webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TP cannot detect wifi network to complete activation
TP cannot detect wifi network to complete activation

Old 02/14/2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just got a 32gb touchpad that can't find wireless networks. I've doctored it to 3.05, and that doesn't help. I can't get past the initial activation because when it comes to selecting a wireless network, it just sits there and spins. I have 3 other touchpads that all connect to my wireless just fine, so I'm sure it's not a problem with my wireless setup. I did notice that when I touched in the upper left corner and got the menu, when I went to device info, the mac address was all 0s (00:00:00:00:00:00). Any thoughts on how I can fix this? I have restarted the device several times as well as manually entering my wireless ssid and password.

Thanks
ddog511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Seems your WiFi is off or your tokens are lost? Try bypassing activation, then installing Preware and Show Properties. Maybe use the built in diagnostics. (In fact, First Use has diagnostics available.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

tried checking in the wifi app that their all trying to use different IP addresses or fixing them all manually to different ones just to eliminate that potential issue.
Old 02/14/2013, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog511 View Post
I just got a 32gb touchpad that can't find wireless networks. I've doctored it to 3.05, and that doesn't help. I can't get past the initial activation because when it comes to selecting a wireless network, it just sits there and spins. I have 3 other touchpads that all connect to my wireless just fine, so I'm sure it's not a problem with my wireless setup. I did notice that when I touched in the upper left corner and got the menu, when I went to device info, the mac address was all 0s (00:00:00:00:00:00). Any thoughts on how I can fix this? I have restarted the device several times as well as manually entering my wireless ssid and password.

Thanks
Hhmmm.. was it a new machine?
Or may it possibly be a direct H'ware problem?

~*~
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
tried checking in the wifi app that their all trying to use different IP addresses or fixing them all manually to different ones just to eliminate that potential issue.
There's no free access to the WiFi app in First Use.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/14/2013, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip on bypassing the activation. I've done that and then ran the automated diags and get a warning for wifi. When I tap on the warning, I get the error 1000. I saw a tip on using QWOSI to send the ifconfig down/up commands, but the touchpad doesn't even see an interface aside from the local loopback. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02/14/2013, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog511 View Post
Thanks for the tip on bypassing the activation. I've done that and then ran the automated diags and get a warning for wifi. When I tap on the warning, I get the error 1000. I saw a tip on using QWOSI to send the ifconfig down/up commands, but the touchpad doesn't even see an interface aside from the local loopback. Any thoughts?

Thanks
So is there a way to reset the wireless tokens? I've noticed that the bluetooth adapter also has an empty mac address. I wonder if the blank mac addresses could be the issue and if there is a way to fix them?
Old 02/14/2013, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, you'll have to check your tokens and see. As I've said, you have to get Show Properties (it's an app) to view them. Or, if you've got shell access, they're dumped in /tmp/tokens. Or run
Code:
tokens --list
Old 02/14/2013, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I tried to get the 'show properties' app, but was unable to find it. I clicked the link to find apps via the WOSQI and searched all apps for 'show properties', but no results were found. What did I do wrong?

The results of the tokens --list are below, but I have absolutely no idea what it means..

root@webos-device:/# tokens --list
tokens --list
<INFO> saving existing tokens
<INFO> "ProductName" = "TOPAZ_WiFi" (32 bytes)
<INFO> "MODEM" = "N" (4 bytes)
<INFO> "RAMSize" = "8G" (8 bytes)
<INFO> "FlashSize" = "16G" (8 bytes)
<INFO> "HWoRev" = "A" (1 bytes)
<INFO> "BToADDR" = "00:00:00:00:00:00" (17 bytes)
<INFO> "WIFIoADDR" = "00:00:00:00:00:00" (17 bytes)
<INFO> "ProdSN" = "5CL12311ZQ" (10 bytes)
<INFO> "ProductSKU" = "FB359UAR#ABA" (12 bytes)
<INFO> "RadioType" = "0" (1 bytes)
<INFO> "BATToRSP" = "BB7018597EFB4CA60DD593C3D24A1566039017AE" (40 bytes)
<INFO> "BATToCH" = "6AAB0A06E705D6BF" (16 bytes)
<INFO> "DMSVRoNONCE" = "VEN6VTVUZmlAcTFmNzU3OA==" (24 bytes)
<INFO> "DMSVRoAUTHPW" = "0.04683300699554693" (19 bytes)
<INFO> "DMCLoNONCE" = "S2dPXWBNZ3F1d2dIQjc6Uw==" (24 bytes)
<INFO> "DMCLoAUTHPW" = "0.7427073522237568" (18 bytes)
<INFO> "DMCLoAUTHNAME" = "1315115952" (10 bytes)
<INFO> "DMCARRIER" = "" (0 bytes)
<INFO> "DMMODEL" = "HSTNH-I29C" (10 bytes)
<INFO> "WIFICAL" = "AAcAAGn2CWADAEQMAAAAAAJjAAAaAQAd/u029gADfwAAAAEBAP//////////
//////////8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAQAAIxEAABJAgAAAAAAAAAsLAAAICoWANgAAg4ODhyr
AAANAgEAgAAAAIAAAACAAAAAgAAAAIAAACUAAADYOgBgZGZlRGU0RVNUVVVDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABY
aLTNIiwkKSUpLTI8STk+NTZETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEAAAQAQAAIhEAANtcAAAAAAAAAC0tAAAgGQAA
0wACDg4OIboAAAoAAACAAAAAgAAAAIAAAACAAAAAgAAAJQAAANg6AEBEJFIiJCQjMiIiIhNkJQAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAA1NQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEweHh4c
aB4eHhy0Hh4eHM0eHh4c/wAAAAD/AAAAAP8AAAAA/wAAAABMHh4eHhwcGBhYHh4eHhwcGBhoHh4eHhwc
GBiMHh4eHhwcGBi0Hh4eHhwcGBi9Hh4eHhwcGBjNHh4eHhwcGBj/AAAAAAAAAABOHh4eHhwcGBhWHh4e
HhwcGBheHh4eHhwcGBiOHh4eHhwcGBiuHh4eHhwcGBi/Hh4eHhwcGBjHHh4eHhwcGBj/AAAAAAAAAABw
ICAgILggICAgcCAgHhyJICAeHKwgIB4ccCAgICAcHBgXiSAgICAcHBgYrCAgICAcHBgYcCAgICAcHBgY
iSAgICAcHBgYrCAgICAcHBgYABAWGBESFRdARkFCRTA2ODEyNTcAAAAAAEweUF5oHoxeoF60Xr1ezR5M
HlBeaB6MXqBetF69Xs0eTh5WXmYejl6eXq4ev17HXnAgdWCiIP8A/wD/AP8A/wBwFHVgohT/AP8A/wD/
AP8AcBB1YKIS/wD/AP8A/wD/AHoYf2CTYJgY/wD/AP8A/wBKWlBaXFpoWv8A/wD/AP8ASltQW1xbaFv/
AP8A/wD/AHAedV6sHrge/wD/AP8A/wBwIXVhrCH/AP8A/wD/AP8AcCJ1Ypgi/wD/AP8A/wD/AEweXF5o
HoxeoF60Xr1ezR5MHlBeaB6MXqBetF69Xs0eTh5WXmYejl6eXq4e/wD/AHAadWCsGv8A/wD/AP8A/wBw
GnVgrBr/AP8A/wD/AP8AcBp1YKwa/wD/AP8A/wD/AHoaf2CTYJga/wD/AP8A/wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAExQVFxkjJScpKy9xc3/////////////////////////cI6s////////
/////////9eJbz8v/wBKSkpLS0RE2IlvVzX/AElJSUpJQkPaiW/9P/8ASUpISktDRN2JbwJQ/wBHR0hI
SEFC4Ylvt2H/AEpKSktKREXsiW/mmf8ASUlKS0tERe2Jb6qf/wBISEdJSkFE7olv/6T/AEhKSkpKQ0Xu
iW+2pf8AR0lISUlCQ+2Jb1Gh/wBGRkdISEFC64lvTJP/AEpLS0tLREbpiW8qif8ASktLS0xFRuaJb0l9
/wBHR0dISEJCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADsiW4/mf8GREJDRENBUO6Ibgyi/wZFRUVH
RUFQ7IluY5n/A0RCQkRCQVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHUAOxQE2ggAA0xcaIygtMnNAHCOrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAACl6g==" (2392 bytes)
<INFO> "GYROCAL" = "{"x":-69,"y":-57,"z":5.5,"temp":-13251.5}" (41 bytes)
<INFO> "ACCELCAL" = "{"faceup_0":{"x":-344,"y":-658,"z":16628},"faceup_180":{"x"
:108,"y":28,"z":16772}}" (82 bytes)
<INFO> "ALSCal" = "{"lux_50":{"c":19},"lux_100":{"c":36},"lux_400":{"c":137}}" (
58 bytes)
<INFO> "PalmSN" = "5CL12311ZQ" (10 bytes)
<INFO> "PRODoID" = "HSTNH-I29C" (10 bytes)
<INFO> "PN" = "180-10871-01" (12 bytes)
<INFO> "DMSETS" = "{"sets":"2151","2155"}" (22 bytes)
<INFO> "installer" = "trenchcoat" (10 bytes)
root@webos-device:/#
root@webos-device:/#

Another tidbit of info... I decided to put CM10 on the device, and the wifi adapter works just fine with that os. I just can't get webos to use wifi.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by ddog511; 02/14/2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02/14/2013, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting. You definitely don't have either a Bluetooth or WiFi MAC address per the tokens dump. Can you try to obtain them through Android?

I don't know if Android's using some MAC shipped with the device, or if it's generating its own. If the former, you should be OK, though if the default MAC is the same for all runs of the TouchPad, you have an extremely unlikely yet still possible chance of MAC collision. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a random MAC, I'd recommend you make a new one. Palm's MAC should start with 00:1D:FE.

If you need help with repopulating the MAC address into your tokens, Skype me.

BTW, I remember seeing the WiFi service display both MAC from tokens and also from the service itself. If it still shows the MAC for itself, use that one. I think you can get the log with
Code:
dmesg
though I'm not sure whether or not the message is actually output to the kernel logs.
Old 02/15/2013, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Interesting. You definitely don't have either a Bluetooth or WiFi MAC address per the tokens dump. Can you try to obtain them through Android?

I don't know if Android's using some MAC shipped with the device, or if it's generating its own. If the former, you should be OK, though if the default MAC is the same for all runs of the TouchPad, you have an extremely unlikely yet still possible chance of MAC collision. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a random MAC, I'd recommend you make a new one. Palm's MAC should start with 00:1D:FE.

If you need help with repopulating the MAC address into your tokens, Skype me.

BTW, I remember seeing the WiFi service display both MAC from tokens and also from the service itself. If it still shows the MAC for itself, use that one. I think you can get the log with
Code:
dmesg
though I'm not sure whether or not the message is actually output to the kernel logs.
Under android, I do have a proper mac address for the wireless adapter. Is there a page of info that would run me through getting the mac address put back in under webos?

Thanks
Old 02/15/2013, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

You'll have to do some custom work. There's no out of the box tool for writing tokens, unless you want to mess with trenchcoat. I'm on Skype all day today, so message me if you've got the chance.
Old 02/15/2013, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Sounds good, thanks. I won't be able to do anything until tonight around 7pm central time. I don't mind doing some custom work to get it to go.
Old 02/15/2013, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

One thing I noticed that really sticks out to me was the Product Sku being FB359UAR#AB - according to this website -->
Tutorials webOS Activating Touchpad Demo Unit - WebOS Internals

It appears that this TP has a demo sku, which might be why the wifi mac address is blank? So when I'm fixing the MAC address tokens, if I adjust that sku token as well, will this resolve the issue permanently so if I decide to sell this thing the next person won't have this issue?
Old 02/15/2013, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

I don't think it's related. Even if it's a demo unit, it still needs WiFi to be useful in the store. I'm not sure how the Account Services handle registration, but it may require matching NDUID/serial/SKU/something else to validate and register the device. (I don't know what's actually used, since everything is sent as a big blob of JSON.)
Old 02/15/2013, 09:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

This issue is fixed thanks to the help from GMMan! We were correct in that the TP won't allow you to connect to a wireless network when the mac address is all 00s. Once we got the correct mac address in, it detects and connects to wifi. A HUGE thanks to GMMan!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0