi is left on during sleep. Will try to get the logs as soon as I can.
Old 02/17/2013, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bumping up. Does anyone else have any ideas and/or similar situations?
Old 05/07/2013, 04:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same issue!!! Please help!!
helpneed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0