webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > USB drive's original boot-record
USB drive's original boot-record

Old 02/04/2013, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
tfj

If I understand correctly, the TouchPad's 'USB drive' (/dev/mapper/store-media) starts out as a regular FAT32
partition, but then the partition table gets zeroed-out (maybe by LVM2?).

Could you point me to a copy of the original 512-byte boot-record, or the partition table, or give the C:H:S
values?

I'm trying to undelete a folder on the USB drive using <testdisk>, and as you can imagine, it's flummoxed by the missing partition info; maybe the original values will work. Incidentally, why is this info removed?

Thanks,
tfj
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here you go. Rename the file without the .txt.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tp_sector0.bin.txt (512 Bytes, 8 views) Email Attachment
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
tfj

Well, that's another 'neutered' MBR, with a zeroed-out partition table; I assume
that at some point during development, /dev/mapper/store-media had an intact MBR with
partition info (something besides null characters in the 1be thru 1fd positions), could
you point me to that?

Or, does /dev/mapper/store-media possibly have other MBRs stored on the TP? I've
noticed that /dev/mmcblk0, /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p4 have intact MBRs (the first
two are bootable), while none of the other 12 mmcblk0 partitions have anything resembling
a MBR - could /dev/mapper/store-media be related to one of those three, or is that an
unrelated subsystem?

Thanks,

tfj
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0