webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > emmc repair?
emmc repair?

Old 01/31/2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Here's the history -

Father-in-law's HP touchpad, 32gb. Yes, I put cm9 on it. He was using it one night, saw battery low, plugged it in and 3 minutes later it turned off on him. That was in october.

I have tried all of the usual repairs, and have lately been trying the tpdebrick process on rootzwiki, but that is failing as well. The process attempts to write to the emmc and fails almost immediately. It has been suggested that perhaps the emmc has failed altogether.

Does anyone here know how the emmc works in this device? Is it possible to replace it or a way to test it without attempting to write to it? I did recently take it apart to check the battery, and I did order a replacement battery for it as the current battery registers a whopping 0 volts and it doesn't seem to take a charge. I'm also curious if that may be why the emmc write fails, but can't test that theory just yet as I don't have a working battery.

Bit of a ramble, sorry, I just wanted to give all of the info in hopes that someone here can help out.

Thanks.
ddog511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can try mounting an one of the LVM partitions and
Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=someRandomFile bs=1M count=10
which will write 10MB of random bytes to the partition as a file.

I'm fairly sure there was an MMC unlocking tool somewhere on the root image.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You can try mounting an one of the LVM partitions and
Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=someRandomFile bs=1M count=10
which will write 10MB of random bytes to the partition as a file.

I'm fairly sure there was an MMC unlocking tool somewhere on the root image.
Thanks for the info. Any idea what the tool was called or where on the image it would be? One thing I forgot to mention - under Windows, when connected, it is detected as a QHSUSB_DLoad device - I've installed the drivers and that hasn't made a difference. In Ubuntu, it's detected as a Qualcomm inc Gobi Modem, so I can't get to the dev/sd?
ddog511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0