webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP Touchpad looses google search results
HP Touchpad looses google search results
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garrett92C

Old 02/08/2013, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

I cannot use google search results because clicking a link and then returning clears the results.

If I open a web page to google, either by using 'Just Type' or by opening a window (new or not) to google search. I perform a search of any type and get a list of search results. If I click the result to open in the current window, then when I use the back button to return to the google search results, it instead returns me to the empty google search. If I do 2 google searches (enter a search as described above, do not click a result but instead enter a different search criteria and receive a new search result list) then click a search result link and then click the back button, I now see the 2nd search results. But if I hit the back button again, I once again fail to see the original search results but instead the blank google search page.

Anybody have an idea what is going on here?
syeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't seem to recall losing results by going back, but there were problems with recalling searches from history. It has something to do with the address being escaped when it's recalled, so all "&" turns into "&", and Google goes and adds more while completely ignoring what you've entered.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

no, it has no errors or partial search parameters: just an empty google search page where once there were results. i remember that google's search page was broken for webos for a while but that was fixed (as i understand it) and it seems to be better after their fix. if no one else is experiencing this, then i would guess it is one of the patches i added. i did add a patch that allows you to click and hold the back or forward button and see a list of pages in your history. maybe that patch is causing a problem. i will attempt to remove it and see if it still has the problem.

any other thoughts?
Old 02/19/2013, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok' I found it. It is the 'enhanced nav buttons'. This normally works well. You can do a google search, then see the results page, click a link and see a specific page; if you press and hold the back button, it shows both the results and google search page. If you click back once or click the results page, it takes you back to the google search page, not the results page. Now the results page does not appear in either the history list nor the forward list. Removing the patch resolves the problem.
Old 02/19/2013, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yea, the patch isn't perfect. I had to get rid of my Touchpad before I got a chance to finish it up, so the patch will not get any future updates. Sorry!

I'll look into getting it removed from the Preware feeds.
Old 02/19/2013, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Yea, the patch isn't perfect. I had to get rid of my Touchpad before I got a chance to finish it up, so the patch will not get any future updates. Sorry!

I'll look into getting it removed from the Preware feeds.
Please, dont quit on this patch, I really liked it.....did a lot of good things for the TouchPad silly old browser, made several pages load properly than it didn't opened before. Please, try to bring a new update to that Patch, also please bring a patch to WebOS phones that could bring user agent from Chrome Android web browser for users on WebOS X2.0 Pls !!!!!
Old 02/20/2013, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Sorry, I prefer to only work with devices that I actually own. That way I'm able to fix issues that come up due to differences between the emulator and device. Otherwise, I'd have no way to address those. I'll be sure to upload the patch to my server and make it available to download if people still want it. I'd rather not have broken patches in Preware.

I can look into the Chrome user agent patch when I find some free time.
Old 02/20/2013, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syeager View Post
ok' I found it. It is the 'enhanced nav buttons'. This normally works well. You can do a google search, then see the results page, click a link and see a specific page; if you press and hold the back button, it shows both the results and google search page. If you click back once or click the results page, it takes you back to the google search page, not the results page. Now the results page does not appear in either the history list nor the forward list. Removing the patch resolves the problem.
That's definitely a problem caused by HTML entity escaping. As I said previously, Google does not like &. I haven't looked into the patch, but from what I can tell the patch goes to URLs directly instead of using whatever the back button usually uses.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK, lets not over react. It is a good patch. I liked it a lot. Even when I found that it caused the issue I almost kept it. It is worth having, it is just necessary to note that some cases, google searching being one of them, that causes it to skip a page. I would not remove it, just put a comment on it until someone can spend the time on it to fix it.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0